Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Conor Gallagher - Going to Athletico (p81)

Comments

• Apparently a Wall mate of mine reckons that if Chelsea do recall Conor that they are going to make an offer for him until the end of the season as they are pushing for the 'playoffs' 
    Never laughed so much in my life 😂😂
    Yep they're 8th and 1 point outside the playoffs , only 11 places and 12 points above us 
    I completely understand that they are in a much better position than us at the minute but can you seriously see Conor going there?
  • Williams, Oztumer, Aneke
    Gallagher, Maddison? Lapslie
    Cullen, Mowatt? Morgan
    Pratley, Field, JFC

Assuming we Maddison and one other (to replace Kayal and compete/rotate with Cullen) and assming we can get them all fit, losing Conor wouldnt leave us short on numbers as such but we would lose some serious quality and a number of attributes that no one else in the squad brings.

Hope its not true but a major loss IMO. 
  • clb74 said:
    Jamie19 said:
    clb74 said:
    A midfield of Pratley, Cullen, Williams and Maddison is still very good. JFC, Field and Oztumer covering. Would like another one to replace Kayal though. 
    It would be if they were all fit and we actually do sign maddison
    They’re all either fit or due back within the next week or two, fingers crossed they stay fit and Maddison signs soon.
    So there not all fit.
    Yeah but they're coming back and Lyle might play and Toney and Maddison and we're a great price for top half finish , things are looking up 
  • Apparently a Wall mate of mine reckons that if Chelsea do recall Conor that they are going to make an offer for him until the end of the season as they are pushing for the 'playoffs' 
    Yep they're 8th and 1 point outside the playoffs , only 11 places and 12 points above us 
    I completely understand that they are in a much better position than us at the minute but can you seriously see Conor going there?
    Well sadly they're a more attractive option than us right now on footballing merit alone
  • clb74 said:
    Jamie19 said:
    clb74 said:
    A midfield of Pratley, Cullen, Williams and Maddison is still very good. JFC, Field and Oztumer covering. Would like another one to replace Kayal though. 
    It would be if they were all fit and we actually do sign maddison
    They’re all either fit or due back within the next week or two, fingers crossed they stay fit and Maddison signs soon.
    So there not all fit.
    That’s not how it works on FIFA
    When you say mate, did you mean employee?
    Cullen, Mowatt? Morgan
    Pratley, Field, JFC

Assuming we Maddison and one other (to replace Kayal and compete/rotate with Cullen) and assming we can get them all fit, losing Conor wouldnt leave us short on numbers as such but we would lose some serious quality and a number of attributes that no one else in the squad brings.

Williams - at the rate we get players back probably wont start for another month. Too late.
    Oztumer - injured and when factoring in how long Charlton players take to come back will be too late.
    Aneke - Can't rely on staying fit for any length of time.
    Maddison - plays for Peterborough
    Lapslie - not champ quality
    Cullen - not even back yet. Will probably need two months before being considered ready to start at our rates. Too late
    Mowatt - plays for Barnsley
    Morgan - shouldnt be starting at champ level yet
    Pratley - done well but poor guy wont be able to keep playing every week
    Field - at the rate we get players back probably wont start for another month or 2. Too late.
    JFC - has barely played for 18 months.

We are only heading one way. The only option we have is to go very big in the transfer market as relegation would be a disaster..... we need 5 or 6 big quality signings to rescue the season IMO.
  • Gallagher is a talent, But he's a loanee from a club where being a loanee is a business in its own right.
    For Cafc to make progress we need to have our best players signed up on permanent deals. That was never going to happen with Conor and I'm not certain it will happen with Cullen. Josh would be our Marquee signing but is he out of our wage price range ? 
    Derby went from having Mount, Wilson and Tomori last season on loan to the poorest side to come to the valley this season. You lose top players on loan you become weaker. 
    By February 1st, if Gallagher has been loaned to another side because Chelsea feel it's beneficial to his career then it's out of our hands.
    Along with Joe Gomez, the best Teenager to play for Cafc. 

