Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Nice to see Ollie Pope in the runs, if Jason Roy fails again this test, I would bring Pope in to replace him
    Great player obviously but needs to bat 5 or 6. Yep another one of those.

Hes score most of his runs at 6 with a handful of innings at 4 or 5. In no way should he be opening in tests. Although I've constantly said the same about Roy. Roy and Pope would both be quality test much players batting 5 or 6 (with a reasonable top order) but we have about 10 players who would be great in 2 or 3 positions.

Same with foakes. No doubt in my mind he is test quality with bat and behind the stumps. But competing for a very clogged up middle order slot.

Pick an opener if you change anything.
  • Nice to see Ollie Pope in the runs, if Jason Roy fails again this test, I would bring Pope in to replace him

Hes score most of his runs at 6 with a handful of innings at 4 or 5. In no way should he be opening in tests. Although I've constantly said the same about Roy. Roy and Pope would both be quality test much players batting 5 or 6 (with a reasonable top order) but we have about 10 players who would be great in 2 or 3 positions.

Same with foakes. No doubt in my mind he is test quality with bat and behind the stumps. But competing for a very clogged up middle order slot.

Bringing Pope in for Roy, I would put Denly up to open. Ollie Pope is 21 I think he could be an England player for years to come.
  • Judging by comments coming out of the England camp , it looks like they may be considering Roy batting at 4 with Denly opening.

Bringing Pope in for Roy, I would put Denly up to open. Ollie Pope is 21 I think he could be an England player for years to come.
    I'd do that anyway - Roy would be much better at 4.

Denly can do his James Vince impression and get a pretty 20-30 anywhere in the order.

I'd do that anyway - Roy would be much better at 4.

Denly can do his James Vince impression and get a pretty 20-30 anywhere in the order.

I hope Jason Roy makes a big score, I wanted him in the team after the World Cup, but so far he has not convinced me he can play at this level.
  • So, thinking of going to Headingley. Anyone already going? We are looking to buy tickets for Saturday (£100 available) or Sunday (£50 restricted), thinking of driving up early on day, going cricket then driving home following day.  Should I wait for day one to be over first and risk the tickets not being available? hmmmmmm
  • So, thinking of going to Headingley. Anyone already going? We are looking to buy tickets for Saturday (£100 available) or Sunday (£50 restricted), thinking of driving up early on day, going cricket then driving home following day.  Should I wait for day one to be over first and risk the tickets not being available? hmmmmmm

Go for it. Western terrace can get a bit rowdy (especially after tea) but i would expect for 100 smackers that you're in the posh seats.

You've obviously checked the weather? I notice tomorrow they are expecting rain.

Where are you intending on staying? I worked in Leeds for 2 years, so can recommend if you want.

• I see Jason Roy is the latest player to be hit on the head (in net sessions). You do wonder at the modern day technique when facing short deliveries
  • I would imagine that Oz would look to bring Pattinson back, with maybe Siddle being the man to drop out seeing that Hazlewood was one of their better bowlers.

England (in the second innings at least) seemed to have worked out how to play Lyon which was quite encouraging.

• I see Jason Roy is the latest player to be hit on the head (in net sessions). You do wonder at the modern day technique when facing short deliveries
    Roy passed the concussion test this morning and will play.
  • Sponsored links:

I'm sure it won't affect him getting out for 5 and dropping crucial slip catches....
  • I would imagine that Oz would look to bring Pattinson back, with maybe Siddle being the man to drop out seeing that Hazlewood was one of their better bowlers.

England (in the second innings at least) seemed to have worked out how to play Lyon which was quite encouraging.

I didn't think Hazlewood was that good

Siddle does seem to do a job for the side, crucial to have a middle overs workhorse when you only have 4 bowlers

• Ollie Pope has been called up to Leeds to act as standby for Jason Roy for the third #Ashes Test and will play no further part in our match with .

I didn't think Hazlewood was that good

Siddle does seem to do a job for the side, crucial to have a middle overs workhorse when you only have 4 bowlers

Must admit, i only saw him bowl in the second innings, and he was ok,nothing more - but the commentators were raving about his first innings bowling.

Go for it. Western terrace can get a bit rowdy (especially after tea) but i would expect for 100 smackers that you're in the posh seats.

You've obviously checked the weather? I notice tomorrow they are expecting rain.

Where are you intending on staying? I worked in Leeds for 2 years, so can recommend if you want.

