Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed. Pg 296 - Start of Deadline Day)

Comments

• So since the strongest point of our squad last season in L1 the meaningful players we have lost:

Bauer
    Bielik
    Dijksteel
    Aribo
    Reeves
    Fosu
    Grant
    Vetekele

That is 8 pretty handy players in my book.  I think we have had a great transfer window with players in and Bowyer & Gallen have done a remarkable job on a small budget but be interested to know if people think we are stronger than when the above were all with us... I would say definitely in respect to depth of quality but interested to see if the new lads can compare to the likes of Aribo, Bielik and Grant.

• Oggy Red said:
    Sage said:

Now I know some people might think why would we loan out Bonne? Well, he’s clearly a long term project that Bowyer feels isn’t good enough for the Championship as things stand. As much as training and learning under Bowyer is going to develop him, the young lad needs games, he needs matches at a higher standard than National League and U23s to really put that development to good use. If he were to theoretically go to a League One side, score a handful of goals, we would have a player come back to us in January with more confidence, more experience, and with the belief he could step up and help us if needed. 

Interestingly Bonne, as a teenager has already scored a number of League goals for Colchester, when they were in League One.

Bonne has also scored against Charlton in a competitive match:

"Bonne scored his first Colchester goal since his Lincoln loan on 8 November with the equalising goal in the U's 1–1 draw with Charlton Athletic in the EFL Trophy. He also converted a penalty during the penalty shoot-out, which Colchester won 4–3."

He might currently be judged as not ready for the Championship, but he's already made plenty of League One appearances for Colchester.
    That’s the other side of the coin. He has played football in League One, but not for 3 years at least. Half a season in the league to get used to a better standard again could really do him good.

This is where it’s a shame you can’t have short loans into the professional game anymore. A loan until the end of October to see how he does and get him playing regularly for a couple of months would be perfect in fact.

I guess we will have to see how he does on Tuesday against Forest Green. Bow could well make a decision on his immediate future after that game.
  • According to Wiki, Hemed's mother is Polish so he has a Polish passport so work permit issues aren't a problem
    I didn't know that.

• Jesus what a day! So gutted to miss Saturday's game through work.

• edited August 2019
    So since the strongest point of our squad last season in L1 the meaningful players we have lost:

Bauer
    Bielik
    Dijksteel
    Aribo
    Reeves
    Fosu
    Grant
    Vetekele

That is 8 pretty handy players in my book.  I think we have had a great transfer window with players in and Bowyer & Gallen have done a remarkable job on a small budget but be interested to know if people think we are stronger than when the above were all with us... I would say definitely in respect to depth of quality but interested to see if the new lads can compare to the likes of Aribo, Bielik and Grant.

I'd take Aribo and Bielek (edited) back, possibly Grant but haven't seen replacemts play hardly yet

That's it
  • I think we'll really notice the difference when we compare this year's Carabao Cup first round lineup, when I'd expect most of the new signings to make their first start, compared to the bunch of kids that started last year. It could be a competitive cup team for the first time in a few years.
  • So...
    before we go mad later and go through about 100 pages in eight hours...

Who remembers the first deadline day under Roland? We all thought we were splashing out on Max Gradel and ended up with Polish Pete
    Only sixty pages... and we didn’t even sign Max Gradel. What a rubbish transfer deadline day... :-)
  • My marriage is saved and I haven't felt this positive since that moment at Wembley, just before the own goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• So since the strongest point of our squad last season in L1 the meaningful players we have lost:

Bauer
    Bielik
    Dijksteel
    Aribo
    Reeves
    Fosu
    Grant
    Vetekele

This is my feeling as well. We've brought in a good amount of depth. But I'm not convinced there is quite the quality there as the ones we've lost. Time will tell, but I'd prefer BFG to Lockyer and Dijksteel to Solly, Grant to Aneke (who I think will turn out to be a tremendous signing) and Bielik just full stop. Plus Igor over Bonnne.

