Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2019 General Election - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    The Union will be broken at the end of January if Boris Johnson drives through whatever he calls his deal.

• Options
    edited December 2019

Thinking about it, I don't know why I was so surprised at the initial exit poll result.

In 2017 Corbyn was the most popular he was ever going to be, a Christ like level of popularity with people chanting his name everywhere he went and he still lost to one of the most unpopular Tory leaders in recent history.

So two years later after a huge drop in popularity he faces one of the most popular Tory leaders since Churchill how was it ever going to be anything other than a Tory landslide.  I personally don't like Boris, but if you look outside of your own bubble, he is very popular nationwide.

Time will tell the true extent of the result! Popcorn at the ready.

• Options
    Labour have potentially lost Eltham! 
    Nah, unless everyone did what I did in protest and voted Green!
  • Options
    I feel sorry for Clive Mendonca and his colleagues at Nissan. Turkeys voting for Christmas.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Wow. Exit poll suggest a massive Tory majority of 86.

Ha ha ha ha

Glad you find it funny. You're alright Jack.
    It’s not funny as in funny, but you’ve got to admit it’s bizarre. I reckon about 90-95% of the noise on Facebook, Twitter and forums such as this is ‘anti Tory’, manipulating the backdrop with exaggerated guilting and shaming imo.

Yet every time it comes to people casting a vote, it turns out most people actually vote Tory. It’s bizarre. 

I think that's the issue, on here it may be mostly red, but go on other forums, particularly that are more national and it's a different story. Same as Facebook & Twitter, what percentage of people are actually on those platforms?
    Agree, we're all in our own little bubbles. You're more likely to associate with people with the same opinions as yourself and thus what you think will happen is likely distorted. Personally I have people on my Facebook who share some very controversial views and I'll just hide them. How many other thousands/millions are there seeing those similar views that we hide from ourselves. But that again shows the problem with our current situation, by not accepting all different opinions and analysis we silo ourselves into hearing what we want to hear and it makes the whole thing so so dangerous. Brexit proved that facts and experts don't matter, tonight is forcing home that point.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Sadly, I think this needed to happen if the exit polls are about right.

We have the awful tories, followed by the absolute dregs. As people have said, hopefully this will mean the Labour party can progress and provide a meaningful opposition, it really shouldn't be difficult right now even if Brexit muddy the waters.

If those at the helm of Labour don't smell the coffee now then we really are in trouble politically.

Sad times, but hopefully the wake up call that's needed.
    I may have misunderstood but are you saying those that voted Tory are the absolute dregs?
  • Options
    Will be interesting to see the split of the Lib Dem/Labour vote. I suspect it might of let the Tories in in quite a few seats. They should of done a deal. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Tories confident of gaining Sunderland Central... heads in hands here.
    It really is baffling, you can show these people the devastation to their local areas that Brexit will bring but it will be ignored for whatever reason. We live in an age where data and evidence is abundant but ever more so people are choosing not to believe it. What's that thing about stupidity and doing the same thing over and over?
    To some people lying to is more important. 17.4 Million people voted in 2016 to leave the EU....and then were denied their right. That makes people angry & not respected. Especially if they are told they didnt know what they were voting for.... .as if the people telling them that did & are superior. 

Also lots of people in Leave areas have seen "immigrants" settle in their towns, taking their jobs & reducing wages. This influx of people also stretches infrastructure & local services. Not all the travails of the NHS is down to austerity. 
    Not a single word of that second paragraph is true
    The first paragraph is though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Rothko said:
    colthe3rd said:
    It really is baffling, you can show these people the devastation to their local areas that Brexit will bring but it will be ignored for whatever reason. We live in an age where data and evidence is abundant but ever more so people are choosing not to believe it. What's that thing about stupidity and doing the same thing over and over?
    To some people lying to is more important. 17.4 Million people voted in 2016 to leave the EU....and then were denied their right. That makes people angry & not respected. Especially if they are told they didnt know what they were voting for.... .as if the people telling them that did & are superior. 

