Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2019 General Election - Match Thread

Comments

• Laura Pidcock has also lost her seat
  • Jo Swinson loses her seat to the SNP.
    I thought that she was a potential Prime Minister!!! 
  • I voted Valley Party

• Honest question... how can Kensington be 69% remain but elect a Tory?
    Because the Lib Dens took more votes from Labour than Conservative, just enough to make the difference. 
    Because the Lib Dens took more votes from Labour than Conservative, just enough to make the difference. 
    Ranked voting is the way to go. 
  • edited December 2019
    Honest question... how can Kensington be 69% remain but elect a Tory?
    Ranked voting is the way to go. 

MMP please. Currently in use in one form or another in Germany, New Zealand, Scotland and London Assembly among others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT0I-sdoSXU
  • Jo Swinson loses her seat to the SNP.
    I thought that she was a potential Prime Minister!!! 
    She said she’d be PM and she’s not even an MP!
  • edited December 2019
    After 49 years, Dennis Skinner loses his seat in Bolsover.
  • Sponsored links:

• Some confusion over Dagenham and Rainham.
  • edited December 2019
    Thankfully the result hasn't been as disastrous as first feared. The Tories will still have a decent majority but it's not so large that it'll be impossible to overturn in five years. I thought we were looking at 2029 before the opposition had a shot.

Time to get a new face in and take the progressive campaign in a different direction. The road to 2024 starts here.
  • Conservatives gain Newcastle-under-Lyme for the first time since 1919.
  • edited December 2019
    @Callumcafc while I'm very much in favour of MMP too, we'd need to make the constituencies significantly bigger if we're not going to expand the number of MPs to an unwieldy number. That's not so much of a problem in the big cities, but it is in the more rural areas, particularly in Scotland. And I'm not sure about the impact of certain parties only standing in NI/Wales/Scotland on the allocation of list members - you might need to have regional lists for it to work fairly.
  • Biggest Conservative majority since Thatcher in 1987
  • Sponsored links:

• Always amazes me how local areas can be so different in such a short distance. 

My Bexley & Sidcup contingency the Conservatives got a 20k majority and 65% vote  share, Labour 23%. Just a few miles away in Greenwich Conservative get just 22%, Labour 57%. 

• I love this myth pushed by Corbyn supporters that everyone loves Corbyn they just don't know it yet. 
  • Personality as opposed to policy can be a big factor and in this respect Johnson walked it -  a lot of the British public still love him.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Thankfully the result hasn't been as disastrous as first feared. The Tories will still have a decent majority but it's not so large that it'll be impossible to overturn in five years. I thought we were looking at 2029 before the opposition had a shot.

Time to get a new face in and take the progressive campaign in a different direction. The road to 2024 starts here.
     I just want parties with realistic policies and proper leaders for the next Election. The options were all so, so poor. 

Labour may need til 2029 to wash away the stain of Corbyn and co. 

I look forward to seeing how they transforms from here.
    Labour’s manifesto pledges were not radical. The majority of them would have brought us in line with other successful European countries.

The “cult” of Corbyn and Brexit have contributed to the defeat sure but these policies are actually quite popular if you isolate them from the man.
    Already got 2 LOLs on this... sigh...

• Should a 44% share of the vote give a large majority of seats? A flawed electoral system.
  • edited December 2019
    Should a 44% share of the vote give a large majority of seats? A flawed electoral system.
    Perhaps a referendum to change it to something more representative, as that would surely be popular...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_United_Kingdom_Alternative_Vote_referendum
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!