Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• This feels like what happened with Williams in the summer - on hold, revisit later on when we have a better idea of what budget is left, or to see if Maddison lowers his demands.
  • Because the Custodians of cafc are from the UAE is this becoming a problem as League one Players believe they should be offered a Middling Championship wage and not a low championship wage ?

Anyone who is an agent or ex agent with a network of contracts would be aware of the going rates for players. Steve Gallen said a number of offers have been made to clubs and other than Green on the first day it's been quieter than a gathering of  Carthusian monks.
  • CAFCsayer said:

This is bollocks... They need to start pulling their finger out or we are nailed on for relegation
    I'm as frustrated as the next person but we have no idea what Maddison was asking for, and how that would effect our overall wage structure etc. 
    I think before putting in a bid you'd pretty much know what wage he was currently on & what he'd be looking for. All sounds a bit amateurish to me.
    Football transfers are not as black and white as that though are they. For Charlton and every other club in the world bar maybe the top 1%.
  • I'm sure they spoke to Maddison agent before going into talks, but it doesn't stop the player or his reps taking the piss when they get in the room. 
  • Alternatively, give up on Maddison and sign a few players that want to be here. But sign them quickly - we have a game on Saturday and then Tuesday (6 important points). At this stage we are more than struggling for midfielders and strikers!
  • edited January 2020
    Scoham said:
    This feels like what happened with Williams in the summer - on hold, revisit later on when we have a better idea of what budget is left, or to see if Maddison lowers his demands.
    Yep. 2 weeks to go, time for him to reduce his demands if he wants to & time for us to increase ours if we want to.

If we don't get in a few good 'uns we might increase our offer.

It's an auction/poker and the game ends on the 31st January, unless one party chooses to end it beforehand.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just hope our wage structure can survive this window , nothing would be worse than signing some decent players for highly inflated salaries .
    Fingers crossed we can stay streamline and at the lower end , good times .
  • edited January 2020
    TEL said:
    I really hope that Midfielder wasn't Mowatt or Maddison that we were penny pinching over, 52k a year extra is hardly crazy money for a proper player
    In the real world 52k a year is a lot of money
    In footballing terms at championship level it is absolutely f all though. I could understand if it was an extra 5k a week or so but 1k and a straight rejection is poor showing. Same as the Gnanduillet bid, ok so they want double, offer half and go from there, we have 0 bargaining skills unless it's for a player on the cheap by the sounds of things, this isn't league 1 anymore, we aren't gonna get by offering 4k a week 2 year contracts.

Football world isn't realistic as far as money goes I'm afraid.

5-8k a week contracts = more than likely bang average players = chance of relegation every season. How a group has spent millions and now won't break the wage structure ever so slightly is beyond me
  • If I was Maddison I wouldn’t move until the summer, leave on a free and get paid a bigger salary/signing on fee.

It would be a bad deal for Peterborough because not only would I be depriving them of a transfer fee but I would also spend the rest of the season avoiding any situation that could lead to me being injured (including any sort of tackling) and ruining my pay day, but that’s the sort of guy I am.  
  • edited January 2020
    Bowyer had a low budget under Douchebag but managed to get deals done. Seeing as the urgency to own us was around having a transfer window to cement our place in the division, you have to think the budget is significantly higher than the summer one! It is just we are not seeing any hard evidence of it yet and that includes getting Bowyer signed up himself beyond his current deal!
  • edited January 2020
    se9addick said:
    If I was Maddison I wouldn’t move until the summer, leave on a free and get paid a bigger salary/signing on fee.

It would be a bad deal for Peterborough because not only would I be depriving them of a transfer fee but I would also spend the rest of the season avoiding any situation that could lead to me being injured (including any sort of tackling) and ruining my pay day, but that’s the sort of guy I am.  
    Yep, so we ask Posh to reduce their transfer fee, in order to pay Maddison more.
    If they don't they will get nothing.

As it stands I've heard nothing to say any other club have met the break clause, so it's still only us allowed to talk to him.
  • Sounds to me that Maddison just doesn't want to move to us.  
    The longer he waits the more he will possibly get.
  • Can your budget structure really stay sustainable if you’re in threat of relegation and desperately need bodies in though? We need deals to be done and urgently.
  • Sky reporting that Toffolo is off to Huddersfield... Wouldnt surprise me in the slightest seeing he'd be working with his old Manager

HUDDERSFIELD GETTING CLOSER ON TOFFOLO

Huddersfield are closing in on a deal to reunite Harry Toffolo with his former Lincoln boss Danny Cowley.

The Terriers are in advanced talks with the Imps to sign the left-back and there is understood to be an agreement on the fee.

Toffolo, 24, set to join pending the results of a medical and an agreement over personal terms.

• Sponsored links:

• Maddison seems cut from a strange cloth and also a lot of Northerners prefer to stay up there. 

Our worry is we have all our main goalscorers out...Taylor/Bonne/Leko/Gallagher, so no idea what we plan to do. 
  • edited January 2020
    So the undertaking Cowley gave Lincoln when he took the manager's job at Huddersfield not to poach any of their players for the rest of this season was just hot air then 😏.
  • Sky reporting that Toffolo is off to Huddersfield... Wouldnt surprise me in the slightest seeing he'd be working with his old Manager

Huddersfield are closing in on a deal to reunite Harry Toffolo with his former Lincoln boss Danny Cowley.

The Terriers are in advanced talks with the Imps to sign the left-back and there is understood to be an agreement on the fee.

Toffolo, 24, set to join pending the results of a medical and an agreement over personal terms.

I don’t believe we was ever actually in for him was we ?
  • Sounds to me that Maddison just doesn't want to move to us.  
    I tend to agree with this. Sounds like he's after a bigger paycheck which we won't give him. There's more to contracts than just the pay, it's possible that he's demanding too much and we have a large wage reduction upon relegation clause which is making him jittery based on our league position. January always has inflated prices and our league position makes it even harder because no players are going to want to move to us if they think there's a chance of being in league 1 next year unless they're getting significant renumeration, which we aren't offering. 

I'm praying we get Bowyer and a decent, fit midfielder in before Preston! 
  • I can't really get my head round footballers wanting to stay in a certain location when you're in the Championship & above. They're earning serious wedge and could afford to fly home plenty of times a month if they wanted to...
  • Jamie19 said:
    Sky reporting that Toffolo is off to Huddersfield... Wouldnt surprise me in the slightest seeing he'd be working with his old Manager

I don’t believe we was ever actually in for him was we ?
    Were, were, were, were.
    I don't think we were either. Strikes me as a smug PR game to show willing....then backfired when CG got recalled. 
  • edited January 2020
    I think my concern stems from the fact that I feel our position demands we go into our next two games and six points (over the next six days) with more than a midfield of an overplayed Pratley (I think he deserves a medal btw), Vennings and Morgan. And well as he did on Saturday, only Davison up front. Ok we have a few coming back but they have to be eased back for fear of losing them later!

If you think we can write those points off and wait for Barnsley then you are probably going to feel better about things than me. But I honestly feel these two games coming up are vitally important and I would have expected us to be better prepared for them in terms of personnel given we are on day 16 of the transfer window.