Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Chizz said:
    Bye bye Roy. Pity. 
    The real pity is that Roy Burns and Denly occupy three of the top four batting places. 
    I know I'm stating the obvious but those three should be nowhere near our test side. 
    The fact that they are only emphasises our lack of batsman at the top of the order. 
    It's very easy to pick out players that shouldn't be picked.  But, unless you go into the game with only eight players, you have to replace them. 

So, who would you choose as your two openers and top order batsman who are better, more reliable, more consistent and much more likely to score heavily than those three players, who currently have a 100% win record this Summer? 

:wink:

Chizz said:
    Bye bye Roy. Pity. 
    The real pity is that Roy Burns and Denly occupy three of the top four batting places. 
    I know I'm stating the obvious but those three should be nowhere near our test side. 
    The fact that they are only emphasises our lack of batsman at the top of the order. 
    It's very easy to pick out players that shouldn't be picked.  But, unless you go into the game with only eight players, you have to replace them. 

So, who would you choose as your two openers and top order batsman who are better, more reliable, more consistent and much more likely to score heavily than those three players, who currently have a 100% win record this Summer? 

ink: :There is no one better at the moment that is my point our top order is nowhere near as good as it should be. 
    As for the three of them having a 100%win record this summer. 
    A win against Ireland lol.
    As you say, there's no-one better.  And there can be no more solid reason for picking someone than that. 
  • Having said that, I know two blokes who absolutely deserve to be dropped before the second Test.  The umpires. 
  • Nice to be in the 40's only 1 wicket down for a change! 
  • Mark Wood out for the summer after knee surgery
  • Boycott is full of wisdom:
    England need a lead as we are batting 4th.

• Trivia. No googling. This is on the men’s loo wall at Edgbaston (so I was told) 

Who was the first batsman to face a ball in one day cricket. 
  • Trivia. No googling. This is on the men’s loo wall at Edgbaston (so I was told) 

The opening batsman who takes 1  :p
  • So Root is bowled but not out!
  • That's why Root is called the glue.
  • Sponsored links:

I saw it, because I was there yesterday.  I won't give it away, but it's fair to say he wouldn't be everyone's first choice as a pinch hitter. 

The opening batsman who takes 1  :p
    Its not someone like Boycott is it?

• Chizz said:
    Trivia. No googling. This is on the men’s loo wall at Edgbaston (so I was told) 

I saw it, because I was there yesterday.  I won't give it away, but it's fair to say he wouldn't be everyone's first choice as a pinch hitter. 
    Boycott?
  • Chizz said:
    (Take this with a pinch of salt...) 

Joe Root should have been given out... 

He missed the ball, but was given out.  The Aussies appealed (and, when you appeal, the appeal covers all forms of dismissal).  The umpire gave it out.  Root reviewed.  

So, the review process checked, in order, what had taken place.  It correctly showed the bowler hadn't overstepped.  So it went on to check if he edged it and confirmed he didn't.  They then checked whether it hit the pad (so could check the lbw) and confirmed it didn't.  But, as the appeal covers all dismissals, ball tracker should have been used to determine if he had been bowled.  The ball clipped the stumps, so would have shown up as "umpire's call" and the decision (out) should have stood.  
    I'm going to take a handful of salt on this occasion Chizz!  :D

Amiss? Warks player
  • Chizz said:

He missed the ball, but was given out.  The Aussies appealed (and, when you appeal, the appeal covers all forms of dismissal).  The umpire gave it out.  Root reviewed.  

So, the review process checked, in order, what had taken place.  It correctly showed the bowler hadn't overstepped.  So it went on to check if he edged it and confirmed he didn't.  They then checked whether it hit the pad (so could check the lbw) and confirmed it didn't.  But, as the appeal covers all dismissals, ball tracker should have been used to determine if he had been bowled.  The ball clipped the stumps, so would have shown up as "umpire's call" and the decision (out) should have stood.  
    Being slightly more serious, it would be good to see ball tracker on that delivery, just to see how well it's calibrated, ie would ball tracker confirm the path of the ball hitting the stumps? 
    Gutting!
    Gutting!
    Fuck! That's a careless surgeon.
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Being slightly more serious, it would be good to see ball tracker on that delivery, just to see how well it's calibrated, ie would ball tracker confirm the path of the ball hitting the stumps? 
    Thats not where the problems with ball tracking come in. In that instance the ball tracking would be showing what actually happened. With this ball tracking is as near to 100% accurate as is possible.

The reason we have umpires call and the margin for error in LBW decisions is because the ball hit the pad and so what followed didn't actually happen. They are trying to produce a forecast of where the ball would have gone had it not have been stopped by the pad. They think it is pretty accurate and i trust it fully having looked into the analysis they do on it. However you can never be fully sure where the ball would have gone and so it is right to allow a margin for error or effectively a sensitivity test. Umpires call is, in my analysts opinion, the best way of dealing with the uncertainty. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2019
    Superb session of test Cricket with
    just the one wicket to a Jaffa.
    Good bowling and Disciplined batting.
    Burns and Root : well played Rory and Joe.
  • Got distracted. Yes boycott. 
  • Chizz said:

You are on form today mate.
  • I’ll do the trivia from the ladies loo to avoid spoilers shortly! 
  • Where when and who played in the first international cricket match 
  • And who won 
  • And who won 
    SURREY 
  • I’ll do the trivia from the ladies loo to avoid spoilers shortly! 

Did you see anything else interesting in the men's loo
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    And who won 
    SURREY 
    Was called Rhodesia then wasn't it ;-) 
    Very good!