Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reading v Charlton | Sat 31 Aug 2019 | 3pm KO | POST MATCH Thread

Comments

• Options
    It does surprise me how nobody seems to be too bothered about people who may have difficulty standing. I'm all for a great atmosphere, and the fans certainly generated that yesterday, but not caring about fellow fans who may have a health issue is not a good look. Maybe there is a way to organise things so people who can't stand, are given seats at the front. They are fellow Charlton fans after all.
    Yeh, it would be good if you were able to select your seat like you do for home games.
    As things are I much prefer the games where you can sit where you like rather than the designated seats.
    I'm 65 and have some balance issues as a result of my menieres, so I much prefer to sit these days but I have long since accepted that when I go to an away game I will likely be standing.
    Yesterday I had a seat towards the back on the end of a row.
    By kick-off the aisle beside me was full of young lads standing who clearly had no intention of using their designated seat.
    Every time the stewards came to "clear the aisle" the lads just sidled into the row alongside and in front of me until the stewards went.
    Now standing is one thing, but a wobbly 5' 8" pensioner surrounded by strapping 6' lads in the same row is another.
    I did think for a moment that it was going to be an issue, but fortunately the stewards seemed to lose interest after a while and the lads resumed their spot on the aisle and got out of my face.
    As long as I had my uninterrupted view I was happy.
    It did occur to me at one point that I could maybe ask one of the lads for their ticket and go and sit in their place, but I decided not to as the game was under way and if somebody else had taken it already it becomes a hassle.
    In any case the lads looked too pissed to remember their own names.
  • Options
    Major said:
    Watched the stream live. Whatever the beefs about standing, sitting, rules, etc. The Charlton supporters were bloody magnificent.
    From the Reading forum:

'For the record their support was amazing , it must have felt like a home game for Charlton'
  • Options
    great result got the bus from the station to the ground - v quick. 

our next 5 are a little daunting;

brum h
    wigan a
    leeds h
    swansea h
    fulham a

if we can get 5 points from that lot we are staying up anything more than that then dare to dream.............
    It's not so much the next 5, as Brum and Wigan are games we can get points from. The following 6 games will be the big test...
  • Options
    He loves life and bants 
  • Options
    great result got the bus from the station to the ground - v quick. 

our next 5 are a little daunting;

brum h
    wigan a
    leeds h
    swansea h
    fulham a

if we can get 5 points from that lot we are staying up anything more than that then dare to dream.............
    It's not so much the next 5, as Brum and Wigan are games we can get points from. The following 6 games will be the big test...
    Plenty of dìfficult fixtures coming up - can't see any really weak teams in the division. Surprised to see Stoke, Derby and Hfld so far down the table.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Saw we have only lost twice this calendar year so far, don't think I've ever known us have so few defeats from January - September.
    You think that's good, our last home defeat was against Coventry on 6th september 2018... 
    When was the last time we went unbeaten at home in a calendar year?
    You are excluding the play-off defeat by Donny Rovers?
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Saw we have only lost twice this calendar year so far, don't think I've ever known us have so few defeats from January - September.
    You think that's good, our last home defeat was against Coventry on 6th september 2018... 
    Won that game on penalties...
  • Options
    I liked the days when I was 6/7 in the late 80s and as kid i would turn round on a terrace and see a bloke pissing into a rolled up newspaper
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    I liked the days when I was 6/7 in the late 80s and as kid i would turn round on a terrace and see a bloke pissing into a rolled up newspaper
    I hope it was the Sun.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I had to buy tickets with the home fans, and most of them were standing!
    Is that because some inconsiderate Charlton fan in front of them was on his feet all match ?

• Options
    cabbles said:
    I hope it was the Sun.
    The Pink 'Un
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    We lost 2-1 and 3-2 on the night. 
  • Options
    I  was in row M. I recently injured my leg and had to stand up purely because 3 guys 3 rows in front chose to stand up all game. This created a domino effect as everyone else had to stand too. Frustrating really.
  • Options
    I guess they can’t ask it outright but they need a way so they can allocate tickets to people who wish to sit towards the front and people who wish to stand towards the back.

Bring in the safe standing is what I say...
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I guess they can’t ask it outright but they need a way so they can allocate tickets to people who wish to sit towards the front and people who wish to stand towards the back.

It cannot be outside the realms of possibility to ask a question when you buy tickets.

