Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reading v Charlton | Sat 31 Aug 2019 | 3pm KO | POST MATCH Thread

Comments

• Options
    Win was also vital today as being sensible, i can't help think we need as many points as possible by the Wigan game as after that things get a lot lot tougher.
  • Options
    Is that 5 goals on the spin from Taylor? 
  • Options
    Win was also vital today as being sensible, i can't help think we need as many points as possible by the Wigan game as after that things get a lot lot tougher.
    Its frustrating yet despite our good start we could still lose our next two and end up in 13th
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Shite ref, dubious pen no doubt, and a very lucky deflection by the sound of it. Think i'll pop over to the Reading forum for some normality. 
    Think Aneke got fouled 3 times in the build up to the pen. It was a case of take your pick for the ref.
    Agreed, stonewall penalty and he actually tried to stay on his feet. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No. Conor scored last game. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Its frustrating yet despite our good start we could still lose our next two and end up in 13th
    What makes our points total huge and how impressive this run is...is the fact that not many teams will go on a run like we are....everybody will beat everybody in this league and I don’t think there is a stand out team this season who will run away with it.
  • Options
    This was my home banker

Wow!
    Why.... ... ...? We played Reading not Man City mind you screwed me to . I has us to win 2-1
  • Options
    Brilliant performance. Only slight concern is we missed a couple of extremely good chances like we did vs Forest. Earnt ourselves the penalty this week though.

First half was much more scrappy. Not sure what he did, but Bowyer tweaked something at half time then it was one way traffic. Leko’s goal was a lucky deflection but we absolutely deserved to win.

A week before the season, I thought we’d have 3 points or less from August. Instead it’s 14, unbeaten, and clear second in the table. Bowyer and Jacko are geniuses. To gel that team together, with 14 new signings, lots of whom were last minute, and to have them playing so fluently from the get go. Great stuff. Theoretically we should get better yet as well. Trying to keep my feet on the ground, but the longer it goes on the more we look like the real deal. We can play the pretty stuff but also battle away with the best of them.

13% of the season gone, 28% of the way to safety. 
    From 10th August, good to see we now agree :)

Scoham said:
    Bowyer is carrying on from last season and he’s building something special. We will compete in this league. We have a team that won’t give up. He knows what you need in a winning team. It’s shows in the type of midfielders he brings in - energetic, mobile, skilful and aggressive. Gallagher looks a great prospect and I can’t wait to see Field and Kayal. We had promising starts under Peeters and Luzon, but I can feel this is very different.

We won today with Aneke coming off the bench, Field, Kayal and Morgan not even in the squad. We’re looking to add a right back and hopefully Hemed or another striker.

Opponents and their fans will underestimate us. Clubs with recent Prem history in particular will expect to dominate possession. Their fans will get frustrated because we’ll fight for every ball and nick goals against the run of play. Even if they do control the game we’ll find ways into games, we have players who will create chances.

Our goals today were the type of goals we were scoring throughout last season -

Taylor’s a quick attack from the back. We’ll catch teams out when space opens up like that. Bowyer teams pass out from the back, but they also know when to go more direct and up the tempo. Nice to see long pass from Leko set up the goal, a player who you might imagine gets his head down and runs rather than picks out a ball like that. Brilliant to see Taylor score, especially like that after all that’s happened recently.

Watch Aneke’s in full if you can. Williams drives into the box to try to create a cut back. It doesn’t come off so Cullen tried exactly the same thing and it came off. It’s clearly a way Bowyer wants them to attack because it’s so effective. We scored goals and won penalties doing just that all season long last year. We have midfielders and attackers who can pass and dribble their way into those positions. One reason it’s so dangerous is that you don’t need top strikers to score those chances. It’s about getting those players into the right areas and reacting before the opposition do.

Gallagher’s goal came from a set piece. From stats I remember seeing late last season we perhaps surprisingly were one of the top scorers in the league from either corners or set pieces.

Powell was the best manager since Curbs and did a very good job for us, but Bowyer has overtaken him. He’s a genius and is our best chance of experiencing that sort of success again. We’re competitive but play good football and it’s far better than any of that tippy tappy stuff the likes of Robinson and Peeters tried to play.

We’re going over achieve in terms of our budget. Maybe that will only mean lower mid table but whatever happens it’ll be a season to remember. Whether you’re going to games or watching streams do whatever you can to make sure you see as much as you can. It might even mean the play-offs again. With the madness of the past five years the chances of another bizarre and ridiculous twist in which Roland owns the club as we march back into the Premier League with a tiny budget can’t be completely ruled out.
    An uncharacteristic excitable post from you @Scoham. Hard to strongly disagree with it though. Genius might be a bit strong just yet, but Bowyer is certainly very bloody good.

You’re bang on about playing style. I love watching us play. We play what I believe should be considered the modern English style. High tempo and committed but with good efficient passing and a focus on chance creation. We’re up there with 97/98 and the Parker/Jensen/Di Canio side in terms of entertainment. Powell, for all his achievements was a naturally conservative coach. He’d have switched Leko for a defensive player today and taken the point. Bowyer brought on Aneke and encouraged William’s forward and was rewarded handsomely. Might have backfired on another day but I want to see us trying to win, like most fans do. I’ll take the odd loss dong that, like I’ll take the odd iffy back pass trying to play good football out from defence. 

I’m not going to get too carried away yet re potential final league position, but we do appear to be carrying momentum and certainly aren’t going to be cut adrift in last place like our budget might suggest. Could be a fun season. 

