Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• Not had someone who can consistently score goals like that since Ricky Holmes
  • Hopefully we can get this one over the line will be a great signing and hopefully one that would persuade Taylor to stay.

Still think we need a RB/LB, CB & ST but still this will be a great attacking signing.

• bobmunro said:

Really don't want to be Mr Negative but I am a little worried that after this broadcast from their Chairman, a lot of other clubs will come in and trump us on the wage front.

Hoping I'm wrong.

I read it that Posh have 'accepted' our bid and given him permission only to speak to us. My take then is that subject to agreeing personal terms, he's our player. If we can't agree terms then maybe others will come in.
    Not sure, surely other clubs can still come in before we have agreed terms and match our bid. I think Darragh is highlighting this to other clubs to get as much money as possible. 

Maybe we haven't met the release clause?
  • What's not to like when you see those videos? Were Lyle Taylor to stay, I wonder how the dressing room would be with two such apparently large personalities.
  • If rumours of Maddison's attitude are true, it will be interesting to see how Bowyer manages him if we do get him.

In the last couple of windows Gallen and Bowyer have gone at length to explain its about getting the players with the right attitude in, and that shows in how hard the team work for each other and commitment we see from the players each game.

An exciting signing and a show of intent if we do get him. 

• What's not to like when you see those videos? Were Lyle Taylor to stay, I wonder how the dressing room would be with two such apparently large personalities.
    Harry Hill knows of a way you can find out...
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:

Really don't want to be Mr Negative but I am a little worried that after this broadcast from their Chairman, a lot of other clubs will come in and trump us on the wage front.

Hoping I'm wrong.

I read it that Posh have 'accepted' our bid and given him permission only to speak to us. My take then is that subject to agreeing personal terms, he's our player. If we can't agree terms then maybe others will come in.
    Not sure, surely other clubs can still come in before we have agreed terms and match our bid. I think Darragh is highlighting this to other clubs to get as much money as possible. 

That entirely depends on the Posh Chairman. Our bid is accepted and permission given to speak with Maddison - based on MacAnthony's reputation, I don't expect him to be a gazumper!

It's a different matter if Maddison either doesn't want to come to Charlton, or we can't meet his salary expectations.

• Bit of a worry that the Posh chairman is fishing for other bids in that tweet.
    Get it done quick boys. 
  • Was going to question if the bid had been accepted today or last week, the way Darragh worded the below makes me think that Maddison was the player Bowyer met on Wednesday night

• DoctorCharlton said: Really don't want to be Mr Negative but I am a little worried that after this broadcast from their Chairman, a lot of other clubs will come in and trump us on the wage front.Hoping I'm wrong.

It's up to Bowyer and Southall to sell the dream then.  Unless a club like WBA / Leeds who look sure to go up this season come in for him, we may be seen by him as a good chance to develop his career and reach the promised land in a couple of years.  
  • So according to this report we have met the 2.5 mill release clause then? Interesting.
  • So according to this report we have met the 2.5 mill release clause then? Interesting.
    I would imagine that article is guess work
  • logged on, saw 127 new posts, not a fish pun or house analogy amongst them for a change.
  • bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

Hoping I'm wrong.

That entirely depends on the Posh Chairman. Our bid is accepted and permission given to speak with Maddison - based on MacAnthony's reputation, I don't expect him to be a gazumper!

It's a different matter if Maddison either doesn't want to come to Charlton, or we can't meet his salary expectations.

Not necessarily, if other clubs meet his release clause there is nothing Darragh can do. 
  • edited January 2020
    Would be happy with MM - good player and when the opportunity comes to sign someone like him you dont turn it down.

But.... In my view he is coming into a midfield role where we already have a lot of options. I see him as in the same role as Williams, Ozzy and Aneke. As I said you dont turn down the opportunity to sign him and there are significant doubts over those 3 and whether they will be here next season. 

But in my view the priority for the rest of the season should be a striker (2 if we lose Taylor), a back up for Cullen (as we have lost Kayal and really lack someone who can link the defence and attach and keep us ticking over) and then a utility left sided defender. This is probably a nice to have signing rather than a needed for the side right now.

Although perhaps Bow sees him playing more in the Gallagher role and provided some rotation there....

Sage said:
    If Maddison is to sign, he would allow us to play a number of different systems. He is also left footed and not afraid of having a go at goal. If he is to sign, as long as he works as hard as the other players, which would be demanded of him, he’d be a very good addition to the squad.

