Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We’ve only gone and bloody done it again!!!! (2019 Playoff Final).

Comments

• Options
    Greenie said:
    This is what it means!
     Not sure which one is you but I was sitting directly behind you with my family and my brother in law @Nicholas. One of you took a photo of me, the misses and my two boys.
  • Options
    Just about sober now, however will be topping up while watching replay as I have the rest of the week off  :) 
  • Options
    A day I will never forget.To experience it with my son and daughter, it will live with me forever, met so many old friends, Dave Mehmet on the plinth at Trafalgar Square after the game. Had a nice chat with Henry Irving Jnr, what a fine young man he is and credit to Henry Irving Sir and his wife.

I still cannot believe the emotion I felt when the winner went in. I didn’t stop singing last night, and have completely lost my voice, my son has been in bed all day with a hangover from hell, but if you are going to experience your first real hangover what a reason to have it.
    Thanks @northstandsteve
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Incredible day. Managed to stick to my plan of not getting wasted before the game, after that bloody own goal I was wishing I’d had a few more to drink! 

I have some random cuts and bruises from the scenes after the winner went in but I’ll wear every one as a badge of honour!! 
  • Options
    Wonderful @Greenie
  • Options
    So proud to have my boys with me on Sunday, all my pals had their kids with them, was bloody brilliant. So glad they can enjoy Charlton doing the business at Wembley. Am so happy. Guess what I’m watching (again), Cullen’s ball into the box....goosebumps. Can’t believe it. Am so happy, can’t work...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a day!
  • Options
    if you can guarantee it by far the best way to go up, being 28 that was by far the best day i have ever had out with my club, it was the pure happiness by everyone afterwards that done it, a few knobheads in the ground that were clearly not chartlon regulars as they were more interested in boozing and slagging off the "state of the football being played" but them aside fair play to every single fan we sounded immense and even Sunderland were commenting on how good we sounded. 

sarr i thought wasnt v good and that was a schoolboy from phillips from a footballing side of things was a pretty rubbish game, sunderland were very poor the manager started with 3 dms and that is why they have got so many 1-1 draws this season they get a goal and then try and defend for the rest of the game, it worked against pompey but there petulant behaviour and keep going to the ref was annoying equally i thought the ref was tragic and bottled it with the cards.
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    What a few days of football for me and the boys.

Ive been boycotting for two years because of this owner and there has been no club to 'belong' too, until the now legend that is Lee Bowyer took over, I got hold of a ticket for the semi final against Donny and realised that Lee Bowyer and JJ have created that togetherness that we as 'supporters' have been craving. 
    What a night that was, and the togetherness showed, within the team and management and the team and supporters, which is one of the main reasons I have supported Charlton for over 45 years.
    So we couldn't miss going to Wembley, I missed the 98 play offs because I was looking after my three very young boys, so couldn't go.

May 26th dawned and we were up early, GreenieJnr went at silly o'clock to meet his mates at the Green Man. Myself and middle lad, got the train, from Dartford to London Bridge, nice to see and chat to some old faces I'd not seen for a couple of years, many in the same boat as myself.
    Met my Charlton brother and his Missus and my West Ham brother (Helmet) came along with his 12 year old son who told me he supported Man City?

Straight into Box Park, beers, beers and more Beers, stuffed some grub down my neck and about 2.15 headed up The Way.
    Took my seat behind the goal to the right 20 rows up from pitch side I guess. 
    Mightily impressed with the new Wembley stadium.

Greenie Jnr limps towards his seat, he tried and turned his ankle as he got in ground. It dont look good, swollen to twice the size and gone a very nice Charlton red for the occasion.

What an atmosphere, the semi final at the Valley was superb, but this was on a different level....well done every one of you.
    3pm, kick off...thunderous noise....3.05 pm, the biggest WTF moment I have ever witnessed on a football pitch, did that really happen and all in slow motion? I said to anybody who would listen, were gonna do them 2-1.

Greenie jnr in agony from ankle, so goes to see First Aiders, hes gone for a while, the strap it up and ice it, not broken, badly sprained and ligament damage.

More noise, even more noise, we never gave up, and neither did our team, the Bowyer effect is contagious to the team and fans, and this is why we need an owner to buy the club and also buy into the emotion of our great football club.

