Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reading v Charlton | Sat 31 Aug 2019 | 3pm KO | POST MATCH Thread

Comments

• Options
    At the game we were superb....they shaded first half and we were dominant second half.

Only spoiled for me for those who effing stand up for no reason...YES YOU IN block 27 row T seats 57 and 58...had to watch the first half on the screen to the right as couldn't see the game despite asking them politely a couple of times to sit down. Had to watch the second half on the TVs on the concourse. Few selfish pricks who spoil it for the majority.

Golfie... To ask your question re empty seats, there were a number if lads who were just drinking on the concourse second half, some didn't know we were winning. 
    The seats were empty all game. We got into the ground around 2.30pm & no one filled up any if the seats around us from that point onwards. I was expecting 2 or 3 groups to be arriving close to kick off as I expected them to be late or drinking outside.....but nothing.

As for the standing issue. I was a bit amazed that everyone around us was prepared to stand all game. I'm not to fussed either way but usually would prefer to sit.....but what with the rain in the first half it was good to be able to turn around at times & shield myself from the elements. In your shoes I would be mightily pissed off though. Unfortunately it does seem like the norm to stand all through the game even when there is no need (like yesterday)
    Indeed mate.. Sadly we do have some pricks that follow the club especially away from home... I am all for shouting and singing and getting caught up in the match.... These people (30 odd year old with a beard and his teenage daughter)  stood up but didn't need to as the people in front of them were all sat down.... 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    RedChaser said:
    EE Aye, EE Aye, EE Aye' Oh , up the football league we go , when we win promotion, this is what we'll sing, we are Charlton, we are Charlton, Bowyer is our KING! 
    The first time I sung that, it was "...Saunders is our KING!" :smile:

Think it was actualy Saunders is the King, Saunders is the king ee ay adio Saunders is the king (Sorry to nit pick:-) )
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    What a second half. Worth the shitty bus service junk to and from the stadium for that performance.

All players were on their game. But biggest joy was seeing Johnny Williams running amok in the second half. I think Bowyer took him off to avoid one of the Reading players taking a lump out of him, as he was looking absolute Premier League quality. Keep it up Johnny lad. 
    Taxis were available. I thought it was a quid well spent myself. 
    It depends what yer into JS. I despise these  modern stadiums that are miles from the town the club is representing. I've grown up going to away games knowing you can usually get to the station, find a pub and walk to the ground. 

Yesterday that bus took ages before and after the game. The roads were jammed, no bus lane to speed us through. £2 might seem cheap, but you shouldn't have to go through all that crap in the first place just to get to the town's ground. 
    Yeah I get that. 👍
  • Options
    Was at a birthday party in Reading with Charlton fans and a couple of Reading fans. Followed on the Twitter feed. Great result.

One "fan" on the train home was really drunk and using whole strings of bad language. Near Paddington it got personal with a guy trying to mind his own business. Could have turned nasty but his girlfriend intervened and stood between them. Drunk tried to grab the girl. He said he was trying to apologise. Fortunately she just moved away and he was struggling to stand.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    What a second half. Worth the shitty bus service junk to and from the stadium for that performance.

All players were on their game. But biggest joy was seeing Johnny Williams running amok in the second half. I think Bowyer took him off to avoid one of the Reading players taking a lump out of him, as he was looking absolute Premier League quality. Keep it up Johnny lad. 
    It depends what yer into JS. I despise these  modern stadiums that are miles from the town the club is representing. I've grown up going to away games knowing you can usually get to the station, find a pub and walk to the ground. 

Yesterday that bus took ages before and after the game. The roads were jammed, no bus lane to speed us through. £2 might seem cheap, but you shouldn't have to go through all that crap in the first place just to get to the town's ground. 
    My experience was the polar opposite to yours. Parked right opposite the retail centre, barely a 5 minute walk from the ground and an excellent place to get straight onto the M4 after the game.

Planty of eating choices in the retail park and I liked the "tents" outside the ground selling alcohol and food. I thought the whole experience was very positive: but hey, each to their own.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sooo... Where IS the first place you can hear/read Bowyer's comments after a match?
    As soon as Louis Mendez gets his finger out. :smile:

It'll be on the SLP website before the OS:
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/category/sport/charlton-football/

• Options
    PeterGage said:
    JamesSeed said:

My experience was the polar opposite to yours. Parked right opposite the retail centre, barely a 5 minute walk from the ground and an excellent place to get straight onto the M4 after the game.

Planty of eating choices in the retail park and I liked the "tents" outside the ground selling alcohol and food. I thought the whole experience was very positive: but hey, each to their own.
    Totally agree, I had a preuvian lamb shish and 3 pints of drinkable lager.
    Paid a tenner to park, yeah traffic to get out but little fella got photos with players whilst in traffic. 

Easily doable outside the Covered end, better than a brain burger.

Great day yesterday. 
  • Options
    https://www.royals.org/

What they thought 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    RedChaser said:
    EE Aye, EE Aye, EE Aye' Oh , up the football league we go , when we win promotion, this is what we'll sing, we are Charlton, we are Charlton, Bowyer is our KING! 

Think it was actualy Saunders is the King, Saunders is the king ee ay adio Saunders is the king (Sorry to nit pick:-) )
    Well, it was about 1966-67 I guess, I was just a lad ..... and the passing of 50 years and more must have addled my memory, Bob. :smile:

• Options
    At the game we were superb....they shaded first half and we were dominant second half.

