Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• I hope I’m proved wrong but never in a million years will Peterborough sell their two best players in January. Maddison has only been allowed to go due to his contract situation, whereas Toney still has a while to go on his. DMAC is far too savvy to throw the chance of promotion away just for a pound note 
    Promotion is already unlikely.
    They are 9th and heading downwards.
    All the more reason not to sell your two best players in January 
  • I hope I’m proved wrong but never in a million years will Peterborough sell their two best players in January. Maddison has only been allowed to go due to his contract situation, whereas Toney still has a while to go on his. DMAC is far too savvy to throw the chance of promotion away just for a pound note 
    But that is what Peterborough do, buy cheap and sell on at a big profit.

Then they buy another youngster and hope to sell him on.

Good business model but must be frustrating as hell for their fans.
  • I noticed that watching one of Maddisons highlight reels he more or less put it on a plate for most of Marriots goals when he was at Peterborough. Clearly knows how to find the striker 
    January is a good time to buy players with 6 months left on their contract, but if they have longer you end up paying over the odds
  • Sign them both and make a late push for the playoffs 
  • edited January 2020
    Shocking knee slide :-(

On the upside he can whip in a cross and his free kick delivery is just what we need.

Whether that'll make up for the knee slide I'm not so sure.
  • edited January 2020
    I think the Posh chairman is a bit of a prick tease & is just making this public to alert other clubs.  Hope I'm wrong of course

Unlikely.

If we've had an offer accepted other clubs will only offer the same amount then it's up to the player. There won't be a bidding war if the release clause has already been met.

Also, any other interested clubs will already have been well aware, MM's agent would have made sure of that.

• Sponsored links:

• Southall very keen on Toney.

Just been on sky sports

Southall has been?
    But that is what Peterborough do, buy cheap and sell on at a big profit.

Then they buy another youngster and hope to sell him on.

Good business model but must be frustrating as hell for their fans.
    Agreed, but I think in this case Ivan Toney’s value is only going to increase with time. Peterborough sit 1 point outside the play-offs and have a real good shout at promotion. It makes both footballing and fiscal sense to hold on to him until the summer 
  • Any deal for Toney would include extras on appearances, promotion and sell ons. I doubt Peterborough would expect their valuation to be met straight away. 
  • edited January 2020
    Who knows, maybe if we genuinely did bid for Toney and it wasn't the potential Lyle money then we may match their price if it's in installments and clauses such as sell ons, if promoted etc. Southall may realise that Toneys stock is only gonna rise if his form carries on and with the off chance Peterborough go up then even more so. 

I personally think he is worth it and I don't care if we over pay for players. Better than selling our best players for a pittance and not reinvesting it 
  • I think the Posh chairman is a bit of a prick tease & is just making this public to alert other clubs.  Hope I'm wrong of course
    I think he is one of the most candid chairman that there is. If he is doing what you say then he is just trying to get the best deal he can - nothing wrong with that. But if the offer we have made matches the sale clause then it’s not like another team is going to offer more in the way of a transfer fee...wage maybe, but he has no control over that. 
  • Southall mini interview on again now
  • Mentions discussing 2 players with Peterboro chairman, about the vision for the club in the future, "who wouldn't want these 2 players playing for them, who wouldn't want Ivan Toney in their team, c'mon, really?"
  • sam3110 said:
    Mentions discussing 2 players with Peterboro chairman, about the vision for the club in the future, "who wouldn't want these 2 players playing for them, who wouldn't want Ivan Toney in their team, c'mon, really?"
    Slightly naughty that, imagine if the Brentford Chairman said something similar about Lyle or Dillon!
  • Only thing that worries me about getting Toney in during this window would be paying over the odds with the risk of going down. I don't mean to be pessimistic just trying to be objective. I think we will stay up but it is squeaky bum time until we string a few wins together. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Twitter link to the clip of Southall mentioning Toney, very cheeky 
    Southall loves to mention his "model". Unclear exactly what this model is. Buy up and coming talent to sell on?
  • i would guess that it means we are not after Toney, if we were that could be seen as unsettling their player and they could report us for that and Matt will be well aware of that.

• Nothing wrong with MS’s comments on another teams players when he’s an old mate of their owners and met him for a coffee a few days ago.
  • i would guess that it means we are not after Toney, if we were that could be seen as unsettling their player and they could report us for that and Matt will be well aware of that.

....or he can mention it as we have been given permission to speak to him?!?
  • Just waiting for Taylor to leave now.
  • Didn't MS say he was staying until the end of the season whatever. I know that can change but I assume we will need a terrific offer!

• Didn't MS say he was staying until the end of the season whatever. I know that can change but I assume we will need a terrific offer!

He said unless a silly offer is received.