Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Leeds United | Sat 28 Sep | 3pm KO | POST-MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Extract from OS of Bowyer's post match comments referring to today's gameplan:

"I work hard, I watched a lot of Leeds games, like I do every other team and I recognised that they struggle against teams that play with three at the back. They don’t create half as many chances as they do against teams that play with four at the back.

"My intention was to start with a back four at the beginning and really try and get after them and disturb them if you like and that seemed to work but I always knew that after 20 minutes we was going to go back to a back three and then maybe try and soak up a bit of pressure and hit them on the break. We did that and all my plans worked today."

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d8f95bf1d60d/bowyer-on-returning-to-winning-ways-against-leeds-dillon-phillips-performance

I've really missed these little bits from Bowyer after the game

Certainly proves he's no chancer in the game!!
  • Options
    great result today.
    My only concern is that we only had 25 per cent possession , at home, when effectively we have a premiership quality midfield, Cullen (West Ham), Gallagher (Chelsea),Williams (Palace),Pratley (various prem teams?).
    None of then have consistent prem experience 
  • Options
    Kayal update - he was in reception area of hotel I was staying at as we were checking out. He "hopes to play soon". A bit vague for my liking!
  • Options
    Kayal update - he was in reception area of hotel I was staying at as we were checking out. He "hopes to play soon". A bit vague for my liking!
    Barring the delight of re-signing Cullen and Williams, Kayal and Hemed were the 2 signings which excited me most in the summer.
    Guys, it's fucking October on Tuesday - any chance of a meaningful contribution anytime soon?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Bowyer's tongue was firmly in his cheek when he acclaimed a "deserved" victory.  Leeds set the pattern of the game just 25 seconds from kick-off by sweeping down the wing and missing contact with the cross by an inch.  They had 72 per cent of possession and 19 shots, compared to our three.

In the absence of an attacking force - without Taylor we are shadows - this was a game in which to admire resolute, last-ditch defending.  Phillips made smart saves, and after a rocky start Sarr was imperious.  Gallagher was the star of a retreating midfield, and Bonne was more agile than Aneke.  Leeds' flank play is thrilling: overlapping moves cleaving space for dangerous crosses - and surprisingly wayward finishing.

When five minutes of added time was announced to gasps of trepidation, my sanguine neighbour in the Covered End opined: "Well, we might scrape a draw."  A quarter of the season gone, and we are two points from the top.  Bring it on.   
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Bowyer's tongue was firmly in his cheek when he acclaimed a "deserved" victory.  Leeds set the pattern of the game just 25 seconds from kick-off by sweeping down the wing and missing contact with the cross by an inch.  They had 72 per cent of possession and 19 shots, compared to our three.

In the absence of an attacking force - without Taylor we are shadows - this was a game in which to admire resolute, last-ditch defending.  Phillips made smart saves, and after a rocky start Sarr was imperious.  Gallagher was the star of a retreating midfield, and Bonne was more agile than Aneke.  Leeds' flank play is thrilling: overlapping moves cleaving space for dangerous crosses - and surprisingly wayward finishing.

When five minutes of added time was announced to gasps of trepidation, my sanguine neighbour in the Covered End opined: "Well, we might scrape a draw."  A quarter of the season gone, and we are two points from the top.  Bring it on.   
    I think it's a fifth of the season that's gone. 11 or 12 games is roughly a quarter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Barring the delight of re-signing Cullen and Williams, Kayal and Hemed were the 2 signings which excited me most in the summer.
    Guys, it's fucking October on Tuesday - any chance of a meaningful contribution anytime soon?
    After all the big ups from Brighton mates I am a bit disappointed but give them time and hopefully they will both come good.
  • Options
    On the way to the game I got odds of 5/1 for a straight win from sky bet 
    But I'm realy ashamed to say I cashed out on 91 mins
    Me of little faith

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    _MrDick said:
    I'm loving this picture. Is he singing along with the Cupboard Endchoir?

