Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• Options
    I think a few people need to calm down. Our new owners have a very rich man behind them but we don’t know what our budget is and Bowyer/Gallen don’t strike me as a pair that will spunk money for the sake of it.

I think it’ll be a bit by bit process of adding cover and quality in key areas. New contracts and making loans as perms will be what January is all about, then in the summer we start again with better loan offers and a couple of real quality signings.
    Does also depend on the ambitions of the owner though... Its his club at the end of the day
    If he wants us competing with Man City eventually then I imagine he'll want money to be spunked
    If he's happy be able to compete in the Championship on our own before making a decent attempt at the Premier League then I'd agree
  • Options
    Jonsson Clarke-Harris wouldnt be a bad shout either - Wasnt he another we were interested in over the summer?
    Get Tom Lockyer on the blower to him to persuade him
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I think a few people need to calm down. Our new owners have a very rich man behind them but we don’t know what our budget is and Bowyer/Gallen don’t strike me as a pair that will spunk money for the sake of it.

I think it’ll be a bit by bit process of adding cover and quality in key areas. New contracts and making loans as perms will be what January is all about, then in the summer we start again with better loan offers and a couple of real quality signings.
    Does also depend on the ambitions of the owner though... Its his club at the end of the day
    If he wants us competing with Man City eventually then I imagine he'll want money to be spunked
    If he's happy be able to compete in the Championship on our own before making a decent attempt at the Premier League then I'd agree
    That's the million dollar question, or the billion dollar one.   I think it's safe to say they aren't buying us to be a "championship club with Premier league ambition".  If they want us competing at the very highest level, they will want to get there ASAP.   That means a top half Premier league finish as quickly as 2022.  If that's what they want it won't be built on league 1 gambles.  
  • Options

Competing with the likes of Reading, Hull and Blackburn is a more pressing priority! Survival is what matters most this season especially as with all the injuries things will get worse before they get better!
    Oh completely agree... Dont think the owners will approach January looking to spend quickly and so see if we can make a late push for the Play-Offs - that aim could require a number of players and to signing them halfway through the season could upset the team unity that Bowyer has built this season and so backfire - My Q was more of the longer term aims from the owners, the takeover press conference (I presume there will be one) will be interesting
  • Options
    Toneys goal in the FA cup was ridiculous. Getting him and Leko on perms with Taylor signed up would be brilliant. Those 3 and Bonne as our 4 strikers is very good for this level 
  • Options
    I think West brom will want a fair slug for Leko, probably 4-5 mill - he is very highly rated there.
    If West Brom think anyone will pay 4-5 million for Leko they are kidding themselves. 
    Far better players than him out there for that sort of money. 
    He's still only 20, has top flight experience, is playing regularly in the championship and has played at every youth age group for England up to U20.
    I don't think 4-5m is an unreasonable fee for them to ask in todays market when you consider Peterborough are asking £12m+ for a guy who aside from 2 games for Newcastle has never played higher than league one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leko is frustrating but much better in every department than Grant at the same age.
  • Options
    Toneys goal in the FA cup was ridiculous. Getting him and Leko on perms with Taylor signed up would be brilliant. Those 3 and Bonne as our 4 strikers is very good for this level 
    Completely agree.
  • Options
    Kind of hoping we don't go bonkers in the transfer market.  A mid table wage budget and some money to convert loans into permanent signings.  Additions to the squad to fill some gaps (left back and centre back a priority, we've been lucky with injuries so far in this area) and new contracts for key players and staff would make us feel like a proper, stable club again.  Leave all the talk of building a promotion capable squad to the summer, lets just put down some foundations and make sure we stay in this league.

For this season yes we just absolutely have to stay in this division.

From next summer onwards - sod that.

You only live once. I want to live the dream I'm not afraid to admit it. Real life Champ Manager - I want our turn buying the best players and being a footballing superpower!
  • Options
    edited December 2019
  • Options
    All signings need to be as good or better than our top 4 or 5 players - taylor Cullen and Williams secured, an aerially dominant centre half, a striker to replace and better hemed and a replacement loan for kyal -  that will do it
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Leko is frustrating but much better in every department than Grant at the same age.
    I disagree. Considering Grant is only about 18 months or so older than Leko, and Grant has scored 38 goals in his last 75 league appearances, dating back to his loan at Crawley in 2018. I assure you Grant is far, far better than Leko in finishing and is quicker than him too.
    I will stand corrected but I also remember poor Grant shot of all confidence and hiding from the ball . He only reached hero status the same season he left. Think Leko is better than I ever saw Grant prior to his last season with us. Not that it matters that much of course. 
  • Options
    Sam Cosgrove was a hope of mine for Jan. Still think he could do well for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The priority is as follows:

1. Bowyer contract
    2. Taylor contract without a release clause
    3. Cullen on a Perm
    4. A decent left-sided centre back
    5. Leko/Field on a Perm
    6. Some proper Wing Backs
    7. Another striker on loan
  • Options
    Not us but...
    Aston Villa have been linked with a £10m January move for Millwall's English winger Jed Wallace, 25. (Birmingham Mail)

• Options
    I think we will go back in for Herbie Kane. No insider knowledge, just a gut feeling. I know Bowyer really likes him and he will surely be available.
  • Options
    Not a rumour but a cheaper option than Toney is Freddie Lapado, and we already have his kid brother. 
  • Options
    Good post Paddy one thing I can’t see though is 5m for Cullen, if he’s out of contract in a few months time, surely closer to 2/3 million.
  • Options
    Good post Paddy one thing I can’t see though is 5m for Cullen, if he’s out of contract in a few months time, surely closer to 2/3 million.
    I may have overestimated, given it's the Championship and not the Premiership, to be fair. You're probably right in that it would be closer to this sort of mark - but then I guess it might be partially offset by Cullen asking for a little more money if he knows the deal is a bit cut-price?

Even so, let's say it's the bottom end at £2m - still looking at an outlay of £12m to commit to four people (Bowyer, Cullen, Leko, Taylor) through the end of 2020/21 (I wrote the post in the context of FFP to an extent).
  • Options
    Havn’t West Ham got a one year option on his contract ? They won’t let him walk for nothing.