Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We’ve only gone and bloody done it again!!!! (2019 Playoff Final).

Comments

• Options
    What just rewatched a lot it back having recorded it on sky . What a bloody day. Can’t honestly believe it . Some day
  • Options
    Can't remember a better 2nd half of a season of Football in general ever, but to finish with those last 7 days, and 2 games was unimaginable. 

Still absolutely shattered from Sunday. Mentally and physically. Worth every bit. 

The whole day: from the minute we got on the platform at Folkestone central 9.30am to see plenty of Charlton, to box park pre game, walking into Wembley at 2.50pm to see that many in our end, to the 94th minute. The rest is a joyous blur. 

• Options
    Nobody can ever take away, the cuddle I had with my son at the final whistle and the four words he said in my ear. I love you Dad.
    That’s great stuff Steve 👍🏻
  • Options
    Good thing about being retired is Sky has been playing an hour long recording of our game on Monday and Tuesday afternoon and I have watched and relax at the same time, which I could not do during the match
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    youngluke said:
    Cullen was the best player on the pitch but Pratley was the heart of the team to get back into it after the own goal
    Pratley was bloody everywhere!!

Thought it took a while for Williams to get into the game and felt we missed Darren's energy for the last 10 mins as Sunderland were pressing and we were just hoofing it clear
    Really????thought williams got involved within seconds of coming on and was buzzing around for the whole time he was on
    Me too.
  • Options
    Got back to Grantham about 8.30 starving so asked the other half to stop on way home. Walked into KFC in sleaford to see 2 Addicks ...then the manager comes out shaking my hand...bit twilight zone. 

What was Bowyer doing in... No, it’s too obvious, I can’t go through with it. 
  • Options
    We actually got a mention in the antipodes yesterday.  This from Wellington’s daily Dominion Post:

CHARLTONS GREAT ESCAPE
    Charlton overcame a bizarre early own-goal to beat Sunderland 2-1 in the League One playoff final at Wembley to win promotion to the Championship.  An injury-time winner clinched Charlton promotion after a goal some hailed as the worst ever own goal.  Charlton deserved to win but had to overcome the shock of the own-goal from Mouhamadou-Naby Sarr.  Sarr watched on in horror asgoalkeeper Dillon Phillips allowed his back pass to roll past his foot into the net.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    I am so happy. I've watched the highlights, bought a load of newspapers, read everything on Twitter. Was at a wedding in Essex last night, drove back this morning, took a detour passed The Valley, stopped for breakfast at The Valley Cafe. 

My favourite non-Charlton/England goal is Michael Thomas' league title winner for Arsenal at Anfield on 26 May 1989, exactly 30 years to the day before yesterday's play-off final - I always look at the Arsenal fans behind the goal, wondering what it would have been like to be in that moment, the split second before it hits the back of the net when you're suspended between agony and ecstacy, and then it goes in and for the next minute or so it's like someone's plugged you into the National Grid and turned the voltage up to maximum, but in a good way. And now Charlton have got their own Michael Thomas moment. I've watched this clip about 50 times, it never gets boring, just pick a different face to watch every time and then the mass carnage across our end of the stadium. Glorious.

I’m glad Wembley told us it was a goal at end of that clip. I’d have never known otherwise. 
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Just rewatching the Quest highlights programme yet again.  Definitely worth a watch. Colin Murray does a great job with all the interviews.  Also raises the contract situations and behind the scenes stuff.  A good programme. 
    Where can one see this?
  • Options
    So as a complete contrast to yesterday, I meet up with my mum and sister at Nyman's, a National Trust property in West Sussex. I decide to wear my Charlton shirt and no one bats an eyelid for an hour or so, until a bloke comes up to me and says, 'You were at the match, yesterday, weren't you?' And suddenly remembering this stranger's face, I reply, 'Yes, you were sitting in front of me. We hugged when Bauer scored.' 

Small world.
    That’s my mate Reid. He sent us a WhatsApp msg about meeting you, @captainbob
  • Options
    youngluke said:
    Cullen was the best player on the pitch but Pratley was the heart of the team to get back into it after the own goal
    Pratley was bloody everywhere!!

