Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed. Pg 296 - Start of Deadline Day)

Comments

• Do any ‘rumours’ actually turn into signings ?
  • Do any ‘rumours’ actually turn into signings ?
    Depends what you mean by a rumour? That can be anything Cawley naming a player we’re about to confirm as a signing in the same day to a random Twitter account making it all up.
  • Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    A 10 is a striker - one who comes deep for the ball to his feet / head who will play with another who goes on the shoulder or stretches defenders out wide (taylor). 1 more striker will complete the set - aneke and taylor first choice, bonne the up and coming bit part and a pace merchant hopefully to be added who can come on as our modern day martin pringle for the last 20. That or a fox in the box but personally i'd say the pace is more important given that taylor and aneke bot know where the goal is.   
    Bowyer plays a 4-4-2 diamond or 5-3-2/3-5-2 though, so by 10 he means the player at the tip of the diamond, or the attacking midfielder in the 3.
    nope - one of the front 2
    I'm talking about what Bowyer means, not what a number 10 may or may not be historically or in the wider football world. I agree in a 4-4-2 a number 10 is a striker, but Bowyer's talking about a creative attacking midfield role, which can also be described as a number 10. There's more than one definition, a 10 is either a striker dropping deep or an attacking midfielder just behind the striker(s).

Watch the interview linked to above. Bowyer says:

"Chuks is a number 10, so he's a midfielder. So at the moment we have Lyle and Macauley, so we'll be looking to bring in minimum 1 but hopefully 2 more strikers. We know Chuks can adapt, but that's not why we brought Chuks in, we've brought Chuks in to score goals from the middle of the park and to provide because he's very good at assists as well."
    fair enough - can't argue if that's what he said 
  • DOUCHER said:
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    A 10 is a striker - one who comes deep for the ball to his feet / head who will play with another who goes on the shoulder or stretches defenders out wide (taylor). 1 more striker will complete the set - aneke and taylor first choice, bonne the up and coming bit part and a pace merchant hopefully to be added who can come on as our modern day martin pringle for the last 20. That or a fox in the box but personally i'd say the pace is more important given that taylor and aneke bot know where the goal is.   
    Bowyer plays a 4-4-2 diamond or 5-3-2/3-5-2 though, so by 10 he means the player at the tip of the diamond, or the attacking midfielder in the 3.
    I'm talking about what Bowyer means, not what a number 10 may or may not be historically or in the wider football world. I agree in a 4-4-2 a number 10 is a striker, but Bowyer's talking about a creative attacking midfield role, which can also be described as a number 10. There's more than one definition, a 10 is either a striker dropping deep or an attacking midfielder just behind the striker(s).

"Chuks is a number 10, so he's a midfielder. So at the moment we have Lyle and Macauley, so we'll be looking to bring in minimum 1 but hopefully 2 more strikers. We know Chuks can adapt, but that's not why we brought Chuks in, we've brought Chuks in to score goals from the middle of the park and to provide because he's very good at assists as well."
    fair enough - can't argue if that's what he said 
    He does also call him a striker at one point near the end, but I think he’s almost certainly planning on using him in midfield.
    two up top with him supplying the ammunition could be awesome.
    With the shot he’s got, teams aren’t going to know whether to close him down or track runners.
  • ColinTat said:
    Where's the rumour from about Baldock?  After having gone through 3 championship clubs, he must be on very good champ wages.  Can't see it unless he get's a payoff from Reading, which is unlikely with two fat years left on his contract.  Plus he never plays a full season.  Seems most unlikely to me.
    Started from this tweet: 

A journo who covers Reading. How reliable he is we don't know but he has a fair amount of followers, a lot of them being Reading fans and he claims it's reliable news 
  • edited July 2019
    Was told today by a Reading fan we are looking at Sam Baldock.... 
    posted 2nd July... four days before above tweet
  • Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:

The problem with playing Taylor and Aneke together is that neither of them are an out and out striker. 

Aneke (as we know from what Bowyer has said) will play deeper and Taylor always wanders out wide. So if that happens who is getting into the middle? 

Wasn't so much of a problem last year in league one as we had Grant for half a season or when we were dominating sides like we did in many games, but in the championship (especially in away games) where we might only get 2-3 chances, we need a striker who's going to get in the middle and take a half chance.
  • edited July 2019
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:

The problem with playing Taylor and Aneke together is that neither of them are an out and out striker. 

Aneke (as we know from what Bowyer has said) will play deeper and Taylor always wanders out wide. So if that happens who is getting into the middle? 