Image may contain 1 person outdoor
    He is a bit of a celebrity Leeds fan, goes home and away but is retiring before the end of the year.  His owner will be getting a new companion and will hopefully be able to still enjoy her football. 
    I did hear a dog barking....just assumed it was a police dog though.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    _MrDick said:

He is a bit of a celebrity Leeds fan, goes home and away but is retiring before the end of the year.  His owner will be getting a new companion and will hopefully be able to still enjoy her football. 
    Bet he was annoyed when Leeds sold Kemar Woofe this summer
    Yeh he'd have been absolutely barking 😉.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    _MrDick said:

Bet he was annoyed when Leeds sold Kemar Woofe this summer
    Yeh he'd have been absolutely barking 😉.
    Not to mention he'd have given Bielsa plenty of stick!!
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leeds won't be getting rid of Bielsa any time soon and I'm really not sure Bowyer would go to Brentford
    This is Bielsa’s last year at Leeds if they don’t go up. He almost left at the end of last season. He is on a crazy £6M per season in The Championship and the club can’t keep that up much longer if they don’t get promoted.
    They could do with putting that money towards a decent centre forward
  • Options

Leuth said:
    Leeds won't be getting rid of Bielsa any time soon and I'm really not sure Bowyer would go to Brentford
    This is Bielsa’s last year at Leeds if they don’t go up. He almost left at the end of last season. He is on a crazy £6M per season in The Championship and the club can’t keep that up much longer if they don’t get promoted.
    They could do with putting that money towards a decent centre forward

After the online video highlights there are dozens of comments from Leeds fans bemoaning their wasteful finishing.  Good to see that Bowyer got an ovation from the away end after the game; last week he spoke warmly of his six successful years with the club.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wow. Great defensive performance  though we did have the run of the ball today, we score a lucky goal whereas 3 times the ball bobbled across our goal without going in .

Shocking lack of cutting edge from Leeds.

I actually thought Cullen was MOTM as he was everywhere today. Solly was excellent  as were Lockyer and Pratley. Dillon's keeping was excellent but his kicking and distribution terrible, poor game management at the end the way he kept giving Leeds back the ball 
    I am a big fan of Cullen but felt he wasn't quite at the races in the first half compared to what we have come to expect from him. I felt he was much better in the second half. Hence I marked Lockyer and Gallagher higher. Whatever, the whole team's performance as a unit was brilliant. The rearguard actions in the games against both Brentford and Leeds have been tense but hugely entertaining. When you see the amount of effort being put in, it is quite special.
  • Options

These guys were simply outstanding at the weekend! Here's your latest EFL Team of the Week...

#EFL | #TOTW
  • Options
    It seems strange to put League 2 and National League players in the same team as those of the Championship.

But then obviously nothing to do with our playing Chuks Aneke and Macauly Bonne ..... (!)  :smile:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    _MrDick said:

Looks like the pic was taken when our goal went in. “Nooooooooooo!”
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    It seems strange to put League 2 and National League players in the same team as those of the Championship.

But then obviously nothing to do with our playing Chuks Aneke and Macauly Bonne ..... (!)  :smile:

What National League players? 😂
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

What National League players? 😂
    Oops, you're right!

I saw Leyton Orient and thought National League. Duh!

Anyway, I was at the same time trying to make the point that we had last year's NL and League 2 players in our Championship team.
  • Options
    On Friday I had a long operation to replace a set of bypasses. I was in intensive care on Saturday, but somebody whispered “1-0 gewonnen “ in my ear.” I’m now looking out of the hospital window at the sunshine and the Vienna Woods. Ain’t life great!
    Good luck with the recovery. That reminds me of the Guy who had the first successful heart transplant  in the UK. It was big news at the time (Keith Castle ?). It must has been happening on a Saturday afternoon and he was a Fulham fan and when he came round his first words were did Fulham win ? Half time they were 3-0 down and the jokes were they wouldn’t tell him in case he had a heart attack. They came back and won 4-3.