Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• First time I have heard Dennis Srbeny mentioned.

He has scored 3 goals in 35 appearances for Norwich. Many of those were championship games where Norwich dominated possession (& he still couldn't score!)

Sounds a very Charlton like forward!
  • Maybe we will look to switch to the dreaded 4-2-3-1, wouldnt be a bad shout with the personnel we have available.

Phillips
    solly/matthews Lockyer Sarr/pearce Purrington
                     Pratley    Morgan
    Green               Gallagher         Doughty
                          Taylor

Add Williams (who will be back on bench on Sunday) and we could move gallagher back and play JW number 10.
    Phillips
    Matthews | Lockyer | Pearce | Purrington
     Pratley | Morgan
    Green | Gallagher | Doughty
    Taylor

That's probably our strongest 11 right now. Sarr to come on late to add additional goal threat/defensive height
  • @sage Alex Neil explains here why Green has barely played. It is a bit concerning re arthritis in his toe as I don't think that gets better, does it?

https://www.deepdaledigest.com/news/alex-neil-explains-two-problems-for-andre-green/
    If that's true that's pretty damning. How is he expected to play every game for us?
  • edited January 2020
    Sage said:
    Prepared to have many non-believers, and that’s fine by me. But having been announced this morning, I’ll now say who the three names were mentioned to me yesterday.

First person mentioned was Dennis Srbeny, Norwich striker, but he’s more of an out an out striker, nothing like Leko, so I was thinking if it’s him, we must be bringing in another striker soon as well. He’d change our style of play a little bit and we need pace in the team.

Second player was Andre Green, this is where the non-believers come in. I was hoping for Keinan Davis, as mentioned in a couple of my previous posts. So I asked if they said Green because of him playing for Villa as well, they said “No, it’s what I’ve been told”. So I thought, okay that wouldn’t be a bad signing. Similar to Leko but more concerned he hadn't even started a game for Preston this season, why?

The final name was Matej Vydra, and that’s who I was hoping for this morning to be completely honest. Not disappointed about Green, because I think he could be an exciting signing, but he has to adjust to playing up front and Vydra has the record in this league already and has rarely played for Burnley. I also know Dyche quite likes us and Bow’s, so it seemed a good fit. Have found out this morning that Vydra’s just had a baby, so maybe we were/are in for him, but that could happen later in the window? I don’t know.

Either way, I’m glad Green is through the door even if he can’t be involved tomorrow. If I get anything else mentioned to me, which isn’t expected, and even if I get shot down with things on here, I’ll try to pass on what I can.
    Thanks for the info as ever @sage

You were way way out with you prediction that it would be announced "around 10am" but otherwise all good : - )

Maybe one or both of the others will still come, we shall see.

PS chair shifting duty on 6 February?
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Replacement for Leko but don't think it will work out the same. The bloke is a winger and we are going to try use him as a striker, doesn't make sense to me. 
    Exactly what we did with Leko.
    The question is why? Yes Leko turned out ok but also looked uncomfortable at times up top. What are the chances of it working out again? I would have preferred a striker that's all. 

I guess the good thing is that it gives us an option of a 4231 or 433 with Williams pushing wide left. Hope it works out well obviously, seems a decent player. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    @sage Alex Neil explains here why Green has barely played. It is a bit concerning re arthritis in his toe as I don't think that gets better, does it?

https://www.deepdaledigest.com/news/alex-neil-explains-two-problems-for-andre-green/
    If that's true that's pretty damning. How is he expected to play every game for us?
    Very much depends on the type of arthritis. If it’s reactive, as an example, it’s temporary and caused via a few different things. They also would hope he plays more, but not every game for us. To me, the arthritis part is almost an excuse from Neil for not using him when others were in front of him. 
  • Macronate said:
    Sage said:
    Prepared to have many non-believers, and that’s fine by me. But having been announced this morning, I’ll now say who the three names were mentioned to me yesterday.

First person mentioned was Dennis Srbeny, Norwich striker, but he’s more of an out an out striker, nothing like Leko, so I was thinking if it’s him, we must be bringing in another striker soon as well. He’d change our style of play a little bit and we need pace in the team.

Second player was Andre Green, this is where the non-believers come in. I was hoping for Keinan Davis, as mentioned in a couple of my previous posts. So I asked if they said Green because of him playing for Villa as well, they said “No, it’s what I’ve been told”. So I thought, okay that wouldn’t be a bad signing. Similar to Leko but more concerned he hadn't even started a game for Preston this season, why?