Not sure where the tickets are. Looked opposite the main stand when I was showed the map from afar (across the sofa).  More rowdy than the Hollies after tea?

Looking at AirBNB's as want to keep it cheap and flexible as poss and because I'm driving happy to be out of the town centre branded hotels, as they are expensive and difficult to park.  Having said that, apparently not much about on Saturday night. 

• Ollie Pope has been called up to Leeds to act as standby for Jason Roy for the third #Ashes Test and will play no further part in our match with .

Further evidence that Denly will probably open, else they would have called for an opener, as Popey wont (or shouldnt) open.
    As part of the concussion test they asked him who he was. Roy replied "Brian Lara".

The England management team said: "Bugger it, it's worth a chance just to see if he can play like Lara against the Aussies on Thursday. You've passed, son."
  • Agree its starting to sound like Denly and Roy are going to swap. 

Which further highlights the shoddy basis the selection for the test match side has taken in the last few years and the fundamental lack of a plan going into this series.

From playing 6 bowlers against India last summer to trying every man and his dog at 3 in the winter (stokes and Bairstow included), picking Foakes then dropping him when he was excellent, Bairstow moving up and down the order, Root batting 3 then saying no more, picking Denly as an opener then sicking him at 4 and trying to shoehorn Roy a middle order player in to open, shambles against Ireland, Rooot deciding (under pressure) to bat 3 on the eve of the series, rumours root wants to move back to 4 only 2 matches in, and finally swapping Roy and Denly round after only 2 matches.

Need to get some focus back onto test cricket and actually plan how we want the side to play.

As Surrey are incredibly unlikely to bat again, it'll make little difference to Surrey today. It would have been more of a loss if they had called up Rikki Clarke!
  • edited August 2019
    Agree its starting to sound like Denly and Roy are going to swap. 

Which further highlights the shoddy basis the selection for the test match side has taken in the last few years and the fundamental lack of a plan going into this series.

From playing 6 bowlers against India last summer to trying every man and his dog at 3 in the winter (stokes and Bairstow included), picking Foakes then dropping him when he was excellent, Bairstow moving up and down the order, Root batting 3 then saying no more, picking Denly as an opener then sicking him at 4 and trying to shoehorn Roy a middle order player in to open, shambles against Ireland, Rooot deciding (under pressure) to bat 3 on the eve of the series, rumours root wants to move back to 4 only 2 matches in, and finally swapping Roy and Denly round after only 2 matches.

Need to get some focus back onto test cricket and actually plan how we want the side to play.
    Agreed, the Test side make up has been incredibly erratic. I remember when we laughed after the Aussies shifted Shane Watson up to open...
  • Sponsored links:

• Wow, i've just seen Popes score today - no wonder they called him up - he's certainly hit some form !
  • Agree its starting to sound like Denly and Roy are going to swap. 

Agreed, the Test side make up has been incredibly erratic. I remember when we laughed after the Aussies shifted Shane Watson up to open...
    I think you'll find he changed his name by the Aussie equivalent of deed poll.

He's now legally known as Shane Watson LBW.

Not sure where the tickets are. Looked opposite the main stand when I was showed the map from afar (across the sofa).  More rowdy than the Hollies after tea?

Looking at AirBNB's as want to keep it cheap and flexible as poss and because I'm driving happy to be out of the town centre branded hotels, as they are expensive and difficult to park.  Having said that, apparently not much about on Saturday night. 

Probably not as noisy as The Hollies as its not got a roof, but can get a bit 'naughty' at times. But 100 quid tix wont be there.

Ok, there's an area in Leeds called The Calls which has a few nice establishments on the River Aire - The Aire Bar is good and also The Oracle Bar across the Bridge. There used to be a very cheap Hotel nearby - one of those French chains - Accor?.

Also, if you dont mind the drive (20 mins) , Harrogate is very nice.

You heard it here first
  • Hazlewood was class in our first dig but thought he bowled abosolute shite in the second - was very odd. 
    that is a pity .. did he also pass the 'where's yer brain test' ?
  • Roy scored very highly on the concussion test this morning.  Which is ironic.  
  • Seems that Roy will open.
  • The first test next summer will be at The Oval. This is going to put my whole internal calendar out of synch.
  • Cricindia saying that seems England will bowl first if they win toss.

Also saying Stokes 5,Bairstow 6 and Buttler 7 - so more changes.