Only spoiled for me for those who effing stand up for no reason...YES YOU IN block 27 row T seats 57 and 58...had to watch the first half on the screen to the right as couldn't see the game despite asking them politely a couple of times to sit down. Had to watch the second half on the TVs on the concourse. Few selfish pricks who spoil it for the majority.

Golfie... To ask your question re empty seats, there were a number if lads who were just drinking on the concourse second half, some didn't know we were winning. 
    The seats were empty all game. We got into the ground around 2.30pm & no one filled up any if the seats around us from that point onwards. I was expecting 2 or 3 groups to be arriving close to kick off as I expected them to be late or drinking outside.....but nothing.

As for the standing issue. I was a bit amazed that everyone around us was prepared to stand all game. I'm not to fussed either way but usually would prefer to sit.....but what with the rain in the first half it was good to be able to turn around at times & shield myself from the elements. In your shoes I would be mightily pissed off though. Unfortunately it does seem like the norm to stand all through the game even when there is no need (like yesterday)
    Indeed mate.. Sadly we do have some pricks that follow the club especially away from home... I am all for shouting and singing and getting caught up in the match.... These people (30 odd year old with a beard and his teenage daughter)  stood up but didn't need to as the people in front of them were all sat down.... 
    As much as it annoys you, standing at away games has been and still is a part of football. Creates a much better atmosphere and has is therefore part of the reason why Home fans keep on saying our away support is as good as they’ve seen... 

By the same notion, it’s also part of the reason that our team is doing so well.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Chippycafc said:   

https://www.royals.org/

What they thought 
    Here's a taster:

"But boy did Bowyer suss us out. They dominated the whole of the second half. We were overrun in midfield ....."
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    On the standing and sitting issue... Isn't it just a case of moving forward if you are behind somebody who is standing and you want to sit? I mean... I'm sure standers would happily swap with somebody behind them who wants to sit, surely?

No offense to anybody intended 
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Ah the first 'sit daarn' post of the season, and only 3 away games in! Lovely stuff. 
    Clever post... There was a small boy sat next to me who couldn't see either... He went to see the match not someone's back....selfish picks. 
    When I was 6/7 and couldn't see due to people standing, my dad just got me to stand on my seat. It's football.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    JamesSeed said:

It depends on how you do it. I think Reading is a very good awayday. We drove up to a very nice local pub we found when picking our son up from the Reading festival last week. My wife stayed there with the dog whilst we watched the match. When we got there we had a nice meal and a drink, then 25 minutes before kick off drove to the car park near the ground. It was £10 to park, which could be considered a bit steep, but we got out quickly and it didn't take us long to get back to the pub in the nearby village of Theale. We seemed to be going in the other direction to most leaving the ground. Another drink and off home. And living in Herts it took just over an hour. Of course the result made it more enjoyable than it would have been otherwise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

Ah the first 'sit daarn' post of the season, and only 3 away games in! Lovely stuff. 
    Clever post... There was a small boy sat next to me who couldn't see either... He went to see the match not someone's back....selfish picks. 
    When I was 6/7 and couldn't see due to people standing, my dad just got me to stand on my seat. It's football.
    My 9 year stood on his seat all game and loved it. As did my dad who stood all game with a dodgy knee. If you are attending a sell out away game you have to accept it. If you really don’t like it then go to the others where we don’t sell out, it’s not like it’s every game.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Was at a birthday party in Reading with Charlton fans and a couple of Reading fans. Followed on the Twitter feed. Great result.

——

Are you saying you didn’t go to the game because you were at a party, in Reading, with other Charlton fans???
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

My 9 year stood on his seat all game and loved it. As did my dad. If you are attending a sell out away game you have to accept it. If you really don’t like it then go to the others where we don’t sell out, it’s not like it’s every game.
    I was going to say something boss, but I might get banned.  :smile:

• Options
    PeterGage said:
    JamesSeed said:

Totally agree, I had a preuvian lamb shish and 3 pints of drinkable lager.
    Paid a tenner to park, yeah traffic to get out but little fella got photos with players whilst in traffic. 

Easily doable outside the Covered end, better than a brain burger.

Great day yesterday. 
    I was quite impressed with the stadium, although had been before. We sat in the back row of the East stand (to the right of where the Charlton fans were located) around the centre circle. Great view. The concourse down below was wide so easy to move around, could choice of food etc, plus good choice right outside as others have said. £10 to park in their" Red" car park but right next to the ground.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    RedChaser said:

Well, it was about 1966-67 I guess, I was just a lad ..... and the passing of 50 years and more must have addled my memory, Bob. :smile:

Haha I know mate that's why said sorry to nit pick :-)

I remember stuff like that it's remembering yesterday that's my problem :-(
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

My 9 year stood on his seat all game and loved it. As did my dad who stood all game with a dodgy knee. If you are attending a sell out away game you have to accept it. If you really don’t like it then go to the others where we don’t sell out, it’s not like it’s every game.
    Or sit with the home team supporters. I hate watching football from behind the goal and am happy to forsake the atmosphere of being amongst the away supporters for a good view of the game.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

Everytime I go to a sell out game it seems to bring out the morons, so guess you are right, shame as the idiots win. 
  • Options
    On that subject. The bloke who got carted off like a human stretcher after we scored was embarrassing.