Also lots of people in Leave areas have seen "immigrants" settle in their towns, taking their jobs & reducing wages. This influx of people also stretches infrastructure & local services. Not all the travails of the NHS is down to austerity. 
    The first paragraph is though

They certainly were lied to by the leave campaign, but then cranks (and I mean this in the nicest way possible) think you won something
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    se9addick said:
    Rothko said:
    BTW, how do you stop the SNP now from getting another referendum? Scotland is so far away from England and Wales now, they've overwhelmingly voted remain twice now if this is an EU related election. Their mandate is stronger then ever
    Because Boris said he won’t grant another referendum and, with a majority of this size, he won’t have to do anything he doesn’t want to.

Queue the next constitutional crisis.
    The Tories will then get a shoeing in the Scottish Parliament elections next year,  you then can't really say no if the SNP win a Scottish election with a majority (and they'll get close to 50% of the vote as well)
    i think the results up in Holyrood next year could really leave it impossible not to have a second referendum  
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    colthe3rd said:

Doesn't matter because the lie fits people's world view that immigrants = bad. Foreign = bad 
  • Options
    Is it true that Diane Abbott was wearing two left shoes today or was that a photoshop? It did make me laugh though. 
  • Options
    switching from BBC to ITV chat .. ITV so much better .. so far
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    se9addick said:
    Rothko said:
    BTW, how do you stop the SNP now from getting another referendum? Scotland is so far away from England and Wales now, they've overwhelmingly voted remain twice now if this is an EU related election. Their mandate is stronger then ever
    Because Boris said he won’t grant another referendum and, with a majority of this size, he won’t have to do anything he doesn’t want to.

The Tories will then get a shoeing in the Scottish Parliament elections next year,  you then can't really say no if the SNP win a Scottish election with a majority (and they'll get close to 50% of the vote as well)
    i think the results up in Holyrood next year could really leave it impossible not to have a second referendum  
    How can Boris be forced into it if he has an enormous majority? There needs to be a transfer of power from Westminster to Holyrood which requires executive approval or a vote in Westminster - Boris can stop either giving said approval very easily.  
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

So these “immigrants “ go home and wages will rise?
  • Options
    I’m interested to see how the ‘yoof’ vote holds up. Can’t see many students getting out of bed to vote if it’s raining out and Pointless is on TV.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Apparently, 22,000 voters were polled at 150-odd stations? If I read the figures right.

If so, that's a huge margin for error, even if you assume the (I guess) 350 safe seats weren't polled and were assumed.

I don't doubt Ipsos Mori are kosher, but this sounds like a potential overestimation.

One hopes. 
    Polls during the campaign are inaccurate but exit polls are pretty good mate. Would have to have made some huge methodological error to be out by more than 15 seats. Unless something radical has happened.
  • Options
    Pound has rose sharply on the Exit poll
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    colthe3rd said:

Clearly the first 13 words are.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Sadly, I think this needed to happen if the exit polls are about right.

We have the awful tories, followed by the absolute dregs. As people have said, hopefully this will mean the Labour party can progress and provide a meaningful opposition, it really shouldn't be difficult right now even if Brexit muddy the waters.

If those at the helm of Labour don't smell the coffee now then we really are in trouble politically.

Sad times, but hopefully the wake up call that's needed.
    I may have misunderstood but are you saying those that voted Tory are the absolute dregs?
    Lol, no not worded very well, I'm referring to the Tories (not their voters) being awful and the following parties (predominantly Labour) being the dregs, again the parties not the voters.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Rothko said:
    colthe3rd said:

The first paragraph is though.
    I sorry but it isn't. 17.4 million people have not been denied Brexit.
  • Options
    Blyth Valley turn out down 3% on 2017
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Rothko said:
    se9addick said:
    Rothko said:

How can Boris be forced into it if he has an enormous majority? There needs to be a transfer of power from Westminster to Holyrood which requires executive approval or a vote in Westminster - Boris can stop either giving said approval very easily.  
    You end up with a Catalonia situation on your own doorstep, wouldn't be surprised if the SNP then called a non binding referendum, win that, and even more hell breaks loose 
  • Options
    Clinging on to the hope that Boris might have lost his seat.
  • Options
    Clinging on to the hope that Boris might have lost his seat.
    No chance 
  • Options
    at least with a Tory win we have certainty over our future in Europe .. the Brexit issue has been stinking out the HOC for far too long .. I doubt there will be a realistic move for independence in Scotland .. hot air and dislike of the English is a bigger vote catcher than the idea of actual 'independence' .. BUT if they REALLY do wanna go .. then bye bye and fare thee well
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!