Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Warner has played and missed 12 times in 25 balls.  
  • Bowl jaffas and beat the outside edge time after time

Bowl rubbish down the legside and get a wicket!
    Isn't that always the way.
  • Australia's opening partnerships in this series:

2, 13, 11, 13, 12

Ave: 8.33 (1st inns), 13.00 (2nd inns), 10.20 (overall)

This is the first time in the series that Warner hasn't been first victim ... although he's bloody lucky that he wasn't!
    ... and the Aussie's 2nd wicket partnerships:

15, 14, 49, 6, 13

Ave: 25.67 (1st inns), 10.00 (2nd inns), 19.40 (overall)

England have had the better of the 1st and 2nd wicket partnerships in this series; can they take advantage of Smith not coming in at 4 and being at the crease for wickets 3 to 10?

• Chizz said:
    Warner has played and missed 12 times in 25 balls.  
    Century incoming.......
  • Chizz said:
    I think Archer is going to bowl some blistering pace this morning
    Hmm.  Maybe this afternoon..?
  • I know you can't do much about the rain, but the time it's taken to bring on and take off covers today has been questionable.
  • It would be ideal if they could play the sport that people have paid to watch.

Cricket really doesn't help itself.
  • What an odd day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    "Hello, world. We have a sport where you can put floodlights on and it is still too dark to play. Hope you take it up! Love, England"
    this is why we dont play day/night games...
  • Pathetic.  Rule should be light is poor use the pink ball and floodlights.
  • JUST PLAY THE FUCKING GAME
  • To have only bowled 18 overs with the conditions as they are is an absolute disgrace.
  • This only adds to my point.... President you are just ignorant, I raised an issue that this test is becoming a bit of a farce/ I am losing interest and you just bat it away (pun not intended). Tennis have roofs now, also there could always be an option to allow 2 weeks in between and extra day if this will help to get a result, its a bit of a laughing stock at present (my opinion) and constant stop start doesn't exactly help.
  • Lasagneconvict clips through midwicket for 4 then they take them off?!  he was seeing the ball fine!
  • edited August 2019
    This only adds to my point.... President you are just ignorant, I raised an issue that this test is becoming a bit of a farce/ I am losing interest and you just bat it away (pun not intended). Tennis have roofs now, also there could always be an option to allow 2 weeks in between and extra day if this will help to get a result, its a bit of a laughing stock at present (my opinion) and constant stop start doesn't exactly help.

JB, i am not against your point, its just dem rules are dem rules. After all, the game has been played for over 100 years - do you not think they might have thought about your suggestions since then?

Re the roof, we have already had this discussion to say that to cover a cricket ground (which is much bigger than a Tennis court) is financially impossible.

Also, with the schedules that are now imposed on teams re Tests nowadays (think World Cup too this year) , its no longer a case of being able to have long periods between Tests. Dat is just the way it is.

• This only adds to my point.... President you are just ignorant, I raised an issue that this test is becoming a bit of a farce/ I am losing interest and you just bat it away (pun not intended). Tennis have roofs now, also there could always be an option to allow 2 weeks in between and extra day if this will help to get a result, its a bit of a laughing stock at present (my opinion) and constant stop start doesn't exactly help.

JB, i am not against your point, its just dem rules are dem rules. After all, the game has been played for over 100 years - do you not think they might have thought about your suggestions since then?

Re the roof, we have already had this discussion to say that to cover a cricket ground (which is much bigger than a Tennis court) is financially impossible.

Also, with the schedules that are now imposed on teams re Tests nowadays (think World Cup too this year) , its no longer a case of being able to have long periods between Tests. Dat is just the way it is.

It's probably not feasible to put a roof on existing grounds, especially those grounds that have historic, listed stands.

However, if you build one from scratch ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docklands_Stadium

(OK, it was built primarily for Aussie Rules but cricket and footy are both played on ovals.)
  • edited August 2019
    Covering the ground of a cricket pitch with a roof would transform conditions in a really negative way. plus there’s the financial side, some counties have almost gone under trying to fix up their stadiums to test standard, which are then mostly empty for most county games.

definitely think pink ball is a good idea, but how many 16-80 over old pink balls do you think are hanging around for the umpires to choose? 
  • Sadly Aussies are going nicely at 71 for 2 without Smith.  They could get to about 250 300 still and then we are chasing our tails. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Covering the ground of a cricket pitch with a roof would transform conditions in a really negative way. plus there’s the financial side, some counties have almost gone under trying to fix up their stadiums to test standard, which are then mostly empty for most county games.

definitely think pink ball is a good idea, but how many 16-80 over old pink balls do you think are hanging around for the umpires to choose? 
    There is a new Dukes ball being used in this Ashes series - the seam is bigger on the new ball compared to the normal ball.

It might have been during the Lord's Test that the commentators were discussing the ball and it was mentioned that there have been about 600 balls made (all by hand) for use in this series, a number of which would have been "knocked in" to act as replacements if the one in use goes out of shape.

If a Test was to be played with pink balls or, in the event of bad light, a switch from red to pink was made, I'm sure there would be a suitable supply of pink balls made and "prepared" to simulate variously aged balls.

In Australia I suppose they use 40-grit sandpaper to simulate a 60-over ball, 360-grit for a 10-over ball ...
  • As I said earlier. It's mirroring the second innings of the last test. Balls getting through but not knicking.
    More accuracy needed
  • More accuracy and less Stokes. Get Leach on
  • The problem for Root is that it's a batting pitch, but with tricky overhead conditions and weather. As the weather improves, batting will become comfortable
  • Covering the ground of a cricket pitch with a roof would transform conditions in a really negative way. plus there’s the financial side, some counties have almost gone under trying to fix up their stadiums to test standard, which are then mostly empty for most county games.

There is a new Dukes ball being used in this Ashes series - the seam is bigger on the new ball compared to the normal ball.

It might have been during the Lord's Test that the commentators were discussing the ball and it was mentioned that there have been about 600 balls made (all by hand) for use in this series, a number of which would have been "knocked in" to act as replacements if the one in use goes out of shape.

If a Test was to be played with pink balls or, in the event of bad light, a switch from red to pink was made, I'm sure there would be a suitable supply of pink balls made and "prepared" to simulate variously aged balls.

In Australia I suppose they use 40-grit sandpaper to simulate a 60-over ball, 360-grit for a 10-over ball ...
    It's not a new Dukes ball it's last year's, so there's a limited stock

The Count Championship has used a lower seamed Dukes ball this season, as being played in the spring and autumn, batting is hard enough anyway!
  • and Payne said they would have batted anyway if they won the toss. 
  • This is absolute trash from the change bowlers
  • Yeah we’re being let down here. Broad and archer can’t bowl forever. 
  • Archer looks a bit tired imo 
  • England are probably hoping for another rain break