• Really can see no point in Gallagher leaving Charlton,the aim of loaning out young players is to get playing experience.He is certain to play most games ,he is not far from home,he clearly enjoys being here,the fans love him,and Frank Lampard is not stupid.If he goes to Norwich,Burnley he will be on the bench,Qpr,Swansea ,I dont know,is there a place in their midfield for him.
  • edited January 2020
    Gallagher is a talent, But he's a loanee from a club where being a loanee is a business in its own right.
    For Cafc to make progress we need to have our best players signed up on permanent deals. That was never going to happen with Conor and I'm not certain it will happen with Cullen. Josh would be our Marquee signing but is he out of our wage price range ? 
    Derby went from having Mount, Wilson and Tomori last season on loan to the poorest side to come to the valley this season. You lose top players on loan you become weaker. 
    By February 1st, if Gallagher has been loaned to another side because Chelsea feel it's beneficial to his career then it's out of our hands.
    Along with Joe Gomez, the best Teenager to play for Cafc. 

Have to agree with all of this. Problem is people are feeling emotional about this and the whole thing does grate somewhat. For whatever reason (if it happens of course) there has been a decision made by someone somewhere and unfortunately we may never know what that is. We could speculate all day on the reasons and whether we understand them/disagree with them but in reality who knows. As unlikely as the whole thing is I haven't seen many mention that it has come from his side. Possibility he isn't happy for whatever reason or maybe someone from his family or agent has persuaded him. Seems about as likely to me as any of the other speculation but unfortunately we wouldn't want to hear that is the case over any other reason.
  • Sponsored links:

• Two facts

He is Chelseas player
    There is a recall in the loan agreement

IMO this has more to do with Bowyers contract issue. Connor has said he is leaning a lot off Bowyer but if Chelsea looking at our form/new owners/and until last week no contract ,they may have asked Connor if he wanted to stay should Bowyer go. If he said no then they either have a short window to find him somewhere else or he stays with whom ever came in. 

We can hardly moan about recall after bringing all the kids back in the last month.
  • you know what, it is what it is. It’s not the first time we’ve been shat upon from a great height and it won’t be the last. I don’t see the value in taking Connor away from his family for six months and dumping him in a hotel. But hey ho. Hopefully, there are bigger fish in the sea and we have 2 weeks to try and catch one ... COYR’s 
  • edited January 2020
    Worrying to potentially lose Gallagher and Taylor in January when you’re flirting with relegation. Tough ask to expect Gallen to find players to come in, hit the ground running and replace two of the spine of this team. 

A season long loan should mean just that. Bloody ridiculous. 

• Only last Thursday at the press conference it was stated that representatives from Chelsea have visited a few times and have been delighted with Gallagher's progress with us...

Literally a few days later they are supposedly about to perform a complete U-turn and send him to another team in our division for the sake of a few ££ a week (this is Roman Abramovich's Chelsea we're talking about). I bloody hate football sometimes... 😫
  • I understand we're getting players back but realistically how much could he have learnt training and playing with our under 23s and 18s teams?? Not his or our fault but a lot to put on his shoulders these last 3/4 months. 
  • edited January 2020

Agreed, I could understand if Chelsea had injury problems or Gallagher wasn’t playing or wasn’t improving I couldn’t care less in fact because we do it aswell but if he goes to another championship club it’s a joke, not sure if it’s so he’s playing in a better team or a possession based team but as a player I’m sure he’d improve more battling around the bottom and learning the defensive side of his game aswell as going forward.

not happy at all if this happens which it seems it’s going to.

• I do like how people will accept a rumour of Harlee Dean joining from a random Twitter account with less than a thousand followers, but someone from The Sun is a nobody living with their parents making up rumours when it's someone leaving us.
  • Davo55 said:
    Sadly, I think Conor will be off. That's obviously very disappointing because he's done so well for us and we've come to think of him as "one of ours". But the reality is, he's Chelsea's player and they've got every right to do what they think is best for themselves and for Conor. We would with one of our youngsters. 

In his time with us, he's made his major breakthrough into first team football, taken the Championship by the scruff of the neck, experienced good times challenging near the top with strong teammates, experienced a tough losing run in a squad decimated by injuries where he suddenly became one of the older hands helping the youngsters, experienced the trauma and excitement of a takeover, gloried in having his name belted out by the Covered End. That's quite something to pack into six months. What, in all honesty, we can't do is give him the experienced of a promotion battle. Maybe that's what they want to provide next.

So, if he does go, it's with a huge thank you from me. To him for being so great, and to Chelsea for letting us have him for a while. 

