Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed. Pg 296 - Start of Deadline Day)

Comments

• Gallagher would be an excellent signing. He's come on in leaps and bounds in recent years, so hopefully this season will be the one where he show's he can hack it in men's football. He's not got much experience but if played alongside midfielders who can coach him through the game we might get a lot out of him
    Yes he is a very good player, and one who I think will be wanted by quite a few clubs, but this is where the loan market is a farce..... the manager is saying Albie Morgan has to go out on loan to learn and meanwhile Charlton are rumoured to take a player with even less experience just because he’s from Chelsea. They play very similar positions so why develop someone else’s player with zero benefit? #limit the loans!
    But it's not zero benefit is it? Albie has a lot to work on and Bowyer evidently feels the Championship isn't the place for him to do it. I would agree; last season Albie started games well and then faded completely out of them by half time. He would be better off getting a loan to L1 or L2 and playing every week as opposed to being dominated in the Championship. If you throw a player in at the wrong level too soon you can kill their confidence. Just look at how long it took Grant to start to look like the player he could be, and it look a L2 loan for him to build that confidence up. Conversely Gallagher is a big strong player who was academy player of the season for a Chelsea team who regularly sweep up in the youth league. These are two players at different stages of development and talent, and the benefit we would get would be having a quality player help us survive in a league that we are currently ill-equipped for.

The loan market isn't a farce, it's literally our only hope of survival with our budget. Teams will lend us their high-potential players for free or a portion of their wages in the hopes that our excellent coaching set-up will benefit them. We're definitely not signing another five players permanently so clever use of the loan market is essential. If they limit the loans we're nutsacked.
    Your missing my point on what the loan system is being exploited for.
    Have you watched U23 games? They are nothing like first team games. Gallagher also a lot to work on, he has never played a first team game and your now saying is a player Charlton should bring in? Based on what? His first team experience? Have you seen Dempsey or Wiredu both of these players have played and beat him on regular occasions. Your blinded by the fact he plays for Chelsea. He can’t even get in the first team pre season squad. He is one of 40 plus players Chelsea want to farm out and sell to the highest bidder. Chelsea may well regularly seeep up youth leagues, that’s because they sweep up every player in sight for ££££.. Your absolutely right to say they are at different stages in their development only you have them round the wrong way, Albie Morgan has far more experience and it would not be a suprise to see him stay. I have no doubt Gallagher will be a very good player but so will Dempsey Morgan and Wiredu.It’s even more odd that your argument on loans is that you think bringing in another 19 year old with no first team experience will make Charlton better equipped. 
  • But Morgan is in our youth setup and Gallagher is in Chelsea's, and chances are he's in Chelsea's because he's a better player or has a higher ceiling than Morgan potential wise. May not be the case, but he's been a part of England youth sides and was voted best Chelsea academy player for a reason. He's also been selected for a couple of first team squads for Chelsea so he's not a million miles from appearing for them. 

IMO Morgan needs a loan out to League 1 flesh out his game, and Gallagher needs to show he's ready for senior football, and we need midfielders that are able to play box to box better than Morgan currently does, and it seems Gallen and Bowyer believe the same
  • sam3110 said:
    But Morgan is in our youth setup and Gallagher is in Chelsea's, and chances are he's in Chelsea's because he's a better player or has a higher ceiling than Morgan potential wise. May not be the case, but he's been a part of England youth sides and was voted best Chelsea academy player for a reason. He's also been selected for a couple of first team squads for Chelsea so he's not a million miles from appearing for them. 

IMO Morgan needs a loan out to League 1 flesh out his game, and Gallagher needs to show he's ready for senior football, and we need midfielders that are able to play box to box better than Morgan currently does, and it seems Gallen and Bowyer believe the same
    Morgan is actually already in the first team set up, Gallagher better ability wise?No he’s not, (in my humble opinion). So he got a player award in the academy? What Championship or league games has he played?  He was part of England youth sides because if you look that’s pretty much all they select, or those in cat 1 clubs. 
    Anyhow I go back to my point that  this is why loans are flawed when you simply keep letting Premier League clubs dictate the market with a saturation of player loans they have no intention of keeping. Let Gallagher show he’s ready for senior football in Chelsea........ oh hang on they don’t do that, they let other clubs do it for them......

• Gallagher would be an excellent signing. He's come on in leaps and bounds in recent years, so hopefully this season will be the one where he show's he can hack it in men's football. He's not got much experience but if played alongside midfielders who can coach him through the game we might get a lot out of him
    Yes he is a very good player, and one who I think will be wanted by quite a few clubs, but this is where the loan market is a farce..... the manager is saying Albie Morgan has to go out on loan to learn and meanwhile Charlton are rumoured to take a player with even less experience just because he’s from Chelsea. They play very similar positions so why develop someone else’s player with zero benefit? #limit the loans!
    But it's not zero benefit is it? Albie has a lot to work on and Bowyer evidently feels the Championship isn't the place for him to do it. I would agree; last season Albie started games well and then faded completely out of them by half time. He would be better off getting a loan to L1 or L2 and playing every week as opposed to being dominated in the Championship. If you throw a player in at the wrong level too soon you can kill their confidence. Just look at how long it took Grant to start to look like the player he could be, and it look a L2 loan for him to build that confidence up. Conversely Gallagher is a big strong player who was academy player of the season for a Chelsea team who regularly sweep up in the youth league. These are two players at different stages of development and talent, and the benefit we would get would be having a quality player help us survive in a league that we are currently ill-equipped for.