The final name was Matej Vydra, and that’s who I was hoping for this morning to be completely honest. Not disappointed about Green, because I think he could be an exciting signing, but he has to adjust to playing up front and Vydra has the record in this league already and has rarely played for Burnley. I also know Dyche quite likes us and Bow’s, so it seemed a good fit. Have found out this morning that Vydra’s just had a baby, so maybe we were/are in for him, but that could happen later in the window? I don’t know.

Either way, I’m glad Green is through the door even if he can’t be involved tomorrow. If I get anything else mentioned to me, which isn’t expected, and even if I get shot down with things on here, I’ll try to pass on what I can.
    No use to us then if he's going to be on maternity leave for the next 12 months.
    Typical Charlton, going from injured players to maternity ones. They need to reset their search filter :-)
  • Is this an RD or ESI signing I wonder? Wish him all the best but his record isn’t fantastic and he’s had an injury or two - including a dodgy toe. 
    Feels a little like a League 1 signing rather than Championship but as always, total faith in Gallen. 
  • Sage said:

You were way way out with you prediction that it would be announced "around 10am" but otherwise all good : - )

As long as I’m free from holding the door, cleaning the carpet, and watering the plants, I’ll try my best to arrange the chairs in an orderly fashion on 6th Feb :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Valley11 said:
    Is this an RD or ESI signing I wonder? Wish him all the best but his record isn’t fantastic and he’s had an injury or two - including a dodgy toe. 
    Feels a little like a League 1 signing rather than Championship but as always, total faith in Gallen. 
    Sounds very much like a RD signing to me. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Replacement for Leko but don't think it will work out the same. The bloke is a winger and we are going to try use him as a striker, doesn't make sense to me. 
    The question is why? Yes Leko turned out ok but also looked uncomfortable at times up top. What are the chances of it working out again? I would have preferred a striker that's all. 

I guess the good thing is that it gives us an option of a 4231 or 433 with Williams pushing wide left. Hope it works out well obviously, seems a decent player. 
    When we have a choice we don't play with 2 strikers, or even a number 9.

When we have been at our best over the last 18 months we have played with split strikers and a false 9.

Players described as wingers now and normally either wide strikers, what Bowyer wants, or wide midfielders.  A lot of people would still class Salah, Mane, Sterling etc as wingers. 

• Valley11 said:
    Is this an RD or ESI signing I wonder? Wish him all the best but his record isn’t fantastic and he’s had an injury or two - including a dodgy toe. 
    It’s a Charlton signing. I doubt any extra budget has had to be released as this will just be using the money freed up by Leko returning to WBA. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:

When we have been at our best over the last 18 months we have played with split strikers and a false 9.

Players described as wingers now and normally either wide strikers, what Bowyer wants, or wide midfielders.  A lot of people would still class Salah, Mane, Sterling etc as wingers. 

I think we have definitely been at our best in a 442 with a diamond midfield. We started well like that with Leko and Taylor. Last season with Taylor and Grant up top was our best. 

I completely disagree with you that Bowyer wants "wide strikers". We haven't seen that style at all. We signed Leko and played him as a striker, I am expecting the same with Green. I do class Mane, Sterling etc as wingers, and most of the time those players play as wingers in a 4231 or 433, but that isn't how we have ever played under Bowyer. 
  • If we're planning on signing 3 in total (Green +2), would that be 2 perm signings and we are keeping Kayal or 1 replacement for him and 1 person in to boost numbers? 
  • If we're planning on signing 3 in total (Green +2), would that be 2 perm signings and we are keeping Kayal or 1 replacement for him and 1 person in to boost numbers? 
    The second option, almost certainly.
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:

As long as I’m free from holding the door, cleaning the carpet, and watering the plants, I’ll try my best to arrange the chairs in an orderly fashion on 6th Feb :wink:
    @Covered End is doing 
  • Richard J said:
    Would be so Charlton to even be losing our loan players before we should, really hope this isn't true. From a recent interview Bowyer made it seem as if chelsea wanted him here as he is experiencing both sides of the game, winning and losing, plus is guaranteed game time as he's one of our best players. The kids such a talent though and will go onto big things
    Suspect he will stay here unless a Prem loan became available. 

