Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Conor Gallagher - Going to Athletico (p81)

Comments

• Chizz said:
    Put yourself in Chelsea's shoes.  You hear reports that he's developed really well at Charlton, so you decide to see for yourself how well and how he copes in training with the Chelsea first team. And you give yourself three options.  1. Having evaluated his progress and seen how well he has improved, you loan him back to Charlton, to complete the twelve months; 2. You see that he has developed, but plateaued, so you look to loan him to a higher-placed Championship club (or even a Premier League club) to see if he can "kick on"; 3. You see that he has exceeded expectations and now has a genuine opportunity to compete for a first team place at Chelsea, so you terminate the loan agreement. 

I can see (1) being a very real possibility.  We have all seen how well he has progressed.   I think (2) is unlikely, because it is predicated on him reaching a plateau - I don't think anyone thinks that's the case.  I think (3) is a possibility, but, realistically, it's too soon for him to compete for a Chelsea first team place. 

Chelsea's choice is probably either 
    • Send him back to Charlton to continue his development under Bowyer and Jackson; or 
    • Send him to somewhere like Swansea to see if he can improve more under his old England u-21 coach Steve Cooper 
    Then they have to decide whether the upheaval of sending a player for three or four months to live in Wales is better for him than for him to continue more "locally".  

I hope they decide to send him back to Charlton for the reasons above; although I feel they might decide there's more of an advantage to send him somewhere "better".  Either way, I think we'll cope: the best teams (and that's what we should be aiming to be) develop their own players. So it might be time for someone to step into his shoes.  
    Why is it predicted?

Also, is he likely to progress if the is playing in a midfield of U21 players recalled from non League clubs or with players challenging for promotion to the PL? Tomori, Wilson and Mount were all with Derby under Lampard last season who eventually finished 7th (where Swansea are now) and are all this season regularly playing in the PL. Perhaps that is what Chelsea and the lad himself want him to be doing next season. 

As for the "upheaval" that is exactly what professional sportsmen have to put themselves through and it is very much part of the learning curve. And in any case he already knows and has played with regularly at least two of Swansea's players.
  • edited January 2020
    Chelski: So Conor you seem to have developed well at Charlton much faster than we thought. What do you attribute that to?

Conor: probably mostly working with Bowyer in truth boss.

Chelski: ok remind me has he signed a new contract yet?

Conor: no but both sides apparently want a deal

Chelski: tell you what why don’t you come back to us for a bit while we assess your progress and see if that pushes that Mattty Southall to sign up me mate Bows and offer us a bit more money to get you back. Otherwise you’ll have to go down to the sheep shaggers.

Still the mumbles is quite pretty in the spring I’ve heard. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    The clause in the loan deal ment he has to be recalled today, or not at all. 

Maybe Chelsea wanted to have a look at him in training maybe even play him in their U23s (are they still in the FA Cup?) then loan him out again.  Maybe even back to us if Connor was happy.

Actually they would be stupid not to recall him because they couldn't change their minds after today. 
    Well they cant play him in their First Team

If he does that then the choice is he stays at Chelsea or returns to us
  • Chizz said:
    Put yourself in Chelsea's shoes.  You hear reports that he's developed really well at Charlton, so you decide to see for yourself how well and how he copes in training with the Chelsea first team. And you give yourself three options.  1. Having evaluated his progress and seen how well he has improved, you loan him back to Charlton, to complete the twelve months; 2. You see that he has developed, but plateaued, so you look to loan him to a higher-placed Championship club (or even a Premier League club) to see if he can "kick on"; 3. You see that he has exceeded expectations and now has a genuine opportunity to compete for a first team place at Chelsea, so you terminate the loan agreement. 

I can see (1) being a very real possibility.  We have all seen how well he has progressed.   I think (2) is unlikely, because it is predicated on him reaching a plateau - I don't think anyone thinks that's the case.  I think (3) is a possibility, but, realistically, it's too soon for him to compete for a Chelsea first team place. 

• Send him back to Charlton to continue his development under Bowyer and Jackson; or 
    • Send him to somewhere like Swansea to see if he can improve more under his old England u-21 coach Steve Cooper 
    Then they have to decide whether the upheaval of sending a player for three or four months to live in Wales is better for him than for him to continue more "locally".  

