Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reading v Charlton | Sat 31 Aug 2019 | 3pm KO | POST MATCH Thread

Comments

• Options
    At the game we were superb....they shaded first half and we were dominant second half.

Only spoiled for me for those who effing stand up for no reason...YES YOU IN block 27 row T seats 57 and 58...had to watch the first half on the screen to the right as couldn't see the game despite asking them politely a couple of times to sit down. Had to watch the second half on the TVs on the concourse. Few selfish pricks who spoil it for the majority.

Golfie... To ask your question re empty seats, there were a number if lads who were just drinking on the concourse second half, some didn't know we were winning. 
    The seats were empty all game. We got into the ground around 2.30pm & no one filled up any if the seats around us from that point onwards. I was expecting 2 or 3 groups to be arriving close to kick off as I expected them to be late or drinking outside.....but nothing.

As for the standing issue. I was a bit amazed that everyone around us was prepared to stand all game. I'm not to fussed either way but usually would prefer to sit.....but what with the rain in the first half it was good to be able to turn around at times & shield myself from the elements. In your shoes I would be mightily pissed off though. Unfortunately it does seem like the norm to stand all through the game even when there is no need (like yesterday)
  • Options
    Mentioned on the match thread about how the reading fans and that journo who was on the Charlton Life podcast this week were so confident and were building up the quality of the Reading team. I think the journo even claimed they had the best CBs in the league. 

They couldnt get near us in that second half. Our defenders were better than there defenders, our midfield were better than there midfield and our strikers were better than there strikers. And importantly our coaching and management were streets ahead of there's. 

The decison to swap Leko and Taylor, bringing on Chuks for Williams. The way we stopped them having any real chances.

Im fucking over the moon.
    Their & their’s. o:)
    Language Timothy!
    Their and theirs.*

Language, Sound.

*Like his, hers and its, no apostrophe in the possessive pronoun. 
    Got to laugh at my mistake.....funnily enough, I never put an apostrophe in theirs when I’m actually writing.
    Doh!  :/
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Stood all game at Barnsley. Prefer it but wouldn't stand in front of somebody who is seated. That's just plain rude.
  • Options
    All the reading fans where we were stood too!
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    On a stream.

This is getting a bit silly now.
    As a combination of factors we have the smallest budget, a relatively inexperienced manager (six games at this level) a pretty young team, and are favourites to go down.
    Perhaps Charlton should be censured in some way for not following the pre-ordained script!
    The explanation of everything is whatever Lee Bowyer say it is, end of.
    In my view so far this season in terms of sheer willingness to compete only Barnsley have matched us, and whilst there are good skilled players in every team we have played, indeed good management and teamwork too, what Charlton are doing is squeezing every last bit of juice out of the battling imperative bottle...because bottle is what we show game after game.
    The secret others haven't sussed yet is that we have some pretty good players too. We are underestimated, and we out fight opponents. 
    In a decent nip and tuck first half we might have scored, but so might Reading, hitting the woodwork and a great save from Phillips when Reading broke free after we gave the ball away.
    However the second half was very different.
    Was it that Reading were bemused that we hadn't laid down and died for them, and once they reached half 

This is all getting, as I say, rather silly now, I can't be doing with my head spinning this much.

Don’t tell ‘em Pike!
  • Options
    What a second half. Worth the shitty bus service junk to and from the stadium for that performance.

All players were on their game. But biggest joy was seeing Johnny Williams running amok in the second half. I think Bowyer took him off to avoid one of the Reading players taking a lump out of him, as he was looking absolute Premier League quality. Keep it up Johnny lad. 
    Taxis were available. I thought it was a quid well spent myself. 
  • Options
    This is beyond my wildest dreams .

Every week I’m waiting for the inevitable defeat , ping the phone alarm goes and there it is 0-1 Charlton and I’m squinting, no it can’t be .

These lads are miracle workers , long may it continue .

10 fixtures time we have the scum , please save some of our luck for that one .

Did the Reading effort that hit the bar get pushed on to it by Phillips and was it off our defender ?
    Couple of brilliant stops from Phillips and good to see Aneke earn the penalty .

Taylor’s pens are pure theatre , the build up and tenseness as he’s about to finish it off and bang a happy ending ....sounds like something else !!

4th bottom above the scum is all I ask for , a small simple request that will make me the happiest man in the world .