Thought it took a while for Williams to get into the game and felt we missed Darren's energy for the last 10 mins as Sunderland were pressing and we were just hoofing it clear
    Really????thought williams got involved within seconds of coming on and was buzzing around for the whole time he was on
    Me too.
    Me three
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Curb_It said:
    Just rewatching the Quest highlights programme yet again.  Definitely worth a watch. Colin Murray does a great job with all the interviews.  Also raises the contract situations and behind the scenes stuff.  A good programme. 
    Where can one see this?
    It’s one of the channels on my Virgin setup. Not sure when and if they’re showing it again though. 
    Failing that you can download the Quest App on your phone, and it’s available on there at the moment. It might be available on their website as well but I’m not sure.
  • Options
    So as a complete contrast to yesterday, I meet up with my mum and sister at Nyman's, a National Trust property in West Sussex. I decide to wear my Charlton shirt and no one bats an eyelid for an hour or so, until a bloke comes up to me and says, 'You were at the match, yesterday, weren't you?' And suddenly remembering this stranger's face, I reply, 'Yes, you were sitting in front of me. We hugged when Bauer scored.' 

Small world.
    That’s my mate Reid. He sent us a WhatsApp msg about meeting you, @captainbob
    Say hello to Reid from me. You can tell him I'm still walking around in my Charlton shirt, unashamedly attention-seeking, @AddicksAddict
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    I only watched Quest highlights a few times this season, gave up on it as Charlton hardly ever got mentioned and the shows I watched we had about 60 seconds of highlights. The highlights for the final were good tho, more of the after match and interviews which I liked. Colin Murray wanted to hear what music was coming from our changing room during the celebrations so opened the door and stuck his mic in. Im sure someone shouted out fuck off Murray which made me chuckle
  • Options
    On the "Don't forget to record the game and the replay of the 1998 final on straight after" thread I said:

Callumcafc said:
    Is it a full replay, pre match coverage and all?
    The 1998 final is just highlights, after this year's final.
    Shame Sky can't overlay the wonderful commentary from Mark Mansfield and Paddy Powell.

@KillersBeard and @StubleyAddick have a lot to live up to ... and after last Friday I'm backing them 100%.

All I can say is well done Terry and Greg.

I had tears in my eyes after the semi-final shoot-out listening to your commentary (at 1am in a hotel bar in Crete) but on Sunday afternoon I was remarkable composed.

I've just listened to these highlights and I've got moist cheeks again ... bastards! :)

Enjoy your summer off boys and carry you on next season!

Thanks Briston! We really appreciate that 👍
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    What a few days of football for me and the boys.

Ive been boycotting for two years because of this owner and there has been no club to 'belong' too, until the now legend that is Lee Bowyer took over, I got hold of a ticket for the semi final against Donny and realised that Lee Bowyer and JJ have created that togetherness that we as 'supporters' have been craving. 
    What a night that was, and the togetherness showed, within the team and management and the team and supporters, which is one of the main reasons I have supported Charlton for over 45 years.
    So we couldn't miss going to Wembley, I missed the 98 play offs because I was looking after my three very young boys, so couldn't go.

May 26th dawned and we were up early, GreenieJnr went at silly o'clock to meet his mates at the Green Man. Myself and middle lad, got the train, from Dartford to London Bridge, nice to see and chat to some old faces I'd not seen for a couple of years, many in the same boat as myself.
    Met my Charlton brother and his Missus and my West Ham brother (Helmet) came along with his 12 year old son who told me he supported Man City?

Straight into Box Park, beers, beers and more Beers, stuffed some grub down my neck and about 2.15 headed up The Way.
    Took my seat behind the goal to the right 20 rows up from pitch side I guess. 
    Mightily impressed with the new Wembley stadium.

Greenie Jnr limps towards his seat, he tripped and turned his ankle as he got in ground. It dont look good, swollen to twice the size and gone a very nice Charlton red for the occasion.

What an atmosphere, the semi final at the Valley was superb, but this was on a different level....well done every one of you.
    3pm, kick off...thunderous noise....3.05 pm, the biggest WTF moment I have ever witnessed on a football pitch, did that really happen and all in slow motion? I said to anybody who would listen, were gonna do them 2-1.

Greenie jnr in agony from ankle, so goes to see First Aiders, hes gone for a while, the strap it up and ice it, not broken, badly sprained and ligament damage.

More noise, even more noise, we never gave up, and neither did our team, the Bowyer effect is contagious to the team and fans, and this is why we need an owner to buy the club and also buy into the emotion of our great football club.

3.35pm - in it goes following some really nice interplay....BEDLAM absolute BEDLAM. Greenie jnr still at first aid.

Second half kicks off. Greenie Jnr back now. More noise, more mayhem, the players are being carried on a wave of noise, surely we wont fail today, today must be our day.

Its mostly us, Lee B makes some astute subs, Pratly off (superb display, roughed them up all game) Jonny Williams arrival popped us into top gear and off he went at them for the remainder of the match. They didn't like him running at them, Josh got more space, as did Taylor.

