Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gillingham 0 Charlton 2 - 27/04/19 POST MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Off_it said:
    And don't forget one incident even involved people drinking beer .....
    If you can't see the difference between singing and chanting and vandalism you have a problem. 
    Lol. Because I said that, didn't I?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    There it is again "real football fans".
    Ok, whether they are ‘real’ fans or not (does it really matter?), doesn’t mean they aren’t acting like tossers. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Off_it said:
    Ok, whether they are ‘real’ fans or not (does it really matter?), doesn’t mean they aren’t acting like tossers. 
    Exactly, that's the point isn't it?

If you think somethings wrong then say so. But the "not real fans" argument for anything you disagree with is ridiculous. 

Youngsters drinking beer ffs? Whatever next!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    If you can't see the difference between singing and chanting and vandalism you have a problem. 
    Why slag off people who have the bollocks to condemn vandalism and not just be a sheep.

• Options
    if i remember correctly when the tickets for this match became available quite a few on here were saying they were buying tickets for millwall, west ham, tottenham etc supporting mates. now i'm not suggesting they were behind the troubles that happened during and after the game but to me it certainly comes across as a bit of a coincidence. 

i mean if millwall can make out it was west ham fans then why cant we? 
    I think they were sarcastic comments mate.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Why slag off people who have the bollocks to condemn vandalism and not just be a sheep.

You're really not reading what I'm saying 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Sunderland have only won once in their last five games. We can take them, doesn't matter the size of the club, or the size of the ground, or the attendance. They're not a great side. 
    Wish I had your confidence, James.  Sunderland have lost just three league games this season.  We have lost ten.
    Yes, but they have drawn 22 games in all competitions this season, 19 in the league. 16 of all of their draws have been 1-1. They may not have lost many but I would bet there are a whole load of games in which they have drawn and should've lost. The game at The Valley being one of them.

You could argue that makes them a good side. I argue that makes them extremely defensive and not a very good side. Good sides win games, draws are mostly useless. I would happily win 1 and lose 1 than draw 2 and think oh well we haven't lost many. 
  • Options
    Beginning to feel like it will be Sunderland.
    50/50 match as they will probably have the second leg at home.
    The match away we were very understrength. The match at home they dominated for 35 and we bossed the last 55 minutes.

Portsmouth along with ourselves are the form team and not keen on them getting revenge for our double win. Great that vital players got time off yesterday and yet we still won.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Sunderland have only won once in their last five games. We can take them, doesn't matter the size of the club, or the size of the ground, or the attendance. They're not a great side. 
    Wish I had your confidence, James.  Sunderland have lost just three league games this season.  We have lost ten.
    Yes, but they have drawn 22 games in all competitions this season, 19 in the league. 16 of all of their draws have been 1-1. They may not have lost many but I would bet there are a whole load of games in which they have drawn and should've lost. The game at The Valley being one of them.

You could argue that makes them a good side. I argue that makes them extremely defensive and not a very good side. Good sides win games, draws are mostly useless. I would happily win 1 and lose 1 than draw 2 and think oh well we haven't lost many. 
    Good points, Sage.  However, Sunderland were a class above us during the first half at The Valley; we achieved a draw with fighting spirit.  I thought they were far superior to Barnsley and Pompey.  And I can see them beating us with a late winner in front of 45,000 at the Stadium of Shyte!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    cafctom said:
    Hate to whinge after a good win, but that ‘allez allez allez’ song is absolutely shite. 
    Agreed- truly dreadful lyrics and massively over-sung 
    Absolutely. It’s in French for fecks sake. Why can’t we have a song in German, like our Royal Family?
    There’s one word in french; it’s the rest of the lyrics that I think are shite
  • Options
    if i remember correctly when the tickets for this match became available quite a few on here were saying they were buying tickets for millwall, west ham, tottenham etc supporting mates. now i'm not suggesting they were behind the troubles that happened during and after the game but to me it certainly comes across as a bit of a coincidence. 

i mean if millwall can make out it was west ham fans then why cant we? 
    I think they were sarcastic comments mate.
    fair enough but surely we can use it as some sort of excuse.  ;)  
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    These idiots spent the whole 2nd half messing around, breaking signs, throwing parts of chairs, trying to break floodlights, singing were gonna die in a minute.

Ther were not watching the game.

So how can they be real football fans???
    They are people that misbehave, it does not mean they are not football supporters.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    These idiots spent the whole 2nd half messing around, breaking signs, throwing parts of chairs, trying to break floodlights, singing were gonna die in a minute.

