Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Conor Gallagher - Going to Athletico (p81)

Comments

• We've just lost our best player, to say I am absolutely gutted would be an understatement.
    I am not underplaying Conor's ability because he was fantastic. But when everyone is fit, Cullen is our best and most influential player.

Conor is 100 times better than Cullen.

Edit: ok maybe not 100x, but much better. Offers so much more going forward than Cullen.

As they kind of play different positions and have different roles within the midfield, I do not feel it is a fair metric to compare them by. I could simple counter your point by arguing that Cullen offers so much more breaking up play, and linking the defense into attack. However I would also argue in the games that Cullen has been asked to play further up the pitch, Reading away in the second half for instance, he has actually proved himself to be very good in a more attacking role.

Where as Gallagher has an absolute engine on him, and that innate ability to get himself into scoring positions, as well as being, I would say underrated, with the ball at his feet. I would first argue that Cullen has better positioning the Conor, is a better dribbler than Conor, and defiantly has better a better range of passing then him as well. I could go into more detail on my thoughts about why he is, but I dont want to bore myself and everyone else ha ha.    
  • Yeah. We're the small fish. It happens. Now let's sign Maddison from a smaller one
  • When it's...oh you know the rest
  • Talal said:
    If he goes to a premier league club I guess I'd be okay with it. Another championship club and it'll leave a bad taste. 
    Premier league will soften the blow...unless he ends up at Palace 
  • Laddick01 said:
    He’s obviously a great player but really hasn’t been a standout recently. 

Imagine it’s a mixture of Chelsea wanting him to play for a better side and trying to protect him from injury. 

We will miss him but we can move on.
    But we will be a better side once the injured are sorted & also the signings we are “supposed” to be signing,would love it tho,if we become that one of the top championship teams before season ends & the team he goes to drops like a stone...
  • Talal said:

Sky sports saying he has been recalled for assessment by chelsea and it is not yet confirmed that his loan deal with us is finished - his future could be decided today. 
    My eyesight is shit but I wouldn't want to identify that picture as him in a line out and send him down 
    He's the one at the front. 
    Looks more like Jimmy Bullard to me?
  • We really need to pin down some kind of "no-recall" clause in future season long loan deals. 
  • Sponsored links:

• When it's...oh you know the rest
    WIOSSNLFATS

(when it’s on sky sports news live for all to see)
  • CAFCTrev said:
    We really need to pin down some kind of "no-recall" clause in future season long loan deals. 
    We have all of the current Chelsea first team squad on "no-recall" clauses.  The problem is, those clauses come with an attached "no loan" clause too.
  • Shit haircut... Weird jaw... He can do one... 
  • CAFCTrev said:
    We really need to pin down some kind of "no-recall" clause in future season long loan deals. 
    In which case the better players at the PL clubs will go to those clubs that are prepared to accept the clause. We simply won't get a Gallagher for half a season let alone a full one
  • Interesting that he's training at Chelsea and there's been no announcement yet from either club. I reckon at this point the loan is still on, they're just having a look at him and seeing how he's developed. There's no doubt that he has other, higher-placed options available to him, but it could be that they sit down with him, see how much he's developed and how he's now playing at a higher standard than he was when he left. They might decide that he should be given the option of playing with a team with a bit more about them, or they may see that he's learning a lot under Bowyer, including working with a bit of adversity on the pitch, and decide that his development in going very well at Charlton and send him back to us. If he trains too well they might even keep him to be around the squad. It could all change but at the moment it feels a bit less like 'Conor Gallagher has been recalled from his loan' and more like 'Conor Gallagher has been told to report to Chelsea training for assessment' and the story has switched around a bit when it's got to journalists. That's what I'm holding onto anyway. It's not over yet.
    I think thats probably a fair assessment of the situation. Conor may go back, Chelsea say 'well Norwich, Derby and Swansea want you for the rest of the season'...and he then has a choice to make. He may turn around and say no i wanna stay at Charlton, which although is unlikely considering our shit luck but could still happen.
    I can't see why he would choose the upheaval of Derby or Swansea over us for 5 months. A PL side like Norwich would be different
  • CAFCTrev said:
    Or just stop loaning players.
  • Sorry to see him go - one of the best players I’ve seen at Charlton. Bowyer and Gallen will have there work cut out to replace him. I just hope that Gallagher goes to a club where he can step up his development - EG not Burnley. 
  • Sponsored links:

• J BLOCK said:
    Lad I work with plays for Dorking, where Connors two brother play. Says that Connor doesn’t want to leave but Two other teams in the champ are going to be paying 100% of his wages and we’re currently only paying 1/3. He was the same lad that told me Lockyer was signing a few weeks before he did, so no reason to not trust him. 
    Couldn't we just match those wages now? 
  • Any chance that Chelsea would do the right thing and loan us a replacement? Who is this other midfielder that they are hawking around for a loan?

Also, regarding Spurs's Jack Clarke going to QPR, wouldn't we be a better option for him?
  • If this is it, I hope he’s returned his Charlton training kit...
  • J BLOCK said:
    Lad I work with plays for Dorking, where Connors two brother play. Says that Connor doesn’t want to leave but Two other teams in the champ are going to be paying 100% of his wages and we’re currently only paying 1/3. He was the same lad that told me Lockyer was signing a few weeks before he did, so no reason to not trust him. 
    sounds like a good explanation
  • We've just lost our best player, to say I am absolutely gutted would be an understatement.
    I am not underplaying Conor's ability because he was fantastic. But when everyone is fit, Cullen is our best and most influential player.

Conor is 100 times better than Cullen.

Edit: ok maybe not 100x, but much better. Offers so much more going forward than Cullen.

Na, not 'much better' at all. 

Cullen can control a game when he plays well. Gallagher is fantastic but he's hundred miles an hour. Cullen has a proper football brain.
    I don't think I ever would have thought of comparing Gallagher and Cullen, same as I wouldn't think of comparing Williams and Cullen. But put those three in a midfield four or diamond with say Pratley or Field and we saw what a good combination that could be in the first few games of the season.
  • I don’t buy in to the wages thing - not like Chelsea need the money is it? 
  • J BLOCK said:
    What I don’t understand about this though is couple ppl have said this but he is 19 and never played a senior game of football until this season so even at Chelsea can’t be on huge money even if was on 9k a week that’s 3k we’re paying so they lose 6k a week, 24k a month so like 100k or so for remainder of season and I just don’t understand the logic if that’s the reason. If the reason is because they feel the last month he has been struggling he has said something behind close doors for first time he isn’t happy as feeling so exhausted due our midfield lately and Chelsea feel going to a more experienced midfield he can excel ready for next year? I’m gutted though whatever the reasons my poty so far 
  • CAFCTrev said:
    In which case the better players at the PL clubs will go to those clubs that are prepared to accept the clause. We simply won't get a Gallagher for half a season let alone a full one
    You would have to include the caveat that they could recall the player if they have an injury crisis, but if they are just swapping your club for another then that wont fly. 

If more clubs adopted this way of loaning then the PL clubs would have to just accept it, or they just wont ever get loaned out. 
  • I have it on good authority the real reason for Connor leaving is that fkin She's Electric song
  • Any chance that Chelsea would do the right thing and loan us a replacement? Who is this other midfielder that they are hawking around for a loan?

Also, regarding Spurs's Jack Clarke going to QPR, wouldn't we be a better option for him?
    Not sure I would want to anymore business with them.  I think think the player they are trying to loan out is Billy Gilmour. 

Clarke would be a decent signing - but we would no doubt see him injured 2 games in to his loan spell.