Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2019 General Election - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    When you say 'we' does that include Northern Ireland?
  • Options
    I keep hearing tonight that this is a Brexit election.
    If that's so, why are the Lib Dems predicted to do so poorly?
    Combination I'd say. Firstly, Swinson is crap, secondly, there's a squeeze between labour and Tories, thirdly, still tainted by the coalition (know lots of natural lib Dems, all hate the Tories) fourthly, the unilateral policy of cancelling article 50 didn't sit right. Needed a second referendum
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    People have no faith in them to manage the nation beyond cancelling brexit?
     So it's not a Brexit election then.
    Not for the public, we aren't all stupid enough to be so short sighted to only think of Brexit as part of this election. 

At least I don't think we are.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    seth plum said:
    When you say 'we' does that include Northern Ireland?
    No, they’ve always had their own insane politics. I assume people there will continue to vote based on the church their grandparents went to. 
  • Options
    The question developing is what is the UK.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    People have no faith in them to manage the nation beyond cancelling brexit?
     So it's not a Brexit election then.
    Not for the public, we aren't all stupid enough to be so short sighted to only think of Brexit as part of this election. 

At least I don't think we are.
    I agree, this is wider than Brexit. The British people are not stupid. They weren’t buying that only the top 5% including 150 billionaires would be footing the bill for Labour’s proposed policies. It might sound great, but back in the real world.......
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I refer you to my previous point - the UK is...broken into separate pieces, diametrically opposed to one another, and putting it back together might not be possible. 
  • Options
    Possibly because a majority of people voted LEAVE and the Lib Dems stood on a 'Stop Brexit' ticket.
  • Options
    Let's remember only 3 seats have been declared so far!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blyth Valley. The Brexit party won the seat for the Conservatives. They took votes from Labour. A lot don't get this.
    Farage kept saying this in his BBC interview (when he wasn’t talking about touring with Trump)
    0 MPs for the Brexit party but ultimately they’ve handed this majority to the Tories.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Possibly because a majority of people voted LEAVE and the Lib Dems stood on a 'Stop Brexit' ticket.
     I hear ya Len. But nearly 50% voted remain.

In terms of Brexit, only one party was offering leave and the other was pretty much offering remain.

If this was purely a Brexit election then the Lib Dems would have done significantly better. Wouldn't they?
  • Options
    Still have a feel that Conservative won’t get as many seats as predicted. 
  • Options
    sorry, another question as just got home and bit pissed. On bbc says labour 46% Con 34% Brexit 10%

Amazing if con has such a majority with low voting percentages 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    sorry, another question as just got home and bit pissed. On bbc says labour 46% Con 34% Brexit 10%

First Past the Post system at its finest. 
  • Options
    Same, but should be enough. The exit polls have never, ever been that wrong have they?
  • Options
    I’m not sure, the Tory’s winning Blyth Valley was pretty telling. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I’m not sure, the Tory’s winning Blyth Valley was pretty telling. 
    And exactly in line with what the exit poll said would happen there.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    MrOneLung said:

But the very nature of it means that reform only gains traction when results like this happen and the party in control are never going to change it are they
  • Options
    Pretty slow here as per usual. I'm off for a smoke in the bogs and a cold pie.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Social media is a funny thing.  Judging by my Facebook and Twitter feeds over the past few weeks, you would think hardly anyone votes Tory, yet come election night, they win by a very large margin. 

I think Labour voters are just very very vocal about it 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    seth plum said:

I refer you to my previous point - the UK is...broken into separate pieces, diametrically opposed to one another, and putting it back together might not be possible. 
    I think you may be right. If I were in Scotland right now, despite disliking Nationalism intensely I hate the Etonocracy even more, and would work for independence.
    In Ireland the prospects are darkening, and will continue to do so when ultimately there are two different systems either side of the land border.
    In urban areas the move towards an integrated society will possibly be in a state of constant tension against the shires where the political events show they dislike integration.
    In the industrialised UK 'rust belt' which will extend under proposed policies there will be a wasteland.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    MrOneLung said:

But the very nature of it means that reform only gains traction when results like this happen and the party in control are never going to change it are they
    Oh it will never change. Turkeys don’t vote for Christmas. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Social media is a funny thing.  Judging by my Facebook and Twitter feeds over the past few weeks, you would think hardly anyone votes Tory, yet come election night, they win by a very large margin. 

I think it's more accurate to say Labour supposed supporters are less likely to get out and vote.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    MrOneLung said:

Actually think it is live percentages on results in rather than national predictions 
  • Options

At work this week we were discussing the "silent majority" and their influence. Don't know if there is any evidence to suggest this exists, but it certainly seems to play out...
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I think it's more accurate to say Labour supposed supporters are less likely to get out and vote.
    I don’t buy that for a second mate 
  • Options
    wonder if Brexit party will get more votes (and no seats) than the LibDs and SNP ?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
     I hear ya Len. But nearly 50% voted remain.

In terms of Brexit, only one party was offering leave and the other was pretty much offering remain.

If this was purely a Brexit election then the Lib Dems would have done significantly better. Wouldn't they?

Remainers don't think that simplistically. By virtue of our FPTP system, the better route to Remain was clearly always to vote Labour and a second referendum.
  • Options
    I think it’s more that Labour supporters tend to be younger and therefore more engaged with social media. Tory voters tend to be older and therefore engage with traditional media (newspapers etc) so you see more Tory representation in the printed press.

These are generalisations but I think broadly accurate.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!