Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• "They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind"  (Hosea 8:7). 

Cummins and Starc have been attempting to terrorise  English batsmen for the last two series, in this they have succeeded to a large extent. England now have Jofra Archer in the team meaning the game has changed, things have equalised. (Cummins bowled several consecutive bouncers at Archer, not wise.)
    It is never nice to see a batsman hit a sickening blow on the head. Steve Smith has been taunting the England bowlers with his antics at the crease, waving his bat towards fielders and bowlers in a cavalier fashion, generally behaving like an arrogant little punk. Perhaps being hit on the arm and the nut, two VERY nasty blows, will temper his arrogance and make him a little more amenable towards opponents and when captain, encourage him to reign in his bowlers when they attempt to injure and intimidate opposition batsmen who are unable to reciprocate. Archer is well able to reciprocate and the Australian batsmen and bowlers should by now be well aware of this.
    Amusing to read in the papers today that Australian pressmen and officials are accusing English fans and spectators of unsporting behaviour in booing the 'sandpaper boys', especially Smith. Never shy in coming forward, Aussie fans and pressmen have been antagonising English cricketers for decades. Now the boot is on the other foot, they can't deal with it. So far as I am concerned, the nasty little trio of blatant ball tampering cheats should be booed for the rest of their careers. 
    Well said Lincs , seriously English fans are moaning in the grounds about boooooing these cheats I’ve had it in the first two tests ffs
    boreoff lame muppets 
    we don’t give them enough grief , our players would get it ten times worse out there if they’d done the same .
  • edited August 2019
    "They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind"  (Hosea 8:7). 

Cummins and Starc have been attempting to terrorise  English batsmen for the last two series, in this they have succeeded to a large extent. England now have Jofra Archer in the team meaning the game has changed, things have equalised. (Cummins bowled several consecutive bouncers at Archer, not wise.)
    It is never nice to see a batsman hit a sickening blow on the head. Steve Smith has been taunting the England bowlers with his antics at the crease, waving his bat towards fielders and bowlers in a cavalier fashion, generally behaving like an arrogant little punk. Perhaps being hit on the arm and the nut, two VERY nasty blows, will temper his arrogance and make him a little more amenable towards opponents and when captain, encourage him to reign in his bowlers when they attempt to injure and intimidate opposition batsmen who are unable to reciprocate. Archer is well able to reciprocate and the Australian batsmen and bowlers should by now be well aware of this.
    Amusing to read in the papers today that Australian pressmen and officials are accusing English fans and spectators of unsporting behaviour in booing the 'sandpaper boys', especially Smith. Never shy in coming forward, Aussie fans and pressmen have been antagonising English cricketers for decades. Now the boot is on the other foot, they can't deal with it. So far as I am concerned, the nasty little trio of blatant ball tampering cheats should be booed for the rest of their careers. 
    Well said Lincs , seriously English fans are moaning in the grounds about boooooing these cheats I’ve had it in the first two tests ffs
    boreoff lame muppets 
    we don’t give them enough grief , our players would get it ten times worse out there if they’d done the same .
    The Aussie fans were giving Leach plenty of stick yesterday, when he was fielding in front of them (far more than any of their's got off England fans).

The same Aussie fans were taunting the English fans all afternoon as well.
    Tbf it was amusing for the first few hours, but by 5pm it was getting a real pain, with constant shouting of 1-0.
  • edited August 2019
    Tbh, its quite a nice feeling knowing they are going to be taunted and haunted by Archer for the next ten years. It also might be very interesting to have Jimmy and archer in the same side for Trent Bridge ?
    Just need to find another one at that speed in Barbados with a British father. 
    As good as Smith is, he is not going to be the same batsman again, every side with the ammunition is going to pepper him with the short stuff from now on.
  • Lords is probably the only ground where Aus fans would get away with it - certainly at Edgbaston there would likely have been a 'coming together"
  • I wonder if at some time this year Archer might get up to the magic 100mph mark.?
    I suppose the best chance is likely to be up in High Veldt at Wanderers later this year (or is it early next year?)
  • England fans should NOT have booed Smith as he left the field, having been hit.  That was very, very poor and absolutely inexcusable.  

