Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Conor Gallagher - Going to Athletico (p81)

Comments

• Be gutted if he goes but if he does then so be it.
    What we have shown with Connor, Josh Cullen and Krystian Bielik is that young players can improve massively at The Valley, under Lee Bowyer. This will not have gone unnoticed by other Premier League clubs looking to loan players out. 
    But then we will be back to square one when they leave half way through the season.

I think now, if we do actually have some money, we have to get players in who are ours on 3 year deals. We all moaned about Roland not backing that approach, so hopefully ESI show they are better in their approach
  • Of course there is interest in Gallagher, he is a great player, but that does not mean he is going anywhere.
    What we have shown with Connor, Josh Cullen and Krystian Bielik is that young players can improve massively at The Valley, under Lee Bowyer. This will not have gone unnoticed by other Premier League clubs looking to loan players out. 
    But then we will be back to square one when they leave half way through the season.

I think now, if we do actually have some money, we have to get players in who are ours on 3 year deals. We all moaned about Roland not backing that approach, so hopefully ESI show they are better in their approach
    Totally agree. Previously we had no choice but to loan players. You would hope now that we can just have one or two on loan rather 5. 
  • obviously i want to keep hold of him BUT, if a loan signing is replaced by a permanent signing it is generally a good thing. 

if he leaves and we replace him with a permanent signing of LB's/SG's choosing i'm not going to be overly bothered.

i know it would be much better to be doing this in the summer and CG will be a loss but it's not the end of the world.

Also, if he does leave - he was shit anyway...
  • Playing in a team partly made up of u-23 players can’t be great for his development. Also being the key player in a side means you’re targeted by the opposition, hence the reason he was kicked to bits in the Derby game.
    The Chelsea Academy makes a sizable profit every year hoovering up the World’s best youth, sending them out on loan and selling them at a profit. It’s only out of necessity that recently some of those players have appeared in the first team. It’s a business and Swansea were probably offering the most money with the possibility of a permanent deal. For us we’re the victim of Conor’s success in the team. Every scout in the Prem and Champo would have been recommending him. Shame if it’s all true. He would’ve been my player of the season.
  • Chelsea run loans as a business and having noted we have new owners now, may think we should be paying the going rate for one of their players and the threat of a recall could be their way of starting negotiations. Pay us or he goes.
  • clb74 said:
    RedChaser said:
    Let's all calm down; at the moment it hasn't happened and no point in fearing the worst for the rest of the season. The time to take stock is at the end of the transfer window when we will know what the squad comprises of.

Gallagher has been a revelation for us and was on course for player of the season but this is the downside of the loan system and having to rely on it so heavily under the previous regime. To quote Bowyer 'It is what it is'. Going forward hopefully this will not be as much of an issue.

Of course It'll be a kick in the nadgers but there's nothing we can do about it. It's Chelsea's call and if we lose him it'll be down to the management and new owners to find  a suitable replacement(s) to give us the best chance of Championship football being played at the Valley next season. Keep your peckers up!

Calm down , you having a laugh this is Charlton life.
    You going Preston Saturday 
    Going TO Preston!!!!! :*

It appears that the club is already trying to do that. In an ideal world loan signings would be brought in to back up and complement the full time players. 
    In the last couple of years the loan signings have been essential, due to Roland's minimal budget. Hopefully, that is no longer the case and that any future loan signings will be helpful but not essential. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    If he goes on loan to another Championship club, I can only see that being the biggest waste of time going. He’s settled here and what is he going to get at another club in the same league for his development that he hasn’t or can’t get here? It’s bullshit. He’s developed so much in 5 months, why change that for another club in the Championship?
    They have a link with Swansea, they've just got Marc Guehi on loan from Chelsea and are also looking at Tariq Uwakwe. 
  • Sage said:
    If he goes on loan to another Championship club, I can only see that being the biggest waste of time going. He’s settled here and what is he going to get at another club in the same league for his development that he hasn’t or can’t get here? It’s bullshit. He’s developed so much in 5 months, why change that for another club in the Championship?
    They have a link with Swansea, they've just got Marc Guehi on loan from Chelsea and are also looking at Tariq Uwakwe. 
    Stinks of nepotism. 
  • Seems strange to me that there’s been no clarification from us or Chelsea as to what the exact situation is?
  • edited January 2020
    Off to swansea? Seems a waste 
  • edited January 2020
    Seems strange to me that there’s been no clarification from us or Chelsea as to what the exact situation is?
    At the weekend Gallen said there was no intention so far from Chelsea to recall him, the club are hardly going to react to every single rumour... theyl have fk all time to get anything else done. 
  • edited January 2020
    shine166 said:
    Seems strange to me that there’s been no clarification from us or Chelsea as to what the exact situation is?
    At the weekend Gallen said there was no intention so far from Chelsea to recall him, the club are hardly going to react to every single rumour... theyl have fk all time to get anything else done. 
    A day is a long time in politics.....and the same can clearly be said nowadays in the world of professional football.
  • shine166 said:
    A day is a long time in politics.....the same can clearly be said nowadays in the world of professional football.
    Exactly. What was deemed to be true yesterday might not be the case today....and of course it could all change tomorrow. 
  • Until there is a limit on how many players parent clubs can loan out, clubs like Chelsea will continue to cast the net far and wide in the hope of catching a few salmon in amongst the shitty nappies.
    if there was a limit of (say 5) then imo a high percentage of the 26 they have out on loan (41 last season) would filter down to lower leagues for first team football. And remember, they are still fulfilling their u23 fixtures with what they still have at the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• They can recall him but only if we get a new loanee from them to replace him.

I hear Giroud wants more playing time before the Euros....
  • Sage said:
    Do you know for a fact he's settled though?
  • shine166 said:
    A day is a long time in politics.....the same can clearly be said nowadays in the world of professional football.
    Better hold a press conference for every rumour on Twitter then I guess
  • Isn't the deadline for a recall today? 
  • If Chelsea have decided to recall him then why not get on with it and recall him. 
  • Isn’t this what we did to Wimbledon to get Purtington in on loan this time last year?

A real shame if he goes but is part of modern football.

Tomorrow I believe. 
    Tomorrow I believe. 
    Isn't that for Cullen?
  • edited January 2020
    cafc-west said:
    Also seems strange that it is now the middle of January.  Surely if they were going to recall him - they would have done it by now.  Can't see any sense in delaying it...
    I believe they had up to January 14th to trigger a recall.......so by my way of thinking, we should be hearing the low down (one way or the other), sometime today.
    Tomorrow I believe. 
    Isn't that for Cullen?
    Yes,see concurrent thread for Cullen.