I hope they decide to send him back to Charlton for the reasons above; although I feel they might decide there's more of an advantage to send him somewhere "better".  Either way, I think we'll cope: the best teams (and that's what we should be aiming to be) develop their own players. So it might be time for someone to step into his shoes.  
    Why is it predicted?

Also, is he likely to progress if the is playing in a midfield of U21 players recalled from non League clubs or with players challenging for promotion to the PL? Tomori, Wilson and Mount were all with Derby under Lampard last season who eventually finished 7th (where Swansea are now) and are all this season regularly playing in the PL. Perhaps that is what Chelsea and the lad himself want him to be doing next season. 

As for the "upheaval" that is exactly what professional sportsmen have to put themselves through and it is very much part of the learning curve. And in any case he already knows and has played with regularly at least two of Swansea's players.
    Predicated, not predicted. 
  • Chelski: So Conor you seem to have developed well at Charlton much faster than we thought. What do you attribute that to?

Chelski: tell you what why don’t you come back to us for a bit while we assess your progress and see how that pushes that Mattt Southall to sign up me mate Bows and offer is a bit more money to get you back. Otherwise you’ll have to go down to the sheep’s Hager’s. Still the mumbles is quite pretty in the spring I’ve heard. 
    That's spooky, AN ! 

I was thinking that maybe Connor is currently in a "holding pattern" at the Chelsea Training Ground awaiting news from SE7 re Bow's situation. 

Weirder things have happened, haven't they ?
  • edited January 2020
    CAFCTrev said:
    We really need to pin down some kind of "no-recall" clause in future season long loan deals. 
    Or just stop loaning players.
    This.
    Start being a proper run football club and only use loans for players to make sure you have 18 strong squad. Yes good enough to start but your star players ? Great to have Gallagher but it was always 50/50 if he saw the season out. Chelsea's moved him on because unlike in October when he was on the top of his games, when he had lesser players around him because of injuries, Chelsea decided he needed to be moved on, which is why they had a recall. 
    Sad but true. If Williams, Cullen, Taylor had stayed fit we would be about 8 or 9th and in the mix. Frank Lampard saw the situation and listened to the scout and did what's right for Chelsea.
    Shocking for Cafc but proof  that permanent transfers are needed to move forward.
    Cullen would be a fantastic statement by ESI But I'm not sure if it fits their "model" at present.

I suggest it should, Taylor and Cullen deserve to be the biggest earners. Football isn't egalitarian and never will be.

Good luck Connor, I will leave it too the morons to boo you if it's another champ club we haven't played yet. Hopefully it's Swansea so we don't find out.

• One way of looking at it is he was here because of Roland’s underinvestment. While it’s going to take a while to get the right team in place on permanent contracts his loan was a symbol of the past regime. I just hope we don’t end up getting relegated in the process. It’s not been a great window so far, but Gallen and Bowyer have a record of pulling it out the bag.
  • Chelski: So Conor you seem to have developed well at Charlton much faster than we thought. What do you attribute that to?

Chelski: tell you what why don’t you come back to us for a bit while we assess your progress and see how that pushes that Mattt Southall to sign up me mate Bows and offer is a bit more money to get you back. Otherwise you’ll have to go down to the sheep’s Hager’s. Still the mumbles is quite pretty in the spring I’ve heard. 
    That's spooky, AN ! 

I was thinking that maybe Connor is currently in a "holding pattern" at the Chelsea Training Ground awaiting news from SE7 re Bow's situation. 

What is the "Tingleometer" telling you Fanny?
  • Sponsored links:

• Always a risk when you have to rely on loan deals. Let's get some permanent replacements in the door and we won't have to be worrying about losing our best players halfway through a season at the drop of a hat.

Time away from the Prem had softened my opinion on Chelsea but this news.......... ffs
  • I think Chelsea caring about Bowyers contract situation when Gallagher is never going to be here past it’s expiry is extremely wishful thinking. Maybe I’ll be proven wrong but can’t see it at all. 
    Fair enough but I don't know how to post a "tongue in cheek" emoji.
  • Chizz said:

I just have.

I've trodden in as much dog, cow, and horse shit as I could find.

Chelsea can now have their shoes back.
    Make sure you piss in them before you hand them over.
  • Chizz said:

I just have.

I've trodden in as much dog, cow, and horse shit as I could find.

Chelsea can now have their shoes back.
    PMSL

That's spooky, AN ! 

TBH, Mike, it's rather damp here at the minute.....

