Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Huddersfield Town | Tues 10 December | Post-match views

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2019
    3 at the back with Solly and Purrington as wing backs just doesn't work - why does Bowyer persist with this formation?

Dont think its Bows preferred choice...he doesn't have any other options with a lack of midfield

3 at the back with Solly and Purrington as wing backs just doesn't work - why does Bowyer persist with this formation?

Dont think its Bows preferred choice...he doesn't have any other options with a lack of midfield

He could have played Morgan and dropped one of the centre backs and played 4-4-2
  • Options
    Terrible until Taylor came on and then unlucky to lose. 

I don’t think we can “just wait until January” - we’ll be in big trouble if we don’t pick up some points between now and then plus that fixture list in Jan looks brutal.

Fingers crosses Lyle can start on Friday & Bowen has an off game, that’s about the most optimistic I can be right now.
  • Options
    Positives - no injuries?
    Positives - one game closer to the Takeover and Jan window

• Options
    I got some flack on here at the weekend for telling it like it was at Boro. Tonight we were marginally better at times. But same result in the end, whether conceding in the first minute or the last.

V v worrying when we lose to those below us - Luton, Boro, Hudds, all of whom were equally short on confidence and struggling with injuries.

Yes, Roland's regime carries pretty much all if not totally all of the blame but we are letting ourselves down badly at times.

I've no idea why Taylor didn't come on for start of second half and even less idea why Vennings came on instead of Oshilaja or Morgan.
    I guess we are saving them for the more difficult game. Surely target the weaker opposition in our circumstances.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    When you've lost two games 1-0 in a row, and had about 3 shots on target in 3 games, it might be time to focus on the other players, rather than the defence. How many shots on target did we allow Huddersfield? It wasn't many. We really don't look like scoring, is the primary problem 
    But he keeps picking 5:defenders - needs more in midfield to create chances for the forwards who are left isolated and bereft of any service 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good to see no one is over reacting tonight 
    What about reacting after watching 2 months of us losing nearly every game? 
    Smallest budget in the league and an injury crisis beyond our control. 
    Get the takeover done and next season will be completely different. 
    It'll be different in the sense that we'll be in league one 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    The negativity still surprises me on here too often. 
    There's always been a few serial Miserabilists ....... but I guess most are just venting their frustration right now, Dazzler.

We didn't play great but we all know the reason why. Solly's poor clearance to set up a sucker punch defeat in the last minute of Added Time is hard to stomach. People are going to go home and kick the cat in frustration.

• Options
    I got some flack on here at the weekend for telling it like it was at Boro. Tonight we were marginally better at times. But same result in the end, whether conceding in the first minute or the last.

V v worrying when we lose to those below us - Luton, Boro, Hudds, all of whom were equally short on confidence and struggling with injuries.

Yes, Roland's regime carries pretty much all if not totally all of the blame but we are letting ourselves down badly at times.

I've no idea why Taylor didn't come on for start of second half and even less idea why Vennings came on instead of Oshilaja or Morgan.
    He was told by the physio that he could do maximum 45 on Saturday, but would be a lot less on Tuesday. Can't blame Bowyer for that. 

You can blame him for our choice of formation and play style however. At the end of the day we finished that game with basically what I imagine our first team to be, minus Cullen and Williams.

Cullen is a massive miss for us, and it's no surprise that Pratley and the rest of our midfield have not ticked since he got injured.

I don't think it's pretty, but think Bowyer needs to swallow some pride and we need to try and play some more direct football whilst Cullen is out. Unless we find a replacement in the meantime, opposition teams find it to easy to make us manoeuvre the ball to the full/wing backs who then have no option to pass it back which invites pressure on us. 

On the odd occasion we do manage to get the balls through the lines it ends up with leko who nine times out of tens does something stupid. Players like Sarr, Morgan, Gallagher can play decent long balls and I'd rather see us try and run into the channels and aim for flick on by Boone (who is actually decent in the air). 

Anything has to be better then what we served last two games. 
  • Options
    Having the scum down the road flying up the table isn't helping ... either. 
  • Options
    Two of those defenders need to work as wing-backs. Solly and Purrington are not wing-backs. But we kind of went 4-4-2 in the second half with Sarr at left-back. Unfortunately we left Purrington out there on the wing. Basically playing with ten. We still did okay without looking a threat, but it was crying out for Purrington off, idk any sort of forward-minded player on
  • Options
    Most alarming thing for me.is how uncomfortable we look when in possession. We are struggling to string 3 passes together at the moment. The constant giving the ball away is farcical.

Gifting goals regularly as well. Whilst we desperately need the injured players back, we need an injection of quality as well. Defensively we are looking really poor, no cohesion between whichever centre backs play and the full backs are allowing far too many balls to get into the box.

Bowyer is not above criticism and the Vennings ahead of Morgan or Ledley substitution was bizzare. Would also have been looking to get at least 30 mins out of Taylor tonight.

Need the takeover done as soon as possible and to get 5/6 in as quickly as possible.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    love bowyer and he will get it right again but at the moment we have completely given up on trying to play football - once again, we had 6 defenders out there plus a goalkeeper - doesn't leave a lot to play football with - i get the threat of grant in behind but i'd sooner we just go back to 442 and stick the talented kids in on Friday - sarr is first out the door for me - his occasional silky pass doesn't make up for his lack of aggression, his mistakes and the fact that despite being so big, he's awful in the air.purrington is getting found out, solly must have been knackered coz his lazy attempt at a clearance led to the goal. We won't win friday with same approach - go for it with morgan, the kid who came on and gallagher in the middle - put leko in the hole, taylor and bonne up top and doughty as a full back / wing back - arrange the rest however, it makes no odds - we have to go for games and have a threat.  
    Yep....but for the fact we have a massive injury crisis and we can’t do much else.

are you really saying start with vennings, Morgan and Gallagher on Friday? You do realise it’s not an under 23 match??
    r u saying we should play with 6 defenders??? what i suggest is the only alternative in the circumstances - worth a try because i've liked pratley this season getting his toe in etc in front of back 4 but ever since he started doing same in front of back 5 we have had zero wins - add to the fact solly and purrington were clearly told to sit until the last 20 we had zero chance of seeing any football from charlton. id sooner go down trying on friday than what i've just seen - i never want to see a back 3+ pratley again and i said that 6 weeks ago 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    There's always been a few serial Miserabilists ....... but I guess most are just venting their frustration right now, Dazzler.