Hopefully not done yet. And we have some young players with good pedigree. I'm just not convinced this is quite as good of a squad as people are making it out to be. At least not yet. 
  • edited August 2019
    I think Bowyer has done as well as he could. We can't be sure on the total effect until we get going - Saturday is a bit early for so many new players. What I think we can say, is we are potentially stronger. I didn't think I would be saying that a few days ago.
  • Just a thought... if hemed is a loan too could we be making Cullen permanent ?
  • Just a thought... if hemed is a loan too could we be making Cullen permanent ?
    Nope. Outside of the window now so nothing can be done until January.
  • Isn't his contract up, but with a year extension option? If so, surely he can become a free agent.
  • Have to become a free agent before the window closes.
  • SDAddick said:
    So since the strongest point of our squad last season in L1 the meaningful players we have lost:

Bauer
    Bielik
    Dijksteel
    Aribo
    Reeves
    Fosu
    Grant
    Vetekele

This is my feeling as well. We've brought in a good amount of depth. But I'm not convinced there is quite the quality there as the ones we've lost. Time will tell, but I'd prefer BFG to Lockyer and Dijksteel to Solly, Grant to Aneke (who I think will turn out to be a tremendous signing) and Bielik just full stop. Plus Igor over Bonnne.

Hopefully not done yet. And we have some young players with good pedigree. I'm just not convinced this is quite as good of a squad as people are making it out to be. At least not yet. 
    It’s not a proper comparison. Judge on the quality of the likes of Bielik Aribo and Grant before they started in the 1st team, not after Bowyer had developed them.
  • Thinking about who might play RB, other than Solly. Has JFC filled in at that position before? I seem to vaguely remember it from a while ago but could be mistaken.
  • edited August 2019
    This was always going to be a squad with players who have something to prove, or improve

I think its perfectly acceptable for fans to be excited. 

I cant remember the last time we had a squad of this depth. I was expected the useual Rubbish.

Maybe Bowyers relationship with Roland has grown and there is indeed respect as Bowyer has said. 

Don't get me wrong, Roland has been a disaster for this club,he needs to sell

But in terms of not throwing silly money at players but still building a decent looking squad on a lower budget, if we stay up, interms of selling the club definitely a smart decision. 

But credit to Bowyer, Gallen for doing what they’ve done.

Yesterday supprised me! 

Bauer
    Bielik
    Dijksteel
    Aribo
    Reeves
    Fosu
    Grant
    Vetekele

How many of the players you’ve listed had you seen before we’d signed them? How many of the new players have you seen play?

Judge the window in May, not August. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2019
    I think we have a pretty complete squad and good quality. I'm assuming hemed is still to be announced.

The only obvious gap is back up rb which I'm hoping we will fill with a free. I'd stI'll like to bring Harriot in so we have the option to play with wingers if we need to change something. 

Add Bauer, Aribo, Grant and Dijksteel to that and we would be looking top half surely?

Dijksteel whilst clearly that sale helped fund some moves still hurts the most as it just felt unnecessary. The others We always knew there woukd be a chance of them leaving.

My only question mark is around all the loanees and late incomings buying into the whole ethos. Hoping bow can work his magic.
  • I think we have a pretty complete squad and good quality. I'm assuming hemed is still to be announced.

The only obvious gap is back up rb which I'm hoping we will fill with a free. I'd stI'll like to bring Harriot in so we have the option to play with wingers if we need to change something. 

Add Bauer, Aribo, Grant and Dijksteel to that and we would be looking top half surely?

Dijksteel whilst clearly that sale helped fund some moves still hurts the most as it just felt unnecessary. The others We always knew there woukd be a chance of them leaving.

My only question Markus around all the loanees and late incomings buying into the whole ethos. Hoping bow can work his magic.
    Can Lockyer play RB? He covered Dijksteel pretty effectively on Saturday when he was marauding forwards (miss him already!) and seemed pretty mobile. 
  • Is the Hamed deal dead or can it still be completed today?
  • se9addick said:
    Is the Hamed deal dead or can it still be completed today?
    Seems to be in the balance waiting for the league approval 
  • edited August 2019
    Really pleased with the depth in midfield. Jfc is going to need to be managed and Williams as well and we can now do that. 
  • se9addick said:

Meant to be announced this morning although I stress I know nothing.
  • se9addick said:
    Seems to be in the balance waiting for the league approval 
    Wonder if they're just checking that Brighton released him from his contract with them in time

Else if its a loan why not announce it with Kayal