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Uboat said:
    Hopefully we'll be 4 points ahead of Leeds going into the final game of the season. 
    Fixed it for you. :smile:

• Options
    I’m looking forward to the tough run of games even more now

unbelievable start and didn’t dream this would happen 
  • Options
    Great team performance, well-worked substitutions, 2 goals, including a trademark Taylor penalty, 2 excellent saves by Dillon: a fiver well spent!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Brilliant performance. Only slight concern is we missed a couple of extremely good chances like we did vs Forest. Earnt ourselves the penalty this week though.

First half was much more scrappy. Not sure what he did, but Bowyer tweaked something at half time then it was one way traffic. Leko’s goal was a lucky deflection but we absolutely deserved to win.

A week before the season, I thought we’d have 3 points or less from August. Instead it’s 14, unbeaten, and clear second in the table. Bowyer and Jacko are geniuses. To gel that team together, with 14 new signings, lots of whom were last minute, and to have them playing so fluently from the get go. Great stuff. Theoretically we should get better yet as well. Trying to keep my feet on the ground, but the longer it goes on the more we look like the real deal. We can play the pretty stuff but also battle away with the best of them.

13% of the season gone, 28% of the way to safety. 
    From 10th August, good to see we now agree :)

Scoham said:
    Bowyer is carrying on from last season and he’s building something special. We will compete in this league. We have a team that won’t give up. He knows what you need in a winning team. It’s shows in the type of midfielders he brings in - energetic, mobile, skilful and aggressive. Gallagher looks a great prospect and I can’t wait to see Field and Kayal. We had promising starts under Peeters and Luzon, but I can feel this is very different.

We won today with Aneke coming off the bench, Field, Kayal and Morgan not even in the squad. We’re looking to add a right back and hopefully Hemed or another striker.

Opponents and their fans will underestimate us. Clubs with recent Prem history in particular will expect to dominate possession. Their fans will get frustrated because we’ll fight for every ball and nick goals against the run of play. Even if they do control the game we’ll find ways into games, we have players who will create chances.

Our goals today were the type of goals we were scoring throughout last season -

Taylor’s a quick attack from the back. We’ll catch teams out when space opens up like that. Bowyer teams pass out from the back, but they also know when to go more direct and up the tempo. Nice to see long pass from Leko set up the goal, a player who you might imagine gets his head down and runs rather than picks out a ball like that. Brilliant to see Taylor score, especially like that after all that’s happened recently.

Watch Aneke’s in full if you can. Williams drives into the box to try to create a cut back. It doesn’t come off so Cullen tried exactly the same thing and it came off. It’s clearly a way Bowyer wants them to attack because it’s so effective. We scored goals and won penalties doing just that all season long last year. We have midfielders and attackers who can pass and dribble their way into those positions. One reason it’s so dangerous is that you don’t need top strikers to score those chances. It’s about getting those players into the right areas and reacting before the opposition do.

Gallagher’s goal came from a set piece. From stats I remember seeing late last season we perhaps surprisingly were one of the top scorers in the league from either corners or set pieces.

Powell was the best manager since Curbs and did a very good job for us, but Bowyer has overtaken him. He’s a genius and is our best chance of experiencing that sort of success again. We’re competitive but play good football and it’s far better than any of that tippy tappy stuff the likes of Robinson and Peeters tried to play.

We’re going over achieve in terms of our budget. Maybe that will only mean lower mid table but whatever happens it’ll be a season to remember. Whether you’re going to games or watching streams do whatever you can to make sure you see as much as you can. It might even mean the play-offs again. With the madness of the past five years the chances of another bizarre and ridiculous twist in which Roland owns the club as we march back into the Premier League with a tiny budget can’t be completely ruled out.
    An uncharacteristic excitable post from you @Scoham. Hard to strongly disagree with it though. Genius might be a bit strong just yet, but Bowyer is certainly very bloody good.

You’re bang on about playing style. I love watching us play. We play what I believe should be considered the modern English style. High tempo and committed but with good efficient passing and a focus on chance creation. We’re up there with 97/98 and the Parker/Jensen/Di Canio side in terms of entertainment. Powell, for all his achievements was a naturally conservative coach. He’d have switched Leko for a defensive player today and taken the point. Bowyer brought on Aneke and encouraged William’s forward and was rewarded handsomely. Might have backfired on another day but I want to see us trying to win, like most fans do. I’ll take the odd loss dong that, like I’ll take the odd iffy back pass trying to play good football out from defence. 

I’m not going to get too carried away yet re potential final league position, but we do appear to be carrying momentum and certainly aren’t going to be cut adrift in last place like our budget might suggest. Could be a fun season. 

3 weeks is a long time in football. 
  • Options
    Great performance, on the pitch and off it, we were so assured 2nd half, LB and his team really do have us working well and together currently. I am just breathing in the heady heights of 2nd. 

Reading, souless ground in the middle of nowhere, angry random support but it has good points like lots of trains home. 

Cant wait for Wigan now

• Options
    Was a bus trashed by us?
  • Options
    Conceded 5 goals in 6 games - defence has done really well!
    Or even could say ..... conceded 0 goals in 2 games. :smile:

• Options
    I’m looking forward to the tough run of games even more now

unbelievable start and didn’t dream this would happen 
    Yup, I think teams are gonna be just as worried playing us at the moment. 
  • Options
    Players are new to this level so that is expected.
  • Options
    Crikey.

Are we going straight through the Championship?