Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2019 General Election - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Broadband and renationalising aside, the conservatives are increasing spending, aren't they signed up to decarbonising by 2030? And the green new deal is just buzzwords that will be a natural implication of decarbonising by 2030

So yes, I think people might support those policies, it's probably some of the others that might worry them.

Its like saying, Boris Johnson wants to spend more on the NHS, all the electorate agree with that, vote Conservative. 

It oversimplifies a complicated argument.
  • Options
    Should a 44% share of the vote give a large majority of seats? A flawed electoral system.
    Perhaps a referendum to change it to something more representative, as that would surely be popular...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_United_Kingdom_Alternative_Vote_referendum
    The two main parties don't want a change in the voting system as both benefit from it. It's deeply flawed.
  • Options
    Gareth Bacon, Conservative, former Sidcup (R) FC first teamer and staunch Man United supporter, comes off the bench to replace Jo Johnson and wins the the Tory stronghold seat of Orpington (with 30,882 supporters) 
  • Options
    Is that Seth on twitter?
  • Options
    I'll get out of bed and follow that order. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gareth Bacon, Conservative, former Sidcup (R) FC first teamer and staunch Man United supporter, comes off the bench to replace Jo Johnson and wins the the Tory stronghold seat of Orpington (with 30,882 supporters) 
    That's where I live. 
    One of the strongest Tory seats in the country. 
    I've lost count of how many protest votes I've done 
  • Options
    Key example of my bug bear of over exaggeration and social media dominance in escalating a divisive society. 

There will always be wallies with exaggerated views. That’s not a real problem, but social media gives them a platform and an encouragement to keep going more extreme. That nasty Katie Hopkins is one before some start scrambling to unwind bias.

The sad point in this is not that there’s an individual with this exaggerated view, it’s tge sheer volume of people that like, support, encourage it in just a few hours
    At least f*wits like Katie Hopkins are restricted to partisan media channels.

Mark Steel will get another BBC "comedy" commission.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Thankfully the result hasn't been as disastrous as first feared. The Tories will still have a decent majority but it's not so large that it'll be impossible to overturn in five years. I thought we were looking at 2029 before the opposition had a shot.

Time to get a new face in and take the progressive campaign in a different direction. The road to 2024 starts here.
     I just want parties with realistic policies and proper leaders for the next Election. The options were all so, so poor. 

Labour may need til 2029 to wash away the stain of Corbyn and co. 

I look forward to seeing how they transforms from here.
    Labour’s manifesto pledges were not radical. The majority of them would have brought us in line with other successful European countries.

The “cult” of Corbyn and Brexit have contributed to the defeat sure but these policies are actually quite popular if you isolate them from the man.
    I don't think any single one of the policies were 'radical', taken on their own, but bundled into a massive manifesto together, and sold to a country that has been told it has to be austere, it certainly came across that way. 
    I find it impossible to disagree with this. There were simply too many things in the Labour manifesto that simply would have forced much higher taxes not only to medium and high earners, but low earners too. We'd all have "free" this and that but all of us that work to earn our money would be footing the bill and have lower income as a result.
  • Options
    That's where I live. 
    I'm not a Tory supporter but he is a friend of mine (our respective 16 year olds have been at the same schools since they were 4) and really "gets" sport. In addition to playing rugby at a decent level and being a United supporter, he also plays squash and tennis on a regular basis and would make a decent Sports Minister in my opinion - and hopefully a proper influence for  the retention and increase of sports facilities!
  • Options
    That's where I live. 
    I'm not a Tory supporter but he is a friend of mine (our respective 16 year olds have been at the same schools since they were 4) and really "gets" sport. In addition to playing rugby at a decent level and being a United supporter, he also plays squash and tennis on a regular basis and would make a decent Sports Minister in my opinion - and hopefully a proper influence for  the retention and increase of sports facilities!
    That would cost money.
  • Options
    That's where I live. 
    In that case I wish him all the best
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Thankfully the result hasn't been as disastrous as first feared. The Tories will still have a decent majority but it's not so large that it'll be impossible to overturn in five years. I thought we were looking at 2029 before the opposition had a shot.

Time to get a new face in and take the progressive campaign in a different direction. The road to 2024 starts here.
     I just want parties with realistic policies and proper leaders for the next Election. The options were all so, so poor. 

Labour’s manifesto pledges were not radical. The majority of them would have brought us in line with other successful European countries.

The “cult” of Corbyn and Brexit have contributed to the defeat sure but these policies are actually quite popular if you isolate them from the man.
    I don't think any single one of the policies were 'radical', taken on their own, but bundled into a massive manifesto together, and sold to a country that has been told it has to be austere, it certainly came across that way. 
    I find it impossible to disagree with this. There were simply too many things in the Labour manifesto that simply would have forced much higher taxes not only to medium and high earners, but low earners too. We'd all have "free" this and that but all of us that work to earn our money would be footing the bill and have lower income as a result.
    Personally I'd be willing to sacrifice a small amount each year so that it benefits those more needy than myself but then perhaps that's the difference between myself and the majority in the country we now live in. We live in a selfish time where people only look out for themselves.

One thing that has intrigued me is that during the whole Brexit issue and what the deal looks like is leavers constantly pointed to Scandinavia and how they do well outside. But what about the high taxation there? That is conveniently ignored during this election when it came to Labour's proposals. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In 5 years time there will be people looking for ways to overturn Brexit only to lose another election. 

• Options
    Sky news really need to stop using the term Stonking 

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Personally I'd be willing to sacrifice a small amount each year so that it benefits those more needy than myself but then perhaps that's the difference between myself and the majority in the country we now live in. We live in a selfish time where people only look out for themselves.

One thing that has intrigued me is that during the whole Brexit issue and what the deal looks like is leavers constantly pointed to Scandinavia and how they do well outside. But what about the high taxation there? That is conveniently ignored during this election when it came to Labour's proposals. 
    We already sacrifice for those more needy via tax / benefits 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:

One example that absolutely mystified me. Yes, many countries do nationalise key industries but is it truly truly a priority in the scheme of things in the UK right now? A government always has the option to tighten regulation around those they regard as key strategic industries. And Royal Mail also? Why in God’s name would we want to re-nationalise Royal Mail?

Also, some of the policies around intervention on business, plus 4 day weeks were damaging rather than radical. Whilst it was reported that certain of the utility companies were putting in place plans to change their corporate structure in order to protect themselves from some of the aspects of nationalisation, what you won’t hear of now is what I know certain non-utility FTSE 100 companies were planning to do had Labour won. Some of the proposed tax revenues Labour were banking on in their manifesto were heading out of this country quicker than you could say “ For the many, not the few”.

In my opinion, whilst we have dodged a bullet, the Tories need to deliver now and they really do need to address the ever widening disparity in incomes that is becoming more and more divisive in this country.

• Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Labour supporters who have been vocal all over Facebook , this morning:

Nope just calling all non Labour voters stupid.

• Options
    FTSE 250 just risen by 4%. Let's hope that this is an indication that investment will flow once more now that Parliament has been unblocked. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!