Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• I'd like to see us build a squad in January for a future promotion rather than more loan players.

A LCB is a must as I don't think Sarr or Pearce are consistent enough for championship football.

We also need a defensive holding midfielder like Pratley but one who we can build a side around for the next few years 
  • I'd like to see us build a squad in January for a future promotion rather than more loan players.

A LCB is a must as I don't think Sarr or Pearce are consistent enough for championship football.

We also need a defensive holding midfielder like Pratley but one who we can build a side around for the next few years 
    Sign up Sam Field then as think Bowyer said that he'll be back before the end of Christmas

The problem with football finances at the moment means that building a team over three or four years capable of getting into the PL is very difficult and expensive with the certain knowledge that most of that squad will not cut it in the PL. certainly try and get a core group but I think smart loans are also very important. Look at Cullen for example.
  • I’d be a surprised if a Premier League team is after Taylor, not because I don’t believe he could potentially perform at that level, but because the Championship is the highest level he’s played at and he has only a handful of appearances there - not a ton of track record for those clubs to be going on. He’d be a cheap gamble for someone like Burnley though. I suspect it’s just agent talk but if it’s not he has to take it, another chance to play top flight football and benefit from its financial rewards is probably not going to come along again at his age. 
  • iaitch said:
    That  would be some rise for Bonne, National League to Premier League in six months.

Leicester had some success with plucking a striker out of non-league a few years ago...
  • Why would forest want Taylor? He hasn’t scored since September 😬
  • What you put them links up for if Roland sees them he’ll want another £10 million 
  • iaitch said:
    That  would be some rise for Bonne, National League to Premier League in six months.

Leicester had some success with plucking a striker out of non-league a few years ago...
    True, plucked him for £1 million.
  • iaitch said:

Played in the Championship for a season or two first though
  • edited December 2019
    iaitch said:

He didn't go straight to the Premier League though, he had two seasons in the Championship first.
  • Sponsored links:

• iaitch said:

He didn't go straight to the Premier League though, he had two seasons in the Championship first.
    That'll be us and Bonne in a couple years.
  • Bromley interested in taking a couple of U23s on loan.
    Even Non-League teams are trying to pinch players that we need
    Even Non-League teams are trying to pinch players that we need
    The success of Alfie Doughy, for both team and himself, makes the loans good moves for everyone.

And players can be loaned and recalled outside the windows.
    Hopefully they are interested in Pearce as well. I’ve decided he is the new whipping boy. 
    They should target Jordan Ibe, he seems to like driving around the area!
    Hopefully they are interested in Pearce as well. I’ve decided he is the new whipping boy. 
    I hope not, as he's been a proper stalwart for us.

But right now, he seems to be showing a vulnerability in his game .... but despite Pratley in front of him, he's frequently getting drawn out of position and exposed. That might well be because our makeshift midfield is so over run.

Definitely need another mobile dominant and aggressive CB in the squad though.

• edited December 2019
    Oggy Red said:
    Bromley interested in taking a couple of U23s on loan.

But right now, he seems to be showing a vulnerability in his game .... but despite Pratley in front of him, he's frequently getting drawn out of position and exposed. That might well be because our makeshift midfield is so over run.

He has Definitely been that. I just feel he isn’t up to Championship standard. Wigan probably felt the same as they sold him immediately after getting promotion. I don’t have any real problem with his lack of pace, what really gets my goat is why he feels the constant need to have a hand full of opponents shirts all the time. A good leader and a bloke who you would want in the trenches with you. He does need to be replaced now, not with Sarr though - we need a new, better version of Pearce in January. 
  • Oggy Red said:

He has Definitely be that. I just feel he isn’t up to Championship standard. Wigan probably felt the same as they sold him immediately after getting promotion. I don’t have any real problem with his lack of pace, what really gets my goat is why he feels the constant need to have a hand full of opponents shirts all the time. A good leader and a bloke who you would want in the trenches with you. He does need to be replaced now, not with Sarr though - we need a new, better version of Pearce in January. 
    Yep, I agree with all that, Ricky.

