Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Conor Gallagher - Going to Athletico (p81)

Comments

• Salad said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Lad I work with plays for Dorking, where Connors two brother play. Says that Connor doesn’t want to leave but Two other teams in the champ are going to be paying 100% of his wages and we’re currently only paying 1/3. He was the same lad that told me Lockyer was signing a few weeks before he did, so no reason to not trust him. 
    sounds like a good explanation
    So how much is the difference  ??  What would Gallagher be on..say, 10k pw....£20k tops. Split the difference & say £15k. So 2/3rds is £10k. Until May that's approx 20 weeks. So we are talking £200k.....£250k max.

So are you telling me Chelsea are that broke they need an extra £250k....?? Yeh right.

But when you loan out 186 players it all adds up! 
  • The one glimmer of hope that I'm clinging on to, is the fact that neither Charlton or Chelsea have formally announced anything yet.
  • edited January 2020
    Disappointing news, kids going to be a top player, and for us it's another midfielder gone which is our weakest position right now due to injuries 
  • Do we know that he hasn't been recalled for assessment of a niggle... Just says assessment.
  • I would like to think that Gallagher has some say in where he goes now. Ie, if he is happy here why not say that. 

I get the feeling that Chelsea werent too happy with the way he was "forced" to play over xmas after he got a knock. He did have the weekend of the FA Cup off, but played against Derby & Swansea after getting a heavy knock against Bristol City on boxing day. Not been the same player since then ( and probably not since Millwall).

Will be a big loss but we just have to get on with it. Fucking hate Chelsea. Always screw us over. Havent forgotten the beach incident......grrr.
  • Even Chelsea fans are saying its stupid to recall him. The thought that a couple of premiership clubs want to loan him might have turned the lads head and wants to give it a crack.
  • Chizz said:
    Put yourself in Chelsea's shoes.  You hear reports that he's developed really well at Charlton, so you decide to see for yourself how well and how he copes in training with the Chelsea first team. And you give yourself three options.  1. Having evaluated his progress and seen how well he has improved, you loan him back to Charlton, to complete the twelve months; 2. You see that he has developed, but plateaued, so you look to loan him to a higher-placed Championship club (or even a Premier League club) to see if he can "kick on"; 3. You see that he has exceeded expectations and now has a genuine opportunity to compete for a first team place at Chelsea, so you terminate the loan agreement. 

I can see (1) being a very real possibility.  We have all seen how well he has progressed.   I think (2) is unlikely, because it is predicated on him reaching a plateau - I don't think anyone thinks that's the case.  I think (3) is a possibility, but, realistically, it's too soon for him to compete for a Chelsea first team place. 

Chelsea's choice is probably either 
    • Send him back to Charlton to continue his development under Bowyer and Jackson; or 
    • Send him to somewhere like Swansea to see if he can improve more under his old England u-21 coach Steve Cooper 
    Then they have to decide whether the upheaval of sending a player for three or four months to live in Wales is better for him than for him to continue more "locally".  

I hope they decide to send him back to Charlton for the reasons above; although I feel they might decide there's more of an advantage to send him somewhere "better".  Either way, I think we'll cope: the best teams (and that's what we should be aiming to be) develop their own players. So it might be time for someone to step into his shoes.  
    Why is it predicted?

Also, is he likely to progress if the is playing in a midfield of U21 players recalled from non League clubs or with players challenging for promotion to the PL? Tomori, Wilson and Mount were all with Derby under Lampard last season who eventually finished 7th (where Swansea are now) and are all this season regularly playing in the PL. Perhaps that is what Chelsea and the lad himself want him to be doing next season. 