3.35pm - in it goes following some really nice interplay....BEDLAM absolute BEDLAM. Greenie jnr still at first aid.

Second half kicks off. Greenie Jnr back now. More noise, more mayhem, the players are being carried on a wave of noise, surely we wont fail today, today must be our day.

Its mostly us, Lee B makes some astute subs, Pratly off (superb display, roughed them up all game) Jonny Williams arrival popped us into top gear and off he went at them for the remainder of the match. They didn't like him running at them, Josh got more space, as did Taylor.

Time ticks on, surely its extra time,....then it happened....that thing that no Charlton fan who was there will ever forget, again great interplay with Joe and Cullen (MOM), over it goes, the BFG heads it down, shit its saved, then he toe pokes it in from 6 yards.......then 2 years of frustratingly watching Jeff Stelling on a Saturday afternoon with all the frustrations that happen when you can't do something you have been doing for decades are released into a plethora of sheer unbridled joy, noise and madness, on the seats jumping up and down, kissed and hugged by so many people all experiencing the biggest high ever. Checked the ref and lino....it has really happened....it has really happened. 

THE FINAL WHISTLE. We are going up, against all the odds and against a man who is worth a billon euros who has single handedly tried to wreck our club, we are going up, they did it. They only went and did it. We love you Charlton, we do.
    It shows you cant buy class no much how much you have in the bank.

I watched the lads and manager lift the cup at Wembley, on what would have been my dads 82nd birthday........this is why we go to football and why we support a proper football club, the togetherness, the community the spirit and occasionally something like this happens to us, the collective US.
    Men were made great today and they play in Red and White.

*A small footnote to end a long post....I had a few celebratory Beers back at box park, the boys stayed on, so I walked back down the Way on my own, hopped on the tube to Victoria, chatted to many Addicks, got the train to Borough Green, got off no taxis, my Mrs was drinking so couldn't come and get me, so I walked 4.5 miles home to Vigo its all uphill, along dark, unlit, country lanes, as soon as a car came along I had to duck into hedges, then carry on walking, it took me over an hour, but I didn't really walk, I floated along, it didn't matter because we went to Wembley and we won our Charlton back.

COYRs

Great post @Greenie  @Greenie Junior I didn't realise that you said you did your ankle before the game, What a time to do it, nice to meet the rest of your family mate.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Having recorded the Quest highlights all year, they failed to record for the final. But scrolling through the electronic programme guide I stumbled upon a match highlights show, not sure when, but I set it to record (I think). 
    so if you missed out, it’ll still be on Quest at least one more time. It’s also on their App, but I want to see it on TV rather than a phone. I think it’s 40 minutes plus. 
  • Options
    Nicholas said:
    Greenie said:
    What a few days of football for me and the boys.

Ive been boycotting for two years because of this owner and there has been no club to 'belong' too, until the now legend that is Lee Bowyer took over, I got hold of a ticket for the semi final against Donny and realised that Lee Bowyer and JJ have created that togetherness that we as 'supporters' have been craving. 
    What a night that was, and the togetherness showed, within the team and management and the team and supporters, which is one of the main reasons I have supported Charlton for over 45 years.
    So we couldn't miss going to Wembley, I missed the 98 play offs because I was looking after my three very young boys, so couldn't go.

May 26th dawned and we were up early, GreenieJnr went at silly o'clock to meet his mates at the Green Man. Myself and middle lad, got the train, from Dartford to London Bridge, nice to see and chat to some old faces I'd not seen for a couple of years, many in the same boat as myself.
    Met my Charlton brother and his Missus and my West Ham brother (Helmet) came along with his 12 year old son who told me he supported Man City?

Straight into Box Park, beers, beers and more Beers, stuffed some grub down my neck and about 2.15 headed up The Way.
    Took my seat behind the goal to the right 20 rows up from pitch side I guess. 
    Mightily impressed with the new Wembley stadium.

Greenie Jnr limps towards his seat, he tried and turned his ankle as he got in ground. It dont look good, swollen to twice the size and gone a very nice Charlton red for the occasion.

