Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

Comments

• Maybe, but you'd bring Ali back in obviously, as he has been bowling well
  • Amused by cricinfo’s reporting on the streaker:
    ”...A distant pimply dot of wobbly human can be seen cavorting across the grass as the stewards give chase... stark naked... just a green wig. He has had a chat with Latham and Santner. He’s done a cartwheel now on the square... Scenes!”
  • That 1 run 35th over just added 0.6 to the required run rate.
  • Ali is a walking disaster when the going gets tough ,and they aint gonna be easy from now on. TBH he should be sent back to Worcester now.
    Hes in the squad as an all-rounder which he clearly isnt in this tourno , and you need players with backbone from now on. Just a shame we have no batters
    able to come in to replace him.
  • Ali is a walking disaster when the going gets tough ,and they aint gonna be easy from now on. TBH he should be sent back to Worcester now.
    Hes in the squad as an all-rounder which he clearly isnt in this tourno , and you need players with backbone from now on. Just a shame we have no batters
    able to come in to replace him.

Moeen, is not in good form at the moment with the bat I think he has been bowling okay and this is not the first time you have commented on his backbone, I think he has been excellent for England in all forms of the game.
  • Moeen's often at his best when the usual sorts come out and slag him off. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play in the semis or final, ropey batting form or otherwise
  • Latham gone.
  • edited July 2019
    Good old Plunkett
  • Unless you genuinely think Liam Dawson's popgun SLA is our best spin option (hint: it isn't)
  • Unless the impossible happens, England will have beaten two of the other semi finalists in their last two games, and beaten them well. Surely that has some phycological impact. 

Can still see Australia walk it mind
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2019
    We already have 5 bowlers, Archer,Wood,Plunkett,Stokes,Rashid or Curran - there is no need to replace Ali with a bowler, so the sensible option would have been  to bolster the batting, but for some strange reason, the selectors seem to have left us a batter short in reserve.
    If i was in the England team, you would think it would be natural to want scrappers in the team rather than the wet fish of Ali - wouldnt you?
  • Leuth said:
    Unless you genuinely think Liam Dawson's popgun SLA is our best spin option (hint: it isn't)
    To be fair our spin options are pretty thin.
    Unlike our pace attack we have loads to choose from. 
  • I want a good spinner. Rashid is not in good form - I agree - which leaves Ali. Who, as a bonus, can bat. Sometimes ;)
  • Spinners have done eff all in this tourno, Rashid,Khan,Kuldeep,Santner,Zampa have all been generally spanked. The only exception may be Shakib.

Go with 5 quicks with variation. The only thing about England is the lack of a leftie for variation.

Ali can go home in my opinion, and unfortnately Rashid has his shoulder problem. We have no real option re another batter, so maybe the only other thing is to bring in Curran at 8, or maybe Vince out of the spotlight at 6-7.
  • edited July 2019
    So you'd drop our main spin option for a sixth fast bowler or James Vince? I'm glad you don't pick the side
  • And 'Ali can go home' is plain nonsense. Why would you send one of your squad members home for being in streaky batting form? Unless you just didn't like him for some reason (can't think what that might be)
  • Leuth said:
    So you'd drop our main spin option for a sixth fast bowler or James Vince? I'm glad you don't pick the side
    Try to read my comments again.

Our 'main' spin option is clearly not very good when the pressure is on.
    Spinners are not performing in this tourno.
    We already 5 (FIVE) bowlers in Wood,Archer,Stokes,Woakes and Rashid or Curran (maybe).
    The only other batting option is Vince (selector decision).

I'm glad im not your optician.

• We're playing at Edgbaston next, which is giving assistance to the spinners, but whatever
  • Leuth said:
    We're playing at Edgbaston next, which is giving assistance to the spinners, but whatever

YS Chahal

K Yadav10.007217.20

Yeah, Indias spinners figures last at Edgbaston show that.
  • Even Vince's mum doesn't want him to play :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Even Vince's mum doesn't want him to play :smile:
    The selectors have clearly ballsed up here, we have Ali,Curran and Dawson all not playing , but the only batting option is Vince.
    Doesnt make any sense, especially when we have been playing with six bowlers , plus Root in every game, yet we have no option to bring in a batter.
  • Vince should be nowhere near the team now.

We’ve won the last two games. Let’s stick with this side until the end now, whichever way it goes.
  • Batting averages of the current England squad at Edgbaston in ODIs in the last five years. 

Bairstow 111.00 at 101.83 SR
    Stokes      95.50 at 107.30 
    Rashid      69.00 at 138.00 
    Moeen      67.00 at 134.00 
    Buttler      63.00 at 134.04 
    Roy           60.66 at 117.41 
    Root         51.75 at   91.18 
    Morgan     42.50 at   87.62
    Woakes       8.50 at   73.91 

• We've effectively just won 2 knock out games, confidence is high, 8 days to rest before the next game. Looking forward to it.

Another side batting first wins.
  • Not saying Denly is necessarily the answer, but the issue with Rashid's shoulder was one of the reasons they went from a top order batter who can bowl spin (Denly) to a spinner who can bat (Dawson) to cover for Rashid, which has left our squad looking slightly unbalanced to me
  • Looking like Aus v NZ and Eng v Ind as per a previous post, unless SA can spring a surprise on the Aussies.

We’ve won the last two games. Let’s stick with this side until the end now, whichever way it goes.
    Agreed, it's what I think. 
    No idea, why anyone would want to change it.

The only change they should consider is whether to bring in another spin bowler, as the next game is at Edgbaston.  That would obviously be Moeen Ali, but it would mean dropping one of Archer, Wood, Woakes, Stokes, and Plunkett.  

Realistically, they're not going to drop Woakes or Archer.  And dropping Stokes would mean losing the insurance of his runs, should the top order fail.  So that means choosing two out of Moeen, Wood and Plunkett.  No combination of two out of those three would significantly weaken the team. 
  • Chizz said:
    Vince should be nowhere near the team now.

The only change they should consider is whether to bring in another spin bowler, as the next game is at Edgbaston.  That would obviously be Moeen Ali, but it would mean dropping one of Archer, Wood, Woakes, Stokes, and Plunkett.  

Realistically, they're not going to drop Woakes or Archer.  And dropping Stokes would mean losing the insurance of his runs, should the top order fail.  So that means choosing two out of Moeen, Wood and Plunkett.  No combination of two out of those three would significantly weaken the team. 
    Plunkett has to play