Time ticks on, surely its extra time,....then it happened....that thing that no Charlton fan who was there will ever forget, again great interplay with Joe and Cullen (MOM), over it goes, the BFG heads it down, shit its saved, then he toe pokes it in from 6 yards.......then 2 years of frustratingly watching Jeff Stelling on a Saturday afternoon with all the frustrations that happen when you can't do something you have been doing for decades are released into a plethora of sheer unbridled joy, noise and madness, on the seats jumping up and down, kissed and hugged by so many people all experiencing the biggest high ever. Checked the ref and lino....it has really happened....it has really happened. 

THE FINAL WHISTLE. We are going up, against all the odds and against a man who is worth a billon euros who has single handedly tried to wreck our club, we are going up, they did it. They only went and did it. We love you Charlton, we do.
    It shows you cant buy class no much how much you have in the bank.

I watched the lads and manager lift the cup at Wembley, on what would have been my dads 82nd birthday........this is why we go to football and why we support a proper football club, the togetherness, the community the spirit and occasionally something like this happens to us, the collective US.
    Men were made great today and they play in Red and White.

*A small footnote to end a long post....I had a few celebratory Beers back at box park, the boys stayed on, so I walked back down the Way on my own, hopped on the tube to Victoria, chatted to many Addicks, got the train to Borough Green, got off no taxis, my Mrs was drinking so couldn't come and get me, so I walked 4.5 miles home to Vigo its all uphill, along dark, unlit, country lanes, as soon as a car came along I had to duck into hedges, then carry on walking, it took me over an hour, but I didn't really walk, I floated along, it didn't matter because we went to Wembley and we won our Charlton back.

COYRs

JEEZ.........that is one hell of a walk home. I don't think I would even attempt it if you paid me. Then again, schoolboy error for firstly living in the middle of nowhere & secondly not getting the train to Meopham instead. 

• Options
    My only minor disappointment....that the crowd was about 800 short of the record for a league 1 play off final and that Gillingham v Man City still holds the record 20 years later.

Minor but a gripe non-the-less and its Sunderland’s fault.
    I think they counted not only their caravans but also their horses too.....
  • Options
    Checked my watch when the 4th official put the board up with 4mins, it said 4:48. Then checked again and it was 4:52, said to @TelMc32 we had one more chance, 10 secs later. Boom 💥

Also at times, Wembley was a bit too red & blue for my liking with the sky bet displays.
  • Options
    My only minor disappointment....that the crowd was about 800 short of the record for a league 1 play off final and that Gillingham v Man City still holds the record 20 years later.

Minor but a gripe non-the-less and its Sunderland’s fault.
    Just read on Wiki that Man City were two down in the 86th minute of that game, they eventually won on penalties following a late, late show.  Manchester City fans and other commentators also regard the game as a crucial first step in the club's revival from the third tier of English football to its current status as yearly contenders for the Premier League championship ... here's hoping eh?  🤞
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Morning all! from this Mackem owned B&B in Eltham.

Like so many other overseas Lifers, yesterday cost me a shedload of money, but you cannot buy a day like yesterday, from picking up the scent on CL threads to bumping into people I know on trains packed solid with Charlton fans, to the night closing in at Borough Market and still, delirious Charlton fans everywhere. 

So of course we all turned up yesterday but I would like to shout to those who stumped up and down the country last autumn, singing the praises of the team Bow had put together, and slowly persuading the rest of us to believe. There are probably about 300-400 of you. You know who you are. I know just a few of you. I hope you all got tickets for yesterday, and had the day of your lives. Nobody deserved it more than you.
    Thanks, appreciate that :-)
  • Options
    Over the years I've learned not to expect too much when watching Charlton, but when "Naby passed to Dillon", that was an all-time low moment. I was thinking in terms of 4 or 5, but when Dillon made a really good save just afterwards, and when Pratley started to kick their midfield up in the air, I realised we weren't going to fold.

When our own BFG scored with a few seconds to go, I must have been the only person in our half of the ground not shouting and dancing. I just stood there, with my mouth open, I assume, not believing what I was seeing. That sort of thing doesn't happen to us, does it? Why is Jackson sprinting down the touchline like Usain Bolt? What's going on? It was only when my neighbour nearly knocked me over that I realised we had won.

My son and I had a good chat with Patrick when the pre-season tour was in Austria a few years ago, so we were both really happy that he got the winner.

Finally, if the bloke on the 7.05 Level flight from Vienna to Gatwick last Sunday, wearing our shirt, is reading this, I'm sorry but I didn't notice you until you ran past me to get off the plane. I certainly wasn't expecting to see another Charlton shirt in Vienna. I hope you enjoyed yourself as much as we did.