As for the "upheaval" that is exactly what professional sportsmen have to put themselves through and it is very much part of the learning curve. And in any case he already knows and has played with regularly at least two of Swansea's players.
    Predicated.  Not predicted. 
  • Look on the bright side... Dont have to worry about him reaching 10-bookings and getting a two match ban now
    That's my boy FA, we have to look for a positive. 
    Shame Ruben Loftus-Cheek wasn't a further month advanced on his come back as 4 months in the Championship could have benefitted both him and Cafc.
    When has that stopped us?
    I like to believe since Duchatelet went back to his bunker to count his Euro's when ESI offered 50 million in cash and now we are on the first steps to bringing in players who don't breath through their arse in 20 minutes.
  • There should be a rule that you can only loan out 5-10 players at a time similar to how many you can loan in. Also squad maximums should be in place. If a player reaches a certain age but isn’t in your first team squad or one of your loaned out players then you should be have to release or sell them in the next window. Would put a stop to the stockpiling of players. Will never happen though because the FA don’t give a fuck about anything outside of their precious premier league. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I think Chelsea caring about Bowyers contract situation when Gallagher is never going to be here past it’s expiry is extremely wishful thinking. Maybe I’ll be proven wrong but can’t see it at all. 
    Fair enough but I don't know how to post a "tongue in cheek" emoji.
    put tongue-in-cheek in your favourite search engine and I'm sure you'll get some pictures you can add to your post in place of an emoji  ;)
  • edited January 2020
    Apparently a Wall mate of mine reckons that if Chelsea do recall Conor that they are going to make an offer for him until the end of the season as they are pushing for the 'playoffs' 
    Never laughed so much in my life 😂😂
    When you say mate, did you mean employee?
    No an actual mate unfortunately 
  • I think Chelsea caring about Bowyers contract situation when Gallagher is never going to be here past it’s expiry is extremely wishful thinking. Maybe I’ll be proven wrong but can’t see it at all. 
    Fair enough but I don't know how to post a "tongue in cheek" emoji.
    put tongue-in-cheek in your favourite search engine and I'm sure you'll get some pictures you can add to your post in place of an emoji  ;)

• I don't know why some fans think Chelsea recalled Gallagher with no warning.
    Ok they might have.
    What is also possible is they told us a couple of weeks ago that it was being considered.
    I definitely thought Bowyer and Gallen saying we hadn't had a recall call from them as yet, wasn't totally convincing.
    It was always only a phone call away.
    Ok they might have.
    What is also possible is they told us a couple of weeks ago that it was being considered.
    I definitely thought Bowyer and Gallen saying we hadn't had a recall call from them as yet, wasn't totally convincing.
    Nope. Gallen said he’d read all the reports of a recall but Chelsea were happy. 
    As @WhenIwasLittleBoy says; could well be that Connor fancied a crack at the Premiership with Norwich/Burnley. 
    We don’t know the full picture but something is off. 

• edited January 2020
    Valley11 said:
    I don't know why some fans think Chelsea recalled Gallagher with no warning.
    Ok they might have.
    As @WhenIwasLittleBoy says; could well be that Connor fancied a crack at the Premiership with Norwich/Burnley. 

Yes and we also said they can recall him in January but we hadn't had a phone call yet.
    The possibility was definitely there, because we made a point of saying it on more than one occasion.

I hate Chelsea more than most, but Gallagher's their player and it's up to them.
    Personally, I believe we knew it was a possibility otherwise we would have said we have been given an 100% assurance, but we never did.
  • Although Chelsea are entitled to do what they've done it's pretty shoddy behaviour from them and leaves a nasty taste in the mouth. Just what they think it achieves sending him out on loan again possibly even to another Championship club ,when he was playing regularly, developing and doing well with us is beyond me.
  • philcafc said:
    Although Chelsea are entitled to do what they've done it's pretty shoddy behaviour from them and leaves a nasty taste in the mouth. Just what they think it achieves sending him out on loan again possibly even to another Championship club ,when he was playing regularly, developing and doing well with us is beyond me.
    He’s playing with the Charlton U23s and a 35 yr old journeyman alongside him in midfield. It’s not nice but fact remains he has proven he can compliment better players 
  • Valley11 said:
    Ok they might have.

Yes and we also said they can recall him in January but we hadn't had a phone call yet.
    The possibility was definitely there, because we made a point of saying it on more than one occasion.
    Hmmm. I don’t remember anyone saying ‘we hadn’t had a phone call yet’?

Bowyer said CG would be getting a well earned rest as players came back from injury, suggesting he was planning for Gallagher to be part of his plans. 

• Sponsored links:

Ok they might have.
    I disagree - direct quote from Gallen literally last Thursday pm was:

'It's a season-long loan. Chelsea are very pleased with his progress and we want to keep him. There is a recall, but they have not indicated that they will do that. As far as we're concerned, he'll be staying with us.'