They are people that misbehave, it does not mean they are not football supporters.
    Surely football fans go to games to watch football not do stupid things, I know I go to actually watch the game.

Again imagine the comments on here if that was Millwall fans doing it not Charlton
  • Options
    Thought Hanlan and RCC looked reasonable yesterday. Both needed regular football to progress

We probably didn't see the best of Eaves yesterday, he's a bit out of form at the moment, hence was only on the bench. If we're in L1 I imagine we'll be one of the clubs chasing him
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    It’s a shame Cullen header went into the stand and not the goal as that was a exceptional move from us. 
    Just watched the footage of that. Some lovely football in the build up and a cracking cross. Unlucky with the header. 
  • Options
    We didn't really get going but still had more than enough to beat Gills. Good performances from Pratley and Purrington who often get pelters on here. Purrington drew a good reflex save from Holy which got him Gills MOTM I reckon. Aribo total class. Not sure why Gills took off RCC it looked like he was causing us some issues in the first 20 minutes, and it took time for our defence to get Hanlan and their no 17 under control. 
    Good ref again for 2nd game in a row. 

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Hate to whinge after a good win, but that ‘allez allez allez’ song is absolutely shite. 
    Behave.....do you prefer ‘red army’ (clap clap)

Yes, significantly prefer ‘Red Army’.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Amazing how some people are slagging off our own fans and at no stage do I condone vandalism. But let’s put a few things into context here. Firstly it was a sit where you want be it either the top or bottom tier. Secondly there will be excitable young lads when they are let out to play as it is a local away game, early beers and drinking in the streets is always going to make young lads a bit more boisterous regardless if it’s at a football match, a night out or on a lads holiday. I am confident that if Gillingham didn’t want to have these sort of situations then they could have reviewed their drinking policy, it was clearly drank dry before the game and was welcomed with a huge roar from the away end when half a dozen catering staff walked around the pitch with boxes of beer. 
    Finally and it appears that no one has mentioned this, but Dillon Phillips was going to be attacked by a number of their fans, in which a number of their stewards had to push them all back before they began fighting amongst themselves.
    Two sides behind every story.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Surely football fans go to games to watch football not do stupid things, I know I go to actually watch the game.

Again imagine the comments on here if that was Millwall fans doing it not Charlton
    Somebody insults you or a member of your family and you give them a slap.  That will not make you a violent individual.
  • Options
    Lovely banter this morning on CL.

I'm going to Selhurst park today to see palace v Charlton women.

I expect I will vandalise the toilets, break the seats, take a dump by the corner flag, moon the palace keeper, pluck the Eagle, vomit on the home fans, collect a few wing mirrors from local cars, and sing a few racist songs.

It's all part of the dystopian football experience.
  • Options
    What was the racist chanting? 
  • Options
    I thought Pratley was great yesterday - best I can remember him playing.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Nor would Sunderland have beaten us on the opening day if we had the squad we do now - Only reason they got the win was because our eleven tired, no one could come on to make a difference and their scorer shouldnt have been on the pitch
    And they got their added time winner just after Pearce got nobbled late and had to be subbed.

If he'd stayed on the pitch, we'd have defended that last Sunderland attack.

• Options
    rananegra said:
    We didn't really get going but still had more than enough to beat Gills. Good performances from Pratley and Purrington who often get pelters on here. Purrington drew a good reflex save from Holy which got him Gills MOTM I reckon. Aribo total class. Not sure why Gills took off RCC it looked like he was causing us some issues in the first 20 minutes, and it took time for our defence to get Hanlan and their no 17 under control. 

Thank God somebody is still wanting to talk about the football on a post match thread.

Should have been a separate thread to discuss thugs and morons.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Oggy Red said:
    rananegra said:

Thank God somebody is still wanting to talk about the football on a post match thread.

Should have been a separate thread to discuss thugs and morons.

I have now started a thread titled "@clb74 on a Saturday"
  • Options
    Pratley's an experienced pro who we've got a year too late.

He was class but no longer has the legs to compete for 90 mins in meaningful games IE not yesterday.

The problem with the older player isn't so much that they "no longer have the legs to compete for 90 mins"..... if they've got a good engine, then they are still able to run all day.

But invariably, they've lost their 'quick feet', that half yard of pace from a standing start.

The younger opponent turns and moves quickly .... and the old pro tries to compensate by sliding in to win the ball - which is fine if his timing is good, but always risking a yellow card if his opponent is too quick for him.

That's Darren Pratley right now.

I remember Bryan Robson saying much the same thing when he played his last season as a pro.
    And I can speak from my own playing experience also (!).