What an atmosphere, the semi final at the Valley was superb, but this was on a different level....well done every one of you.
    3pm, kick off...thunderous noise....3.05 pm, the biggest WTF moment I have ever witnessed on a football pitch, did that really happen and all in slow motion? I said to anybody who would listen, were gonna do them 2-1.

Greenie jnr in agony from ankle, so goes to see First Aiders, hes gone for a while, the strap it up and ice it, not broken, badly sprained and ligament damage.

More noise, even more noise, we never gave up, and neither did our team, the Bowyer effect is contagious to the team and fans, and this is why we need an owner to buy the club and also buy into the emotion of our great football club.

3.35pm - in it goes following some really nice interplay....BEDLAM absolute BEDLAM. Greenie jnr still at first aid.

Second half kicks off. Greenie Jnr back now. More noise, more mayhem, the players are being carried on a wave of noise, surely we wont fail today, today must be our day.

Its mostly us, Lee B makes some astute subs, Pratly off (superb display, roughed them up all game) Jonny Williams arrival popped us into top gear and off he went at them for the remainder of the match. They didn't like him running at them, Josh got more space, as did Taylor.

Time ticks on, surely its extra time,....then it happened....that thing that no Charlton fan who was there will ever forget, again great interplay with Joe and Cullen (MOM), over it goes, the BFG heads it down, shit its saved, then he toe pokes it in from 6 yards.......then 2 years of frustratingly watching Jeff Stelling on a Saturday afternoon with all the frustrations that happen when you can't do something you have been doing for decades are released into a plethora of sheer unbridled joy, noise and madness, on the seats jumping up and down, kissed and hugged by so many people all experiencing the biggest high ever. Checked the ref and lino....it has really happened....it has really happened. 

THE FINAL WHISTLE. We are going up, against all the odds and against a man who is worth a billon euros who has single handedly tried to wreck our club, we are going up, they did it. They only went and did it. We love you Charlton, we do.
    It shows you cant buy class no much how much you have in the bank.

I watched the lads and manager lift the cup at Wembley, on what would have been my dads 82nd birthday........this is why we go to football and why we support a proper football club, the togetherness, the community the spirit and occasionally something like this happens to us, the collective US.
    Men were made great today and they play in Red and White.

*A small footnote to end a long post....I had a few celebratory Beers back at box park, the boys stayed on, so I walked back down the Way on my own, hopped on the tube to Victoria, chatted to many Addicks, got the train to Borough Green, got off no taxis, my Mrs was drinking so couldn't come and get me, so I walked 4.5 miles home to Vigo its all uphill, along dark, unlit, country lanes, as soon as a car came along I had to duck into hedges, then carry on walking, it took me over an hour, but I didn't really walk, I floated along, it didn't matter because we went to Wembley and we won our Charlton back.

COYRs

Great post @Greenie  @Greenie Junior I didn't realise that you said you did your ankle before the game, What a time to do it, nice to meet the rest of your family mate.
    Yeah mate bit of a nightmare, the booze got me through it haha
  • Options
    Phillips:   one moment's inattention but proved his skill and the sheer size of his heart and bollocks
    Dijksteel:  tireless and capable
    Bauer:  barely noticed him defensively, always a good sign, still switched right on after 95 minutes
    Sarr:  understandably shaky for 5 minutes or so but decent otherwise
    Purrington:  he's no wingback but delivered his best performance of the season, proper pro
    Bielik:  virtually faultless
    Cullen: ball in play he was familiarly excellent, dead balls were weirdly awful, he'll be sorely missed
    Aribo: apart from a few moves around mackems' box not his best game, flashes of the Joe we know
    Pratley: MOM industrious, elegant or ugly, just as required his experience shone brightly indeed, top work DP!
    Taylor: well marshalled by mackem's back line, industrious as always
    Parker: probably his best game for us, tireless against superior defenders, feeding on scraps
    Pearce: stepped back in like he'd never been away, a class act
    Williams: just the high energy nuisance Charlton needed and Sunderland didn't
    Referee: trying to let the game flow is all well and good, so long as you punish the transgressors for their fouls, the flurry of sunderland bookings towards the end was too little too late, overall had nothing significant to do and was up to that task, just