Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reading v Charlton | Sat 31 Aug 2019 | 3pm KO | POST MATCH Thread

Comments

• Options
    At the game we were superb....they shaded first half and we were dominant second half.

Only spoiled for me for those who effing stand up for no reason...YES YOU IN block 27 row T seats 57 and 58...had to watch the first half on the screen to the right as couldn't see the game despite asking them politely a couple of times to sit down. Had to watch the second half on the TVs on the concourse. Few selfish pricks who spoil it for the majority.

Golfie... To ask your question re empty seats, there were a number if lads who were just drinking on the concourse second half, some didn't know we were winning. 
    The seats were empty all game. We got into the ground around 2.30pm & no one filled up any if the seats around us from that point onwards. I was expecting 2 or 3 groups to be arriving close to kick off as I expected them to be late or drinking outside.....but nothing.

As for the standing issue. I was a bit amazed that everyone around us was prepared to stand all game. I'm not to fussed either way but usually would prefer to sit.....but what with the rain in the first half it was good to be able to turn around at times & shield myself from the elements. In your shoes I would be mightily pissed off though. Unfortunately it does seem like the norm to stand all through the game even when there is no need (like yesterday)
    Guy in row Z with a crutch could see naff all, he couldn’t stand but didn’t seem to worry those standing in front of him. Found a seat lower down fortunately.
  • Options
    Article starts with Charlton, decent read. But they're really bigging up Kim Grant:

"Huddersfield Town were presented with a chance to go level with opponents Luton Town at Kenilworth Road on Saturday, one they looked to be taking after Karlan Grant’s opener. He is the best player bar none in this Terriers team. In fact, he is often the only one who looks up to this standard."

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    At the game we were superb....they shaded first half and we were dominant second half.

Only spoiled for me for those who effing stand up for no reason...YES YOU IN block 27 row T seats 57 and 58...had to watch the first half on the screen to the right as couldn't see the game despite asking them politely a couple of times to sit down. Had to watch the second half on the TVs on the concourse. Few selfish pricks who spoil it for the majority.

Golfie... To ask your question re empty seats, there were a number if lads who were just drinking on the concourse second half, some didn't know we were winning. 
    Ah the first 'sit daarn' post of the season, and only 3 away games in! Lovely stuff. 
    Clever post... There was a small boy sat next to me who couldn't see either... He went to see the match not someone's back....selfish picks. 
    When I was 6/7 and couldn't see due to people standing, my dad just got me to stand on my seat. It's football.
    My 9 year stood on his seat all game and loved it. As did my dad who stood all game with a dodgy knee. If you are attending a sell out away game you have to accept it. If you really don’t like it then go to the others where we don’t sell out, it’s not like it’s every game.
    Everytime I go to a sell out game it seems to bring out the morons, so guess you are right, shame as the idiots win. 
    Could just get a seat at Ebbsfleet though
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

Ah the first 'sit daarn' post of the season, and only 3 away games in! Lovely stuff. 
    Clever post... There was a small boy sat next to me who couldn't see either... He went to see the match not someone's back....selfish picks. 
    When I was 6/7 and couldn't see due to people standing, my dad just got me to stand on my seat. It's football.
    My 9 year stood on his seat all game and loved it. As did my dad who stood all game with a dodgy knee. If you are attending a sell out away game you have to accept it. If you really don’t like it then go to the others where we don’t sell out, it’s not like it’s every game.
    Everytime I go to a sell out game it seems to bring out the morons, so guess you are right, shame as the idiots win. 
    Could just get a seat at Ebbsfleet though
    What's that got to do with it... Weird. 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

Or, when it’s a sell out we could sit so everyone can enjoy the game, if you really don’t like sitting then go to where we don’t sell out, it’s not like it’s every game.

I’m sure your dad’s knee would appreciate it.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:
    JamesSeed said:
    What a second half. Worth the shitty bus service junk to and from the stadium for that performance.

All players were on their game. But biggest joy was seeing Johnny Williams running amok in the second half. I think Bowyer took him off to avoid one of the Reading players taking a lump out of him, as he was looking absolute Premier League quality. Keep it up Johnny lad. 
    Taxis were available. I thought it was a quid well spent myself. 
    It depends what yer into JS. I despise these  modern stadiums that are miles from the town the club is representing. I've grown up going to away games knowing you can usually get to the station, find a pub and walk to the ground. 

Yesterday that bus took ages before and after the game. The roads were jammed, no bus lane to speed us through. £2 might seem cheap, but you shouldn't have to go through all that crap in the first place just to get to the town's ground. 
    My experience was the polar opposite to yours. Parked right opposite the retail centre, barely a 5 minute walk from the ground and an excellent place to get straight onto the M4 after the game.

Planty of eating choices in the retail park and I liked the "tents" outside the ground selling alcohol and food. I thought the whole experience was very positive: but hey, each to their own.
    Exactly, each to their own, take it you you didn't have a few bevvies with your mates
  • Options

The seats were empty all game. We got into the ground around 2.30pm & no one filled up any if the seats around us from that point onwards. I was expecting 2 or 3 groups to be arriving close to kick off as I expected them to be late or drinking outside.....but nothing.

