Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gillingham 0 Charlton 2 - 27/04/19 POST MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Play off final loss heading our way , prepare yourselves at least we can say we went to the new Wembley 

palace safe
    scum safe
    liverpool prem league champions 
    spurs champions league winners 

footballing gods hate us 

what did did we ever do wrong 

we committed the biggest crime today , smashing up toilets ffs if you’ve ever needed an eartha kitt and you can’t find a bog you’ll know what I mean, shitting in the street is soul destroying 
    Didn't do Paula Radcliffe any harm ......:-)

As others have stated, not a game to remember except for the 3 points gained and a stand out performance from our young Joe. My MOM by a country mile. 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    As easy as an away match I have ever seen for Charlton. Gillingham were terrible. Overall it was a gift of three points.

Aribo will not and should not be playing league 1 football next season. Easily the best player in the division way too good for that division.

Gillingham could have  played until next season and they wouldn’t have scored a goal
  • Options
    Looks like Sunderland in the play offs. Have to admit I have a soft spot for them, they are a proper football club. Was definitely hoping they would go up alongside us when I looked at the table a few weeks back. 

They are 3-2 on aggregate against us but I would be confident, win at the valley and draw at the SOL. It's a lottery but the steel of the teams that Bowyer puts out excites me. I think the credit he gets is slightly over the top. Roland is a wanker and we are in trouble next season if he still owns us, but we still have a very good League one squad. But what Bowyer has done is install a fighting spirit which is why we tend to do well in the big games. He knows what we need to do to nick those games and that is why I am confident going into a 4 team tournament. Complete turnaround from the personnel and attitude we had this time last year. 

Sunderland are the only team in the top 6 who have beaten us on aggregate this season but I do believe we go into it with confidence and the ability to grind out 3 results and go up. 
  • Options
    Otherwise, I thought it was a very good performance, especially Cullen, Aribo, Vetokele and our defence.

Williams sometimes does too much on the ball but he is still so classy and with a proper pre season and guidance from Bows and Jacko, they can bring his game to a new level.

Cullen is way above this level and is such a top player. Same goes for Aribo, he has so much skill and strength for someone so slim too. The centre of our midfield is phenomenal.

Igor lead the line very well too, worked their defence and probably should’ve scored. Great to get him a full game now ahead of a full week in training.

Going into play-offs with this momentum is key and we look capable of winning without breaking much sweat at the moment. The defence is so solid as well. 11 conceded in 20 games in 2019, 10 clean sheets. Unreal. 
  • Options
    Another winning match thread to add to my collection :smiley: Great win with a weakened side.
    Can we not put scores in post-match thread titles?? Reading the match thread without knowing the score was going to be last pleasure of the day. Ruined now.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Looks like Sunderland in the play offs. Have to admit I have a soft spot for them, they are a proper football club. Was definitely hoping they would go up alongside us when I looked at the table a few weeks back. 

They are 3-2 on aggregate against us but I would be confident, win at the valley and draw at the SOL. It's a lottery but the steel of the teams that Bowyer puts out excites me. I think the credit he gets is slightly over the top. Roland is a wanker and we are in trouble next season if he still owns us, but we still have a very good League one squad. But what Bowyer has done is install a fighting spirit which is why we tend to do well in the big games. He knows what we need to do to nick those games and that is why I am confident going into a 4 team tournament. Complete turnaround from the personnel and attitude we had this time last year. 

Sunderland are the only team in the top 6 who have beaten us on aggregate this season but I do believe we go into it with confidence and the ability to grind out 3 results and go up. 
    True, but we played the first game of the season with a number of kids playing and on the bench. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

True, but we played the first game of the season with a number of kids playing and on the bench. 
    And even then we were terribly unlucky to lose.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Sage said:
    SDAddick said:
    LouisMend said:
    Love some of the quotes from that link!!

You have to remember, I watch training every single day. That’s where a lot of these players get judged. Especially the ones that are part of the squad or a sub on matchdays.

Something we all have to remember when we moan about matchday selections!!
    Yeah I mean it's been clear for a while that Bowyer doesn't fancy Marshall and that there are issues with Fosu. My concern is, on his day, Fosu is a match winner. It's entirely possible that things are so broken down with him that it's now irreparable. But come the playoffs, if we're chasing a goal he could be a good option from the bench. 

I'm less concerned about who starts. I think Lapslie and Morgan deserve run outs. But we've got two really important matches coming up. I know I'd rather have Fosu on the bench than Pratley. They're different types of players obviously but I don't think Pratley brings much whereas we know what Fosu is capable of on his day. Freezing Fosu out hasn't worked, maybe it's time for a carrot. 

Again, I say all this without seeing training and without knowing what goes on behind the scenes  
    Fosu won’t ever play for us again, and rightly so.

He may have more talent and skill than Parker, sure as Parker is awful and Fosu can be a match winner, but he has a crap attitude and doesn’t want to be here. He hasn’t worked hard enough to even be thought of a new contract and hasn’t even bothered supporting his team mates during games. Home and away.