He's made himself very clear, and confirms that if Chelsea haven't mentioned any possibility of him being recalled before Thurs/Fri last week at the earliest. The only reason he's even mentioned the recall option is because he's responding directly to a journalist who has asked him about Conor staying for the remainder of the season
  • edited January 2020
    Valley11 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Ok they might have.

Hmmm. I don’t remember anyone saying ‘we hadn’t had a phone call yet’?

Bowyer said CG would be getting a well earned rest as players came back from injury, suggesting he was planning for Gallagher to be part of his plans. 

I thought It was said a couple of times.
    Sage also made a similar comment as me and he's never/rarely wrong.
  • Salad said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Lad I work with plays for Dorking, where Connors two brother play. Says that Connor doesn’t want to leave but Two other teams in the champ are going to be paying 100% of his wages and we’re currently only paying 1/3. He was the same lad that told me Lockyer was signing a few weeks before he did, so no reason to not trust him. 
    sounds like a good explanation
    So how much is the difference  ??  What would Gallagher be on..say, 10k pw....£20k tops. Split the difference & say £15k. So 2/3rds is £10k. Until May that's approx 20 weeks. So we are talking £200k.....£250k max.

So are you telling me Chelsea are that broke they need an extra £250k....?? Yeh right.

I am given to understand they too have pot hole issues in the main car park.....I reckon that sum would easily cover the repair costs.
    Costs which have yet to be given the go ahead as they don’t fall within the stadium maintenance budget.
    Aaaah shame........We know the feeling.
  • @NLA will be on here soon to tell all to "chill you Pussies" and I think he's right on this occasion. Loan players get recalled, we did it ourselves. Matt Southall desperately needs Lee Bowyer to sign this contract or else not only is his honeymoon over but a meeting with a divorce mediator will be arranged.
    By February, we will know what we have to be competitive in this division. A silver wedding or a quickie divorse. Matt Southall you need to use all your salesman skills to make sure we are stronger and give Steve Gallen the green light to bring in quality.
    And relax.
  • I'm clinging onto the lack of official news...
  • edited January 2020
    Sage said:
    The way Gallen answered the question about Conor in the press conference didn’t sit right with me. Why even mention about a recall clause?

I really hope this isn’t true because what a player he is and has been for us. He has to stay. 
    Here you go.

Ok, I've listened to the press conference (32.30), when Gallen & Bowyer discuss Gallagher.
    I'll admit that their words do suggest he's staying as others have said above.

However, I just got the feeling that they looked quite sad when discussing Connor and that their words were almost a plea to Chelsea not to take him back. I think they suspected he was going back.

I admit that is just my opinion.
    Take a look, did they look really happy he was staying and come across all positive ?
    Alternatively, did they seem nervous and downbeat ?

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5e17642ec0328/watch-matt-southalls-first-press-conference-as-charlton-chairman
  • edited January 2020
    @NLA will be on here soon to tell all to "chill you Pussies" and I think he's right on this occasion. Loan players get recalled, we did it ourselves. Matt Southall desperately needs Lee Bowyer to sign this contract or else not only is his honeymoon over but a meeting with a divorce mediator will be arranged.
    By February, we will know what we have to be competitive in this division. A silver wedding or a quickie divorse. Matt Southall you need to use all your salesman skills to make sure we are stronger and give Steve Gallen the green light to bring in quality.
    And relax.
    big difference. we did it because we needed them to play. We didn't recall Doughty from Bromley and loan him to Dartford. It's non sensical to recall Gallagher and loan him to Swansea or Derby. If it's to a PL side then fair enough.
    I hate Chelsea and you are right about our loan players BUT Conor came to Cafc to progress his Career which it did but the injury crisis has stopped his progress because of the players around him since mid November. Chelsea interests are Gallagher's not Cafc. We can Hate Chelsea but our management can't afford too. Gallen should be checking if any of their 100 loanees or talented young players can replace him to the end of season.
  • Nadou said:
    Chelsea loaned him to us so that he could learn. Personally I think that with the kind of players he's been playing with lately he has stopped learning.
    So it was supposed to be a season-long learn deal?