Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Conor Gallagher - Going to Athletico (p81)

Comments

• edited January 2020
    He'll be playing for Ebbsfleet by 2023
  • Chizz said:
    Put yourself in Chelsea's shoes.  You hear reports that he's developed really well at Charlton, so you decide to see for yourself how well and how he copes in training with the Chelsea first team. And you give yourself three options.  1. Having evaluated his progress and seen how well he has improved, you loan him back to Charlton, to complete the twelve months; 2. You see that he has developed, but plateaued, so you look to loan him to a higher-placed Championship club (or even a Premier League club) to see if he can "kick on"; 3. You see that he has exceeded expectations and now has a genuine opportunity to compete for a first team place at Chelsea, so you terminate the loan agreement. 

I can see (1) being a very real possibility.  We have all seen how well he has progressed.   I think (2) is unlikely, because it is predicated on him reaching a plateau - I don't think anyone thinks that's the case.  I think (3) is a possibility, but, realistically, it's too soon for him to compete for a Chelsea first team place. 

Chelsea's choice is probably either 
    • Send him back to Charlton to continue his development under Bowyer and Jackson; or 
    • Send him to somewhere like Swansea to see if he can improve more under his old England u-21 coach Steve Cooper 
    Then they have to decide whether the upheaval of sending a player for three or four months to live in Wales is better for him than for him to continue more "locally".  

I hope they decide to send him back to Charlton for the reasons above; although I feel they might decide there's more of an advantage to send him somewhere "better".  Either way, I think we'll cope: the best teams (and that's what we should be aiming to be) develop their own players. So it might be time for someone to step into his shoes.  
    Chelsea boots
  • shuffs67 said:
    Just thinking outside the box but I wonder if Alfie Dougherty could play in Connor Gallaghers position definitely has the energy to play there
    Albie Morgan?
  • shuffs67 said:
    Just thinking outside the box but I wonder if Alfie Dougherty could play in Connor Gallaghers position definitely has the energy to play there
    Albie Morgan?
    Arthur Daley?
  • I think it's just the unexpectedness of this which is making it seem so much worse. I had resigned myself to the possibility of losing Lyle this window and could understand the logic to it. This. Dont get the logic and really came out of the blue when the rumours suddenly started appearing last night.
  • He'll be playing for Ebbsfleet by 2023
    I think you mean, with his Prem superstar wages ........ he'll be paying for Ebbsfleet in 2023?

• Well. Shit.

All we can hope now is that we immediately go into overdrive looking for his replacment and spend to get out of this hole, because right now we are absolutely turtled if we don't do something. We're actually on for a midfield of Pratley and some children next game.
  • edited January 2020
    At the w/e I managed to get my 7 year old to stop asking why Aribo was not in the team and he was happily singing the Gallagher song...  His next fav is Taylor.....

Shite being a young fan nowadays, at least my heros heros growing up stayed around a few years.

As for Conor, I can't believe Chelsea would have recalled him against his wishes, I am assuming this is his decision and I find that disappointing if true.
  • Sponsored links:

• It’s official.
    I’m old.
    Just can’t get upset about loan players going.
    Thanks for everything Conor, all the best to ye.
  • Well. Shit.

All we can hope now is that we immediately go into overdrive looking for his replacment and spend to get out of this hole, because right now we are absolutely turtled if we don't do something. We're actually on for a midfield of Pratley and some children next game.
    Although you forgot to mention, that Gallagher at 19 is a 'child' himself ....? :smile:

• Surprised to see Bowyer saying he didn’t see it coming. Feel like it would have been professional for Lampard to give him a call and let bowyer know what was about to happen. 
  • Is this going to be the biggest turnaround in expectations for a January window ever?
  • Typical Charlton window so far...
  • Surprised to see Bowyer saying he didn’t see it coming. Feel like it would have been professional for Lampard to give him a call and let bowyer know what was about to happen. 
    Yeah, like 2 weeks ago.

• Sponsored links:

• What is it about us, midfielders, and the January transfer window?.

• shuffs67 said:
    Albie Morgan?
    Arthur Daley?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNF5JZUEsYg
  • Why isn't Dry January Dry February. This is gonna be tough if players keep leaving just when they've become special. I never seem to have heard of the new ones that come in!

• As Golfie Jnr just said......you get resigned to losing your own players in January, but you'd think you'd be safe with loan players ffs...!!
  • Perhaps with our minted new ownership Chelski see us as a threat !
  • I think it's just the unexpectedness of this which is making it seem so much worse. I had resigned myself to the possibility of losing Lyle this window and could understand the logic to it. This. Dont get the logic and really came out of the blue when the rumours suddenly started appearing last night.
    It was unexpected and he was the player i was confident of keeping for the season of all of our loans. Feels a bit like a kick in the head just whilst your getting up off the floor.
    Hope i am not wrong, but i think we will keep Taylor till end of the season at least. 
    Have to trust in SG and LB now to identify a couple of decent players to help keep us up and hope the chairman and owner backs them
  • Realistically how much do we need to spend to replace Gallagher, that wasn't anticipated in the transfer budget. I guess the owners have to reassess the window with this gaping hole. 
  • He was waving goodbye.