Connor already has a Premiership future at Chelsea, so I think they would rather he stayed here as a pivotal player than be rotated somewhere like WBA. 
    Or maybe they would prefer that he was being rotated elsewhere rather than being played to death and having the shit kicked out of him here. 
    Hopefully Chelsea will recognise what is going on with our injury crisis and hope that in a month’s time we will be able to rotate him a bit more 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:

If Both Taylor and Bonne are fit they will play like Grant and Taylor, where if one is wide the other one is in the box and vice versa. Not sure other than 45 minutes against Bristol City that will be seen at Cafc now.
    Football positions are for every changing that's why you can't just be a winger in the modern game. You have to be able to have a defensive side to your game or otherwise you spend more time on the bench and come on as an impact player.
    Would love to see either Williams, Taylor and Bonne together or Green, Taylor and Bonne so we have pace and movement.
    May just be a pipe dream but we live in hope.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:

I think we have definitely been at our best in a 442 with a diamond midfield. We started well like that with Leko and Taylor. Last season with Taylor and Grant up top was our best. 

I completely disagree with you that Bowyer wants "wide strikers". We haven't seen that style at all. We signed Leko and played him as a striker, I am expecting the same with Green. I do class Mane, Sterling etc as wingers, and most of the time those players play as wingers in a 4231 or 433, but that isn't how we have ever played under Bowyer. 
    That's exactly how we play, when we have the choice.  Taylor, Grant, Parker, Leko etc didnt play "between the posts".    Our "number 10" be it Ward, Williams, Aribo or Oztumer is the most advanced central player most of the time. 

Watch Liverpool play and Famino plays much deeper than a 9.   It's the same as when Pep was at Barca and used Pedro and Villa with Messi in the middle.

• No stirring of my loins to the announcement of Andre green loan move to the addicks. Seems like a Roly signing imo. Still cutting his costs even though he's on his way out. Or is he ? 
  • markmc68 said:
    No stirring of my loins to the announcement of Andre green loan move to the addicks. Seems like a Roly signing imo. Still cutting his costs even though he's on his way out. Or is he ? 
    Could be the new board / Gallen not wanting to spend too much in January because its silly / panic season where you overspend for average players

Any proper rebuilding would be best done in the summer

Of course the risk is that we end up rebuilding in League One again but that may be where we spend a bit this month to try and reduce that risk
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:

That's exactly how we play, when we have the choice.  Taylor, Grant, Parker, Leko etc didnt play "between the posts".    Our "number 10" be it Ward, Williams, Aribo or Oztumer is the most advanced central player most of the time. 

Watch Liverpool play and Famino plays much deeper than a 9.   It's the same as when Pep was at Barca and used Pedro and Villa with Messi in the middle.

But we are not Barcelona. I do agree our strikers don't play as out and out strikers, but they play up top nonetheless. 

Look I will back Green and for obvious reasons I hope the fella does brilliant. I am not criticising him at all, I just think it's a huge risk to ask him to play in an unfamiliar role. We are in a battle and come the end of the season he will be criticised if he hasn't scored 5+ (and gets a run of games). Actually I feel that would be unfair as he's not a striker.
  • Uboat said:
    Yes! Andre Green!

(Googles Andre Green)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Green_(ghost_hunter)
    76 is a bit older than I'd like, but in Gallen we trust.
  • Sage said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    @sage Alex Neil explains here why Green has barely played. It is a bit concerning re arthritis in his toe as I don't think that gets better, does it?

Very much depends on the type of arthritis. If it’s reactive, as an example, it’s temporary and caused via a few different things. They also would hope he plays more, but not every game for us. To me, the arthritis part is almost an excuse from Neil for not using him when others were in front of him. 
    Thanks, Sage - hopefully it is indeed reactive and you have sussed Alex Neil. 
  • I’ve heard a whisper that tomorrow’s signing is a centre half who has worked with Gallen before. I have a name but will wait till the announcement to see if it is correct rather than start any hares running. 

Edit. I see from reading through the thread for the first time in a couple of hours that the name I have heard has already been mentioned. 
    I mentioned Grant Hall a few pages back. QPR cb and Gallen has links with QPR. Was it him?

I’d be surprised if that was a loan though. 
    Hall is exactly what we need .. alongside Lockyer that would be a big improvement in the middle