As for the standing issue. I was a bit amazed that everyone around us was prepared to stand all game. I'm not to fussed either way but usually would prefer to sit.....but what with the rain in the first half it was good to be able to turn around at times & shield myself from the elements. In your shoes I would be mightily pissed off though. Unfortunately it does seem like the norm to stand all through the game even when there is no need (like yesterday)
    Guy in row Z with a crutch could see naff all, he couldn’t stand but didn’t seem to worry those standing in front of him. Found a seat lower down fortunately.
    Disgusting, I prefer to stand, aint happening tho if elderly, disabled or kids behind me.
  • Options
    Great day yesterday, very much enjoyed my first league game in the flesh since the back to the valley game in 1992. Bowyer is doing something special with these players. He has already achieved more than any other manager since the RD era commenced, and is up there with the Charlton greats. Imagine what he might be able to achieve if he can spend more time working on gelling these players together into an even more closely bonded unit. We already have a great mix of youth and experience, some skilled technicians and some raw unpredictability, but they are playing together in a way not seen for many a year.

At half time, I was reflecting on how much of the action took place down the other end, bar the effort off the bar and Dillon’s smart save at the end of the half. It seemed we had probably shaded things and I felt like more of the same should see us home and dry. The second half we were pretty much in total control, with a number of opportunities after the first goal to make it more comfortable. If we had run out 4 or even 5 nil winners, it wouldn’t have flattered us. 

Too many top top performances to mention, but Jonny Williams puts the fear of god into the opposition with his box of tricks, Gallagher is going to be a real star, and Aneke was excellent when he came on. 

As Lee always says, he wants to win every game, and at the moment, it feels like anything can be achieved.
  • Options
    Judging from the comments, Reading is a good day out if you're driving, but lousy by public transport...
  • Options
    This is beyond my wildest dreams .

Every week I’m waiting for the inevitable defeat , ping the phone alarm goes and there it is 0-1 Charlton and I’m squinting, no it can’t be .

These lads are miracle workers , long may it continue .

10 fixtures time we have the scum , please save some of our luck for that one .

Did the Reading effort that hit the bar get pushed on to it by Phillips and was it off our defender ?
    Couple of brilliant stops from Phillips and good to see Aneke earn the penalty .

Taylor’s pens are pure theatre , the build up and tenseness as he’s about to finish it off and bang a happy ending ....sounds like something else !!

4th bottom above the scum is all I ask for , a small simple request that will make me the happiest man in the world .

100% he got a touch on that, I was right behind it. 
    Never put a percentage in a reply to oohaah.  It will distort the universe 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Was at a birthday party in Reading with Charlton fans and a couple of Reading fans. Followed on the Twitter feed. Great result.

——

Are you saying you didn’t go to the game because you were at a party, in Reading, with other Charlton fans???
    That would explain all the empty seats chippy commented on.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Article starts with Charlton, decent read. But they're really bigging up Kim Grant:

"Huddersfield Town were presented with a chance to go level with opponents Luton Town at Kenilworth Road on Saturday, one they looked to be taking after Karlan Grant’s opener. He is the best player bar none in this Terriers team. In fact, he is often the only one who looks up to this standard."

More like they're smalling down the rest of the team than bigging up Karlan Grant.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Karlan has done well for them, but that reflects how terrible the rest of the side has been, especially with Billing and Mooy, probably their best players, gone
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Seriously, though... I'm baffled by many of the comments about standing/sitting. It seems like we should be able to coordinate things fairly easily to ensure that those who want to stand are behind those who want to sit. 

It has been interesting to observe how some clubs' supporters have managed this in the Jimmy Seed over the last few years. Some clubs do, some clubs don't. It sounds like we currently don't.... And that we'd benefit from becoming one that does. 

One for the Trust? Fans Forum? Does the supporters club still exist?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    The issue is that you’re officially not allowed to stand for the game so the discussion can’t officially be had .
    I can see both points of view but I wouldn’t wanna sit down the front with a shit view if I’ve got seats further back .
    we had 5 seats in a decent spot 3/4’s of the way back at Donny in the play off game where I stood with my 9 year old and 7 year old (on the seat) with mate and his son , I was fucked by the end of it trying to keep the seat from flipping back .
    Half time we all sat down for a rest .
    our 5 seats soon became 3 as others squeezed in for the atmosphere , which was annoying but you get on with it .
    As for those older with less ability to stand it must be a nightmare and I feel for them .

• Options
    Watched the stream live. Whatever the beefs about standing, sitting, rules, etc. The Charlton supporters were bloody magnificent.
  • Options
    Fair play Pete
  • Options
    Well we had to stand most of the game because there were stewards blocking our view.

The atmosphere would not be as good without standing though. 

The problem would be quickly removed by safe standing being built, with a section reserved for those who need to sit. But will that ever happen??? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    RedChaser said:
    EE Aye, EE Aye, EE Aye' Oh , up the football league we go , when we win promotion, this is what we'll sing, we are Charlton, we are Charlton, Bowyer is our KING! 
    The first time I sung that, it was "...Saunders is our KING!" :smile:

Now it would be "...Saunders is inside".
    No, no, not that up-his-own-arse wingeing Saunders who's made the headlines recently for all the wrong reasons ...... Ron Saunders, tough battling goal scoring centre forward when he played for Charlton.

