Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed. Pg 296 - Start of Deadline Day)

Comments

• Scoham said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Scoham said:
    RedChaser said:
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    A 10 is a striker - one who comes deep for the ball to his feet / head who will play with another who goes on the shoulder or stretches defenders out wide (taylor). 1 more striker will complete the set - aneke and taylor first choice, bonne the up and coming bit part and a pace merchant hopefully to be added who can come on as our modern day martin pringle for the last 20. That or a fox in the box but personally i'd say the pace is more important given that taylor and aneke bot know where the goal is.   
    Bowyer plays a 4-4-2 diamond or 5-3-2/3-5-2 though, so by 10 he means the player at the tip of the diamond, or the attacking midfielder in the 3.
    nope - one of the front 2
    I'm talking about what Bowyer means, not what a number 10 may or may not be historically or in the wider football world. I agree in a 4-4-2 a number 10 is a striker, but Bowyer's talking about a creative attacking midfield role, which can also be described as a number 10. There's more than one definition, a 10 is either a striker dropping deep or an attacking midfielder just behind the striker(s).

Watch the interview linked to above. Bowyer says:

"Chuks is a number 10, so he's a midfielder. So at the moment we have Lyle and Macauley, so we'll be looking to bring in minimum 1 but hopefully 2 more strikers. We know Chuks can adapt, but that's not why we brought Chuks in, we've brought Chuks in to score goals from the middle of the park and to provide because he's very good at assists as well."
    The problem with playing Taylor and Aneke together is that neither of them are an out and out striker. 

Aneke (as we know from what Bowyer has said) will play deeper and Taylor always wanders out wide. So if that happens who is getting into the middle? 

Wasn't so much of a problem last year in league one as we had Grant for half a season or when we were dominating sides like we did in many games, but in the championship (especially in away games) where we might only get 2-3 chances, we need a striker who's going to get in the middle and take a half chance.
    What a goal hanger type of player you mean? An Ajose mark 2 doesn't appeal to me, I'll stick with Taylor & Chuks or a +1 who puts a shift in for the team. 
    Someone like Grant who has the pace and skill to offer a threat in deep or wide positions but is still a striker who will get in goalscoring positions in and around the box. 
    Another Taylor would be good, someone who is equally good at scoring as they are at assisting. 
    Agree though at least we have an alternative already in Aneke. Currently Bonne is our only striker in the Grant mould and Bowyer’s said he’s not here to go straight in.
    I love the optimism 
  • wmcf123 said:
    Scoham said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Scoham said:
    RedChaser said:
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    A 10 is a striker - one who comes deep for the ball to his feet / head who will play with another who goes on the shoulder or stretches defenders out wide (taylor). 1 more striker will complete the set - aneke and taylor first choice, bonne the up and coming bit part and a pace merchant hopefully to be added who can come on as our modern day martin pringle for the last 20. That or a fox in the box but personally i'd say the pace is more important given that taylor and aneke bot know where the goal is.   
    Bowyer plays a 4-4-2 diamond or 5-3-2/3-5-2 though, so by 10 he means the player at the tip of the diamond, or the attacking midfielder in the 3.
    nope - one of the front 2
    I'm talking about what Bowyer means, not what a number 10 may or may not be historically or in the wider football world. I agree in a 4-4-2 a number 10 is a striker, but Bowyer's talking about a creative attacking midfield role, which can also be described as a number 10. There's more than one definition, a 10 is either a striker dropping deep or an attacking midfielder just behind the striker(s).

Watch the interview linked to above. Bowyer says:

"Chuks is a number 10, so he's a midfielder. So at the moment we have Lyle and Macauley, so we'll be looking to bring in minimum 1 but hopefully 2 more strikers. We know Chuks can adapt, but that's not why we brought Chuks in, we've brought Chuks in to score goals from the middle of the park and to provide because he's very good at assists as well."
    The problem with playing Taylor and Aneke together is that neither of them are an out and out striker. 

Aneke (as we know from what Bowyer has said) will play deeper and Taylor always wanders out wide. So if that happens who is getting into the middle? 

Wasn't so much of a problem last year in league one as we had Grant for half a season or when we were dominating sides like we did in many games, but in the championship (especially in away games) where we might only get 2-3 chances, we need a striker who's going to get in the middle and take a half chance.
    What a goal hanger type of player you mean? An Ajose mark 2 doesn't appeal to me, I'll stick with Taylor & Chuks or a +1 who puts a shift in for the team. 
    Someone like Grant who has the pace and skill to offer a threat in deep or wide positions but is still a striker who will get in goalscoring positions in and around the box. 
    Another Taylor would be good, someone who is equally good at scoring as they are at assisting. 
    Agree though at least we have an alternative already in Aneke. Currently Bonne is our only striker in the Grant mould and Bowyer’s said he’s not here to go straight in.
    I love the optimism 
    You don’t see us signing 1 more striker?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:
    PopIcon said:
    Sage said:
    SLP just said Bowyer doesn’t expect any incomings before Welling game Saturday.  

With that in mind I look forward to a week of bickering on here.
    not quite what he said

"“So it could all change quickly.

“I don’t think anyone will be coming in before Welling, but that can change easily.”

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-provides-transfer-update/
    Exactly.

