Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Conor Gallagher - Going to Athletico (p81)

Comments

• Gutted at this news, but this is the risk with loans. If he hadn't played well for us, he would have stayed, we are both a victim of his success and the recipients of it.

Also, if we had a player playing that well out on loan from us, we'd recall them (doesn't make it any easier though) : ( 
  • We've just lost our best player, to say I am absolutely gutted would be an understatement.
    I am not underplaying Conor's ability because he was fantastic. But when everyone is fit, Cullen is our best and most influential player.
    Conor is 100 times better than Cullen.
    Why would you say Conor was 100 times better than Cullen? 
  • Be interesting to see how Derby fans take to him if he went there. He rattled them a couple of weeks ago.

Wonder if Burnley are in for him and Chelsea think he's got the opportunity to step up and learn more.
    Don't we all want players who can not only "rattle" the opposition but can play too? Football fans are very fickle but better on our side than the opposition has always been favoured.
  • I don't think Conor would have initiated it, Chelsea have probably had a lot of interest and it makes sense for them even if it is a dick move, to put him in a better footballing team which we have stopped being since Cullen/Jonny Williams have gone down injured, but I think if he really pushed to stay they surely would have listened and kept him here.
  • SamE7 said:
    Chunes said:
    Bloody hell. They've just straight-up recalled him without even having another loan to send him to??

Awful news. Another midfielder down now. Not easy to replace. We're in a relegation battle with no players.
    I imagine they have at least one club lined up. Unless it's a Premier League club I really don't see the point. He's settled in well, has clearly developed and they're going to unsettle him mid-season. Typical Chelsea. 
    As I said yesterday (first), Swansea. I was told that at about 8pm. I will be very surprised if it ends up being wrong
    You got any inside news on Maddison?
    Unfortunately not, I don't get told much and often (wish I did)
  • On sky sports they were at chelsea’s training ground in cobham - sorry chaps 
    Looks like thats that then. 
    Can only imagine our injury crisis has played a part and Chelsea not happy with Conor playing with our u23 midfield the last few months. 
    Makelele was down at the club in October i believe and seemed over the moon with Conor's development back then.
  • That's the down side of the loan system , they are put in the shop window. I hope it had nothing to do with him having to play 3 games in the space of 5 or 6 days during the Christmas period. He needed a rest but due to the injuries he couldn't be. We would not have got promoted last season without the loan players so we have have done well out of the system.

It's the downside of having a recall clause in a loan contract.
  • Sponsored links:

• We've just lost our best player, to say I am absolutely gutted would be an understatement.
    I am not underplaying Conor's ability because he was fantastic. But when everyone is fit, Cullen is our best and most influential player.
    Edited my post, but honestly anybody that believes Cullen is a better player than Gallagher in my opinion is deluded.
  • edited January 2020
    Sage said:
    Chelsea are fucking wankers.

Wherever he goes is a joke, think about the player, his happiness, development and career. Doesn’t matter who ‘owns’ the player, it’s their career and going to Swansea is not going to benefit him any more than being here.

God, I hope we get in someone with good quality and finish above Swansea this season and Chelsea miss out on Europe. Even if that’s unlikely. 

Sad to say it, but now its happened you have to consider the fact the player is clearly open and agreeing to whatever the next move is. He was placed here for a year, he's been doing well, If he really was happy wanting to see the season out here, i've absolutely no doubt they would have left him here.

Doubt we'll ever get the full story behind this one.

• Sky sports saying he has been recalled for assessment by chelsea and it is not yet confirmed that his loan deal with us is finished - his future could be decided today. 
    My eyesight is shit but I wouldn't want to identify that picture as him in a line out and send him down 
  • Might be unpopular, but got a bad feeling Gallagher has initiated this and the Chelsea accusations bit premature.

Chelsea/Lampard happy with him being here and his progress. Has he had a little moan up because he's now playing in a pretty poor midfield with other 18/19yo getting overrun most weeks and losing games? If we didn't have the injuries and were still going like we were at the beginning with him scoring goals and being more creative, I don't know that this would be happening. He might fancy himself as wanting to play in a successful, creative team, more like the Derby loanees had last season.

Generally hope I am wrong as I want to love the guy for what he did for us in these 5 months, but something don't add up or sit right. Particularly when you factor in there is no immediate loan lined up
    It's an interesting theory.  Swansea wiped the floor with us at The Valley, and on paper we are hurtling towards relegation.  It's a great shame, because Gallagher has been our most creative player this season.  Would Maddison be a direct replacement, or is he more defensive?  