Later on, I believe he was also a manager somewhere. :smile:

He was a good manager as well. Aston Villa if my memory serves. 
  • Options
    Surely just designating some seats to family/elderly is easy enough, first come first served and all that. That's how I see it when reading rickets became available. I chose these as my little fella loves to watch the game intently, my eldest whose 23 wouldn't give a shit and be more interested in throwing beer in the air, so he can fuck off over the other side. 
  • Options
    The issue is that you’re officially not allowed to stand for the game so the discussion can’t officially be had 

I see... Yeah, that is a barrier to sensible arrangements being made. 
  • Options
    How about, if you want to stand and have seats near the front, you ask if there is anybody who can't stand. That message can easily be transferred between the fans and those that can't stand can move down and everybody is happy.
  • Options
    Surely just designating some seats to family/elderly is easy enough, first come first served and all that. That's how I see it when reading rickets became available. I chose these as my little fella loves to watch the game intently, my eldest whose 23 wouldn't give a shit and be more interested in throwing beer in the air, so he can fuck off over the other side. 
     Out of interest @Charltonparklane , where was you sitting?

Like you I selected ‘Family Area’ tickets just after you bought yours (and expected to be right near you). I expected us to be near the front or the side but we were 27 rows back in AA in amongst it. We didn’t have any other kids in the seats either side or in the rows behind and in front. 

Dont know whether it was down to Charlton or Reading to sort out the family area allocation but we certainly weren’t part of it so I just assumed they didn’t bother (I could guess which club).
  • Options
    I had to buy tickets with the home fans, and most of them were standing!
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

AFKA that is a ridiculous suggestion. I buy my away tickets as soon as they are available and don't know if it will be a sell out.If I follow your suggestion I won't go to away games as due to a debilitating disease I cannot stand for a whole match so the likes of you and other people who stand are taking away from me the right to watch an away game - not impressed!
    You don't get it, do you? Safe standing is a smoke screen. AFKABartram and oohaahmortimer have both said that their children stood on their seats. What would happen if they went in a safe standing area? They wouldn't be able to see! It is only the height of the chairs that allow them to see over standing supporters heads! If the were standing in a safe standing area, they wouldn't be able to see over the head of a normal, standing adult. So, they would continue to go into the seating areas.

This is why I refused to sign the safe standing petition. Because until it is safe standing, and ENFORCED sitting in other areas, nothing has changed! But I've never heard any supporters group saying that. Face it, according to most supporters on CL, and most other fans groups, anybody old, or slightly infirm, shouldn't be going to a football game. We're just stopping the youngsters from having a good time!
  • Options
     Out of interest @Charltonparklane , where was you sitting?

Like you I selected ‘Family Area’ tickets just after you bought yours (and expected to be right near you). I expected us to be near the front or the side but we were 27 rows back in AA in amongst it. We didn’t have any other kids in the seats either side or in the rows behind and in front. 

Dont know whether it was down to Charlton or Reading to sort out the family area allocation but we certainly weren’t part of it so I just assumed they didn’t bother (I could guess which club).
    Yh, same, expected to see you. I bought my mate and his kids tickets as well in family section (no others sold in this bit before I bought his so expected to be together. Ours came and stated family ticket, his came and didn't (both transactions select family Seaton) We was in block 29 Row T, he was in block 27 row AA so probably near you. Think it was error by club sending the tickets out by sound of it pal. Deffo more than average kids near me. Did your ticket star family area? 
  • Options
    great result got the bus from the station to the ground - v quick. 

our next 5 are a little daunting;

brum h
    wigan a
    leeds h
    swansea h
    fulham a

if we can get 5 points from that lot we are staying up anything more than that then dare to dream.............
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

AFKA that is a ridiculous suggestion. I buy my away tickets as soon as they are available and don't know if it will be a sell out.If I follow your suggestion I won't go to away games as due to a debilitating disease I cannot stand for a whole match so the likes of you and other people who stand are taking away from me the right to watch an away game - not impressed!
    You don't get it, do you? Safe standing is a smoke screen. AFKABartram and oohaahmortimer have both said that their children stood on their seats. What would happen if they went in a safe standing area? They wouldn't be able to see! It is only the height of the chairs that allow them to see over standing supporters heads! If the were standing in a safe standing area, they wouldn't be able to see over the head of a normal, standing adult. So, they would continue to go into the seating areas.

This is why I refused to sign the safe standing petition. Because until it is safe standing, and ENFORCED sitting in other areas, nothing has changed! But I've never heard any supporters group saying that. Face it, according to most supporters on CL, and most other fans groups, anybody old, or slightly infirm, shouldn't be going to a football game. We're just stopping the youngsters from having a good time!
    what are you on about????????
    I didn't mention safe standing, I don't have a view on safe standing and safe standing wasn't in my mind when writing my reply yo AFKA
    I just want to sit and watch the game - I guess that is too much to ask from modern Charlton supporters