Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• Sounds to me that Maddison just doesn't want to move to us.  
    Spoke to a Posh mate, he seems to think Maddison is using as leverage.
    He is very confident he wants to go to Hull, but will only happen if Jarrod Bowen moves.
  • Sky reporting that Toffolo is off to Huddersfield... Wouldnt surprise me in the slightest seeing he'd be working with his old Manager

HUDDERSFIELD GETTING CLOSER ON TOFFOLO

Huddersfield are closing in on a deal to reunite Harry Toffolo with his former Lincoln boss Danny Cowley.

The Terriers are in advanced talks with the Imps to sign the left-back and there is understood to be an agreement on the fee.

Toffolo, 24, set to join pending the results of a medical and an agreement over personal terms.

Were we even in for him? I didn't see anywhere link him to us and I had a look at Lincoln's forum and they were none the wiser either. From what I read on there he gets MotM every week and is fully capable of playing at this level and maybe beyond, so could be a gem for a championship side. Cowley link is there so that's probably that  
  • How many Championship clubs are sustainable , football is a financial fuck up, you have to speculate to accumulate (if you're lucky) , all this model waffle is dreamland .

Fans want cheap football but want us to pay up for the players , madness 
    put the prices up double everyones season ticket and see how keen the fans really are for you to pay up , lose lose lose whatever way you turn in this game .

That might be true but I wouldn't be that happy if we did something like what Derby have done and spend millions every year only to stay in this league anyway
  • So if Maddison is not one of the "Deals Pending" tweeted by Southall, then who is? 

Have to be honest, the idea of a CM who was a target for us not to agree on an extra 1K a week in the position as is in, is bizarre. 

I'm not a doom and gloomer but, we seriously need to pull our finger out and get some bodies in. Refusing to stump up an extra 52K pa or negotiating that, is not going to keep us up.

We can not keep saying after the next game we will get bodies in, we need liven up now.
  • PopIcon said:
    Sounds to me that Maddison just doesn't want to move to us.  
    He is very confident he wants to go to Hull, but will only happen if Jarrod Bowen moves.
    A player who is very keen on going to Hull is almost *exactly* the type of player it would be good not to have sign for Charlton. 
  • So if Maddison is not one of the "Deals Pending" tweeted by Southall, then who is? 

Have to be honest, the idea of a CM who was a target for us not to agree on an extra 1K a week in the position as is in, is bizarre. 

I'm not a doom and gloomer but, we seriously need to pull our finger out and get some bodies in. Refusing to stump up an extra 52K pa or negotiating that, is not going to keep us up.

We can not keep saying after the next game we will get bodies in, we need liven up now.
    So if we assembled say a 25 man squad all doing the same that extra 1k a week becomes 25k extra a week and £1.3m a year.

Frustrating I know as we need bodies in urgently but we do also have bodies coming back like Williams and JFC.

Agreed though we do need fresh bodies now but I get not overpaying for them too.
  • Regarding the demand from an agent for an additional £1K a week, my understanding is that was AFTER a deal had been agreed. If we’d fallen for that then that would have set the standard for all future player negotiations. If we were already at the maximum that Steve Gallen thought the player was worth then I think we made the right call.

So if we assembled say a 25 man squad all doing the same that extra 1k a week becomes 25k extra a week and £1.3m a year.

Frustrating I know as we need bodies in urgently but we do also have bodies coming back like Williams and JFC.

Agreed though we do need fresh bodies now but I get not overpaying for them too.
    I get that but you can't work on that model. We are not trying to sign 25 players. We need ideally 3/4 players in. So say if all four wanted an extra 1k a week. That's 208k a year for 4 players?

Is it really that unsustainable?
  • Sponsored links:

• I keep reading give them time ,which I agree with ------but what about this weekend ? No players in and a key player gone. 

• sounds like a case of we will not increase offer and he is holding firm for now but if no other team comes in he may be prepared to accept. 
  • edited January 2020
    Regarding the demand from an agent for an additional £1K a week, my understanding is that was AFTER a deal had been agreed. If we’d fallen for that then that would have set the standard for all future player negotiations. If we were already at the maximum that Steve Gallen thought the player was worth then I think we made the right call.
    If the player was one of the players we have been linked with then it sounds like a case of cutting off the nose to spite the face. Got our chairman on sky sports news flirting with the idea of being in for players like Ivan Toney and then we hear we are skimping on wages to get some quality over the line. It's a bit frustrating. Even if it was after, as someone else said at least offer a quarter or half that, just sounds like as soon as a club or player want a bit extra we completely shut them off and that's not good for business 
  • Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:
    A player who is very keen on going to Hull is almost *exactly* the type of player it would be good not to have sign for Charlton. 
    He has a young family in the north east and wants to be closer to them (of course money talks) He also has a good relationship with their manager, McCann having previously been at Posh.

Also bare in mind Hull have spent more time recently in the Premier League and can almost definitely pay better wages.
  • PopIcon said:
    Come on, no one wants to go to Hull :wink:
  • Sky reporting that Toffolo is off to Huddersfield... Wouldnt surprise me in the slightest seeing he'd be working with his old Manager

HUDDERSFIELD GETTING CLOSER ON TOFFOLO

Huddersfield are closing in on a deal to reunite Harry Toffolo with his former Lincoln boss Danny Cowley.

The Terriers are in advanced talks with the Imps to sign the left-back and there is understood to be an agreement on the fee.

Toffolo, 24, set to join pending the results of a medical and an agreement over personal terms.

Were we even in for him? I didn't see anywhere link him to us and I had a look at Lincoln's forum and they were none the wiser either. From what I read on there he gets MotM every week and is fully capable of playing at this level and maybe beyond, so could be a gem for a championship side. Cowley link is there so that's probably that  
    The rumour came from within CAFC.
  • Sponsored links:

• PopIcon said:
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:
    He has a young family in the north east and wants to be closer to them (of course money talks) He also has a good relationship with their manager, McCann having previously been at Posh.

Also bare in mind Hull have spent more time recently in the Premier League and can almost definitely pay better wages.
    So he's been with Posh for 5 years, but his partner & child live oop north ?
    Does he have a massive commute every work day or live separately from them ?
  • PopIcon said:
    What's his background got to do with anything?
  • PopIcon said:
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:

If ESI are serious about having a plan to get Charlton into the Premier League then we are going to have to be competing with clubs bigger and richer than Hull for the players we will need. Of course I can see that slow progression is key and busting a wage structure might not be ideal but remember that this is a wage structure put in place by Duchatelet which was the lowest in the league. We signed players on that structure and if we want to sign better players then the wage bill will have to reflect that. 

At this point any plan to progress the club to the Premier League is by far and away overshadowed by the need to stay in the current league and unless things change quite quickly that is looking unlikely to me.
  • I took from LB's press conference that its he and Gallen who are being careful with the purse rather than just ESI.

If another club come in for Maddison now, then i think we will go back in with a better offer, but at the moment LB & SG are happy to wait 12-14 days.
    Fair point. 
    Trouble is in 14 days time we will have played another 3 games.
    We really need a couple in quick. 
  • I took from LB's press conference that its he and Gallen who are being careful with the purse rather than just ESI.

If another club come in for Maddison now, then i think we will go back in with a better offer, but at the moment LB & SG are happy to wait 12-14 days.
    Fair point. 
    Trouble is in 14 days time we will have played another 3 games.
    We really need a couple in quick. 
    At least one match ready midfielder and maybe a striker would make a lot of difference.