Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reading v Charlton | Sat 31 Aug 2019 | 3pm KO | POST MATCH Thread

Comments

• Options
    Words to the Leko Voulez Vous song please ?
    Jonathan Leko
    Running down the wing, Leko
    Hear the Charlton sing, Leko
    Take us to the Premier League
  • Options
    Words to the Leko Voulez Vous song please ?
    Jonathan Leko
    Running down the wing, Leko
    Hear the Charlton sing, Leko
    Take us to the Premier League
    Don't call us. We'll call you!
  • Options
    Highlight of the game for me was their keeper trying to psych out Taylor from the pen, but Taylor just calmly slotting it past him and then giving it the ‘be quiet’ celebration right in front of him. The keeper then got angry and started on Taylor during the celebrations. Taylor just smiled at him and walked off
  • Options
    Taylor is massive WUM. Love it. 
  • Options
    The Sky Sports highlights are very impressive, we're definitely a team in the ascendancy. 
    It’s amazing how quick Sky get the video up, compared to last season in L1.
  • Options
    You Redssssss

also I’ve not read loads of stuff but can someone tell me, we’ve loaned two players from West Brom. We are above them. 

Will they recall them in Jan? 
  • Options
    First away game of the season for us & boy was it a good 'un.

Reading had more of the 1st half & were it not for them hitting the bar (did Dills get a touch?) & for a brilliant 1 on 1 block from said 'keeper we would have gone in a goal or 2 down.......

But 2nd half it was the exact opposite & we were different gravy. I dont know what Bowyer said to them at half time but we took the game by the scruff of the neck & dominated the next 45 mins. Defence stood resolute & the midfield went through the gears. Taylor & Leko swapped wings & had more time & space to bring the ball down, turn & make runs. Game really seemed to change once Aneke came on. Williams is a great ball player but is easily shrugged off the ball......but none of that with big Chuks. He is like Aribo on steroids. Won the penalty with pure persistence & had a couple of other chances to score as well. Honourable mentions to Gallagher & Field.....the latter is becoming our next Beliek. Glad his knock wasnt serious as he was writhing in pain for some time & I was convinced he was going to be out for weeks if not months.

One strange thing to point out though. We were sat (stood) about 8 rows from the front on the right hand side of the goal & there were quite a few empty seats. I counted at least 15 in the area directly around us....groups of 3 or 4 at a time. Dont know if the intended occupants had somehow ensconsed themselves higher up with the drummer & singers or a minibus or such like had broken down. Never seen that with a "sold out" away end before.

• Options
    Curb_It said:y
    You Redssssss

also I’ve not read loads of stuff but can someone tell me, we’ve loaned two players from West Brom. We are above them. 

Imagine they would do if we are above them in Jan. Can't see that happening though!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    RedChaser said:
    EE Aye, EE Aye, EE Aye' Oh , up the football league we go , when we win promotion, this is what we'll sing, we are Charlton, we are Charlton, Bowyer is our KING! 
    The first time I sung that, it was "...Saunders is our KING!" :smile:

Now it would be "...Saunders is inside".
    How old are you? He was talking about Ron Saunders.

Now I have a question. I remember my wife always called Ron Saunders "Daddy Saunders", because with his paunch, greying hair and walking pace, he looked like a dad having a Sunday kick-about with the kids. Was that just her nickname or did others call him that?
    Not heard him called that, either as a player or manager.
    Must just have been my missus' Oedipus Complex then.
    Technically that's an Electra Complex. Oedipus Complexes are just boys and their mums.
  • Options
    Wow, what a ruthless team we have became !!!
    Strangely enough, even during the first half, when we weren't at our best, our breaks felt more incisive than Reading's fancy tricks.
    Kept thinking: give Leko the ball, he means business...
    To my uneducated eye, it seems that the main different between this year and the previous few (apart from the boost in motivation) is that the huge wasteland gap between our front 2 and the rest of the team has gone.
    We have essentially became a team of midfielders (reminds me of the French National side in 1982) which is my favorite kind of set up.
    We are exciting to watch.
    Now lets go get that win at the new Den.

COYR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Haven't watched the highlights yet but was keeping an eye on the score all afternoon while travelling.

I was worried about our defence in the Championship, I mean really worried we would get spanked 4-0 a few times, but for me the defence has been very impressive. 2 clean sheets in our last 2 games and so far Barnsley are the only team to score more than one against us.

We should be safe by xmas

• Options
    IR94 said:
    Reading Readings forum, christ they are bitter, appropriately we were lucky, wont do anything, will be found out, quite fans lool you love to see this, burning opposite fans, no more friendly roll over Charlton, this years Championship shithousers, and I am loving it
    Having lived in that area until fairly recently, I know a few Reading fans. All of them text after the game to say that we thoroughly deserved it . Happy days. 
  • Options
    I disagree that is diminishing Bowyer. 'Playing' people is part of management. When Bowyer first came into management, he told us and the players they were better than he knew we were. This was to gain confidence and it got us to an unlikely place in the play offs. It isn't dishonest, it is massaging egos and trying to get the best out of people. Bower is a very special manager, that is clear to everybody.  
  • Options
    Mentioned on the match thread about how the reading fans and that journo who was on the Charlton Life podcast this week were so confident and were building up the quality of the Reading team. I think the journo even claimed they had the best CBs in the league. 

They couldnt get near us in that second half. Our defenders were better than there defenders, our midfield were better than there midfield and our strikers were better than there strikers. And importantly our coaching and management were streets ahead of there's. 

The decison to swap Leko and Taylor, bringing on Chuks for Williams. The way we stopped them having any real chances.

Im fucking over the moon.
    Their & their’s. o:)
    Language Timothy!
    Their and theirs.*

Language, Sound.