We didn't play great but we all know the reason why. Solly's poor clearance to set up a sucker punch defeat in the last minute of Added Time is hard to stomach. People are going to go home and kick the cat in frustration.

But we've also watched yet another game where we have created virtually no chances against an injury hit team below us in the league - its not just conceding (yet another) last minute goal that's making us frustrated!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Where can I get a cat at 10:30pm
    Next door will have one. Right now, you'll find it shitting in your garden. :smile:

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has anyone got a clip of our disallowed goal?
  • Options

Oggy Red said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Nope.

Im usually someone that takes a step back and tries to analyse before giving my post match opinions, but that tonight was unacceptable.

It seasoned pros like Pearce (who Dazzler said had a good game!) continually fouling and making stupid decisions that are beginning to wear thin. Leko’s half hearted performances and Sarr’s basic errors. 

It’s not frustration anymore, it’s becoming unforgivable.
  • Options
    Easy to focus on the defence as the blame but for me the midfield was woeful tonight. Pratley has had a decent season so far but was not at the races. Gallagher has been sussed out a little and shows his main weakness again in being quite sloppy when he receives the ball facing our goal. But I will not daily his effort or commitment and he is often the catalyst for getting the team and fans going.
    We didn’t win many second balls and Bonne is looking in need of a rest. Leko continues to frustrate particularly as the spark seems to have gone out of his attacking play. 
    My one major grip is Bowyer’s decision to bring on Vennings. He looked lost and did nothing but lose the ball. What does he dislike so much about Morgan? Surely he was the better option for the last ten minutes.
    Anyhow, we keep going and hoping our mistakes like Solly’s tonight are not punished against a Hull team who will give us a bigger test than tonight.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    love bowyer and he will get it right again but at the moment we have completely given up on trying to play football - once again, we had 6 defenders out there plus a goalkeeper - doesn't leave a lot to play football with - i get the threat of grant in behind but i'd sooner we just go back to 442 and stick the talented kids in on Friday - sarr is first out the door for me - his occasional silky pass doesn't make up for his lack of aggression, his mistakes and the fact that despite being so big, he's awful in the air.purrington is getting found out, solly must have been knackered coz his lazy attempt at a clearance led to the goal. We won't win friday with same approach - go for it with morgan, the kid who came on and gallagher in the middle - put leko in the hole, taylor and bonne up top and doughty as a full back / wing back - arrange the rest however, it makes no odds - we have to go for games and have a threat.  
    Yep....but for the fact we have a massive injury crisis and we can’t do much else.

are you really saying start with vennings, Morgan and Gallagher on Friday? You do realise it’s not an under 23 match??
    r u saying we should play with 6 defenders??? what i suggest is the only alternative in the circumstances - worth a try because i've liked pratley this season getting his toe in etc in front of back 4 but ever since he started doing same in front of back 5 we have had zero wins - add to the fact solly and purrington were clearly told to sit until the last 20 we had zero chance of seeing any football from charlton. id sooner go down trying on friday than what i've just seen - i never want to see a back 3+ pratley again and i said that 6 weeks ago 
    We didn’t play with six defenders.

solly
    pearce
    sarr
    lockyer
    purrington

that equals 5!!!

im saying that bowyer has a difficult job in fielding 11 fit players. I’m saying that a starting midfield of vennings, Morgan and Gallagher is stupid when we are getting overrun with experienced midfielders in the team. Maybe rest Phillips and Bonne and play Maynard Brewer or what ever he is called and stick Davison up top. Let’s call the guy back from
    colchester and start him too
  • Options
    Solly shouldn’t be nowhere near the starting 11 when you have Matthews and Oshilaja on the bench. Pathetic performance again tonight . Can’t defend for shite and we have 5 defenders on the pitch . Could play til Friday and still not score . 
  • Options
    Taylor 
    Williams 
    Cullen 
    They make us what we are. 
    Take them out of the team and we are struggling. 
    Let's get this takeover done and move forward. 
    Said exactly the same thing, Gallagher doesn’t look the same player without them either.

still trust in LB, he’s the man and let’s see where we are with a few more back and a few bodies in
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Two of those defenders need to work as wing-backs. Solly and Purrington are not wing-backs. But we kind of went 4-4-2 in the second half with Sarr at left-back. Unfortunately we left Purrington out there on the wing. Basically playing with ten. We still did okay without looking a threat, but it was crying out for Purrington off, idk any sort of forward-minded player on
    We should have started 4-4-2 with 2 banks of 4 ....... and played anyone who could run in a flat midfield. 
    Stop the rot. It's wot Curbs would've done, right? :wink:

As the game progressed, formation could have been managed and changed as needed.

• Options
    Hopeless - such a negative formation. We have no creativity and seem reliant on hoofball. So many of our players are limited technically and we can't string two passes together.

Losing in injury time with some comedy defending was the icing on the cake.

Huddersfield weren't great but we were far worse and look like a poor L1 side. Can't see how we can avoid a relegation battle.