Wasn't so much of a problem last year in league one as we had Grant for half a season or when we were dominating sides like we did in many games, but in the championship (especially in away games) where we might only get 2-3 chances, we need a striker who's going to get in the middle and take a half chance.
    What a goal hanger type of player you mean? An Ajose mark 2 doesn't appeal to me, I'll stick with Taylor & Chuks or a +1 who puts a shift in for the team. 
  • edited July 2019
    Was told today by a Reading fan we are looking at Sam Baldock.... 
    posted 2nd July... four days before above tweet.

To me that just means someone made up something & an iffy journo picks it up & tweets it to make it look like he has some news. 

We all know people hear something from someone & then post on here as "from the horses  mouth" only to find out the original "rumour" was all made up in the first place. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    RedChaser said:
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:

What a goal hanger type of player you mean? An Ajose mark 2 doesn't appeal to me, I'll stick with Taylor & Chuks or a +1 who puts a shift in for the team. 
    Someone like Grant who has the pace and skill to offer a threat in deep or wide positions but is still a striker who will get in goalscoring positions in and around the box. 
    Exactly. Bowyer likes his strikers to be mobile and pacy.

He'll be looking to bring in, either permanent or loan, a pacy mobile goalscorer like Grant.
    With our budget, I reckon that means a promising young striker from a Prem club.

• Boywer said two for each position so that leaves us needing

GK
    Left sided CH

At least one striker

Another No.10

Three midfielders depending on if Lapslie and Morgan stay or go out on loan

GK
    Left sided CH

At least one striker

Another No.10

Out of that possible 7. I reckon we will get in 5.  Any more i see as a bonus

GK
    Left sided CH

At least one striker

Another No.10

Right sided ch 
    I hope the goalkeeper is perm 
    Another striker on a perm 
    And midfielder on a perm 
    Rest loans 
  • edited July 2019
    Boywer said two for each position so that leaves us needing

GK
    Left sided CH

At least one striker

Another No.10

With Sarr and Pearce, assuming you mean a Right sided CH..

Would say two more strikers with another no 10 if you look at it as needing six players combined to play two strikers and a 10 we have Taylor, Bonne and Aneke. Williams or Oztumer should be 1 with 2 strikers probably 1 of them on loan to complete the six.
  • I have it down as:

Goalkeeper

Midfielder who can also play in defence, or defender who can also play in midfield (someone like Bielik, hopefully it is Bielik)

Midfielder x2

No.10 (hopefully Williams)

Striker x2

Permanent: Goalkeeper, No.10, Striker

The rest on loan. 
  • Dont get your hopes up i would say 
  • Bauer always attacked the ball in the air, regardless of who he was playing alongside therefore you have to assume he was the best at it - I think i'm right in saying Lockyer isn't that type of central defender so i wouldn't be surprised to see a big tall out and out win the ball in the air central defender come in, which would mean possibly one going out - Pearce possibly?? 
  • Sponsored links:

• And if the backup plan is 5 at the back like it was last season we'll definitely need another body in
  • Sage said:
    I have it down as:

Goalkeeper

Midfielder who can also play in defence, or defender who can also play in midfield (someone like Bielik, hopefully it is Bielik)

Midfielder x2

Striker x2

The rest on loan. 
    I thought Bows said he aims for three more signings and 4 loans?
  • Redrobo said:
    Sage said:
    I have it down as:

Goalkeeper

Midfielder x2

Striker x2

The rest on loan. 
    I thought Bows said he aims for three more signings and 4 loans?
    Yes, 3 permanent as I said, goalkeeper, no.10 and striker.

The rest on loan, which are 4 players. Defender/midfielder, 2x midfielders, and a striker.
  • I see Lockyer as the Bielik replacement and Aneke is in for Reeves Bonne for Hacket Fairchild which leaves in squad terms. I think we need nine 
    Maxwell GK
    Bauer RCB
    Cullen MF
    Aribo MF
    Fosu MF
    Williams MF
    Marshall MF 
    Parker ST
    Vetekele ST
  • edited July 2019
    Boywer said two for each position so that leaves us needing

GK
    Left sided CH

At least one striker

Another No.10

Raise your hand if you don’t think we have even half of these by the start of the season. (Raises hand).

GK
    Left sided CH

At least one striker

Another No.10

Raise your hand if you don’t think we have even half of these by the start of the season. (Raises hand).
    We need them all within a week of the first game as the window will be closed, I’m expecting at least 5. Roland always leaves us short, but not 4/5 short.
  • Richard J said:
    I see Lockyer as the Bielik replacement and Aneke is in for Reeves Bonne for Hacket Fairchild which leaves in squad terms. I think we need nine 
    Maxwell GK
    Bauer RCB
    Cullen MF
    Aribo MF
    Fosu MF
    Williams MF
    Marshall MF 
    Parker ST
    Vetekele ST
    Would say Bonne is more Parker than RHF

GK
    Left sided CH

At least one striker

Another No.10

No way we will get 7 new players