Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Reading v Charlton | Sat 31 Aug 2019 | 3pm KO | POST MATCH Thread

Comments

• Davo55 said:

Great to see a few lifers, and have a brief chat with @Pico @AFKABartram and @PeterGage

Did you ask our resident ref Peter Gage what he thought of the Aussie ref? 

• Oggy Red said:
    Unbeaten and 14 points accrued in August...outstanding. 
    It's brilliant, isn't it?

I was just looking at the results and table - and see Derby languishing in the lower bottom half.

Couldn't help but thinking, I wonder if Krystian Beilik ever wishes that he could've come back to Charlton and rejoined Lee Bowyer's 'journey'?
    Mate I bet Bauer, Aribo, Dijksteel and Grant are also looking at the results tonight and thinking whilst my bank balance is looking a bit better, I wish I was back with the gang.

Still I'm sure they will be enjoying their Saturday nights out tonight in Preston, Middlesbrough and Huddersfield! 
    Joe not going out tonight then? Can't blame him. I expect he is looking forward to the Europa League group stage to be fair, but when they get battered out of sight he will wonder what's left to look forward to, such as a cold dark night in effing Inverness.

Trouble is, much as I loved him last season, I don't know whom he'd replace now if we got him back.  
    Thanks Gallagher’s goals and industry, and Williams’ and Leko’s running with the ball we’ve not really missed Aribo. A great player though who would be great to have in the squad. 
  • I’m good at this. I predicted we’d get between 1 and 4 points in August. We got 14. Bingo. What a win.  Just enjoy the ride folks. 
    Could you predict we'll have between 8 an 9 points by the end of May, please?  Then hopefully we'll have 89.
  • edited August 2019
    Mentioned on the match thread about how the reading fans and that journo who was on the Charlton Life podcast this week were so confident and were building up the quality of the Reading team. I think the journo even claimed they had the best CBs in the league. 

They couldnt get near us in that second half. Our defenders were better than there defenders, our midfield were better than there midfield and our strikers were better than there strikers. And importantly our coaching and management were streets ahead of there's. 

The decison to swap Leko and Taylor, bringing on Chuks for Williams. The way we stopped them having any real chances.

Im fucking over the moon.
    Their & their’s. o:)
    Language Timothy!
  • Didn’t go today so have really enjoyed reading all these so far.  Keep them coming 
  • edited August 2019
    We still have Kayal to come back as well. Lee Lee Lee Bowyer!!
    He will take us to the next level and help us compete against Leeds, Swansea, Fulham etc.
    Only just realised we are home to Leeds and Swansea, then away to Fulham within 7 days of each other. 
    Big week that, hopefully take all 3 points from brum and aim for 4/5 points from those 3 games. 
  • edited September 2019
    Egg-bloody-static ;) 

May have been mentioned - I have not read all the thread  - but Jeff and the Soccer Saturday boys continue to be surprised by Lyle's "run up"... 
  • Kyle who?
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:
    RedChaser said:
    EE Aye, EE Aye, EE Aye' Oh , up the football league we go , when we win promotion, this is what we'll sing, we are Charlton, we are Charlton, Bowyer is our KING! 
    The first time I sung that, it was "...Saunders is our KING!" :smile:

Now it would be "...Saunders is inside".
    How old are you? He was talking about Ron Saunders.

Now I have a question. I remember my wife always called Ron Saunders "Daddy Saunders", because with his paunch, greying hair and walking pace, he looked like a dad having a Sunday kick-about with the kids. Was that just her nickname or did others call him that?
  • Simply a great away day, fantastic atmosphere, which was the home team again?

Bloody loved it, Gallager just gets better all the time, i'm not getting carried away but....... a real team/unit, rode our luck a little at the beginning but second half......should have had at least one if not two more.

• Dazzler21 said:
    Kyle who?
    Kyle Naylor. OBVIOUSLY.
  • Oggy Red said:
    RedChaser said:
    EE Aye, EE Aye, EE Aye' Oh , up the football league we go , when we win promotion, this is what we'll sing, we are Charlton, we are Charlton, Bowyer is our KING! 

Now I have a question. I remember my wife always called Ron Saunders "Daddy Saunders", because with his paunch, greying hair and walking pace, he looked like a dad having a Sunday kick-about with the kids. Was that just her nickname or did others call him that?
    Not heard him called that, either as a player or manager.
  • Oggy Red said:
    RedChaser said:

Not heard him called that, either as a player or manager.
    Agreed, doesn't ring any bells with me either.
  • edited August 2019
    Geez, never realised before that Pearce could play football. How much would Chelsea need for Gallagher? Class from both midgets. Great game. Could have been five.
  • What a day, just back.

this team show unbelievable character, never stop running and have a great deal of ability, Bowyer really has started something, which I truely hope he is given the tools he needs to finish.

Excellent support from our fans never stopped singing all game, loved the fuck the EFL song.

Every player gave everything they had and we ran out deserved winners.

All I would say is what an unbelievably bad ref, he was as bad as I've seen at this level.

• Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    One more stat I absolutely love too...

Bowyer has been in charge of 67 league and play-off games.

We have lost 16 of them. Only one of the 16 we have lost by more than 1 goal, that was away at Scunthorpe in the crazy 5-3 last season. The remaining 15 have included eight 1-0’s, six 2-1’s, and one 3-2.

Therefore, not only has our record under Bowyer been phenomenal, but this further proves that he has made us competitive in every game we play. That is some going.
    Its why I always smile when people think we're going to suffer a thrashing when they predict scores in the Match Preview's

Aint gonna happen under Bowyer and I pity the team in the dressing room if ever it did!!
  • No mentions about Michael Morrison - did he get a reception/acknowledge our fans, how did he play ?

What a result, what a team Bows, Jacko and Gallen are
  • edited August 2019
    I thought Reading were decent first half - two or three tricky players and reminded me of playing Brighton away a few years back. To be fair, they deserved to go in a goal up. Second half we deserved to score at least two. Reading seemed to have no plan B. They always wanted to get the ball wide and we were dealing with their crosses comfortably enough - they were totally unwilling to shoot from outside the box, when they had a fair number of opportunities to. 

Our midfield took control and they started to look poor. To me, that was a stand up and take notice away performance. Special mention to Lyle who put in a real shift - It was very important to the way we played and I was glad he got a goal to show for it. Their defenders really struggled with Aneke. It was a bit like watching 11 year olds when you have a player who is twice as big and strong as the other players.
  • Another Saturday night in dreamland. Enjoying every minute of the ride that LB and the team are taking us on.
    Second in the table - WOW.

• Listened to BBC Berks on way home for take on game from Reading angle. No dispute Charlton was best team they’d seen and deserved to win. Didn’t think their team played badly, Charlton just better. One caller ridiculed by presenter for saying Charlton were lucky.

Their manager waffled for ten minutes about his team needing to stop making mistakes. Reminded me of garbage Pardew used to spout. Generally seemed shell shocked they had lost given the £15m of talent they’ve just bought.