Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Conor Gallagher - Going to Athletico (p81)

Comments

• Any chance that Chelsea would do the right thing and loan us a replacement? Who is this other midfielder that they are hawking around for a loan?

Also, regarding Spurs's Jack Clarke going to QPR, wouldn't we be a better option for him?
    Not sure I would want to anymore business with them.  I think think the player they are trying to loan out is Billy Gilmour. 

Clarke would be a decent signing - but we would no doubt see him injured 2 games in to his loan spell. 
    i would take Gilmour as long as playing him was 100% LB's call.

he's made two appearances for the Chelsea first team this season so i think anyone taking him on loan will be expected to play him every week
  • Any chance that Chelsea would do the right thing and loan us a replacement? Who is this other midfielder that they are hawking around for a loan?

Also, regarding Spurs's Jack Clarke going to QPR, wouldn't we be a better option for him?
    Not sure I would want to anymore business with them.  I think think the player they are trying to loan out is Billy Gilmour. 

Clarke would be a decent signing - but we would no doubt see him injured 2 games in to his loan spell. 
    Tariq Uwakwe
    Easy for you to say  ;)
  • SamE7 said:
    Conor Gallagher staying at Charlton. Just confirmed. By me. Because I'm not an idiot. 
    This indirect insult aimed at me yesterday aged well..
    SamE7 emerges bruised and scathed with the authentic seal of ITK authenticity  ;)
  • edited January 2020
    Also, genuine question. Is there not a chance they’re just checking on progress? I know nothing but I would have thought it’s not too uncommon for a player to go back and spend a day or two training with his senior club so they can assess progress.
  • Know a few Chelsea rent boys and even they are confused at the point of recalling him. 

Good old Fat Frank.
  • It would be REALLY annoying if Chelsea are just recalling him to send him to another club in the same division, but ultimately the parent club has the right to do what they want

Last season Harvey Barnes was on loan at WBA for the season, but did so well (9 goals) that Leicester took him back. Eoin Doyle was on loan at Swindon for the season, but got recalled by Bradford last week. In those cases the parent club actually wanted to play the player, but I'm sure WBA and Swindon fans were just as gutted if not more so.
  • Has he gone back or not?
  • Sponsored links:

• vffvff
    edited January 2020
    J BLOCK said:
    Lad I work with plays for Dorking, where Connors two brother play. Says that Connor doesn’t want to leave but Two other teams in the champ are going to be paying 100% of his wages and we’re currently only paying 1/3. He was the same lad that told me Lockyer was signing a few weeks before he did, so no reason to not trust him. 
    If that's the case, could Charlton have been given a chance to pay 100% wages or does that break the wage structure ? I know its a bit immaterial now. 
  • I'm holding hope until it actually happens

From my perspective, there's little point in recalling him just to ship him out to another Championship team
  • SamE7 said:
    Conor Gallagher staying at Charlton. Just confirmed. By me. Because I'm not an idiot. 
    SamE7 emerges bruised and scathed with the authentic seal of ITK authenticity  ;)
    Ha ha, indeed its not, I am willing to eat my share of humble pie here.

Though he has not gone to another club just yet. 
  • edited January 2020
    Rossman92 said:
    I think he means going to another team but only one where he will play. Just poorly worded.
  • Rossman92 said:
    I think he means going to another team but only one where he will play. Just poorly worded.
    Yeah I'm sure, just wants a reaction, which he's getting
  • J BLOCK said:
    Lad I work with plays for Dorking, where Connors two brother play. Says that Connor doesn’t want to leave but Two other teams in the champ are going to be paying 100% of his wages and we’re currently only paying 1/3. He was the same lad that told me Lockyer was signing a few weeks before he did, so no reason to not trust him. 
    What I don’t understand about this though is couple ppl have said this but he is 19 and never played a senior game of football until this season so even at Chelsea can’t be on huge money even if was on 9k a week that’s 3k we’re paying so they lose 6k a week, 24k a month so like 100k or so for remainder of season and I just don’t understand the logic if that’s the reason. If the reason is because they feel the last month he has been struggling he has said something behind close doors for first time he isn’t happy as feeling so exhausted due our midfield lately and Chelsea feel going to a more experienced midfield he can excel ready for next year? I’m gutted though whatever the reasons my poty so far 
    Wages might only be a part of the puzzle. If they've asked him to report for training, they may sit down with him and ask what he wants to do. There are alternatives to Charlton, where do you want to play until the end of the season.
    You don't ask a loan player to report for training with you just to discuss where he fancies playing. They would speak to his agent, or call him in for a meeting one afternoon, or send a rep to one of our games to meet with him.
  • The clause in the loan deal ment he has to be recalled today, or not at all. 

