Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• edited January 2020
  • Addickted said:
    Again from the Posh forum;

TFO will have been seeking a smallish transfer fee up front, with hefty add-ons should Charlton avoid the drop. However, combined this is likely to total £0.75m rather than £2.5M
    Is the release clause not £2.5M though which he says (in total) we've met?
  • Refuse to get too carried away until he signs on the dotted line but would be a great start to the esi era
  • Positives
    - We are targeting someone who is recognised as one of the best players in the league below
    - We clearly have cash to play with
    - He’s a very decent footballer, makes things happen

Negatives
    - Question mark around committment during games and big question marks around character off the pitch. Edgy ones with off field reputations have never really been a good fit at Charlton (Leon Clarke etc)
    - May be wrong, but doesn’t seem the type from what we have seen who would be top of our managers working wish list
    You on about Maddison?
  • Addickted said:
    Again from the Posh forum;

TFO will have been seeking a smallish transfer fee up front, with hefty add-ons should Charlton avoid the drop. However, combined this is likely to total £0.75m rather than £2.5M
    Is the release clause not £2.5M though which he says (in total) we've met?
    I guess we'd got an agreement in place to pay the £2.5m within an agreeable timeframe - Small payment up front with the rest later
  • I’m pleased we are looking at this player and this type of player. Probably gone a bit stale, isn’t going to cost the earth but neither will he come cheap, a number of clubs interested in him and could potentially push on with us next year.
    His apparent attitude issues don’t concern me as we know that under Bowyer such an approach will not be tolerated.
    Hopefully we will get it done and MS has similar positive relationships with other chairmen across the leagues.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not sure what to make of the moves for Toney and Maddison.

If both are being brought in as part of some extra muscle to keep us up - fine. But neither look like the type of long term acquisitions I'd expect from a new owner...or from a manager with cash to spend from a new owner.

Proven League One pro's are unlikely to get us promoted to the top flight IMO.
    You mean like Hamer, Kerms, Stephens, Konsa, Shelvey. 

We don’t have loads of quality players. A couple of our best are on loan too. If they are going to massively improve our team we should go in for them. I suspect both of these are: 
  • edited January 2020
    Dont think we will he buying Toney. I think they will want £4m + (the £13m was pie in the sky) and I dont think we would splash that amount of money. Might as well get Gnanduillet for £1m.
  • Dont think we will he buying Toney. I think they will want £4m + (the £13m was pie in the sky) and I dont think we would splash that amount of money. Might as well get Gnanduillet for £1m.
    Can’t see Toney happening.
    too much cash!
    Didn't sound like Southall wanted to spend that much on him judging by his interview on sky.
    He spoke about him, that made it sound like that was that. 
    Might surprise us yet though!!
  • kafka said:
    Dont think we will he buying Toney. I think they will want £4m + (the £13m was pie in the sky) and I dont think we would splash that amount of money. Might as well get Gnanduillet for £1m.
    If we can get Toney for £4m, all day long we should do it. 
    That’s what was rejected for Toney in the summer.
    Their chairman said it publicly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Maddison would be a very good signing. Toney would be an astonishing signing. If he is touted around by Peterborough then there will be quite a few Championship sides very interested. Strikers always attract a lot of attention.
  • Maddison is 100% not going to sign. MS is playing along to help push the price up for the teams actually interested...Toney could be more realistic pending the Lyle Taylor situation

• Scoham said:
    Surprised Birmingham are making bids for players given their problems with FFP
  • I hope I’m proved wrong but never in a million years will Peterborough sell their two best players in January. Maddison has only been allowed to go due to his contract situation, whereas Toney still has a while to go on his. DMAC is far too savvy to throw the chance of promotion away just for a pound note 
    Promotion is already unlikely.
    They are 9th and heading downwards.
    All the more reason not to sell your two best players in January 
    But that is what Peterborough do, buy cheap and sell on at a big profit.

Then they buy another youngster and hope to sell him on.

Good business model but must be frustrating as hell for their fans.
    Know that feeling well
    Lookie,konsa,grant,Gomez and aribo have all made the step up from league 1 
    I wonder from where??

• JonT_Abs said:
    Maddison is 100% not going to sign. MS is playing along to help push the price up for the teams actually interested...Toney could be more realistic pending the Lyle Taylor situation

He doesnt need to push the price up!!... Its a release clause!!
    But we don’t have to meet the release clause, we just need to make an acceptable offer. As others have said, £2.5m is a lot for an out of contract player, so they may just want to take the best offer, rather than have him walk in the summer when they can’t meet his wage demands. 

So maybe an upfront cash amount, add ons for us staying up, maybe for resigning him and a sell on clause might do it. 
  • edited January 2020
    TFO ?
    The Fat One (Barry Fry DOF?) TTFN 😉
  • Scoham said:
    Surprised Birmingham are making bids for players given their problems with FFP
    Their 16 year old wonderkid jude bellingham may leave for big bucks in the window
  • I hope I’m proved wrong but never in a million years will Peterborough sell their two best players in January. Maddison has only been allowed to go due to his contract situation, whereas Toney still has a while to go on his. DMAC is far too savvy to throw the chance of promotion away just for a pound note 
    Promotion is already unlikely.
    They are 9th and heading downwards.
    All the more reason not to sell your two best players in January 
    But that is what Peterborough do, buy cheap and sell on at a big profit.

Then they buy another youngster and hope to sell him on.

Good business model but must be frustrating as hell for their fans.
    Know that feeling well
    Lookie,konsa,grant,Gomez and aribo have all made the step up from league 1 
    I wonder from where??

When did Gomez play in league one?  I think it was Lookman's performance in the championship that got him his move tbh.

I think it depends what your expectations are.  I think Brentford fans might start getting the hump if they continue with there current policy for 3 or 4 more years and don't go up.  For example.  I think MOST of us would be happy with it for a few years but the SOME would get restless with "standing still".