...so draw your own conclusions.

:-(
    So many answers to that one but being a gentleman...............I will leave it there.   ;)
  • edited January 2020
    Chelski: So Conor you seem to have developed well at Charlton much faster than we thought. What do you attribute that to?

That's spooky, AN ! 

TBH, Mike, it's rather damp here at the minute.....

...so draw your own conclusions.

:-(
    So many answers to that one but being a gentleman...............I will leave it there.   ;)
    Ah, thanks.

Mission accomplished. 

:-)
  • Chizz said:

Why is it predicted?

Predicated, not predicted. 
    Indeed.
    I'm not he brightest, but I think what Chizz is trying to say is that Conor is on his way to Swansea via Table Mountain  ;)
  • edited January 2020
  • Sponsored links:

• Valley11 said:
    Quite surprised at some of the Chelsea love-in on here. They loaned him for the season, not until Jan. And according to Gallen last week, they were happy so no warning of a recall. 
    Would be good to know all the facts but to me it’s shitty pulling the rug and recalling a player they leant to us for a season. 
    It’s highly unlikely that he’ll break into their first team between now and May so doffing our caps and thanking them feels obsequious in the extreme.
    Don’t they have a recall clause in the agreement which allows them to bring him back in January if they do wish?
  • Look on the bright side... Dont have to worry about him reaching 10-bookings and getting a two match ban now
    That's my boy FA, we have to look for a positive. 
    Shame Ruben Loftus-Cheek wasn't a further month advanced on his come back as 4 months in the Championship could have benefitted both him and Cafc.
  • se9addick said:
    Valley11 said:
    Quite surprised at some of the Chelsea love-in on here. They loaned him for the season, not until Jan. And according to Gallen last week, they were happy so no warning of a recall. 
    Would be good to know all the facts but to me it’s shitty pulling the rug and recalling a player they leant to us for a season. 
    It’s highly unlikely that he’ll break into their first team between now and May so doffing our caps and thanking them feels obsequious in the extreme.
    Don’t they have a recall clause in the agreement which allows them to bring him back in January if they do wish?
    Yes. But as I say, Gallen said, and Bowyer has previously, that Chelsea were happy. 
  • Um yeah otherwise they couldn’t do it. It’s just unfortunate timing. Or fortunate, let’s see. 
  • Valley11 said:
    se9addick said:
    Valley11 said:
    Yes. But as I say, Gallen said, and Bowyer has previously, that Chelsea were happy. 
    Just because your are happy doesn’t mean you couldn’t be happier...
  • Look on the bright side... Dont have to worry about him reaching 10-bookings and getting a two match ban now
    That's my boy FA, we have to look for a positive. 
    Shame Ruben Loftus-Cheek wasn't a further month advanced on his come back as 4 months in the Championship could have benefitted both him and Cafc.
    When has that stopped us?
  • edited January 2020
    Salad said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Lad I work with plays for Dorking, where Connors two brother play. Says that Connor doesn’t want to leave but Two other teams in the champ are going to be paying 100% of his wages and we’re currently only paying 1/3. He was the same lad that told me Lockyer was signing a few weeks before he did, so no reason to not trust him. 
    sounds like a good explanation
    So how much is the difference  ??  What would Gallagher be on..say, 10k pw....£20k tops. Split the difference & say £15k. So 2/3rds is £10k. Until May that's approx 20 weeks. So we are talking £200k.....£250k max.

So are you telling me Chelsea are that broke they need an extra £250k....?? Yeh right.

• LenGlover said:
    If Conor stays after January I will give £20 to the Upbeats if those giving me LOLs for saying our season is f***** will do the same if he goes since they seem so confident he won't.
    Who is coughing up then?
  • edited January 2020
    Valley11 said:
    Agree, whatever the reason for them recalling him now, it's piss poor of Chelsea to send him to us on a season loan, repeatedly report how pleased they are with his development here which has exceeded all expectations, but then pull the rug from us with no warning at all when they know how integral he is to our starting 11.

Given that Chelsea have supposedly been in regular touch with our staff over the last few months, you'd think they'd at least out of courtesy have warned us that they were considering recalling him in January. Gallen was quoted as recently as last Thursday afternoon that Chelsea had given no indication that Conor wouldn't be here for the full season...!
  • Hope Bow has thrown some crockery around when he was told. Not sure it would help but knowing he was pissed a bit would help me feel better.