Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• Not sure there’s much actual news in that article? Does any player accept the first contract offer?
  • edited January 2020
    The only name we have that we can take as certain that we are trying to buy is Maddison. That’s good because he’s a very good player but every other name cropping up doesn’t exactly fill me with hope. In fact with the exception of a fanciful link with Toney the rest are completely underwhelming.
  • The only name we have that we can take as certain that we are trying to buy is Maddison. That’s good because he’s a very good player but every other name cropping up doesn’t exactly fill me with hope. In fact with the exception of a fanciful link with Toney the rest are completely underwhelming.
    I’m sure they’ll be working on names that haven’t been mentioned. I don’t think Green was linked with us, neither were some of the summer signings.
  • February is make or break as far as I'm concerned. The best case scenario is Bows and Llye are still here, we have at least 4/5 new faces and 3/4 back from injury. If this is the case I think if we can get between 11 to 15 points and we will be on home straight towards survival. The flip side of the coin being we go into the month with still a paper thin squad and loads of kids still in or around the team (not their fault btw) and we lose a lot of 6 pointer matches which could mean by the end of the month we are occupying a bottom three slot, which if we are in my opinion , I think it will be difficult to pull ourselves out.
  • Is this Southall or some joke?
  • We are still the only club permitted to talk to Maddison (I believe as not heard otherwise).
  • Sponsored links:

• If Cowley thinks he’s good enough for the Championship that’ll do me.
  • Re us after Toffolo. I've heard we met their valuation.

Lincoln manager Michael Appleton says defender Harry Toffolo will only be allowed to leave the club this month if another side meets their valuation of the left-back.

Huddersfield made an offer for Toffolo in recent days - that’s despite a 'gentleman's agreement' between manager Danny Cowley and his former club when he left for Huddersfield in September that he would not make an approach for any of their players or staff until at least the end of this season.

It's thought the fee offered for Toffolo, who is also attracting interest from other Championship sides, was below Lincoln's valuation of the 24-year-old but discussions between the clubs are ongoing.
    Interesting whether the Cowleys being interested will tip the deal in their favour or not, or whether he'd prefer to be down south
  • Reading the interview MS had with CAST I do wonder about our negotiating skills. We were said to have agreed terms with a player, then the agent asked for £1,000 more per week. MS asks SG if said player is worth that extra and SG says no so we pull the deal. Surely MS should have asked a) do we want the player and if yes then b) is he worth an extra £500 a week. If yes then offer that. If the agent still says no then ok walk away but at least attempt to negotiate.
    Exactly my thoughts, it doesn't make sense that we are triggering release clauses in excess of millions but not willing to pay an extra bit of wage to secure a player. Assuming that's one of the names linked it's a bit odd
  • Reading the interview MS had with CAST I do wonder about our negotiating skills. We were said to have agreed terms with a player, then the agent asked for £1,000 more per week. MS asks SG if said player is worth that extra and SG says no so we pull the deal. Surely MS should have asked a) do we want the player and if yes then b) is he worth an extra £500 a week. If yes then offer that. If the agent still says no then ok walk away but at least attempt to negotiate.
    I would like to think that the way you described it did happen and Southall just gave a brief overview. It’s disappointing if the deal collapsed over a grand a week or less 
    I would like to think that the way you described it did happen and Southall just gave a brief overview. It’s disappointing if the deal collapsed over a grand a week or less 
    That extra £1000 a week doesn’t sound much, but if we sign the 4/5 players mooted then that suddenly adds up 200-250k per year or 600 -750k over the course of 3 years.

Switch it the other way around, and look from the clubs perspective.
    why is the player agreeing and then worrying about an extra £1000 a week.
    probably not much to him either.

Guessing these guys are putting proper offers out there, so the player won’t be skint by not having that money.
    Chancing his arm and they lost it!
  • Sponsored links:

• I feel this coffee may have been a win double for both parties
  • Interesting that Rich says "THAT deal"

Basically confirms Maddison isnt our only target at the moment
  • Think it's the other sense of the word that 

I may be wrong but think you’re over reading Rich’s comment there, although it’s a no brained that we’re in for others.
  • I would hazard a guess that Mr Cawley omitted the word 'the' and that it should read 'but that the deal wasn't dead.'

Think you're reading it wrong. I read it as "but that [the] deal wasn't dead". 
  • edited January 2020
    Interesting that Rich says "THAT deal"

Thank fuck for that. If we only had one target player I'd be devastated.
  • Not really a rumour but this player has started following the Charlton twitter. Seemed random.

• mart77 said:
    Not really a rumour but this player has started following the Charlton twitter. Seemed random.

He'd give Oshilaja a run for his money. The guys a beast