The loan market isn't a farce, it's literally our only hope of survival with our budget. Teams will lend us their high-potential players for free or a portion of their wages in the hopes that our excellent coaching set-up will benefit them. We're definitely not signing another five players permanently so clever use of the loan market is essential. If they limit the loans we're nutsacked.
    Have you watched U23 games? They are nothing like first team games. Gallagher also a lot to work on, he has never played a first team game and your now saying is a player Charlton should bring in? Based on what? His first team experience? Have you seen Dempsey or Wiredu both of these players have played and beat him on regular occasions. Your blinded by the fact he plays for Chelsea. He can’t even get in the first team pre season squad. He is one of 40 plus players Chelsea want to farm out and sell to the highest bidder. Chelsea may well regularly seeep up youth leagues, that’s because they sweep up every player in sight for ££££.. Your absolutely right to say they are at different stages in their development only you have them round the wrong way, Albie Morgan has far more experience and it would not be a suprise to see him stay. I have no doubt Gallagher will be a very good player but so will Dempsey Morgan and Wiredu.It’s even more odd that your argument on loans is that you think bringing in another 19 year old with no first team experience will make Charlton better equipped. 
    Except he started Lampard's first game against Bohemians. He has a lot of developing to do sure; if he was getting into Chelsea's actual first team then he would be completely out of our reach. I am very much not blinded by the fact he plays for Chelsea. I think you might be though. You've said yourself that Chelsea hoover up the best talent going at youth level, and Gallagher was still their player of the year. Gallagher is an England youth international you has won the u17 World Cup and the English youth league. Albie played 8 games in L1, and if we're being really honest he only played as much as he did because our squad depth was so limited, and now Bowyer, an exceptional judge of a player, thinks he needs a loan at a lower level to develop. I can see that you're very fixated on our own academy players, which is not a terrible thing, but you are kidding yourself if you think Albie is ahead of Gallagher because he played a couple of games against Gillingham and Rochdale. I like Albie, but I'll trust Bowyer's judgment on his development

Except he started Lampard's first game against Bohemians. He has a lot of developing to do sure; if he was getting into Chelsea's actual first team then he would be completely out of our reach. I am very much not blinded by the fact he plays for Chelsea. I think you might be though. You've said yourself that Chelsea hoover up the best talent going at youth level, and Gallagher was still their player of the year. Gallagher is an England youth international you has won the u17 World Cup and the English youth league. Albie played 8 games in L1, and if we're being really honest he only played as much as he did because our squad depth was so limited, and now Bowyer, an exceptional judge of a player, thinks he needs a loan at a lower level to develop. I can see that you're very fixated on our own academy players, which is not a terrible thing, but you are kidding yourself if you think Albie is ahead of Gallagher because he played a couple of games against Gillingham and Rochdale. I like Albie, but I'll trust Bowyer's judgment on his development
    Not blinded just stating what I’ve seen , I have over the years been able to watch all these players develop , so no I’m not kidding myself. I’m also pointing out by Bowyers own point he needs players with experience in the championship ....
    You equally seem to think Gallagher because he plays for Chelsea youth team is better equipped, I happen to disagree. That is my opinion 
    To be clear they hoover the academy structure up with £££ that is why they have been given a transfer ban. 

• Agree with Sid here. If Bow was letting Albie out on loan, and I’m not saying that isn’t the right thing to do, and replacing him with say Glen Whelan then you can see the sense in that but instead we are saying we can replace him with another youngster who hasn’t played a single moment of first team football but everyone is wetting themselves because he is a Chelsea player and won an award there.

Sid watches a hell of a lot of youth team football so I’m inclined to listen to his views seriously on this.
  • No one on here has the football experience that LB and SG possess - so trust them. If they think Albie needs to go out on loan to improve his defensive game then that’s fine by me. If they believe a Chelsea youngster has something that can improve the current squad - that’s fine by me as well. Let’s just trust in our manager who’s played at the highest level...

• Is Jamie Ward still playing, worth adding to the squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Richard J said:
    Shame about Ajayi I would have liked him.