In the play-offs we need players who are going to run through brick walls for one another, players who have each other’s backs. Players who desperately want success for our football club. Fosu isn’t one of them. We know we have enough quality amongst the squad so I wouldn’t want Fosu anywhere near the team. I’d much prefer Pratley as you know what you’re going to get. He’s going to break up play, intercept the opposition, making vital blocks and clearances, and allow the other players to go forward and create. I would send Fosu home and say thanks for showing up last season and parts of this by you’re time is up and I don’t want you near the squad being a distraction when we are preparing for some huge games.

As I’ve said before, talent is great and Fosu has that. But talent is useless and disruptive to the direction we are going in when it can’t be bothered and doesn’t work hard.
    So we’re 1-0 down in the play off final and our attacking options coming off of the bench are Parker, Reeves and Lapslie. Don’t tell me you wouldn’t rather Fosu be there
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Just back in, sadly the shout during the silence did come from within the stand and it nearly kicked off as a result, there was also some trouble behind the Gills goal with punches being thrown at the final whistle. 

On the pitch, well it felt like a pre season friendly really, Charles-Cook looked fairly lively and the pony tailed lump Eaves huffed and puffed but that aside it was as easy a win as I have seen for us all season. 

We do look good all over the park but midfield especially and with our first XI, I would not want to play us at all. 

I cant remember a season where our away support have been so dominant, at so many grounds, (smashing up of toilets aside), from the very first game up and Sunderland, at Pompey, Shrewsbury, Plymouth, Wycombe, Peterborough, Oxford to name a few its been very impressive following the Addicks on the road. 

Good to meet @BR7_addick on the train back to Stratford. Look forward to a return to the Stadium of Light and onto Wembley to end the season in style. 

Oh and @charltonnick and @cafc999 both looked as worried as I did with the bouncy bouncy whilst people were trying dismantle the stand around us! 
    Always nice to meet a lifer who hasn’t abused me on here!
  • Options
    Sage said:
    SDAddick said:
    LouisMend said:

You have to remember, I watch training every single day. That’s where a lot of these players get judged. Especially the ones that are part of the squad or a sub on matchdays.

Yeah I mean it's been clear for a while that Bowyer doesn't fancy Marshall and that there are issues with Fosu. My concern is, on his day, Fosu is a match winner. It's entirely possible that things are so broken down with him that it's now irreparable. But come the playoffs, if we're chasing a goal he could be a good option from the bench. 

I'm less concerned about who starts. I think Lapslie and Morgan deserve run outs. But we've got two really important matches coming up. I know I'd rather have Fosu on the bench than Pratley. They're different types of players obviously but I don't think Pratley brings much whereas we know what Fosu is capable of on his day. Freezing Fosu out hasn't worked, maybe it's time for a carrot. 

Again, I say all this without seeing training and without knowing what goes on behind the scenes  

He may have more talent and skill than Parker, sure as Parker is awful and Fosu can be a match winner, but he has a crap attitude and doesn’t want to be here. He hasn’t worked hard enough to even be thought of a new contract and hasn’t even bothered supporting his team mates during games. Home and away.

In the play-offs we need players who are going to run through brick walls for one another, players who have each other’s backs. Players who desperately want success for our football club. Fosu isn’t one of them. We know we have enough quality amongst the squad so I wouldn’t want Fosu anywhere near the team. I’d much prefer Pratley as you know what you’re going to get. He’s going to break up play, intercept the opposition, making vital blocks and clearances, and allow the other players to go forward and create. I would send Fosu home and say thanks for showing up last season and parts of this by you’re time is up and I don’t want you near the squad being a distraction when we are preparing for some huge games.

As I’ve said before, talent is great and Fosu has that. But talent is useless and disruptive to the direction we are going in when it can’t be bothered and doesn’t work hard.
    So we’re 1-0 down in the play off final and attacking our options coming off of the bench are Parker, Reeves and Lapslie. Don’t tell me you wouldn’t rather Fosu be there
    If he doesn't care and isn't trying, I wouldn't even want him in the ground, let alone on the pitch!
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Toilets been smashed up and chairs ripped up. What's the point?
    Again? We have some amazing fans and a few absolute morons that are going to give us a reputation before too long. 
    As per it’s only these sort of games, you don’t get them at the games further than 20 miles away 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    First things first - the match was boring and we were in charge at all times. Gills were on holiday already.

the minutes silence was broken by a guy outside. Definitely. 
    Response came from Gills fans was embarrassing but some of our “fans” retaliated to that. One in particular.  If you’re reading you’re a cockwomble!

i went to the pub (Fleur de Lys) before and after and whilst most of it was good natured and harmless there were a few bellends present.  One who thought it acceptable to stand on the pool table and punch the pool-table lights. One who tried many times to flip the pool table over - he eventually succeeded (with some help) and is lucky nobody got hurt. He promptly left the pub.