"Do you require to sit the whole game (Y/N)"

"N" up the back you larakins
    "Y" make sure you take your flask and blanket grandad/ma/transgender
  • Options

We just need a thread for matching fans that want to swap away seats so if somebody who has a ticket or tickets near the back and would prefer to sit near the front then they just make it known which row they are in and let somebody who has tickets near the front and wants to stand near the back just pm them. They don’t need to actually swap tickets as long as they swap seat numbers but meeting up on the day of the match in a nearby pub or just outside (or inside) the gates if they did want to swap.
  • Options

We just need a thread for matching fans that want to swap away seats so if somebody who has a ticket or tickets near the back and would prefer to sit near the front then they just make it known which row they are in and let somebody who has tickets near the front and wants to stand near the back just pm them. They don’t need to actually swap tickets as long as they swap seat numbers but meeting up on the day of the match in a nearby pub or just outside (or inside) the gates if they did want to swap.
    Not a bad idea, I say. 

Even if just a handful of people avoid hardship at any given game, it'd be worth it imo 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    The Huddersfield approach to unbeaten runs  :)
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    The Huddersfield approach to unbeaten runs  :)
     Good enough for José Mourinho too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I  was in row M. I recently injured my leg and had to stand up purely because 3 guys 3 rows in front chose to stand up all game. This created a domino effect as everyone else had to stand too. Frustrating really.
    I had exactly the same experience last season.
  • Options
    I had exactly the same experience last season. 

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Rob said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    RedChaser said:
    EE Aye, EE Aye, EE Aye' Oh , up the football league we go , when we win promotion, this is what we'll sing, we are Charlton, we are Charlton, Bowyer is our KING! 
    The first time I sung that, it was "...Saunders is our KING!" :smile:

Now it would be "...Saunders is inside".
    No, no, not that up-his-own-arse wingeing Saunders who's made the headlines recently for all the wrong reasons ...... Ron Saunders, tough battling goal scoring centre forward when he played for Charlton.

Later on, I believe he was also a manager somewhere. :smile:

He was a good manager as well. Aston Villa if my memory serves. 
    Yeah, that's right ..... hence my tongue in cheek comment and smiley. :smile:

If I remember he got Villa promoted, won the League Cup and then the First Division title and qualified for the European Cup.
    And then  suddenly  resigned.

A few months later, "his team" won the European Cup!

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Rob said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    RedChaser said:
    EE Aye, EE Aye, EE Aye' Oh , up the football league we go , when we win promotion, this is what we'll sing, we are Charlton, we are Charlton, Bowyer is our KING! 
    The first time I sung that, it was "...Saunders is our KING!" :smile:

Now it would be "...Saunders is inside".
    No, no, not that up-his-own-arse wingeing Saunders who's made the headlines recently for all the wrong reasons ...... Ron Saunders, tough battling goal scoring centre forward when he played for Charlton.

Later on, I believe he was also a manager somewhere. :smile:

He was a good manager as well. Aston Villa if my memory serves. 
    Yeah, that's right ..... hence my tongue in cheek comment and smiley. :smile:

If I remember he got Villa promoted, won the League Cup and then the First Division title and qualified for the European Cup.
    And then  suddenly  resigned.

A few months later, "his team" won the European Cup!

In two years time Bowyer will resign after a contract dispute, leaving Jacko to manage us to Champions League glory  :)
  • Options

Good idea in theory but I fear a lot of the people who would prefer to sit are probably elderly & dont frequent message boards such as this. 

I think its more down to the ticket office. Shouldnt be hard to separate a number of tickets & keep the front 6-8 rows for those expressly asking to sit. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Love the way Reading's keeper approached Lyle after the goal and Lyle's reaction :-)
    Anyone else thinking what a lovely set of empty seats up there in the corner with an uninterrupted view??
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Love the way Reading's keeper approached Lyle after the goal and Lyle's reaction :-)
    Anyone else thinking what a lovely set of empty seats up there in the corner with an uninterrupted view??
    Red seats as well.
  • Options
    Safe standing would make watching football safer for everyone in my opinion. 

MPs are never likely to get this as they can’t see outside of their own self importance.

Tory Minister just on the radio saying he will have to vote with the government today or he will be deselected. Moral backbone of a Thames trout, floating down the river in whatever direction the tides of self interest push him. Pathetic.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Thinking exactly the same! We couldn't get seats and yet the ground looks half empty, can't understand why they didn't release another block. Still, the noise from our fans would have been heard in the town centre as well. Magnificent on the clips.
  • Options
    Thinking of finding our own solution to the standing issue, maybe the first thing we should do is have fans polled to establish the sort of numbers that attend away games that prefer to stand/sit/don’t mind either way. At least we can sort ourselves out at games where it is a free for all by agreeing that all standing starts ( say) top right.

One would hope the club could sell tickets on this basis, but I guess that they sell by block as dictated by the away club and I doubt they have any clue where the seat actually is.