Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gillingham 0 Charlton 2 - 27/04/19 POST MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Not worried about Sunderland, they're not playing well at the moment. 

Both them and us sold strikers in January. They spent heavily on a replacement Grigg, but he's struggled and was on the bench yesterday. 
  • Options
    It’s a shame Cullen header went into the stand and not the goal as that was an exceptional move from us. 
    And Purrington’s chance. That was another lovely sweeping break away. 

We were a little bit wasteful yesterday. I’m sure with Taylor playing we would have scored more. 

All further encouragement for the playoffs. There have been times this season where we’ve looked laboured whilst still managing to win. We look anything but laboured at the moment. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    First things first - the match was boring and we were in charge at all times. Gills were on holiday already.

the minutes silence was broken by a guy outside. Definitely. 
    Response came from Gills fans was embarrassing but some of our “fans” retaliated to that. One in particular.  If you’re reading you’re a cockwomble!

i went to the pub (Fleur de Lys) before and after and whilst most of it was good natured and harmless there were a few bellends present.  One who thought it acceptable to stand on the pool table and punch the pool-table lights. One who tried many times to flip the pool table over - he eventually succeeded (with some help) and is lucky nobody got hurt. He promptly left the pub.

the landlady was rather upset with it all - it’s her home after all. I found it all pretty distasteful.

i cannot fathom what goes through these knucklescrapers feeble minds

on to the Rochdale game. 4 games 4 wins please lads 
    If you are on this forum(which I doubt as a neanderthal like you probably cant read) but if someone can read it for you then you are a c**t please never ever return to another Charlton game, you do not care about the club and do not represent us as fans
    That's a bit harsh on Swisdom mate... :-)
  • Options

Well done boys Another victory! Thanks for your amazing support again and see you next week #ThankGodFirst #cafc #coya https://www.instagram.com/p/BwxDP7shFLa/?igshid=1larbu305e258 …

• Options

Great win and amazing support from the fans today! #CAFC

• Options

smells good ! Another one , clean sheet , 2 goals , good win today well done boyz , thanks to all the fans that were here , class as always ! See you next week #CAFC

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Love a derby win, good performance from the lads, fans were class as always thank you https://www.instagram.com/p/BwxI747B4dW/?igshid=zolz4b18vrrs …

• Options
    Thank you for your magnificent support, once again! See you back at The Valley next Saturday #cafc

• Options

Another 3 points and good all round performance from the boys! Pleased to get on the scoresheet too Thanks again to our travelling fans who were brilliant as usual #CAFC

• Options
    There ain't nothing better than an away-day tunnel jump #cafc

• Options
    The boys at the back of the stand & in the pubs were just imitating their manager ......throwing things & racially abusing people.  Ho hum. 

• Options
    Sunderland are similar to us. They don’t concede many but don’t really score enough, despite massively over paying for Grigg. 

They don’t lose many either though. We had the better of it for an hour at SoL on the opening day of the season but with a patched up team that ran out of steam. 

We bossed the second half at the Valley and again that was without Cullen, Aribo, and with Solly at left back. Aribo in particular was a big miss as he makes a huge a difference to our attacking threat and I’m sure we would’ve win that match if he’d been fit.

Sunderland draw a lot of games and have rescued a lot of points from losing positions. If we play them it’ll be a tight one, but our record against the top six (w5,d3,l2), particularly when we have a fully fit squad, says we shouldn’t fear anyone. 
  • Options
    Any idea why Maynard Brewer was on the bench & not Maxwell ??
  • Options
    Somebody mentioned he was sick
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought Hanlan and RCC looked reasonable yesterday. Both needed regular football to progress

We probably didn't see the best of Eaves yesterday, he's a bit out of form at the moment, hence was only on the bench. If we're in L1 I imagine we'll be one of the clubs chasing him
    If we are in league 1 next season no doubt we will have no budget for wages or transfer fees. Or a manager. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Sunderland have only won once in their last five games. We can take them, doesn't matter the size of the club, or the size of the ground, or the attendance. They're not a great side. 
    Wish I had your confidence, James.  Sunderland have lost just three league games this season.  We have lost ten.
    True, but we’ve improved during the season, whereas they’re getting nervy. My Sunderland mate doesn’t want to play us. 
    It wont be easy of course, but Bowyer seems to know what he’s doing  ;-)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Pratley's an experienced pro who we've got a year too late.

He was class but no longer has the legs to compete for 90 mins in meaningful games IE not yesterday.

The problem with the older player isn't so much that they "no longer have the legs to compete for 90 mins"..... if they've got a good engine, then they are still able to run all day.

But invariably, they've lost their 'quick feet', that half yard of pace from a standing start.

The younger opponent turns and moves quickly .... and the old pro tries to compensate by sliding in to win the ball - which is fine if his timing is good, but always risking a yellow card if his opponent is too quick for him.

That's Darren Pratley right now.

I remember Bryan Robson saying much the same thing when he played his last season as a pro.
    And I can speak from my own playing experience also (!).

Be fair @Oggy Red Stanley Matthews was always too quick for you  ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Weird game, neither side seemed to be taking it completely seriously and we were comfortable winners.

Gillingham looked very poor, honourable mention to RCC (and Hanlan to a lesser extent), and without Eaves I would say they will struggle next season.

For us it was another 3 points to keep us ticking over and we managed it without our talisman. Would like us to play our best team against Rochdale and really try and get a strong win to send us into the playoffs with the wind in our sails. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Love a derby win, good performance from the lads, fans were class as always thank you https://www.instagram.com/p/BwxI747B4dW/?igshid=zolz4b18vrrs …

What do we think about using the word “derby” for our games against Gillingham? Personally I don’t see it as a derby but can understand that for Kent based Addicks it may feel that way.
  • Options
    Thought Hanlan and RCC looked reasonable yesterday. Both needed regular football to progress

We probably didn't see the best of Eaves yesterday, he's a bit out of form at the moment, hence was only on the bench. If we're in L1 I imagine we'll be one of the clubs chasing him
    If we are in league 1 next season no doubt we will have no budget for wages or transfer fees. Or a manager. 
    Eaves is out of contract. He would be a very similar type of signing to Lyle Taylor really, a successful striker at a smaller local club
  • Options

Eaves is out of contract. He would be a very similar type of signing to Lyle Taylor really, a successful striker at a smaller local club
    He can be our replacement for Taylor when we sell him in the summer.
  • Options
    Refused to play because Bowyer racially abused him and threw a tea cup at him 😕