Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• Posh fans don't seem to think we've offered 2.5 mill for him. It does seem a little on the high side for a player with 6 months on his deal. 
  • Okay, I’m going to be a miserable git and say I have slight misgivings about this one. The highlights reel looks great, but so did Frank Moussa’s, Ben Reeves’, and Otzumer’s.  It’s great to be able to spend a few notes at last, but is attacking midfield really a priority, unless Aneke and/or Otzumer are out for longer than we think? Is he better than Williams? I find that hard to believe. More importantly, though, is this talk of an attitude problem. The one thing that has kept us afloat is incredible team spirit. It could be very costly if that balance is upset. I hope Bowyer has done his homework on that part of Maddison. 

If B&G fancy him then I trust that, but could this be someone that wasn’t a primary target until MS made a suggestion based on his contacts with their chairman?

I guess I‘ve just seen too many “exciting” signings turn out to be crap, and too many “underwhelming” ones turn out to be good, to draw too many conclusions on how players have done elsewhere. All that counts is what they do here. 
    Not being funny but have you watched him play against us? He has always been a handful! His stats are second to none! I know what you are saying but I don’t really know what else you would expect?

Who would you go for instead? 
  • edited January 2020
    What sort of money do we think we'd have to shell out to P'boro for him? (Maddison)
    Southall already bought the coffees
    And a big piece of cake, and has ate it.
    Matt Southall's going back next week for another Coffee with his friend and is taking Oztumer, JFC, Chris Solly and Pearce with him ( all very good League 1 players now) and after leaving  3 million pound for the Posh Chairman he is coming back with Toney.

A good exchange is no robbery.

Liverpool getting Gomez for 3.5 million was.
  • Though bowyer said we weren’t going cash bang wallop in the transfer window 2.5 million for 3rd division player must be mad. 
  • I think that he looks like a decent player, certainly has very good stats. Bonne has been excellent for us and he came from far lower down the leagues with good stats. We can't complain about having too many midfielders because competition and squad depth is essential to be competitive in the championship. 

I'm just excited that we are paying a couple of million for a player rather than offloading our best players on the cheap! If there are 8 teams after him, as reported by the Peterborough Telegraph, that there must be something about him, also means that meeting the release clause is essential - lets hope nobody else wants to meet it and his wage demands are realistic. 

With the striker situation I'm glad we're not giving into Blackpool's transfer demands for a striker who is good but unproven and toward the end of his career. I hope that Bowyer and Gallen pull a rabbit out of the hat and we sign someone with quality who nobody had expected.
  • To make this clear, Peterborough themselves cannot pull out of this deal IF the release clause has been met, only Maddison himself can decide against it. That's the point of a release clause, the only thing that could happen now is another club comes in and also meets his release clause which would then come down to which club can offer Maddison the best deal. It obviously isn't clear cut but it's promising that their chairman has spoke out and we now know Lee met him.

Fingers crossed we will meet no stumbling blocks cause he really is quality and we simply don't have anyone like him
    or Maddison could wait until the summer and get a more suitable club for him and a sizeable signing on fee
  • edited January 2020
    Posh fans don't seem to think we've offered 2.5 mill for him. It does seem a little on the high side for a player with 6 months on his deal. 
    The idea of a clause is you have to reach that figure to instigate a deal ( yes I know we all know that) Ignore what posh fans say, they or so blinkered, you only have to listen to Charlton fans to know that.

If MM comes too Cafc I wonder if a similar bid for Lyle will see him go in January. The business head of Matt Southall may kick in and a like for like transfer may take place with Taylor. 
    Lyle may be 30 next month but he needs to stay till May. It's looking unlikely.

• Sponsored links:

• edited January 2020
    Guy on twitter saying Tahoon interested in buying Dinamo Bucharest.... cue Charlton life meltdown
  • edited January 2020
    Posh fans don't seem to think we've offered 2.5 mill for him. It does seem a little on the high side for a player with 6 months on his deal. 
    The idea of a clause is you have to reach that figure to instigate a deal ( yes I know we all know that) Ignore what posh fans say, they or so blinkered, you only have to listen to Charlton fans to know that.

I believe if MM comes too Cafc I wonder if a similar bid for Lyle will see him go in January. The business head of Matt Southall may kick in and a like for like transfer may take place with Taylor. 

Not necessarily. You have to bid that figure to ensure the offer cannot be rejected, but nothing is stopping P'boro from accepting less. 
  • Guy on twitter saying Tahoon interested in buying Dinamo Bucharest.... cue Charlton life meltdown
    Cant see that 
  • Guy on twitter saying Tahoon interested in buying Dinamo Bucharest.... cue Charlton life meltdown
    Cant see that 
    I saw it this morning but he initially said the UAE Royal Family and later changed it to the people who have just bought Charlton. Sounds like bull to me.  
  • edited January 2020
    Okay, I’m going to be a miserable git and say I have slight misgivings about this one. The highlights reel looks great, but so did Frank Moussa’s, Ben Reeves’, and Otzumer’s.  It’s great to be able to spend a few notes at last, but is attacking midfield really a priority, unless Aneke and/or Otzumer are out for longer than we think? Is he better than Williams? I find that hard to believe. More importantly, though, is this talk of an attitude problem. The one thing that has kept us afloat is incredible team spirit. It could be very costly if that balance is upset. I hope Bowyer has done his homework on that part of Maddison. 

