Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bonne Confirmed

Comments

• Options
    At his age and experience, if Bonne is a "project", he can only improve technique and 'learn to play the Bowyer way' at Charlton.

He's not going to learn that by being loaned back to Leyton Orient or anywhere else.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    At his age and experience, if Bonne is a "project", he can only improve technique and 'learn to play the Bowyer way' at Charlton.

He's not going to learn that by being loaned back to Leyton Orient or anywhere else.

I don’t think you can improve technique at 23; maybe finishing and movement 
  • Options
    Finishing is technique. Must admit I’m surprised Bowyer wants to keep Bonne close to the squad this year. Perhaps he’s a little closer to offering Bowyer another option than he first thought. 
  • Options
    Maybe because Chuks has the movement of a barge where Bonne is quicker.
  • Options
    I doubt Bonne will be displacing Chuks any time soon.
  • Options
    Agree but Chuks strikes me as an impact sub at present.
  • Options
    Bar the finish against Stoke, I’ve been unimpressed so far 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Me too although he hasn't had alot of game time 
  • Options
    Bit disappointed with Aneke on Wednesday but I do think he had an impact against Barnsley. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One is a midfielder and one is a striker.

Bows has said that Bonne is a good finisher so it his movement that he is developing. If he didn’t think he was close to good enough to play he would send him out on loan.

At the moment we have 3 strikers and 1 that can play there. We also have the January window to face. Keep him here IMO.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    One is a midfielder and one is a striker.

Bows has said that Bonne is a good finisher so it his movement that he is developing. If he didn’t think he was close to good enough to play he would send him out on loan.

At the moment we have 3 strikers and 1 that can play there. We also have the January window to face. Keep him here IMO.
    3 - Hemed, Taylor and Bonne, and 2 that can play there - Leko and Aneke. Would definitely keep all 5 to give us options. 
  • Options
    bromdog said:
    Redhenry said:
    bromdog said:
    Redhenry said:
    Pleased to see Bowyer show some faith in him Saturday, hopefully he now rates him. Don't know if its true or not, but i was told he wasn't a Bowyer signing. 
    Gallen said he'd been watching him for 18 months or so before we signed him so must have got the OK from Bowyer. 
    He said he had been watching him for 18 months, doesn't mean he was one of his or Bowyers first choices.
    Strange signing for me, he is 24 soon, got released from Colchester and has only really scored goals in non League. I doubt he will start a League game for us this season IMHO.
    As I said, was told he wasn't Bowyers signing. 
    I think with our budget we missed out on many of our first choices. Just seems like this season we haven't had any players forced upon us as in the past. So would he suprised. Just an observation. 
    I'm sure we did lose out on some, but it might not be as many as we'd think.

Cullen, Purrington and Williams would have all been first choices. Add Oztumer to that as we were after him in January.

Bowyer always said the loans would come in towards the end of the window. He seems to really rate Kayal so I'm sure he would have been high up the list. Kayal and Hemed may have even been seen as possibly out of our reach.

Bonne wouldn't have been a first choice to be a first team regular. He'd have been on another list, i.e. a striker to be 4th or 5th choice who we could try to develop.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    bromdog said:
    Redhenry said:
    bromdog said:
    Redhenry said:
    Pleased to see Bowyer show some faith in him Saturday, hopefully he now rates him. Don't know if its true or not, but i was told he wasn't a Bowyer signing. 
    Gallen said he'd been watching him for 18 months or so before we signed him so must have got the OK from Bowyer. 
    He said he had been watching him for 18 months, doesn't mean he was one of his or Bowyers first choices.
    Strange signing for me, he is 24 soon, got released from Colchester and has only really scored goals in non League. I doubt he will start a League game for us this season IMHO.
    I think with our budget we missed out on many of our first choices. Just seems like this season we haven't had any players forced upon us as in the past. So would he suprised. Just an observation. 
    Well we lost out on Marc McNulty; three games and no goals for Sunderland leaves me pretty unbothered so far though

Bielik and Nketiah would have been others but you could question how realistic they are

Regardless of the names that we missed out on, you could argue that we ended up with better players as a result, i.e. would we have Hemed if we also signed McNulty?
  • Options
    Marcus Browne was another one. Was on loan at Oxford last season from West Ham but chose Middlesbrough ahead of us.