*Like his, hers and its, no apostrophe in the possessive pronoun. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    RedChaser said:
    EE Aye, EE Aye, EE Aye' Oh , up the football league we go , when we win promotion, this is what we'll sing, we are Charlton, we are Charlton, Bowyer is our KING! 

Now I have a question. I remember my wife always called Ron Saunders "Daddy Saunders", because with his paunch, greying hair and walking pace, he looked like a dad having a Sunday kick-about with the kids. Was that just her nickname or did others call him that?
    Of course he’s talking about Ron. Even us young whipper snappers who’ve just qualified for our freedom passes know Dean didn’t play for us. 
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    You Redssssss

My Albion supporting mate was amazed they had loaned them out. According to him, their fans rate them both.   
  • Options
    The technique is definitely working for him. Would be funny if he ran up for the next one, it would really catch the keeper out :)
    My missus said the same, the odd blast every now and then would really make the keepers think.   
  • Options
    Sat as close to the away fans as possible. Had to put up with all the wanker signs from you lot. I felt like giving some back :)  

I thought the ref was ok. Penalty was definitely a trip.
    Yes we recognised you Mutts.😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Siv_in_Norfolk said:... 
    And we dominated that game and should have won it
    That result was criminal
    Sadly, that result was absolutely correct because, surprise, surprise, we scored fewer goals than Coventry. 
  • Options
    At the game we were superb....they shaded first half and we were dominant second half.

Only spoiled for me for those who effing stand up for no reason...YES YOU IN block 27 row T seats 57 and 58...had to watch the first half on the screen to the right as couldn't see the game despite asking them politely a couple of times to sit down. Had to watch the second half on the TVs on the concourse. Few selfish pricks who spoil it for the majority.

Golfie... To ask your question re empty seats, there were a number if lads who were just drinking on the concourse second half, some didn't know we were winning. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    RedChaser said:

I think most people calling him names might have been picking their teeth up shortly afterwards. Ron Saunders was a hard bastard, as a player and as a manager. 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    One thing I would say for Reading is the food in and outside the ground looked excellent. I say looked because we drove up to a nearby pub and ate there before the game, but the Chinese Chicken thing I saw some Reading fans eating at half time was as good as anything I have seen at a football match. Maybe it didn't taste as good as it looked!

Was impressed with the big screen set up outside the ground too - showing Sky Sports news and having beer and food stalls and benches in front of it. Something we ought to look at.
  • Options
    Sat as close to the away fans as possible. Had to put up with all the wanker signs from you lot. I felt like giving some back :)  

I thought the ref was ok. Penalty was definitely a trip.
    Were you the big geezer with “a pie in his pocket” Mutts? 🙂
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Duplicate post. Move along please. Nothing to see here. 
  • Options
    No, I had a kebab  in one pocket and a saveloy in the other!
  • Options
    What a great day out ....again ! I could REALLY get used to this ! Daughter is loving the aways as much as she did in the late 80s and 90s and this time with her 2 eldest children. 

I'm sure everything worth saying has already been said by now ...What a great 2nd half performance by our lads with the flowing, accurate passing we saw in the 1st half of the Forest match at The Valley. Such energy, skill & determination, with every successful pass, block & tackle cheered by the faithful. A joy to behold indeed.

THIS is what we save our hard earned pennies to see & what the likes of Man City fans expect to see week after week. 

Our expectations are somewhat lower, albeit that we constantly live in hope of 3 points or even 1 each time we take our seats in the grounds we visit and what we were privileged to witness this afternoon. Utterly sublime. 

It would be totally unfair to single out a MOTM . Every player knew their role from start to finish and carried out the gaffer's cunning plan with their hearts as well as their legs IYKWIM. Poetry in motion, as Johnnie Tillotson sang when I was just a girl. 

The atmosphere engendered by the 2000+ travelling Addicks was electric with non stop singing, chanting and bouncing. Boy, did that South Stand rock ! No-one wanted to leave - waiting expectantly for Lyle's tunnel jump and then applauding the subs as they came out to warm down. Sadly for them, the Reading fans had resembled cardboard cutouts for most of the match and couldn't wait to exit stage left....

Two thoughts jumped into my mind as we made our way back to the car. 

Firstly, how proud Bow, Jacko & SG must be of their boys tonight and how all concerned are deserving of the upcoming , break. 

And secondly, how "our" Morro must have wished that he was still wearing the red shirt today, bless his cotton socks. But for a certain Belgian, his path over the last 4 years would have been very different. A respected & stalwart defender who will be long & fondly remembered in SE7. 

So, with the red ball prominent in our thoughts next weekend, we look forward with barely disguised excitement to the visit of Birmingham in 2 weeks' time. Wouldn't it be great to have a full house at The Valley !

It's no more than our brave lads deserve. 
    Got to admit here...that gave me a little tear of joy of pride reading that...thank u 😘
  • Options
    This is beyond my wildest dreams .

Every week I’m waiting for the inevitable defeat , ping the phone alarm goes and there it is 0-1 Charlton and I’m squinting, no it can’t be .

These lads are miracle workers , long may it continue .

10 fixtures time we have the scum , please save some of our luck for that one .

Did the Reading effort that hit the bar get pushed on to it by Phillips and was it off our defender ?
    Couple of brilliant stops from Phillips and good to see Aneke earn the penalty .

Taylor’s pens are pure theatre , the build up and tenseness as he’s about to finish it off and bang a happy ending ....sounds like something else !!

4th bottom above the scum is all I ask for , a small simple request that will make me the happiest man in the world .

100% he got a touch on that, I was right behind it. 
  • Options
    I think you can make a case that we can make the top six but it is still early days and much water needs to flow under the bridge. I am pretty confident we will see Millwall off - that is almost a meaningless objective this season. They are not worth being added to the more ambitious ones.