Pearce's biggest problem I reckon, he's got slow feet and no acceleration ...... he doesn't cope with attackers running at him; or in the box, when they quickly turn and shift in front of him, as he loses them - hence the shirt grabbing or arms round the opponent.

It's not his fault. But Championship forwards are too quick for him.

• edited December 2019
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

He has Definitely be that. I just feel he isn’t up to Championship standard. Wigan probably felt the same as they sold him immediately after getting promotion. I don’t have any real problem with his lack of pace, what really gets my goat is why he feels the constant need to have a hand full of opponents shirts all the time. A good leader and a bloke who you would want in the trenches with you. He does need to be replaced now, not with Sarr though - we need a new, better version of Pearce in January. 
    Yep, I agree with all that, Ricky.

Pearce's biggest problem I reckon, he's got slow feet and no acceleration ...... he doesn't cope with attackers running at him; or in the box, when they quickly turn and shift in front of him, as he loses them - hence the shirt grabbing or arms round the opponent.

It's not his fault. But Championship forwards are too quick for him.

Hence now maybe we can see the reason why Wigan sold him when they got promotion to the Championship?
  • Sponsored links:

• Pearce was fine last night, I don't get the critisise.  We defended pretty comfortably but for one Solly error and 3-4 from Sarr which Lockyer/Pearce had to cover
    I could not agree more. Solly cocked up, but the defence does not get the protection from the midfield because of the injuries.

You can’t look at one area of a team in isolation.
  • Redrobo said:
    Pearce was fine last night, I don't get the critisise.  We defended pretty comfortably but for one Solly error and 3-4 from Sarr which Lockyer/Pearce had to cover
    I could not agree more. Solly cocked up, but the defence does not get the protection from the midfield because of the injuries.

That’s true but Sarr and Pearce have also shown they are not quite up to regular Championship football. If we persist with one of them alongside Lockyer then don’t complain when we go down. 
  • Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Pearce was fine last night, I don't get the critisise.  We defended pretty comfortably but for one Solly error and 3-4 from Sarr which Lockyer/Pearce had to cover

That’s true but Sarr and Pearce have also shown they are not quite up to regular Championship football. If we persist with one of them alongside Lockyer then don’t complain when we go down. 
    But that is not true.

When we had a full squad we were firmly in the playoffs and our goals against was very good. The defence personnel has not really taken any big hits, it has been the midfield, which kinda proves my point.
    But how many goals are because if individual errors. Yes our midfield is weak at the minute and when the midfielders of the opposition are breaking free it’s causing issues which the defence cannot be blamed for. 

But another way of looking at it is that our midfield were playing well and actually hiding the truth, that our defence isn’t that strong. 

The bottom line is that some of the defenders have played poorly. That cannot be entirely blamed on injuries to the midfield. Purrington in particular hasn’t had a decent game for a while now. 
  • edited December 2019
    Jason Pearce

1. Defends too deep so team harder to link with midfield
    2. May beat Rojo on a footrace because latter is hungover (24/7)
    3. Octopus defending.
    4. Poor passing, few forward, fewer finding man.
    5. Dumped by every side winning promotion to Champ
    6. Barely more than six foot, doubt he'd have done better on Smith assault. Struggles against big physical forwards.

• IR94 said:
    Jason Pearce

1. Defends too deep so team harder to link with midfield
    2. May beat Rojo on a footrace because latter is hungover (24/7)
    3. Octopus defending.
    4. Poor passing, few forward, fewer finding man.
    5. Dumped by every side winning promotion to Champ
    6. Barely more than six foot, doubt he'd have done better on Smith assault. Struggles against big physical forwards.

not sure the part about struggling against big physical forwards is true, he had a great battle with Mitrovic, its the quick forwards that really show his weaknesses. 

Yes, and he tries to compensate by shirt pulling and wrestling which gives freee kicks in dangerous areas and even penalties.

But Sarr doesn't do enough of that and although he looks more comfortable on the ball than Pearce there are too many basic errors.

Including Oshilaja we have four central defenders so I'm not sure that another will be on the shopping list. If it is Preston have this German guy.....