Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• I reckon it was lower than 2.5, between 1 and 1.5 at a guess.

On a side note I look forward to more of these bitter tweets 

'The likes of Charlton' - love it. Keep them coming. 
  • Just had a quick scan of Madison's Instagram.

Verdict - He'll get parked up by Bowyer within a week

Why, has he been disqualified from driving?
  • Uboat said:
    I reckon it was lower than 2.5, between 1 and 1.5 at a guess.

I’m not being funny but he supports Bristol fecking City...... Sorry for going all Sheff Weds here but we are, have been and always will be a bigger club than a team who I associate more with league 1 and 2. It’s a toss up who is bigger out of them and Bristol Rovers!
    True but check out his timeline. His twin passions and Bristol City and dinosaurs and it's great to see. 
  • If there really are 340 unread posts about Marcus Maddison on here then we really are still fecked
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2020

Which city is he referring to ..... Bristol ?

Answered further down the thread :-)
  • I reckon it was lower than 2.5, between 1 and 1.5 at a guess.

Which city is he referring to ..... Bristol ?
    Manchester
  • Fumbluff said:
    If there really are 340 unread posts about Marcus Maddison on here then we really are still fecked
    Why?
  • Would be happy with MM - good player and when the opportunity comes to sign someone like him you dont turn it down.

But.... In my view he is coming into a midfield role where we already have a lot of options. I see him as in the same role as Williams, Ozzy and Aneke. As I said you dont turn down the opportunity to sign him and there are significant doubts over those 3 and whether they will be here next season. 

But in my view the priority for the rest of the season should be a striker (2 if we lose Taylor), a back up for Cullen (as we have lost Kayal and really lack someone who can link the defence and attach and keep us ticking over) and then a utility left sided defender. This is probably a nice to have signing rather than a needed for the side right now.

Although perhaps Bow sees him playing more in the Gallagher role and provided some rotation there....

Sage said:
    If Maddison is to sign, he would allow us to play a number of different systems. He is also left footed and not afraid of having a go at goal. If he is to sign, as long as he works as hard as the other players, which would be demanded of him, he’d be a very good addition to the squad.

Maddison would allow us to play both him and Green wide, Taylor upfront with say Williams just behind, with those three rotating and causing problems. Give Gallagher and Pratley a rest every so often, and have Cullen and Field just behind them when they’re both fit, which won’t be too far now.

Though of course, this is all fantasy and playing tactics with players who aren’t fit yet or not even our players. But it’s good to have options within the squad, that’s the point and will benefit us. 

Canters, as the first person who said Sign Maddison  ?  Six years ago when he left Newcastle and was playing for Gateshead I would like to make it clear that he can play in midfield or wide and can cover for LB so don't worry about CAFC having too many players, as the chance of having too many fit at the same time is the players worry, not the fans.

If MM accepts the terms and signs, I hope he can emulate, two of Sunderland's famous fans, by scoring like Clive Mendonca and running like Steve Cram.

Am i ITK, if six years lapses between rumour and signing ?
    makes sense now, like for when Lee is sent to the stands?
  • Uboat said:
    Addickted said:
    From Posh forum,

He had affixed on him a transfer fee of 2, and a 1/2 £million minimum if sold before end of the Season. Heard about this going on last Saturday prior to the Gills game. Loud voices heard.
    That feels like it was written by Chaucer.
    Didn't know he had been at Rotherham previously .....
  • Uboat said:

I’m not being funny but he supports Bristol fecking City...... Sorry for going all Sheff Weds here but we are, have been and always will be a bigger club than a team who I associate more with league 1 and 2. It’s a toss up who is bigger out of them and Bristol Rovers!
    He isn't  the only one I've seen recently, seen a few Bristol City fans giving it the bigun when they beat us, I don't know where they get it from 
  • Uboat said:
    Addickted said:
    From Posh forum,

He had affixed on him a transfer fee of 2, and a 1/2 £million minimum if sold before end of the Season. Heard about this going on last Saturday prior to the Gills game. Loud voices heard.
    That feels like it was written by Chaucer.
    Maddison will be a Charlton player anon, hell hath no fury like a posh fan scorned.
  • Wiki says he turned us down for Wimbledon. Lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Big statement if we did manage to get Toney. 
    It would be massive. Cant see it though,not this window anyway 😉
  • Toney and Maddison. Jesus. ££££
  • Southall very keen on Toney.

Just been on sky sports
    What was this? A snip interview or? 
  • cafc_se7 said:
    Okay, I’m going to be a miserable git and say I have slight misgivings about this one. The highlights reel looks great, but so did Frank Moussa’s, Ben Reeves’, and Otzumer’s.  It’s great to be able to spend a few notes at last, but is attacking midfield really a priority, unless Aneke and/or Otzumer are out for longer than we think? Is he better than Williams? I find that hard to believe. More importantly, though, is this talk of an attitude problem. The one thing that has kept us afloat is incredible team spirit. It could be very costly if that balance is upset. I hope Bowyer has done his homework on that part of Maddison. 

If B&G fancy him then I trust that, but could this be someone that wasn’t a primary target until MS made a suggestion based on his contacts with their chairman?

I guess I‘ve just seen too many “exciting” signings turn out to be crap, and too many “underwhelming” ones turn out to be good, to draw too many conclusions on how players have done elsewhere. All that counts is what they do here. 
    Not being funny but have you watched him play against us? He has always been a handful! His stats are second to none! I know what you are saying but I don’t really know what else you would expect?

Who would you go for instead? 
    Not in the flesh, no, but Reeves and Otzumer also had very good games against us, but when we were a shit League One side. It’s more than the attitude problem that has me nervous - like I said, I see the team spirit we have as completely fundamental to Bowyer’s. 

I’m not saying we shouldn’t sign, I just don’t know enough about him either way, but I’m saying we should be careful of being seduced by highlights reels of players playing elsewhere. How many of us have seen him play 90 minutes other than against us? It’s not like Posh are in the TV every other week.

In terms of we’d get instead, I usually watch one match a week - ours and I focus on our players so I freely admit I don’t who is out there, even less who is available or realistic for us. What I would say though is a striker and a defender are what we need most to improve us - assuming Otzumer and Aneke are not far behind Williams in returning to fitness. 
    I've seen him play at least a dozen games and he's better than any player on our books. (Gallagher is better).
    Plus give Gallen and Bowyer a bit of credit.
    I don't think we're basing our transfer policy on you tube clips.

I’m not suggesting they are and I said I trust Bowyer and Gallen in my first post. I’m just cautioning against fans setting their expectations too high. If he’s as good as you say, it seems strange he’s been stuck at Posh so long. What’s the catch? Maybe there isn’t, one, but as I’ve been told by the arm chair scouts on here that we’re signing fantastic players before only for them to be very mediocre in a Charlton shirt.

You and I usually see eye to eye on post match comments etc. so if you rate I may well  end up doing the same. The you tube clips and his stats certainly do look good.

Not trying to piss on anyone’s chips, not much point being a football fan if you can’t get excited about things like this once, in a while and it’s certainly nice to at least be able to compete for a signature like this - it’s been a long time. 

• Toney and Maddison very good friends apparently and love playing together so one could follow the other. Fingers crossed.
    And some. 

£10m+ on a player in January! What's he going to spend in the summer??
  • bobmunro said:
    Big statement if we did manage to get Toney. 
    And some. 

£10m+ on a player in January! What's he going to spend in the summer??
    I don’t think we’d pay £10 mill for Toney.