In other words he is saying that at this current moment, we aren't close enough to get in someone before the weekend, but used the Purrington deal as an example as to how it can change quickly, so that would infer he has a little bit of hope that we could do something beforehand but right now, probably not.

As I mentioned previously, it is the first week back for Premier League clubs, things will start to move along now at a quicker rate. If it means we have to wait another 7 days to bring in a few players, but players we actually want, so be it.
    Bickering has already began.
    Who’s bickering?
    Think there was talk of getting him on loan from arsenal 
    I thought he played for Everton and passed away in February.
  • Sage said:
    PopIcon said:
    Sage said:
    SLP just said Bowyer doesn’t expect any incomings before Welling game Saturday.  

not quite what he said

“I don’t think anyone will be coming in before Welling, but that can change easily.”

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-provides-transfer-update/
    Exactly.

In other words he is saying that at this current moment, we aren't close enough to get in someone before the weekend, but used the Purrington deal as an example as to how it can change quickly, so that would infer he has a little bit of hope that we could do something beforehand but right now, probably not.

As I mentioned previously, it is the first week back for Premier League clubs, things will start to move along now at a quicker rate. If it means we have to wait another 7 days to bring in a few players, but players we actually want, so be it.
    Bickering has already began.
    Who’s bickering?
    Not Bobby Bickering- the talented young central midfielder from Stevenage?
  • Out of all the positions we need to fill i'd say GK is the least important, just chuck Maynard-Brewer on the bench and get a loan in late in the window. Midfield is the real problem at the moment
    Not sure Bows wants to fill up one of the 5 loan spots allowed in a squad on a gk, especially when there is cheaper free options
  • Or maybe Bogdan Bike-Ring the not so talented full back from  NV Sloga in Croatia who's happy to take rock bottom wages. 
  • SLP just said Bowyer doesn’t expect any incomings before Welling game Saturday.  

not quite what he said

What's happened to Oztumer then?

Gone from 'on the verge of signing' to hearing absolutely nothing about him. Is he considering other offers, staying at Bolton, or perhaps we're waiting to see if Williams will sign and then we may not need him. Anyone heard anything?
    I suspect there might be contractual issues regarding the wages that Bolton didn’t pay that need to be sorted out before he can leave. No idea if it’s still on or off as far as either parties are concerned.
  • Meanwhile, Tommy Driesen has received a tip-off about an outstanding young talent called Robodinho, who will certainly play for rock bottom wages:

• Redhenry said:
    The stumbling block on all perms is gonna be wages
    @ricky_otto would like a perm.
    Not just a perm - most hairstyles would do. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2019
    Redhenry said:
    The stumbling block on all perms is gonna be wages
    whilst my appearance at the valley this summer was a long way from my outstanding display in 92, i will be willing to take a drop in wages, combine the programme / media role thingy and have a kev keegan perm if it means being part of the squad - just don't give me the number 10 shirt - i want to be somewhere near the goal 
  • SLP just confirmed Williams still training with the back in England.  
  • Thats baffling then as why can trialists play in friendlies and not someone like Williams?

Unless with Jonny's injury problems there are insurance reasons behind it
  • cawley just tweeted that bowyer hoping for bielek back on loan and arsenal have confirmed that we would be there choice

on the subject of arsenal nekitah was seen at wireless festival at the weekend and was asked by a young fan to come to charlton he laughed and said " na man "
    Unfortunately that doesnt seem the case

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-has-his-say-on-in-demand-arsenal-midfielder-as-transfer-talk-grows/

Sounds more like that he's hoping Arsenal will send him back here if they decide to loan him out again
  • It would be sensible practice for Arsenal to loan him to a Championship club as he's taking a big jump from only having ever played League One football to the Premier League - think the main permanent move option for him would be to go to the Bundesliga
  • Sponsored links:

• I understand Bielik's point, he could probably get into a starting XI in the lower Bundesliga and increase his wages.

However, if Arsenal didn't wanna sell and from his interview after the playoff final on our squad harmony, i don't think it would take too much encouragement for him to come back.
  • plus there is the draw of living in London still
    Living in Germany is quite a draw too.
    Living in Germany is quite a draw too.
    i meant if staying in england and going to a champ club that london is a bit better to live than say Birmingham 
  • How can Williams get a pay cut by joining us when he is currently out of contract? 

Literally no sense it makes?

• Dazzler21 said:
    How can Williams get a pay cut by joining us when he is currently out of contract? 

a reduction on what he was earning before.

Players released usually get an extra month so he could well still be being paid for July at whatever rate he was on before.
  • edited July 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    How can Williams get a pay cut by joining us when he is currently out of contract? 

Players released usually get an extra month so he could well still be being paid for July at whatever rate he was on before.
     Was he released? Or did his contract expire? Aren't they seen as different?

Release = Released from the terms of your contract, usually mutually agreed and therefore club can choose to pay you a bit after the release. 
    Expire = Contract Ends, club does not owe you a thing? 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Was he released? Or did his contract expire? Aren't they seen as different?

Release = Released from the terms of your contract, usually mutually agreed and therefore club can choose to pay you a bit after the release. 
    Expire = Contract Ends, club does not owe you a thing? 
    You are correct, it expired.

Players who's contracts have expired will still usually get the extra month. ie Reeves.  Might be different for Williams as it was a short term deal, i don't know.