Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• edited January 2020
    Richard J said:
    Lets be realistic guys. 

The last two times we have been relegated to L1 we have Championship waged squads which were not appropriate for L1  

I don't want us to be paying over the odds now if we could be in L1 in sux months time. 
    it's rolling the dice time .. we probably/almost certainly need a couple of quality signings to ensure we avoid relegation .. I have no idea what our players are earning, BUT I suspect that the difficulty around signing (e.g.) Maddison or keeping Gallagher was a question of wages .. the new owners are gonna be loath to break the current pay structure until they know who is worth keeping and who is surplus to requirements .. this needs to be done quickly to A) ensure that potential signings are offered a good deal and B) To prevent what you fear, relegation with a big and unsustainable wage bill
  • LTKapal said:
    Decent chance of Birmingham going down if they get a points deduction? Surely that works in our favour?
    Have read that their points deduction is likely to be next season. EFL always bottle it.
  • LTKapal said:
    Decent chance of Birmingham going down if they get a points deduction? Surely that works in our favour?
    It works in every Championship club's favour .... except Birmingham's, of course. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    Does anybody know what the average salary is in the Championship?
    I shouldn't think it really matters.

Not many players will receive the 'average salary'. 
    Instead it'll be whatever each club will actually pay.

Actually they will, that’s literally the meaning of average. 

I get what you are saying but if we are offering League 1 wages we will get League 1 players. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    LTKapal said:
    It works in every Championship club's favour .... except Birmingham's, of course. 
    I meant theoretically in regards to them going in for Maddison but agreed 
  • edited January 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    Does anybody know what the average salary is in the Championship?
    I shouldn't think it really matters.

Not many players will receive the 'average salary'. 
    Instead it'll be whatever each club will actually pay.

Actually they will, that’s literally the meaning of average. 

I get what you are saying but if we are offering League 1 wages we will get League 1 players. 
    I meant that very few players will be paid some statistical average ..... it'll be higher or lower, of course.

But I doubt we will now be offering new signings League 1 wages.
    And while I shouldn't think it'll be anyway near the top end of that paid in this division, it might be more competitive than we think.

After all, apart from arresting our drop down the table, there'll be one eye on building for next season.

•   The average salary was said to be about £320,000 five years ago.  Now some outlets reckon £1,300,000.  There was supposed to have been a massive jump.  Either way players like Maddison will probably be asking for top Championship wages.

I don't know if you remember the Barnsley forward who we went for 5-6 years ago Chris O'Grady?  He'd had one good season in the Champ, but wanted 14 grand a week.  Said to have got it from Brighton as well.  I'd guess Maddison would ask for substantially more.  And why not?  It might be his last contract.  Utter modern football madness mind you.
  • I reckon Maddison will choose us over Brum. That Alan Nixon who everyone gives clout to on here says we offered a good deal. Brum are in the shit with the EFL so might not be able to offer as much in wages after meeting the transfer fee. Who knows. Is what it is 
  • And on top of that, there is the disparity of wealth caused by the Sky parachute payments.
    It effectively divides the division into different groups of financial ability.

And, despite the takeover, we're probably still in the bottom group especially with FFP rules.
    But that doesn't mean we can now only offer new signings League 1 wages.

• Sponsored links:

• It seems incredible that Birmingham are buying players or trying to buy players after they have been caught out a second time. Are they laughing at the league?
    Fair point 
  • Can FFP be got round by a series of lucrative sponsorship deals from some of HE 60 companies?

I'd be happy to have The Valley renamed The ADBD Valley for £50m over five years.
  • Copied from another thread (now closed):

Brown59 said:
    Why does my thread keep being closed because people on here who run it don’t t agree. 
    I still stand by what I said. Now Maddison to Birmingham, no players in for us. Manager not signed.
    panic buys at end of January..
    As I said you will say I was right? 

• edited January 2020
    PopIcon said:
    Get him in... We can do with the aggravation!
  • PopIcon said:
    That reads like he’s turned Birmingham down as well
  • Its a shame Id have been quite happy had we been able to get that Szmodrics ourselves - Felt he did well at Colchester and was disappointed when Bristol City signed him
  • This sums up the January window. The agent of every in demand player is telling their clients to wait until the last minute to try to squeeze every penny they can out of the most desperate bidders.

It’s all well and good telling the club / Gallen / Bowyer to give the player what they want but I highly doubt any player takes a good offer right away - they may even push their demands further. After all what’s another 500 quid p/w if we agreed to 1k?

It’s in their interest to wait and see what else develops.

Nothing that CAFC can do but wait.
    If that was the case no players would sign for a new club until the 31st Jan......but many clubs have already bought players so what you say doesn't hold water.
    Players that have already signed have signed for one of two reasons:

1. they were desperate for a new club and/or only one club was interested
    2. they received an offer that was too good to refuse

Maddison doesn’t fall into the first boat so we’d have to make him an offer that makes him one of the best paid players in the division to get him to sign straight away.

It’s already clear we’re not doing that for anyone, at least not in this window. The only clubs that are are the ones that have more money than sense.
  • Scoham said:
    3:30 Ferguson talks about Maddison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHZsbj4Ac4o
     Doesn’t sound good does it?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2020
    Jamie19 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    why the excitement over Bostock (age 28 lol) ? .. he's played 3 games in England in the past 7 or so years and if he is so terrific, why are Forest prepared to release him early form his loan period .. we might as well have kept Ledley .. are we at the stage when even the hint of getting in (say) a Macclesfield reserve right back sets us all off in a joyous frenzy ?
     Bostock is a massive upgrade on Ledley. I admit that's not saying much, but lets not shit on players just because they're not premier league or top 6 championship standard.
    Agreed, he changed the game at the valley earlier in the season, replacement for Kayal on loan I’d be happy.
    Bowyer would sort Bostock right out. It would be the best thing to happen to him since his "rising young star" went phhtt. However he's 9ne of those players with a name but no form that get associated with various clubs every year so I'll keep my powder dry on that one.
  • PopIcon said:
    Interesting development 
  • PopIcon said:
    Love to see it happen but pretty certain they wouldn't let him rot in the reserves if he didnt leave by Jan 31st. Fergusson may be saying if now but I bet Antony has other ideas, especially if it made a difference to Peterborough getting into the top 6.

• Mate of mine Brown59 has a great take on this subject...
    Is he ITK?

• edited January 2020
    It looks very much like he would like a nice signing on fee and choice of clubs in the summer. Ferguson probably wants the deal done so he can use some of the money to strengthen, but players near the end of their contracts have the power.