If B&G fancy him then I trust that, but could this be someone that wasn’t a primary target until MS made a suggestion based on his contacts with their chairman?

I guess I‘ve just seen too many “exciting” signings turn out to be crap, and too many “underwhelming” ones turn out to be good, to draw too many conclusions on how players have done elsewhere. All that counts is what they do here. 
    He's better than Moussa, Reeves and Oztumer combined :-)
    He scores goals, he has the most assists in the EFL and he doesn't get injured.
    If we can sign him, it's a great signing.
  • Posh fans don't seem to think we've offered 2.5 mill for him. It does seem a little on the high side for a player with 6 months on his deal. 

If MM comes too Cafc I wonder if a similar bid for Lyle will see him go in January. The business head of Matt Southall may kick in and a like for like transfer may take place with Taylor. 

You don't have to reach that figure to get a bid accepted though. If we offer say 1 million and the Peterborough owners wants to accept that offer then he's allowed to do so. I seem to remember Naby Sarr had a release clause in his Sporting Lisbon contract of about 90 million... obviously we didn't pay that lol. 
  • One thing with a "release clause" is that it's ok when a player is 2 years into a 4 year deal, but not if he has less than 6 months remaining. To my thinking his release clause is pretty much redundant now as he can leave in the summer for nothing. I expect Peterborough would take £1.0-£1.5m. Bit like us & Taylor.
  • We also need players who are going to be here next season. No guarantee Williams will be, especially if we go down....so players like Aneke, Oztumer and (hopefully) Maddison could be very important. 
  • Sponsored links:

I believe if MM comes too Cafc I wonder if a similar bid for Lyle will see him go in January. The business head of Matt Southall may kick in and a like for like transfer may take place with Taylor. 

Not necessarily. You have to bid that figure to ensure the offer cannot be rejected, but nothing is stopping P'boro from accepting less. 
    this with knobs on
  • edited January 2020

Good point but if the posh Chairman has turned down numerous other bids for the player then I believe it has been reached. 
    I say that because he has always bought low and sold high on so many of their good players in the past.  You could well be right I wonder if we will ever find out ?

Why stop at that? With the money he has got he could buy all of Romania. 
  • edited January 2020
    cafc_se7 said:
    Okay, I’m going to be a miserable git and say I have slight misgivings about this one. The highlights reel looks great, but so did Frank Moussa’s, Ben Reeves’, and Otzumer’s.  It’s great to be able to spend a few notes at last, but is attacking midfield really a priority, unless Aneke and/or Otzumer are out for longer than we think? Is he better than Williams? I find that hard to believe. More importantly, though, is this talk of an attitude problem. The one thing that has kept us afloat is incredible team spirit. It could be very costly if that balance is upset. I hope Bowyer has done his homework on that part of Maddison. 

Not being funny but have you watched him play against us? He has always been a handful! His stats are second to none! I know what you are saying but I don’t really know what else you would expect?

Not in the flesh, no, but Reeves and Otzumer also had very good games against us, but when we were a shit League One side. It’s more than the attitude problem that has me nervous - like I said, I see the team spirit we have as completely fundamental to Bowyer’s. 

I’m not saying we shouldn’t sign, I just don’t know enough about him either way, but I’m saying we should be careful of being seduced by highlights reels of players playing elsewhere. How many of us have seen him play 90 minutes other than against us? It’s not like Posh are in the TV every other week.

In terms of we’d get instead, I usually watch one match a week - ours and I focus on our players so I freely admit I don’t who is out there, even less who is available or realistic for us. What I would say though is a striker and a defender are what we need most to improve us - assuming Otzumer and Aneke are not far behind Williams in returning to fitness. 
  • cafc_se7 said:

Not in the flesh, no, but Reeves and Otzumer also had very good games against us, but when we were a shit League One side. It’s more than the attitude problem that has me nervous - like I said, I see the team spirit we have as completely fundamental to Bowyer’s. 

I’m not saying we shouldn’t sign, I just don’t know enough about him either way, but I’m saying we should be careful of being seduced by highlights reels of players playing elsewhere. How many of us have seen him play 90 minutes other than against us? It’s not like Posh are in the TV every other week.

In terms of we’d get instead, I usually watch one match a week - ours and I focus on our players so I freely admit I don’t who is out there, even less who is available or realistic for us. What I would say though is a striker and a defender are what we need most to improve us - assuming Otzumer and Aneke are not far behind Williams in returning to fitness. 
    neither are good enough for the Championship imo.
    Considering our deal was done before anyone knew anything I'd say that is BS 
  • From Posh forum,

He had affixed on him a transfer fee of 2, and a 1/2 £million minimum if sold before end of the Season. Heard about this going on last Saturday prior to the Gills game. Loud voices heard.
  • Dinamo Bucharest? Not good enough, our last network was in Budapest, a much nicer city.

Tahnoon Out!