Far more attacking, they dont even play same position. Maddision a CAM/Left sided attacking mid

Edit: ok maybe not 100x, but much better. Offers so much more going forward than Cullen.

They are different types of midfielders. Cullen is accomplished in a more holding role, while Gallagher is better going forward. Cullen makes our midfield tick, and we are a much better team when he's fit.
  • Might be unpopular, but got a bad feeling Gallagher has initiated this and the Chelsea accusations bit premature.

Chelsea/Lampard happy with him being here and his progress. Has he had a little moan up because he's now playing in a pretty poor midfield with other 18/19yo getting overrun most weeks and losing games? If we didn't have the injuries and were still going like we were at the beginning with him scoring goals and being more creative, I don't know that this would be happening. He might fancy himself as wanting to play in a successful, creative team, more like the Derby loanees had last season.

Generally hope I am wrong as I want to love the guy for what he did for us in these 5 months, but something don't add up or sit right. Particularly when you factor in there is no immediate loan lined up
    Not what I've heard but its 100% happened. Fuck chelsea bunch of wankers. Must have short memories, not just the progress connor made, look at Jay dasilva. Wankers the lot of them
  • kentred2 said:
    Well I hope we never loan out and develop another Chelsea youth player again. I understand Chelsea want what's best for the player, but if they have continually praised our development of Conor, and then pulled this on us, it's just not really fair on the time and resources we spent on him.
    Chelsea obviously not happy with his development or feel gone as far forward as he can in this Charlton side. 
    Or exceeded where they thought he would be and want to test him at a higher level?  By the sounds of the Gallen interview https://www.football.london/charlton-athletic-fc/charlton-transfer-market-arsenal-chelsea-17562561 he liked being round the place 
    He's been told a million times not to exaggerate!!
  • What does recalling him for assessment mean?
  • Sponsored links:

• Sky sports saying he has been recalled for assessment by chelsea and it is not yet confirmed that his loan deal with us is finished - his future could be decided today. 
    My eyesight is shit but I wouldn't want to identify that picture as him in a line out and send him down 
    He's the one at the front. 
  • Sage said:

Wherever he goes is a joke, think about the player, his happiness, development and career. Doesn’t matter who ‘owns’ the player, it’s their career and going to Swansea is not going to benefit him any more than being here.

God, I hope we get in someone with good quality and finish above Swansea this season and Chelsea miss out on Europe. Even if that’s unlikely. 

Sad to say it, but now its happened you have to consider the fact the player is clearly open and agreeing to whatever the next move is. He was placed here for a year, he's been doing well, If he really was happy wanting to see the season out here, i've absolutely no doubt he would have left him here.

Pretty sure he'll do whatever Chelsea tell him to do (within reason).

"you're leaving Charlton and we're sending you a club higher in the league" is hardly going to break his heart.
  • That's the down side of the loan system , they are put in the shop window. I hope it had nothing to do with him having to play 3 games in the space of 5 or 6 days during the Christmas period. He needed a rest but due to the injuries he couldn't be. We would not have got promoted last season without the loan players so we have have done well out of the system.
    Exactly this.
    Edited my post, but honestly anybody that believes Cullen is a better player than Gallagher in my opinion is deluded.
    Fully fit, I think Cullen was our most important player - he ran the midfield. Gallagher has more flair and scores goals, although they have dried up lately. 
  • Sage said:

Sad to say it, but now its happened you have to consider the fact the player is clearly open and agreeing to whatever the next move is. He was placed here for a year, he's been doing well, If he really was happy wanting to see the season out here, i've absolutely no doubt he would have left him here.

Pretty sure he'll do whatever Chelsea tell him to do (within reason).

"you're leaving Charlton and we're sending you a club higher in the league" is hardly going to break his heart.
    He's not an IT consultant registered with a consultancy. They don't disrupt 18yr olds unless the kid is happy to and they see valid reason.
  • Chunes said:
    What does recalling him for assessment mean?
    Lets see how he trains with Premier League players

Looks good enough in training = Burnley or Norwich
    Still lacking = Swansea or Derby

It's an interesting theory.  Swansea wiped the floor with us at The Valley, and on paper we are hurtling towards relegation.  It's a great shame, because Gallagher has been our most creative player this season.  Would Maddison be a direct replacement, or is he more defensive?  
    Swansea did not wipe the floor with us mate at the valley.