Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stoke City v Charlton Athletic | Sat 08 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match views

Comments

• Options
    For those watching on TV, were their second and third goals off side? Replays in the ground on the big screen suggested they might be. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Worst day of results of the season so far.  Unless someone gets a point deduction it looks like 3 from 4 now. 

OR

We are exactly where we were at the start of the day. Four points clear of the bottom three.
    Yes but the real point is that there are two fewer teams below us than there were this morning. 

It's an irrelevant point. 20th or 21st doesn't matter. We're still ahead of 22nd.
    It's not irrelevant at all. Better to have 3 teams below us and hope that one does badly than depend on one doing badly.

Wigan are 10th on the recent form table, we're 18th.

Go figure.
  • Options
    For those watching on TV, were their second and third goals off side? Replays in the ground on the big screen suggested they might be. 
    2nd one looked like it was. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    At the start of the season our previous owner gave us by far and away the lowest budget in the division. 

In January our 2-5 year PL ambition new owners opened up the purse strings by losing the wages of Gallagher, Kayal, Leko and Ledley and getting a sell on from Fosu and replacing with the wages of Greene, Smith, Davis and McGeady.  I have absolutely no doubt our budget has not changed and we remain with by far and away the lowest budget in this division.  

Despite occasional baffling decisions Bowyer has done a wonderful job keeping us out of the bottom 3 so far and competitive in every game.

Losing Gallagher and Leko stripped so much attacking impetus and goals from the team and Matt Southall a Super duper deal phone failed to replace them.

Frustrating day, on to the next game.
    Erm. Though they have different strengths and weaknesses I would say that overall Andre Green is probably a better player than Leko.

I miss Gallagher though. Would have loved his energy in that midfield today. 
    Not on today's showing, Green was absolutely dreadful.
    Didn’t get the ball often enough in dangerous areas. One of the few times he did he put in a great cross for our goal.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    It was really sad that so many were singing the fxxx the pope song at half time. Is blatant religious intolerance the new norm ??
  • Options
    2nd one looked like it was. 
    3rd one wasn’t offside, but should have been our throw in 30 seconds earlier. Lino instead gave it to them and they went straight up the other end and scored
  • Options
    We wont win too many games having just 4 shots at goal with only 2 being on target. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stoke have picked up 17 points from their last 8 home games.

It's easy to give a lazy look at the table and think we should be getting something there but Stoke are a very good side at home since November and today was always going to be tough.
    When you are on a run like we are, every point is a bonus.  Let alone people thinking we can win games.
    We will only stay up as Luton and Barnsley look nailed on and it looks like a fight between us and Wigan.
    Leeds needing points to go up, us needing points to stay up.   Do not wear your colours.
  • Options
    Just seen the goals.... their 2nd is definitely onside. 
  • Options
    Red flags all over the place after the Barnsley win. Yes we got 3 points but I thought we were poor especially in the 2nd half and were playing hoof ball. Sounds like we were poor again today.
  • Options
    Based on the 65 minutes i've seen of their game so far, we aren't going to get much at Forest in midweek either.
  • Options
    At least our goal difference is better than the others down the bottom
    I like the difference down the bottom.
  • Options
    Glad I didn't go today.  Wondering what it will be like at Huddersfield.
  • Options
    Fans treated.like shit by the local plod. Even more awkward when the team turned up at.the station 
  • Options
    Only one win at Stoke in 60 years, many of those games with decent addick teams. So why would today be different with a struggling team? Need to win home games. 
  • Options
    Fans treated.like shit by the local plod. Even more awkward when the team turned up at.the station 

Feel like we've been in and out of Basra for the day, such was the level of security. 
  • Options
    At the start of the season our previous owner gave us by far and away the lowest budget in the division. 

In January our 2-5 year PL ambition new owners opened up the purse strings by losing the wages of Gallagher, Kayal, Leko and Ledley and getting a sell on from Fosu and replacing with the wages of Greene, Smith, Davis and McGeady.  I have absolutely no doubt our budget has not changed and we remain with by far and away the lowest budget in this division.  

Despite occasional baffling decisions Bowyer has done a wonderful job keeping us out of the bottom 3 so far and competitive in every game.

Losing Gallagher and Leko stripped so much attacking impetus and goals from the team and Matt Southalls Super duper deal phone failed to replace them.

Frustrating day, on to the next game.
    Agree. The new owners have done nothing to help us get out of this situation. All words and not enough action.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shrew said:
    It was really sad that so many were singing the fxxx the pope song at half time. Is blatant religious intolerance the new norm ??
    Is it intolerance or indifference? Can you explain the lyrics and context?
  • Options
    At Leicester services eating a Burger King, the highlight of my afternoon ...

Outplayed by Stoke, and they  worked as hard too . Really disappointed in Bowyer today, the first half was awful yet he changed nothing until we were 3-1 down and the game effectively over. 

I wasn't confident before the game, I expected a hard game but we were unacceptably bad, as bad as against Wigan and Luton.

It says something about how Bowyer feels about Hemed that we only used 2 subs today and he wasn't one of them. I wasn't happy we didn't sign another striker in the window,  and today did nothing to change my mind. I hope McGeady can make a difference as we looked desperately ordinary and toothless today.
  • Options
    Matthews definitely plays the 2nd onside.
  • Options
    At the game, we were 2nd best everywhere today sadly.

Was in nice seats with mainly home supporters who felt today was a must win, it showed in the way they played and we didnt.

Our must wins are our upcoming home games. Onto Forest tuesday when I am back in the cheap seats! 

Our support sounded loud throughout so well done all who were there 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Worst day of results of the season so far.  Unless someone gets a point deduction it looks like 3 from 4 now. 

OR

We are exactly where we were at the start of the day. Four points clear of the bottom three.
    Yes but the real point is that there are two fewer teams below us than there were this morning. 

It's an irrelevant point. 20th or 21st doesn't matter. We're still ahead of 22nd.
    It isn’t irrelevant. If there are three or four teams within a few points it is unlikely that they will all get past you. If it is effectively one v one which is the scenario that’s emerging then we are in real trouble if Wigan string a few results together. 

If it’s any consolation I watched Wigan v Preston and they are just as hopeless as us if not worse. 
  • Options
    As someone who has enjoyed dry sheets all season I must admit that maybe we're not as good as I thought we were. 
  • Options
    Don’t over analyse it.

Win your home games. Saturday is very important now. I always fancy us at home. I never fancy us in windy tough away days up north. 

We’ll be a different, and better, team on Saturday. 
    Don’t over analyse it?! Yer avin’ a laff mate. 
  • Options
    The Best team Won Today,
    and although their second goal was offside,
    and the referee was a total muppet.

We were Crap and did not deserve even a point.
    if we play like this against forest on Tuesday we will be thrashed 5-0.
    massive hole in the midfield and shit defence.

i still do not think we are going down yet ?
    as there are at least 4 teams worse than us.

Terrible day 😟👎👎
  • Options
    Shrew said:
    Classic bants! Highly original...
  • Options
    I think the last five or six years ownership has left us with a team of honest triers, without a massive amount of quality. We’ve been found out in the Championship, especially now Gallagher has gone. 
    Hoping our A team can win enough home games to cling on.