Maybe Chelsea wanted to have a look at him in training maybe even play him in their U23s (are they still in the FA Cup?) then loan him out again.  Maybe even back to us if Connor was happy.

Actually they would be stupid not to recall him because they couldn't change their minds after today. 
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Also, genuine question. Is there not a chance they’re just checking on progress? I know nothing but I would have thought it’s not too uncommon for a player to go back and spend a day or two training with his senior club so they can assess progress.
    Chelsea staff regularly turn up at Sparrows Lane to check on him. This was mentioned in a recent interview or pre match conference.
    I think our chances of keeping him are slim. 
  • Sponsored links:

• J BLOCK said:
    What I don’t understand about this though is couple ppl have said this but he is 19 and never played a senior game of football until this season so even at Chelsea can’t be on huge money even if was on 9k a week that’s 3k we’re paying so they lose 6k a week, 24k a month so like 100k or so for remainder of season and I just don’t understand the logic if that’s the reason. If the reason is because they feel the last month he has been struggling he has said something behind close doors for first time he isn’t happy as feeling so exhausted due our midfield lately and Chelsea feel going to a more experienced midfield he can excel ready for next year? I’m gutted though whatever the reasons my poty so far 
    Wages might only be a part of the puzzle. If they've asked him to report for training, they may sit down with him and ask what he wants to do. There are alternatives to Charlton, where do you want to play until the end of the season.
    You don't ask a loan player to report for training with you just to discuss where he fancies playing. They would speak to his agent, or call him in for a meeting one afternoon, or send a rep to one of our games to meet with him.
    Its called clutching at straws.

From my perspective, there's little point in recalling him just to ship him out to another Championship team
    Well Ben Purrington was recalled from Wimbledon and loaned back out to us last January. Sending him to another Championship club wouldn't be unreasonable. They'll want him to play with the best players and whoever gets him will likely pay a higher fee than us. Also with all of our injuries he's probably played too many minutes and being relied on too much, it's remarkable he hasn't been out injured. 

Well Ben Purrington was recalled from Wimbledon and loaned back out to us last January. Sending him to another Championship club wouldn't be unreasonable. They'll want him to play with the best players and whoever gets him will likely pay a higher fee than us. Also with all of our injuries he's probably played too many minutes and being relied on too much, it's remarkable he hasn't been out injured. 

True, typical short memory of a football fan eh?
  • I hope we refuse to do business with Chelski in future. 
    Disagree completely.

They know how well he's done here and if anything this can only have strengthened our claims to getting players from them in future.

In an ideal world if he doesn't stay, they'll feel bad and give us someone else.
  • We've just lost our best player, to say I am absolutely gutted would be an understatement.
    I am not underplaying Conor's ability because he was fantastic. But when everyone is fit, Cullen is our best and most influential player.

Conor is 100 times better than Cullen.

Edit: ok maybe not 100x, but much better. Offers so much more going forward than Cullen.

Na, not 'much better' at all. 

Cullen can control a game when he plays well. Gallagher is fantastic but he's hundred miles an hour. Cullen has a proper football brain.
    It's all about partnerships, Gallagher and Cullen dovetailed. Gallagher form dipped when he had Morgan, Vennings, Dempsey alongside, no disrespect to any of those lads but I agree Cullen was the brains and young Gallagher the tyro alongside who never stopped running tackling and shooting, a fantastic young prospect but when a poster said he would be England's Captain I thought that was a terrible case of Hyperbole.

I'm on record of saying I hate Chelsea more than Millwall or Palace because of their Vandalism back in the day, But we don't burn our Stamford bridges because they have 100's on loan and we may need another one of their players before this windows done.

• SamE7 said:
    Ha ha, indeed its not, I am willing to eat my share of humble pie here.

Though he has not gone to another club just yet. 
    It's fine, we can both eat our humble pie if he leaves and doesn't go to Swansea