Nketiah had something like 20 clubs interested, that was never going to happen.
  • Options
    From the latest press conference by LB...

💬LB: “Macauley Bonne is a project and is improving all the time. His movement is getting better and we have a great base to work from because he can finish. Ideally, I’d like to keep him here and keep working with him so, as it stands, we won’t be loaning him out.” #cafc

Do we still say "In Bowyer we Trust"? Or do you armchair coaches, who've never seen Bonne in training, think he's got this one wrong?
    I’ll be happy with whatever Lee decides and never pretended otherwise. Not sure why the confrontational tone...
  • Options
    Talal said:
    From the latest press conference by LB...

💬LB: “Macauley Bonne is a project and is improving all the time. His movement is getting better and we have a great base to work from because he can finish. Ideally, I’d like to keep him here and keep working with him so, as it stands, we won’t be loaning him out.” #cafc

Do we still say "In Bowyer we Trust"? Or do you armchair coaches, who've never seen Bonne in training, think he's got this one wrong?
    Got no problem with Bonne staying if Bowyer thinks it's best for him, but armchair coaches? For having an opinion on a forum? Please. 
    This with bells on.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Finishing is technique. Must admit I’m surprised Bowyer wants to keep Bonne close to the squad this year. Perhaps he’s a little closer to offering Bowyer another option than he first thought. 
    Listening to Charlton Live it sounds like Bowyer might strongly believe that Lyle will be off in January and, with Roland in charge, there’s no guarantee of a replacement. Maybe Bowyer wants to keep Bonne close so he knows what he’s working with if he suddenly moves one rung up the pecking order in early January?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

The last "project" we had was Bradley Pritchard. He also joined us at an "advanced" age and was Zimbabwean.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    bromdog said:
    Redhenry said:
    bromdog said:
    Redhenry said:
    Well we lost out on Marc McNulty; three games and no goals for Sunderland leaves me pretty unbothered so far though

Bielik and Nketiah would have been others but you could question how realistic they are

Regardless of the names that we missed out on, you could argue that we ended up with better players as a result, i.e. would we have Hemed if we also signed McNulty?
    I forgot about him - much happier with what we’ve got in hindsight. Leko has impressed so far - surely we went for him after losing out on mcnulty.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    bromdog said:
    Redhenry said:
    bromdog said:
    Redhenry said:

I forgot about him - much happier with what we’ve got in hindsight. Leko has impressed so far - surely we went for him after losing out on mcnulty.
    Id say we went after Taylor after losing McNulty; when Bristol City didnt get a Striker in time we probably moved on to Hemed

Wonder if Leko became a target when it became clear we werent actually in the running for Nketiah
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    bromdog said:
    Redhenry said:
    bromdog said:
    Redhenry said:

Id say we went after Taylor after losing McNulty; when Bristol City didnt get a Striker in time we probably moved on to Hemed

Wonder if Leko became a target when it became clear we werent actually in the running for Nketiah
    I wonder which striker we’ll try to get from Bristol city next window (to which they make us wait then move on) 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

I'm guessing you didn't watch the reading game then? 
  • Options
    Reckon Bowyer is right about Bonne...

If its true that Lee is having individual sessions with him then its surely going to help Bonne more as he'll actually learn rather than just joining another team where he'll simply get games
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

I'm guessing you didn't watch the reading game then? 

His comment was pre- reading....
  • Options
    I always thought Bonne would go out on loan and said so but if Lee Bowyer thinks the best way forward is to keep working closely with him then that’s refreshing and good to hear. 
  • Options
    I'd have thought it'd make more sense to keep him here until January - work on him in training to take some of the rough edges off, give him the odd substitute cameo to see what he can do and then make a decision in January. If he's done well and is impacting games here then keep him, especially if we lose Taylor. If we've got a fully fit squad, look comfortable in mid-table, and he isn't really getting any game time, give him the second half of the season on loan like we did with Grant to Crawley.

Glad Bows knows good advice when he reads it.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

If Exiled_Addick can blow his own trumpet, then so can I :smile: