Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Leeds United | Sat 28 Sep | 3pm KO | POST-MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2019
    On the Bonne/OG debate...we’ve got good in-house pitchside footage from behind the goal which shows the final touch is off Bonne’s back. No danger of it going down as an own-goal. 
    Would love to see that footage to end the debate because it doesn't look like it took a touch from Bonne in the replay. It's clear to me that it bobbles in off of Stuart Dallas' right hip - look at his reaction, that's the hands-on-head despair of someone who's scored an OG.

I want it to be Bonne's goal because he worked so hard and deserves it but...

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Extract from OS of Bowyer's post match comments referring to today's gameplan:

"I work hard, I watched a lot of Leeds games, like I do every other team and I recognised that they struggle against teams that play with three at the back. They don’t create half as many chances as they do against teams that play with four at the back.

"My intention was to start with a back four at the beginning and really try and get after them and disturb them if you like and that seemed to work but I always knew that after 20 minutes we was going to go back to a back three and then maybe try and soak up a bit of pressure and hit them on the break. We did that and all my plans worked today."

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d8f95bf1d60d/bowyer-on-returning-to-winning-ways-against-leeds-dillon-phillips-performance

Nice one Lee
  • Options
    Agree Croydon & Henry Irving. Leeds are a class act & again kudos to good away support. I think this team w/o Taylor can hold their own as long as everyone stays fit. COYR
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    A couple of points:-

Lockyer's pointless booking. He was trying to influence the ref to show red. And it was a red.
    Pratley foul, I thought he got the ball and player fell over his leg.
    Naby misplaced passes were forward first time balls which could of sent us on a counter. Take a touch and chance is gone.
    Chuks is the nearest we have to Lyle, style-wise but his failure to chase down balls is why he will always be a sub.
  • Options
    Wish I could have watched today, did not see that coming. Unpredictability is what makes the championship so great!! Roll on Wednesday!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First game of the season for me. Not a bad one to start off with!

Everything already said but have to say Solly, Lockyer and Gallagher were absolutely immense today. The rest weren't far behind.

2 things did make me laugh. First time I have seen Aneke in the flesh. Blimey, he's a lump and surely a stone overweight. Watching him trying to outrun a defender was amusing!

Secondly, I couldn't help but laugh at the Leeds supporter who had obviously tried to make a quick getaway in his car (complete with Leeds sticker in the back window and scarf on parcel shelf) down Harvey Gardens and got stuck outside the shop when the crowds presumably started coming out. Poor sod had to sit there and be abused by hundreds walking past! I suspect Charlton may not now be one of his favourite teams!
    My mate tells me he nearly ran him down!
  • Options
    Soly and Lockyer amazing. 

Lockyer showing plenty of leadership as well which I liked. Though he did (rightly) lose his head at Bamfords "tackle" on Gallagher.

Pratley organising. I could name them all.
  • Options

Everything already said but have to say Solly, Lockyer and Gallagher were absolutely immense today. The rest weren't far behind.

2 things did make me laugh. First time I have seen Aneke in the flesh. Blimey, he's a lump and surely a stone overweight. Watching him trying to outrun a defender was amusing!

Secondly, I couldn't help but laugh at the Leeds supporter who had obviously tried to make a quick getaway in his car (complete with Leeds sticker in the back window and scarf on parcel shelf) down Harvey Gardens and got stuck outside the shop when the crowds presumably started coming out. Poor sod had to sit there and be abused by hundreds walking past! I suspect Charlton may not now be one of his favourite teams!
    What was your mate driving then, a tank  ;)
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Walking down the road!
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    RedChaser said:

Walking down the road!
    Ah right 😌
  • Options
    Do not play this victory down because of stats etc people, they are thee best team in the league and anyone who finishes above them will win the league minimum second.  Plus we were missing our talisman who actually might of made it more comfortable.

What a win, typical bowyer performance again for the occasion, he just doesn’t disappoint and gets it right when it matters.  MOM tough but for me Leko edges it, he pretty much collapsed at FT run himself into the ground and showed glimpses of really class.  Although Gallagher and Lockyer deserve praise too.

Said I’d be happy with three points from the next three before KO, anything is a bonus now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The guy who was driving totally knew what he was doing - car windows wound down & a "bring it on " attitude. 

Loads of Charlton fans giving him & his passenger some friendly abuse especially when he couldn't drive any further, surrounded by our lot & with a couple of policemen approaching. I bet he was thinking he'd be lauding it following another 3 points for his team.....lol.

One young man, who shall remain nameless, took his wad of chewing gum out of his mouth & lobbed it through the window onto the driver's lap. 

Bet the Leeds guys wished their strikers had such good aim today ! 
  • Options
    Fantastic block by Sam Field. 
    Cruyff turn by Naby when last man.
    Brentford all over again. But after the disappointment of the last two games, we got our fighting spirit back and a massive 3 points. 
    The best two teams at the valley so far has been Brentford and Leeds, but neither had a cutting edge on the day.
    No weak links today but our final ball needs to improve, both Leko and Aneke wasted break away final passes. The Valley was rocking and our squad is decent with only the two Israeli players to join the party.

Smashing day to be at the Valley when we make more noise than dirty Leeds.

• Options
    Best things about today; Macauley bonne, Conor and josh ( everyone had a good game but these two are really really good and we are so fortunate to have them) worst things; chuks didn’t want to play. Leeds are a bloody good footballing team. Great day and a famous win. 
  • Options
    Great result, great effort, Galagher Prateley, Sarr, Solly, and everyone else put in amighty effort.
    Tough watching the last 10 minutes.
    I must confess - during injury time I was still saying to my self 'well they will equalize but we're great chance for a point'..

COYR
  • Options
    One of those where you were constantly saying they'll score here. 

Incredible defending. Worth the nightmare journey up, and now I have to get a replacement bus to Basingstoke

COYR
  • Options
    I don't really like this guy.

He’s got a point though...
    But it only takes 1 shot to score 1 goal. We were just more clinical. 

LB missed a trick. If I were him I'd reply back...." I think he's interpreter must have misheard him as surely the team that wins is the better team....."