One other thing. We've developed a great reputation for helping top clubs develop their youngsters while they are on loan here. That will only serve us in good stead in the future (although I would love us to be less reliant on loans in general). It wont do us any good to be bitching at lending clubs when they decide to recall. That's their prerogative.
    See, that’s where I disagree. It’s a season long loan. He should be here for the season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• We can hardly moan about recall after bringing all the kids back in the last month.
    Yeah but yeah but yeah but it's just not fair

• We can hardly moan about recall after bringing all the kids back in the last month.
    We brought them back because we had 13 injuries surely there’s a difference.
  • Jamie19 said:

We can hardly moan about recall after bringing all the kids back in the last month.
    We brought them back because we had 13 injuries surely there’s a difference.
    We're doing what's best for us 

Chelsea will do what's best for them
  • Only last Thursday at the press conference it was stated that representatives from Chelsea have visited a few times and have been delighted with Gallagher's progress with us...

Literally a few days later they are supposedly about to perform a complete U-turn and send him to another team in our division for the sake of a few ££ a week (this is Roman Abramovich's Chelsea we're talking about). I bloody hate football sometimes... 😫
    If he goes, and it sounds like a probability, then I would imagine it’s more about his development rather than money for Chelsea. His club and his advisors may feel his progress is best served as part of a successful team’s midfield rather than the main player in a struggling team. I have some sympathy for this point of view disappointing though it is.
    Cullen, Mowatt? Morgan
    Pratley, Field, JFC

Williams - at the rate we get players back probably wont start for another month. Too late.
    Oztumer - injured and when factoring in how long Charlton players take to come back will be too late.
    Cullen - not even back yet. Will probably need two months before being considered ready to start at our rates. Too late
    Field - at the rate we get players back probably wont start for another month or 2. Too late.

We are only heading one way. The only option we have is to go very big in the transfer market as relegation would be a disaster..... we need 5 or 6 big quality signings to rescue the season IMO.
    Not the be all on a positive note but Oztumer was 100% training yday. 
  • Valley11 said:
    Davo55 said:
    Sadly, I think Conor will be off. That's obviously very disappointing because he's done so well for us and we've come to think of him as "one of ours". But the reality is, he's Chelsea's player and they've got every right to do what they think is best for themselves and for Conor. We would with one of our youngsters. 

In his time with us, he's made his major breakthrough into first team football, taken the Championship by the scruff of the neck, experienced good times challenging near the top with strong teammates, experienced a tough losing run in a squad decimated by injuries where he suddenly became one of the older hands helping the youngsters, experienced the trauma and excitement of a takeover, gloried in having his name belted out by the Covered End. That's quite something to pack into six months. What, in all honesty, we can't do is give him the experienced of a promotion battle. Maybe that's what they want to provide next.

So, if he does go, it's with a huge thank you from me. To him for being so great, and to Chelsea for letting us have him for a while. 

One other thing. We've developed a great reputation for helping top clubs develop their youngsters while they are on loan here. That will only serve us in good stead in the future (although I would love us to be less reliant on loans in general). It wont do us any good to be bitching at lending clubs when they decide to recall. That's their prerogative.
    See, that’s where I disagree. It’s a season long loan. He should be here for the season. 
    But thems the rules at the moment if both clubs agree to a recall clause being incorporated in the loan deal so we knew the risk.
    Cullen, Mowatt? Morgan
    Pratley, Field, JFC

Not the be all on a positive note but Oztumer was 100% training yday. 

Thats good - at CAFC rates we could get him back ready to start by March :)
  • Be gutted if he goes but if he does then so be it.
    What we have shown with Connor, Josh Cullen and Krystian Bielik is that young players can improve massively at The Valley, under Lee Bowyer. This will not have gone unnoticed by other Premier League clubs looking to loan players out. 
  • edited January 2020
    Stig said:
    Chunes said:
    Why would they take a loan fee to risk a bigger transfer fee at the end? Nobody would do that. 

The likeliest scenario is that it's just Conor's agent making some noise to draw some media attention off the back of a big leap in development. So when he is available, everyone knows who he is.
    Not sure I understand what the risk would be.
    Maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better, but I feel if they are going to sell him eventually, he'd do better with a guaranteed place in a starting 11 than trying to fit into a side going for promotion. 

Likewise if I was Bowyer & Gallen I would think twice before taking a Chelsea youngster on loan again. You get punished for doing well with them. 

If he does go it will be a massive loss. Another midfielder out (permanently this time) that has to be replaced. And he's been the engine room and danger man for some time, despite a slight dip in form.