100% he got a touch on that, I was right behind it. 
    yep, agreed. I was in the second row just to the side of the goal and thought he got a touch
  • Options
    Fiiiiiish said:
    Absolutely loved that.

Had to sit in the home end but watching our fans dominate the atmosphere as much as Charlton dominated that second half was perfect viewing. 

I would say Reading shaded the first half, they hit the bar and we missed a very decent chance. The Phillips save at the end of the 1st half was absolutely key as was his one from the free kick. 

Then when we came out, we looked untouchable, superb passing, great link up play. It really could and should have been 3 or 4. I think we wanted to play better on the floor in the first half but the downpour put an end to that. 

Normally when we are under the hammer of attacks in the last 5 minutes I get nervous but I can honestly say the whole back 4 and Dills were absolutely rock solid. 

Taylor bullied their back line, but unfortunately gave the ball away a little too much in the 1st half imo, still, he gets a goal. Was clearly livid at Leko and Gallagher for not having a ball squared to him a couple of times.

Williams had another great game, Reading players and fans hated him which is a sign of how we'll he did. Aneke needed a big performance and he delivered, massive credit for him trying to stay on his feet before the 2nd rubbish tackle on him for the penalty.

A midfield of Field, Cullen and Gallagher is extremely green, but you can't put a price on ability and hunger. Pratley coming on for Field sealed the midfield battle in the last 10.

When I was walking out I heard some delusional Reading fans saying "I can't believe they won that" blah blah blah. Their multi million signings were overshadowed and outplayed, simple as that. They have a couple of exciting players on the ball, but when Sols dealt with the left winger and used his experience to block the trickery, it was a matter of time before that winger was subbed. 

Absolutely buzzing, Get in! 
    Exactly. I doubt many of us are calling for the return of the experienced trio of Crofts, Foley & Uvestadt. 

It was very reassuring to see the quality on the bench. Otzumer could have come on if (and it’s a big if ;-) ) we’d been a goal down, for example.

I though Leko was great yesterday. Sure, some things he tried didn’t work, but he didn’t stop making runs off the ball right til the end, and you could see that was unsettling their defence. 

What Bowyer seems to bring is balance. Not too defensive, not too attacking, a team that won’t get overrun, but will always look like scoring.

And the team spirit looks phenomenal. Bodies on the line til the last ball is kicked.
    Long may it continue. 

What a great away day that was. Even sat next to a cycling buddy from last year’s ride to Amsterdam!
  • Options
    Thought we were excellent, my fear when Aribo went was he would be hard to replace, Gallagher my MoM yesterday seems an upgrade to me!
  • Options
    Anyone share the exact lyrics of the Leko song? heard two/three different versions! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely any Leko song should be to the tune of Biko by Peter Gabriel. 
  • Options

Naby Sarr Retweeted Charlton Athletic FC

Unreal Boys ! #CAFC

• Options
    REPORT Six games, four wins, two draws, no defeats... Leko and Taylor's strikes ensure the Addicks' fine start to life bak in the @SkyBetChamp continues with 2-0 win at @ReadingFC https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d6a991f38891/report-reading-0-charlton-2 … #cafc

• Options

Dillon Phillips Retweeted Charlton Athletic FC

What a Result away from home! Boys were top draw again @CAFCofficial

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:

Another top team performance again. Long may it continue! Clean sheet, 3 points! support was madness aswell- rocking!!! #together #CAFC #coyr #Okay @k_andrewsphotos

Great picture that. You shall not pass. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    At the game we were superb....they shaded first half and we were dominant second half.

Only spoiled for me for those who effing stand up for no reason...YES YOU IN block 27 row T seats 57 and 58...had to watch the first half on the screen to the right as couldn't see the game despite asking them politely a couple of times to sit down. Had to watch the second half on the TVs on the concourse. Few selfish pricks who spoil it for the majority.

Golfie... To ask your question re empty seats, there were a number if lads who were just drinking on the concourse second half, some didn't know we were winning. 
    Ah the first 'sit daarn' post of the season, and only 3 away games in! Lovely stuff. 
    Clever post... There was a small boy sat next to me who couldn't see either... He went to see the match not someone's back....selfish picks. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Ah the first 'sit daarn' post of the season, and only 3 away games in! Lovely stuff. 
    Clever post... There was a small boy sat next to me who couldn't see either... He went to see the match not someone's back....selfish picks. 
    Looool, have a day off