the landlady was rather upset with it all - it’s her home after all. I found it all pretty distasteful.

i cannot fathom what goes through these knucklescrapers feeble minds

on to the Rochdale game. 4 games 4 wins please lads 
    If you are on this forum(which I doubt as a neanderthal like you probably cant read) but if someone can read it for you then you are a c**t please never ever return to another Charlton game, you do not care about the club and do not represent us as fans
    It was outside the ground so the person may attach them self as a fan but club cannot do much 
  • Options
    I visited Rochester Cathedral before the match, and donated £2 as I left

We then won 2-0. God moves in mysterious ways...
    I visited Rochester Cathedral and donated £2 before our defeat there last season. Then, I saw this bloke in a Gillingham shirt stick in a fiver. What a waste of two quid. God moves in mysterious ways...
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    First things first - the match was boring and we were in charge at all times. Gills were on holiday already.

the minutes silence was broken by a guy outside. Definitely. 
    Response came from Gills fans was embarrassing but some of our “fans” retaliated to that. One in particular.  If you’re reading you’re a cockwomble!

i went to the pub (Fleur de Lys) before and after and whilst most of it was good natured and harmless there were a few bellends present.  One who thought it acceptable to stand on the pool table and punch the pool-table lights. One who tried many times to flip the pool table over - he eventually succeeded (with some help) and is lucky nobody got hurt. He promptly left the pub.

the landlady was rather upset with it all - it’s her home after all. I found it all pretty distasteful.

i cannot fathom what goes through these knucklescrapers feeble minds

on to the Rochdale game. 4 games 4 wins please lads 
    If you are on this forum(which I doubt as a neanderthal like you probably cant read) but if someone can read it for you then you are a c**t please never ever return to another Charlton game, you do not care about the club and do not represent us as fans
    It was outside the ground so the person may attach them self as a fan but club cannot do much 
    It was in the ground.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    SDAddick said:
    LouisMend said:

So we’re 1-0 down in the play off final and attacking our options coming off of the bench are Parker, Reeves and Lapslie. Don’t tell me you wouldn’t rather Fosu be there
    I wouldn’t want him there, no. Has shown absolutely nothing recently and when he last was in the squad and came off the bench, he showed nothing either and didn’t bother working hard for the team.

When you know that his attitude is not right, there is no chance I’d want him anywhere near the squad for those games. We saw last season how physically weak we were, how we had players who didn’t want to be here and look how that ended. I’m alright thanks.

Senior players could also look at it and think that players like Reeves and Lapslie deserve the chance more than Fosu. I also have enough confidence in the team that they have enough quality without needing Fosu. We also have Forster-Caskey and Page who are back so by this time next month, our bench will look very strong without even needing to think of Fosu. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Hate to whinge after a good win, but that ‘allez allez allez’ song is absolutely shite. 
    Agreed- truly dreadful lyrics and massively over-sung 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    wmcf123 said:
    Bloke who started shouting during the minute silent was directly in front of me. He knew what he was doing. No excuses for that behaviour. I doubt he had been to a single Charlton game this season.
    We have a small number of utterly moronic fans; sadly enough to stop my father going to away games 
    I’m pleased people saw a win, but you knew this would kick off, that’s why I decided not to bother going, it’s not what I go to footie for.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    cafctom said:
    Hate to whinge after a good win, but that ‘allez allez allez’ song is absolutely shite. 
    Agreed- truly dreadful lyrics and massively over-sung 
    Absolutely. It’s in French for fecks sake. Why can’t we have a song in German, like our Royal Family?
  • Options
    Charlton have some bloody prick fans who go to lesser placed clubs than most and think its funny to act as effing morons. I know people who dont go to away games anymore because of these idiots. They are usually the ones baiting the opposition fans at Charlton station after we have won, not thinking there are Charlton fans on the train too going into town, 

Amazing season for league 1 considering we have 85 points and not in the top 2.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    SDAddick said:
    LouisMend said:

On his form this season he'd lose the ball in possession when a pass is on, wont track back and we'll go 2-0 down
  • Options
    My one away was Wycombe and the atmosphere there was electric - the balance was just about OK as I guess we have no historical trouble with Wycombe, but there's definitely a line between ardent vocal support and macho posturing, and we certainly seem to skirt that line. No different from any football crowd I guess, and better loud than quiet...
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    My one away was Wycombe and the atmosphere there was electric - the balance was just about OK as I guess we have no historical trouble with Wycombe, but there's definitely a line between ardent vocal support and macho posturing, and we certainly seem to skirt that line. No different from any football crowd I guess, and better loud than quiet...
    I went to Wycombe and the atmosphere was brilliant. There were considerably more arseholes yesterday.  Much of the behaviour was good humoured if childish, but wanton vandalism and some of the other stuff that is reported are simply not on. Trying to shake a temporary structure to pieces whilst standing in it is moronic and pretty unsettling for others around. I was quite pleased to be out of there.