(gone from Millers to WBA)  .. agreed .. too expensive for us though
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Is Jamie Ward still playing, worth adding to the squad.
    ................. but not worth adding a significant amount to the wage bill.
  • For all the excitement about Oztumer, for a guy who hardly played for Bolton last season, how many of us have actually seen enough of him to justify this excitement. At championship level I haven’t a clue if he will be any good or not 
    Been highly rated at League One level for a while now

Deserved his step up to the Championship last season but shouldnt have been with Bolton

As it is he is still very unproven so could yet be a huge bust - Would like to think he's an upgrade in terms of Ben Reeves though so even if we are relegated we've got a couple of signings who could well stay and make us dangerous in League One, if that were the case (and we have new owners) then you'd hope that we could bounce back from Championship relegation this time better than our last two stints
    Saw him play a couple of times for Peterborough a few years back while being my disabled mates helper (it was free football). There’s no doubt he has a great touch and has great talent but he is a very small lad. I seem to remember he was getting bundled off of the ball a lot. Overall they were mixed performances, failed to win some basic one on ones but created some great attacking movements. My mate said he got injured and never cemented his place in the team, then new manager came in blah, blah
  • Bowyer said we needed more Pratley type experienced players in the squad.

More main concern is that with the exception of Williams and to a lesser extent Amos none of the newbies are proven in the Championship. 

I appreciate what you are saying up to a point. If Bowyer thinks the lad will give us something, then I think he probably will. We haven't signed him so it is all conjecture, but Bowyer knows what he is doing.
  • Joe Ledley? Not a rumour but think he'd be good for us or maybe his wages would be a bit out of our range. 
  • We are shopping in the cheap as chips market
  • Just curious if anyone remembers when we had Scott Sinclair on loan - wasn't a great success. Gallagher may be a very good player but his lack of experience has to be a worry.

How many Chelsea players are out on loan?
  • Just curious if anyone remembers when we had Scott Sinclair on loan - wasn't a great success. Gallagher may be a very good player but his lack of experience has to be a worry.

But Jay Dasilva was excellent and the likes of Mount, Abraham and others have done well 
  • Sponsored links:

• We are picking up players who have played well over the last couple of years but in League 1. The recruitment is similar to Powell’s in our title winning season but of course we are the League above. Plenty of those made the step up and we just need to hope it’s the same this time around. It’s a gamble but Bowyer has no choice. 

My prediction is still that we will finish bottom 6 but won’t be easy to beat and hopefully can scrape through. 
  • wmcf123 said:
    Just curious if anyone remembers when we had Scott Sinclair on loan - wasn't a great success. Gallagher may be a very good player but his lack of experience has to be a worry.

But Jay Dasilva was excellent and the likes of Mount, Abraham and others have done well 
    All loans are hit and miss though

For every Dasilva and Abraham there is a Kaikai and Sinclair

In a way its the loan market that can make a Football seaso  interesting as get it right and you'll get the likes of Huddersfield and Shrewsbury fighting for positions they shouldnt be competing for
  • Gallagher would hopefully be 1 of 5 loan signings, plus maybe another permanent signing. Not all will be first choice, but all will no doubt play a part as subs and when injuries and suspensions happen. The important thing is that they are all good enough.
    That is a very tall order without any money. Gallagher as player of the year in a good Chelsea youth team really must be at the very top of what you can get for nothing.
  • Sage said:
    Can I just say, I’ve just landed and picked up my suitcase, passport control was as clear as the weather the next few days.

Just seen we have signed Oshilaja which is fantastic.

I’ve messaged my mate and asked whether they thought he was a midfielder or whether the one they were on about is someone else. Obviously the time means I won’t get a reply until at least later in the morning. I’m hoping it’s another player and we are very close to an actual midfielder.

Great signing either way and that’s definitely the defence sorted now. 
    Is the weather where you are warmer than the predictions for the UK this week?...or could you have saved a fortune by just going to Bognor instead?
  • wmcf123 said:
    Just curious if anyone remembers when we had Scott Sinclair on loan - wasn't a great success. Gallagher may be a very good player but his lack of experience has to be a worry.

All loans are hit and miss though

For every Dasilva and Abraham there is a Kaikai and Sinclair

In a way its the loan market that can make a Football seaso  interesting as get it right and you'll get the likes of Huddersfield and Shrewsbury fighting for positions they shouldnt be competing for
    If Gallagher does come let's hope he does step up - he needs to get experience at a competitive level rather than academy games.

• You would need to tick some serious boxes to get Chelsea academy POTY, lack of experience doesn’t bother me too much, if Gallen thinks he’s good enough that’ll do for me.
    Yes he was out with a serious condition at start of season 
  • You would need to tick some serious boxes to get Chelsea academy POTY, lack of experience doesn’t bother me too much, if Gallen thinks he’s good enough that’ll do for me.
    Hopefully we'll get a chance to see.
  • edited July 2019
    Oztumer CAM Perm
    Gallagher CM loan
    Whelan CM/CDM (Somehow perm)
    Cullen Loan CM
    ??? Loan CM
    ??? Loan ST
    ??? Loan ST

*IF* the above happened I would be happy.
    Plus what we have added, I think we would be around the 14-19th mark which I would happily take
  • I can't help but feel a lot of if not all of our signings have been made with another campaign in league one in mind. Then when we got promoted we thought well we are not going to be able to any better with our budget now, so stuck with the original targets. I feel the loans may be a little less preconceived.