Maddison would allow us to play both him and Green wide, Taylor upfront with say Williams just behind, with those three rotating and causing problems. Give Gallagher and Pratley a rest every so often, and have Cullen and Field just behind them when they’re both fit, which won’t be too far now.

Though of course, this is all fantasy and playing tactics with players who aren’t fit yet or not even our players. But it’s good to have options within the squad, that’s the point and will benefit us. 

Canters, as the first person who said Sign Maddison  ?  Six years ago when he left Newcastle and was playing for Gateshead I would like to make it clear that he can play in midfield or wide and can cover for LB so don't worry about CAFC having too many players, as the chance of having too many fit at the same time is the players worry, not the fans.

If MM accepts the terms and signs, I hope he can emulate, two of Sunderland's famous fans, by scoring like Clive Mendonca and running like Steve Cram.

Am i ITK, if six years lapses between rumour and signing ?
  • Scoham said:
    se9addick said:
    Would this be bad news for the Turkish Messi if we sign him?
    I have heard Aneke is the one leaving this month. 
    That was my guess, needs to play regularly and although more depth would be good I doubt we’ll have 12+ first team midfielders.
    Portsmouth are interested I believe. 
    Would it be on a loan basis? I actually quite like Aneke, hoping he gets a chance once fully fit. 
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

Hoping I'm wrong.

Not necessarily, if other clubs meet his release clause there is nothing Darragh can do. 

What Chairman wouldn't try and get the most money for his player once a release clause has been met?   Come on now.   If ANOther Championship club wants to say, offer £3.5m and we don't think he's worth it - that's just life.   This is not an offer to con Charlton fans into thinking we are trying to buy players when we have no money.

Get a grip Doomsdayers!

• se9addick said:
    Scoham said:
    se9addick said:
    Would this be bad news for the Turkish Messi if we sign him?
    I have heard Aneke is the one leaving this month. 
    That was my guess, needs to play regularly and although more depth would be good I doubt we’ll have 12+ first team midfielders.
    Portsmouth are interested I believe. 
    Would it be on a loan basis? I actually quite like Aneke, hoping he gets a chance once fully fit. 
    Not sure to be honest. 
    Surely we aren’t bidding £2.5M for a third division player with six months remaining on his contract?! 
  • If rumours of Maddison's attitude are true, it will be interesting to see how Bowyer manages him if we do get him.

In the last couple of windows Gallen and Bowyer have gone at length to explain its about getting the players with the right attitude in, and that shows in how hard the team work for each other and commitment we see from the players each game.

An exciting signing and a show of intent if we do get him. 

It doesn't sound like his attitude effects his work ethics from what I've seen. Similarly, Taylor has an attitude online, but works hard on the pitch. 
  • To quote my colleague who's a Peterborough ST-holder... 'he's certainly talented and has scored plenty of spectacular goals for us, but often drifts in and out of games with his work-rate fluctuating game-to-game. Well-known to have a bit of an attitude problem to say the least and loves a theatrical dive. If Bowyer can sort out his character he'll be a great signing for you!'
  • supaclive said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

Hoping I'm wrong.

What Chairman wouldn't try and get the most money for his player once a release clause has been met?   Come on now.   If ANOther Championship club wants to say, offer £3.5m and we don't think he's worth it - that's just life.   This is not an offer to con Charlton fans into thinking we are trying to buy players when we have no money.

Get a grip Doomsdayers!

I agree, I never slated him for doing so???
  • I'm intrigued and excited to see how our transfer dealings go with Gallen and Southall doing the business. I never doubted Gallen's ability to spot a player and get the deal done. Now the club has an interest in buying rather than selling, it doesn't feel half as worrying as when Roland was owner. 
  • The thing I took from MacAnthony’s Tweet wasn’t necessarily that he was trying to spark a bidding war, but that he was putting out a notice to teams who might be trying to tap Maddison up to tell them they can’t do it. It can be hard to hold out for a release clause if a team with money has tapped up your player, offered to triple his salary and left him agitating for a move. Could be the best way of ensuring he gets the full amount for Maddison
  • supaclive said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

Hoping I'm wrong.

Get a grip Doomsdayers!

Why would anyone bid 3.5 when his release clause is 2.5.
    If theyre that stupid, they can have him