However, the thin-skinned Aussie press should stop bleating about the booing he received when he went out to bat again.  He was either fit to bat - in which case, the booing was absolutely fine - or he wasn't, in which case, he shouldn't have been on his way back to the middle. 

The little cheat deserves every bit of booing that's thrown at him, throughout the season, that one episode at Lord's apart. 
  • Obviously I can't speak for everyone else but I know when Smith left the field of play injured there were plenty, my self included, sportingly clapping him off , then the runt that is David Warner appeared on the 'big screen' in the ground whilst Smith walked off and I started booooing and a few others did as well .

• Anybody heard any news re Smith? 
  • Sponsored links:

• I am just a simple man , my view is....

1) He's a cheat
    2) He's Australian
    3) He has a face like a squashed tomato.

He deserves to be booed.

• Surely England have significant grounds for complaint if Smith plays at Headingly?

The Aussies used the concussion rule to have him replaced with Labuschangne in the 2nd innings at Lords- who basically saved the game for them.

Only to them rule him fit four days later, when the commonly agreed period for such a blow is 7-10 days.

This is why these areas are so difficult, as ultimately teams abuse the system.

• Smith is out of the 3rd Test
  • We won't get a better opportunity to beat them in this series
  • Smith is out of the 3rd Test
    Sauce?
  • Surely England have significant grounds for complaint if Smith plays at Headingly?

The Aussies used the concussion rule to have him replaced with Labuschangne in the 2nd innings at Lords- who basically saved the game for them.

Only to them rule him fit four days later, when the commonly agreed period for such a blow is 7-10 days.

This is why these areas are so difficult, as ultimately teams abuse the system.

Nope. 

If the Aussies' medical team assesses Smith as being fit to start the match, England have no grounds for complaint whatsoever.  We can leave bleating and whingeing to the Aussies - they're very good at it.  

If there were grounds for complaint, it would be around whether they did the right thing at Lord's.  Was he really fit enough to resume his innings within less than an hour of being knocked unconscious (albeit briefly)?  Some might say he wasn't. 

He left the field following an impact to the head, yet continued to bat, showing no ill effects of concussion, but with an obviously injured arm.  Then, the following morning, it was decided to replace him with another batsman.  Isn't it a bit convenient that a player with an injury to his let forearm can be replaced without recourse to any independent medical examination, due to a concussion? The question is, was he fit enough to bat, other than through his head injury?  We don't know.  But some people might think the Aussies have played the system.  Is Smith the type of player who might allow the laws, rules and conditions of play to be bent?  Many people might think so. 

If he's ruled fit for Headingley, that's fine, as far as I am concerned.  But, if so, it might cast even more shade on the draw at Lord's.  

One thing is for certain though.  When he next plays, it's going to be a lot of fun watching Archer bowl exocets at him again. I am going to be glued to it.  Even if I have to watch from behind the sofa. 
  • edited August 2019
    Cricket Australia confirm Smith is out

• edited August 2019
    That’s a blow 😉 (pun intended).
  • Sponsored links:

• I would expect the booing will be louder at Headingley, Yorky folk not particularly known for their openness and forgiveness.
  • Chizz said:
    Well done Archer.  He's only played one Test and he's already dismissed Smith in four innings. 
    To be pedantic,...3 , Woakes got him lbw first innings.
  • Chizz said:
    Well done Archer.  He's only played one Test and he's already dismissed Smith in four innings. 
    To be pedantic,...3 , Woakes got him lbw first innings.
    Well, if one were really being pedantic, it would be zero. But, with the license that's often allowed with retrospective commentary, one could argue that it was Archer that precipitated Smith's demise in the first innings at Lord's and forced his missing of the subsequent three innings.  
  • Nice to see Ollie Pope in the runs, if Jason Roy fails again this test, I would bring Pope in to replace him
  • How about picking a sodding opener?
  • if Roy fails again they HAVE to give Sibley or Dent (who's having just as good a season) a go
  • Leuth said:
    How about picking a sodding opener?

Would score just as many runs and probably safer in the slip corden.
  • Leuth said:
    How about picking a sodding opener?

I would move Denly up to open.